• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
generic-musicgame-157arjsp.jpg

congrats to the team, and specially the people responsible for the music: Daniel Olsén, Jonathan Eng, and Linnea Olsson
an extremely well deserved award. you can listen to the soundtrack on youtube/spotify/apple music/etc

here are some of my favorite tracks from the soundtrack:

Apr 21, 2018
I picked this up on a whim the other week because the YouTube Game Design Doc raves about the graphic design. I gotta say I'm really enjoying the game and the music!

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
I really need to get this game already as I've been listening to various tracks on Spotify.

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Those nominees tho.

Where was:
  • Ace Combat 7
  • FFXIV: ShadowBringers
  • Cadence of Hyrule
  • Kingdom Hearts III
  • Fire Emblem: Three Houses
IGN has really been snubbing things this year.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
this game is magnificent! Its soundtrack is easily the best of the year and is not even close.

Ahh, and that Clair De Tune track, i remember it from The Evil Within. Great stuff!

kiriku

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, been listening to the soundtrack to and from work for a while now, love it. The soundtrack is nice but what really makes it shine are the vocal tracks. Funny fact is that I was a big fan of Linnea Olsson years before this game, and out of nowhere I recognize the voice in the game and had to look it up, and turns out it was her! A bit of a bummer that she didn't bring her cello along for this soundtrack, but still a lovely voice. I recommend people checking her music out, it's almost all in English (more acoustic than this soundtrack though).

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OST sounds dope - how's the game itself?
it's a pretty simple rhythm game. the only controls are one analog stick and one button. if you just want to get to the end it's not very challenging, but there are gold ranks and "riddles" (an in-game achievement system) that add a decent amount of replay value.
i really liked it, but perhaps it was more because of how extremely well it works as an interactive visual album, and less because of how it is as a "game".

hamghost

Sep 1, 2019
Dead of Night has ended up as one of my songs of the year (from a game or otherwise), so well deserved I say!

Nov 2, 2017
Warszawa
I have this game on switch, but I dont feel it. You mainly use the analog stick to move from left to right and sometimes tap the A button. The gameplay is very shallow and the levels are also strangely short. The soundtrack is nice but I dont feel like your actions "create" music like in Rez for example. What is to love about this besides gfx and ost?

Heruderu

Oct 29, 2017
I have this game on switch, but I dont feel it. You mainly use the analog stick to move from left to right and sometimes tap the A button. The gameplay is very shallow and the levels are also strangely short. The soundtrack is nice but I dont feel like your actions "create" music like in Rez for example. What is to love about this besides gfx and ost?
It's not a rhythm game, so your actions don't dictate the music, and they're not supposed to. It's a visual pop album. You play to listen to the songs and see nice visuals and feel lesbian love.

I think it does the job pretty well, for what they intended to create.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo

I wanted to buy this game, but what you are describing is exactly why I will never buy it. To each his own I guess, but I need more than pretty visuals and a good music to enjoy my time playing a video game.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Beauty of soundtrack. Well deserved, hard to pick this year I'd say!

Those nominees tho.

Where was:
  • Ace Combat 7
  • FFXIV: ShadowBringers
  • Cadence of Hyrule
  • Kingdom Hearts III
  • Fire Emblem: Three Houses
IGN has really been snubbing things this year.

There's been a ton of great soundtracks this year, there were gonna be many snubs for sure... sadly. My personal favorite wasnt nominated and isnt even in your extended list :P Astral Chain.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I wanted to buy this game, but what you are describing is exactly why I will never buy it. To each his own I guess, but I need more than pretty visuals and a good music to enjoy my time playing a video game.
How involved the game is depends entirely on if you're aiming for gold ranks or not.

You get respawned right where you crashed every time, so game isn't that involving if your goal is just to get to the end of every level. However, dying resets your score multiplier, which is essential for scoring, so dying a lot basically kills your score. At the same time, hearts and score items are often placed in dangerous places, so you have to manage risk and reward and try to get as much as possible without crashing into a wall at 200 miles per hour.

Sayonara Wild Hearts played for completion is an audiovisual experience. Sayonara Wild Hearts played for gold ranks is a twitchy arcade game... and an audiovisual experience.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely the right choice. Shadowbringers is second for me this year.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Seems decent, sort of Scandinavian synth pop / electronica. Obviously not having played the game it loses a lot of the impact.

Mine would probably be Death Stranding, although I did enjoy DMCV OST quite a bit for its cheesy hype factor.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Inside
The World We Knew
Wild Hearts Never Die

All of the vocal tracks are amazing, and most of the other tracks are great too. The post-game mode is my favorite way to play it. Nice being able to fire it up and knock it out in like an hour.

It's a great choice, Katana Zero/Cadence of Hyrule are amazing as well and I can't decide which is my favorite this year

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kingdom hearts 3 uses a lot of classic songs and that might disqualify it since it's the series ending* (I know not really but ya know)

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
OST sounds dope - how's the game itself?
I loved the soundtrack, but the game didn't click for me as someone who enjoys a lot of music/rhythm games. As other posters say, the urge to replay would come from wanting to score better, but the game does anything it can to keep you from wanting to do this: it asks you if you want to skip a section after only a few deaths in a spot, and it often uses "gotcha" path design & camera work so that you won't notice an item or even understand how to move relative to the camera to keep on track on your first playthrough of a song, which is extremely discouraging. It asks you to memorize much more than it asks for any kind of rhythm game skill, and that's the opposite of what I had hoped for.

All that said, it's really pretty and I don't regret playing through it, but I don't expect to go back to it for any extended amount of time.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yup, been listening to the soundtrack to and from work for a while now, love it. The soundtrack is nice but what really makes it shine are the vocal tracks. Funny fact is that I was a big fan of Linnea Olsson years before this game, and out of nowhere I recognize the voice in the game and had to look it up, and turns out it was her! A bit of a bummer that she didn't bring her cello along for this soundtrack, but still a lovely voice. I recommend people checking her music out, it's almost all in English (more acoustic than this soundtrack though).
have you seen this? she plays her cello in this performance of "a place i don't know"

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
Well deserved. The game is a good experience, but the soundtrack outshines everything else by far. Aside from the vocal tracks, Parallel Universes is a big favorite for me (both the music and the stage).