Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
http://www.vulture.com/2018/07/scarlett-johansson-joins-massage-parlor-drama-rub-and-tug.html

Scarlett Johansson and Ghost in the Shell director Rupert Sanders are teaming up once again, and while there doesn't seem to be any whitewashing going on this time around, according to Deadline, Johansson will be starring in a biopic about Dante "Tex" Gill, born Jean Gill, a transmasculine crime boss who dominated Pittsburgh's "illicit" massage-parlor industry in the 1970s. Despite feuding with the mob, serving time for tax evasion, and running "an anabolic steroids ring that helped fuel the Pittsburgh Steelers' NFL dynasty," it will reportedly be Gill's "fiery romance" with wife Cynthia Bruno that forms the "emotional core" of the film.

"You didn't like white lady playing Asian lady, maybe you'll like cis lady playing trans man"

[Mod edit: additional source claiming ScarJo will play "Tex" Gill: https://www.theguardian.com/film/20...n-to-play-mob-connected-massage-parlour-owner ]

Further update: she's pulled out of the role https://variety.com/2018/film/news/scarlett-johansson-exit-rub-and-tug-trans-backlash-1202872981/

"In light of recent ethical questions raised surrounding my casting as Dante Tex Gill, I have decided to respectfully withdraw my participation in the project," Johansson told Out Magazine, which first reported the news, in a statement. "Our cultural understanding of transgender people continues to advance, and I've learned a lot from the community since making my first statement about my casting and realize it was insensitive. I have great admiration and love for the trans community and am grateful that the conversation regarding inclusivity in Hollywood continues. According to GLAAD, LGBTQ+ characters dropped 40% in 2017 from the previous year, with no representation of trans characters in any major studio release."

"While I would have loved the opportunity to bring Dante's story and transition to life, I understand why many feel he should be portrayed by a transgender person, and I am thankful that this casting debate, albeit controversial, has sparked a larger conversation about diversity and representation in film," the statement continues. "I believe that all artists should be considered equally and fairly. My production company, These Pictures, actively pursues projects that both entertain and push boundaries. We look forward to working with every community to bring these most poignant and important stories to audiences worldwide."

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2018
For someone that champions progressive values so much, she sure loses sight of that when there's a pay check attached.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Er, since trans identity doesn't necessarily require physical alteration, I don't think people will be as up in arms over this as the OP suggests. Plenty of straight or cis-gendered actors have portrayed LGBTQ individuals in film before.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Interesting subject matter but why the fuck would she work with him again?
Maybe they have a great work relationship but that's just not a good career choice. He has a terrible filmography.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I suppose the problem is that there are not many high-profile trans male actors. At least not that I know of. Who are the best known trans male actors?

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
I liked GITS great art direction. Too bad it got vilified (I may get vilified for saying I liked it). It could have open doors for more Anime movies with budgets. Oh well I have the artbook.

PhazonBlonde

User requested ban
Banned
May 18, 2018
Somewhere deep in space
Are you saying lgbtq roles should only be played by lgbtq actors?
No hard and fast rule, but it's fucking gross that most media doesn't care to hire queer people for queer roles, especially as concerns non binary and trans people. Also hiring a cis woman to play a trans man is transphobic as fuck.

[QUOTE="Volimar, post: 9989408, member: 4961"]Are you wanting more jobs to go to members of the LGBTQ community or do you think that cis people should only play cis people and queer people should only play queer people?[/QUOTE]

That. Also it's very transphobic to get a cis woman to play a trans man (or a cis man to play a trans woman, as a vice versa).

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017
Scarlet Johanson has not been picking good movies and I don't know why she would even work with Rupert Sanders again. Probably going to be another flop on her resume.

T'Chakku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I suppose the problem is that there are not many high-profile trans male actors. At least not that I know of. Who are the best known trans male actors?
Ruby Rose is the only one I know of.
And there will continue to be very few high profile trans actors as long as their roles go to straight actors.

OP
OP
Sweeney Swift

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
Would this include a moratorium on all straight actors playing gay characters or vice versa? Genuinely curious, not trolling.
There are plenty of LGBTQ+ actors and people who want to get their foot in the door of the industry, who would love to be part of any of these films, who are constantly ignored or pushed aside because studios feel more comfortable working with straight actors despite how progressive they claim to be

When it comes to telling our stories, they don't want us being involved in the telling of them

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No hard and fast rule, but it's fucking gross that most media doesn't care to hire queer people for queer roles, especially as concerns non binary and trans people. Also hiring a cis woman to play a trans man is transphobic as fuck.
You got that from a paragraph that describes the premise of the movie? Can we at least wait for the trailer to see how they handle the character? Not saying they'll do right by him, but they deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And there will continue to be very few high profile trans actors as long as their roles go to straight actors.

Yeah it is a bit chicken and egg. You can see why a studio would want a big name to front a (presumably) big budget film though - otherwise it doesn't get made

PhazonBlonde

User requested ban
Banned
May 18, 2018
Somewhere deep in space
Ruby Rose is non binary (genderfluid). She would be an acceptable choice to play a trans man I think, since at one point she questioned her gender identity rather heavily. I am not trans nor non binary however, so I can't speak to that, other nonbinary or trans people could address how they feel about her.

Meauxse

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA

I certainly understand where you are coming from and I agree with your last point. I'm not sure if I agree given the nature of "actor" but socially aware casting in this time is important and clearly doable. Star power, a dubious quantitative quality, is a thing and does attract viewers for their business venture.

There should be someone to fill this trans role.

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Do we even know if she is playing the transmasculine dude? If she's not then it's not really a big deal is it?

Illithid Dude

Oct 26, 2017
Actors shouldn't only play those they are the same as. That's why it's called Acting. You place yourself in the shoes of others. I see no issue with this, as long as it's good (it won't be).

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
There are plenty of LGBTQ+ actors and people who want to get their foot in the door of the industry, who would love to be part of any of these films, who are constantly ignored or pushed aside because studios feel more comfortable working with straight actors despite how progressive they claim to be

When it comes to telling our stories, they don't want us being involved in the telling of them

It doesn't help that the Hollywood system generally sticks to making movies with a handful of star talent, very rarely taking a shot with anybody who isn't a celebrity. People like ScarJo get cast in stuff like this because her name will sell it.

PhazonBlonde

User requested ban
Banned
May 18, 2018
Somewhere deep in space
I certainly understand where you are coming from and I agree with your last point. I'm not sure if I agree given the nature of "actor" but socially aware casting in this time is important and clearly doable. Star power, a dubious quantitative quality, is a thing and does attract viewers for their business venture.

There should be someone to fill this trans role.

Agree with you. I think there's a way to promote trans and non binary actors though without comprimising the overall star quality of the film. There are plenty of hot, capable trans men out there (I've dated one). Just cast a well known actress as his wife, since it seems their romance is a huge part of the film. Just build up a great cast around them if they're to have the leading role. Holywood gonna Holywood though :(

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't help that the Hollywood system generally sticks to making movies with a handful of star talent, very rarely taking a shot with anybody who isn't a celebrity. People like ScarJo get cast in stuff like this because her name will sell it.

Which is funny cuz she ends up in a lot of awful movies.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
She's likely playing the wife Cynthia you sillies :P

Gil is on the left and cynthia is on the right.

y67ITpT.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.