• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Metacritic (PC) (79)
Metacritic (PS4) (79)
Metacritic (PS5) (80)
Metacritic (Xbox One) (??)
Metacritic (Xbox Series X|S) (77)
OpenCritic (80)

Polygon (no score):
Scarlet Nexus has a colorful cast of characters and an impressive variety of gameplay mechanics, but for me, the unexpected cherry on top was its story. The chapters are very well-paced, and none of them overstays its welcome. 2021 is seeing quite a lot of JRPGs, with many of them being continuations of existing franchises or just remasters. But after having played through both of Scarlet Nexus' storylines, I believe it has the potential to be a surprise hit this year for fans of the genre. Don't let this brand-new futuristic brainpunk adventure slip past you.

Rock Paper Shotgun (no score):
Scarlet Nexus is a decent game of two parts, and both have weaknesses. The combat is swish, stylish and usually competent, but there are too many foibles that stop it from feeling like a truly great RPG. The story is vibrant YA dystopian fiction that goes JRPG-cuckoo (in a good, laugh-out-loud way) at the 15 hour mark. But the plot has more holes than a chain-link fence. Why do people on opposing sides of a civil war keep brain-texting each other to make small talk? Why does nobody bring up the very significant murder that occurred earlier in the story?

I don't think those problems are enough to put off folks who fancy a Netflix anime series with a playable combat system attached. But for me it's enough to defeat the central gimmick of the game, the twin protagonists. I already know I don't want to play the same levels again with knife collector Kasane, for example, when I could just watch a YouTube compilation of the cutscenes. When something is broken into two parts, only those with the patience to put it together will see the benefit. But that's too much repetition for me.

Unranked Podcast (video review)

GameGrin (10/10):
Scarlet Nexus is easily one of the best games so far this year and a strong contender for game of the year. With addictive gameplay and compelling narrative, there is plenty to love in this Brain Punk vision of a psionic future.

Digitally Downloaded (5/5):
Scarlet Nexus is one of the most interesting new JRPGs that we've seen in a while from a big publisher. Combining a beautifully elegant, but also visceral combat system with a rich and evocative theme, and hugely entertaining characters, this game is available on the previous generation, I know, but in design and execution, it's very much the perfect new-generation experience.

God is a Geek (9.5/10):
Scarlet Nexus has some of the finest combat I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing. It never gets old, with new mechanics added throughout. Your party is your family. You'll care greatly for each person, and even if some of the Bond Episodes start to feel a bit repetitive, the overall journey is enjoyable. It's such a gorgeous game, with hints of Blade Runner scattered throughout. Magnificent gameplay, a deep story with plenty of threads, warming characters, and a satisfying end that climaxes in one of the most intense boss battles I've ever seen. Scarlet Nexus really is the complete package.

MP1st (9/10):
Scarlet Nexus is an excellent new IP, one that feels fresh and invigorating in not only in it's story, but also it's high exhilarating fast paced combat. I am pleasantly surprised, as while I went into this review with little-to no expectations, this title has certainly left a lasting impression on me. There's a bright future for Scarlet Nexus that we cannot wait to see unravel.

Game Informer (8.75/10):
Whatever brainpunk's take on over-the-top psychic reality is, I'm into it now. Bandai Namco has crafted something truly strange and quite satisfying with Scarlet Nexus, and I hope we get a slightly more refined sequel.

Wccftech (8.5/10):
With masterfully crafted action combat, charming characters, and a very interesting setting, Scarlet Nexus is a game that action RPG fans should definitely not miss. While the game lacks any real innovation, as it features themes and mechanics lifted from other Japanese RPG series, and it is a little too linear, the high quality of the experience makes it easy to look past these few issues, making Scarlet Nexus a memorable, and extremely enjoyable game.

RPGFan (83/100):
Despite a slow start, a rough final dungeon, weak side content, and an ambition that surpasses its grasp, Scarlet Nexus manages to excel in the most important area for any game: being fun. Combat never gets old as you tear apart your enemies in glorious style, and the large cast of characters really grows on you. I hope we see more of this gameplay and setting. If you can forgive a few flaws, Scarlet Nexus is a joy to play and has the potential to become a beloved franchise.

Easy Allies (8/10, video review):
Scarlet Nexus more than delivers on the action with its impressive combat system, which alone almost makes it worth the price of admission. Surrounded by an intriguing world and strong cast of characters, it has the makings of a solid new series for Bandai Namco, though exploration leaves something to be desired. Offering up two similar campaigns might seem like a huge misstep, but completing either protagonist's story provides a satisfying narrative and conclusion on its own, and the intimidating task of a second playthrough is tempered by the inclusion of new game plus. At the end of this journey, we're left fulfilled, but strangely still yearning for more, wondering at the possibilities the future might hold for this striking new endeavor.

TheSixthAxis (8/10):
From its compelling story, to its wild enemy designs and combat, I'm kind of in awe of Scarlet Nexus. Where Bandai Namco games often have a niche appeal, I've got no reservations about recommending Scarlet Nexus. I'd definitely suggest skipping a lot of the side stories, but everything else here is the kind of anime-infused greatness that will appeal to nearly everyone.

NME (4/5):
Scarlet Nexus takes a more is more approach to its design, which suits the game's visuals and action very well. It's loud, sumptuous and thrilling, with layers of complexity and some amazing monsters to fight. It's just a shame it also has to battle so hard against a less accomplished story that's desperate to steal top billing.

PlayStation Universe (8/10):
Whether you latch on to the interesting technological tale of Scarlet Nexus or dig into its intricate combat system Scarlet Nexus is well worth your time and effort. It's full of beautiful characters, strange creatures, and plot twists. The camera can be irksome and some of the environments can look dated but overall the experience is a pleasant one. There is a fair amount of content for your hard-earned cash and the game never outstays its welcome. I can recommend it to most players, even people who rarely dip into the JRPG genre, such as myself.

Cubed3 (8/10):
Scarlet Nexus blends a unique Brain Punk visual style with tight combat that requires adaptation and synergy. The Others are the game's ace up its sleeve with bizarre but creative creature variety. Each enemy type demands adaptability with the assortment of abilities at Yuito and Kasane's disposal thanks to their squadmates. Outside of combat, character moments shine in Bond Episodes and the writing is complemented well by a talented English voice cast. The variety of personalities does well to carry the weight of the convoluted plot as it progresses. However, the slideshow presentation of the vast majority of cutscenes diminishes the emotional impact of events that would have benefited more from animation. The game provides a solid gameplay experience on PC and I look forward to what this team can come up with next.

PC Invasion (8/10):
Filled to the brim with visual novel conversations and over-the-top action, Scarlet Nexus is a surprisingly endearing game that might be more linear than people expect, but more compelling than it probably needed to be.

Attack of the Fanboy (4/5):
Overall, Scarlet Nexus is a simple, yet great and enjoyable experience for any fan of the genre out there. You hunt monsters, make yourself and your allies stronger, gather resources for making new cosmetics and gear, constantly unlock new features for inside and outside of combat, all that while you watch an interesting story materialize in front of your eyes. It really is a modernized, old-school adventure which will satisfy anyone, even with the few drawbacks it has and the rather slow beginning.

Siliconera (8/10):
Scarlet Nexus is the sort of game where not only will its combat sell it, but the story and spoilers packed into it will too. It is a title where I was constantly thrown by elements. Sometimes it was an exceptionally clever application of a power. It could be a great enemy design. Or maybe a twist would get me. Even when I wasn't exactly thrilled with how something might work, I found myself wanting to talk about it.

Twinfinite (4/5):
The combat in Scarlet Nexus is no doubt the star of the show. Even when it becomes hard to take the narrative seriously, those sweet, sweet combat mechanics will pull you right back in, no matter which protagonist you choose.

Press Start (7.5/10):
Despite some glaring flaws in its pacing and length, I've come away from Scarlet Nexus enjoying what it had to offer. It delivers on the promise a brain-punk inspired world with an enjoyable narrative and a stylish albeit simple combat system. The result is a title that's greater than the sum of its parts and is worth experiencing if you can look past its problems.

Cultured Vultures (7.5/10):
While there are gameplay hiccups and under-utilized systems, Scarlet Nexus has enough exciting combat and brain-twisting story to find its audience, and deliver major fun for those who enjoy its acquired taste.

GamesRadar (3.5/5):
Scarlet Nexus has some great fun to offer through its experimental and varied combat system, and there's a deluge of skills, attacks, and counters to mish-mash against one another for increasingly satisfying results. What ultimately lets Bandai Namco's action game down is outside of the action itself, where side characters never amount to memorable, enjoyable companions, and a side quest structure that feels more primed to provide the player with character-boosting XP than tales that capitalize on the intriguing glowing city surrounding them. Scarlet Nexus casts its eye over plenty of intriguing subjects in its plot, but it never lingers on one area long enough to properly analyze and break down the tough subject matter.

GameSpew (7/10):
Offering a lengthy adventure that you'll need to play through twice if you want the full picture, Scarlet Nexus is entertaining enough. Due to numerous issues with its gameplay, however, it's a game that's carried by its story. It's a shame really, because the world created here is genuinely interesting and unique; I'd certainly like to see more Scarlet Nexus games in the future, and will definitely check out the anime when it arrives on Netflix. But there were times throughout my adventure where the combat was irritating rather than fun, and traipsing through an environment just felt like a chore rather than an exciting foray into the unknown.

TheGamer (3.5/5):
If you're after an anime-infused action romp in a similar vein to Akira or Sword Art Online, Scarlet Nexus is almost certainly worth a punt. However, there are a few caveats. Combat is excellent yet not without its flaws, while the story being told and characters you encounter don't have nearly enough depth to feel emotionally resonant. The potential for something brilliant is here, but much like Code Vein before it, this is a game that seems determined to stop itself from achieving something truly special.

Windows Central (3.5/5):
Scarlet Nexus might waste its original concept and world with unambitious gameplay, but there's fun to be had for those action game fans not looking to reinvent the wheel.

VG247 (3/5):
If you like the sound of a deep RPG with extensive combat mechanics, Scarlet Nexus shouldn't disappoint. If you are expecting something more akin to Devil May Cry, you might find the extensive storytelling gets in the way of the gameplay a little too much. With that said, you can still enjoy it if you're not an anime connoisseur. There's plenty of fun to be had for all players because it's great once it gets going – but I fear it might lose people in its opening few hours.

Stevivor (6/10):
I mentioned Code Vein, Bayonetta and Persona at the beginning of this review and I'm also aware how different those three properties are. Scarlet Nexus isn't for me, but those who like the frenzy of Bayonetta, the quirkiness of Persona or the aesthetic of Code Vein (but not its Soulslike component) could find something that clicks. Thankfully, a demo is available on Xbox and PlayStation consoles, last- and current-gen. Give it a try before you buy… and if you do decide to pull the trigger, you'll also benefit from some in-game bonus items as a reward for your test.

Dexerto (6/10):
Scarlet Nexus is an action role-playing game that heavily focuses on style over substance. While its flashy combat and unique Brain Punk setting may help it stand out among other games of its ilk, Bandai Namco's latest title falls short in a number of ways. However, if you're you're willing to put up with its familiar anime tropes, bland environments, and overly simplistic combat, then there is some fun to be had.

Hardcore Gamer (2.5/5):
Who's to say what the real, developer-side cause is for Scarlet Nexus' failings. What was already a mammoth undertaking in crafting a competent-enough hack-and-slash action game that could muscle its way into the spotlight, Bandai Namco's latest in-house creation is not just inadequate in appeasing long-time fans of the genre, but worse, comes across ignorant of its own player's time.

Last edited:

GreatBriTom

Host/Producer at GameSpot
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I absolutely adored Scarlet Nexus. From its excellently paced story to its engaging combat, this truly feels like a JRPG that non-JRPG fans can sink their teeth into.

My review:

mazi

Last edited:

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely adored Scarlet Nexus. From its excellently paced story to its engaging combat, this truly feels like a JRPG that non-JRPG fans can sink their teeth into.

My review:

We'll I'm definitely falling under that description so I guess I'm gonna check out your review.

Edit: Nice review. I'm interested. Hadn't really payed attention to it before but that combat does look good.

Last edited:

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
Scarlet Nexus review embargo got pushed back one hour to 8:00AM PT so expect the remainder to drop then.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Maybe I need to try the demo again. I know there's been positive buzz and these early reviews are quite positive but what I played honestly just seemed so bad. I really feel like I missed something.

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
My review will be going up at 8AM PST. The ones that got published now are the EU reviews. It looks like EU didn't get the same message that the embargo was pushed back an hour.

Aladan

Dec 23, 2019
Maybe I need to try the demo again. I know there's been positive buzz and these early reviews are quite positive but what I played honestly just seemed so bad. I really feel like I missed something.

In my opinion the demo was not good. To much gameplay systems and no real introduction into the story.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Waiting to see PC-based impressions so I can decide between PS5/PC... Pretty excited from what I'm seeing so far in general.

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Really enjoyed the demo on PS4 Pro, except for for the framerate. Would be day 1 for me if I would be able to buy a PS5. Need to play that game with 60fps.

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
The gameplay was solid on the X demo, posessing a tiny little bit of construction equipment and having it drive over an enemy in the middle of combat was cute.

The story was nonsense though and the characters were...let's just say I'm always wary when a character is introduced who looks like 12, is scantily dressed and the first thing the game goes on about is "anti-aging pills"

Feels gross.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
wow, was surprised to see a 9.5 at the top, but then there are a few 6s, too. Will wait for a sale regardless, but good to see some good reviews.

OsramTaleka

Nov 25, 2020
It isn't very often that you see the same piece of visual art described as gorgeous and bland by two different critics.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I quite liked the demo although I definitely preferred Code Vein's demo some years ago. I'll check it out once I can get it cheap.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Loved the demo way more than I expected. If I didn't have so much to play, I'd probably grab this day 1. But definitely going to grab it sometime down the line for sure.