• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Satanael

Oct 27, 2017
Watchmen

Anytime Rorschach went Enter the Dragon. Made no sense for a hobo private detective to fight like Neo against a bunch of swat members.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
X-men:
"Do you know what happens to a toad when its struck by lightning?"
"The same thing that happens to everything else."

Fuck whoever wrote that line.

That would be Joss Whedon. To be fair to him, the script he wrote had Toad spouting random toad facts every time he did anything in the movie. Storm saying that to him at the end was supposed to be a big "Take that" moment to the annoying self-aggrandizing trivia guy. A rewrite after Whedon was off the project removed the toad facts running gag but kept the punchline for reasons nobody will ever understand.

When Carl Winslow talks about shooting a kid who had a toy gun as the reason he can't use a gun anymore, but has no problem blowing away the last henchman at the end of Die Hard.

It is so weird when people pull this one out as something that doesn't work or is bad. It's melodramatic, sure, but so's the whole movie, and the entire point of Winslow's character arc is that he can't bring himself to draw his gun anymore, but McClane's heroism inspires him to be able to draw his gun again to save McClane at the end. He doesn't have "no problem" doing it, it's the biggest moment his character has in the movie. Look at his face in the shot, he can't even believe he did it.

Briarios

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is always and forever this:

Starring_Mickey_Rooney.jpg

Mickey Rooney as a Japanese man in Breakfast at Tiffany's ... I love the movie, but these scenes are just horrible offensive stereotypes -- that it is in yellowface makes it nauseating.

I mean, look:

dCKpJ13c.jpg

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
Cat scene in Let the right one in. Such a great atmospheric movie, but that scene is painfully funny to watch.

Lackless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In LotR: RotK, where the army of the dead just sweep over the orcs and kill them all no problem. Made the deaths beforehand seem worthless.

Amroth

Oct 27, 2017
what are you talking about? It did happen in the book. Peter Jackson has said on record he hated the army of the dead but kept them in the script because he didn't want to disappoint fans of the book.

In the book
the dead men of Dunharrow help Aragorn capture the ships of the Corsairs and then he releases them. The army he brings with him to the Pelennor are made up of some rangers of the north, Gimli, Legolas, Elladan, Elrohir and men from the south of Gondor.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love this movie, no matter what everyone says, but I really dislike the Escaped Rathtar sequence on the Millenium Falcon. Didn't really feel "Star Wars" to me, and maybe it was the design of the monster or the fact that it felt 100% CG. Felt more Star Trek to me.
OP nails it. It's like I was watching an episode of Doctor Who all of a sudden! (I love Doctor Who, but I thought I was in a theater for Episode fucking VII)

Anyway, the masturbation scene in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. But I guess that was the point.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
what are you talking about? It did happen in the book. Peter Jackson has said on record he hated the army of the dead but kept them in the script because he didn't want to disappoint fans of the book.

It didn't happen that way on the books.

Instead of winning the battle for everyone, they helped Aragorn against the Corsairs of Umbar - their usefulness was just killing the corsairs so Aragorn's forces could take the ships. That was it.

The "love is an actual force in the universe" thing in Interstellar. Especially because it is easily salvageable by talking more about trusting another human (due to love) and how that has to count for something than depicting love as an actual force (as in force of nature) that somehow influences stuff. Maybe they even wanted to bring that point across. If so, it didn't really work with me. That line made roll my eyes in the cinema.

This is what I was going to post. The "love is an actual force in the universe" theme did play into the ending of the movie but I was poorly written and poorly delivered. I cringe a little bit everytime I watch that scene.

Spine_Ripper

Oct 25, 2017
Mortal Kombat - Lui Kang defeats Shang Tsung by throwing a fireball and knocking him into a bed of spikes. It's straight out the games and awesome...until Lui Kang walks over the edge and say FLAWLESS VICTORY.

Bitch you were getting your ass beat

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
In the book
the dead men of Dunharrow help Aragorn capture the ships of the Corsairs and then he releases them. The army he brings with him to the Pelennor are made up of some rangers of the north, Gimli, Legolas, Elladan, Elrohir and men from the south of Gondor.

It didn't happen that way on the books.

Instead of winning the battle for everyone, they helped Aragorn against the Corsairs of Umbar - their usefulness was just killing the corsairs so Aragorn's forces could take the ships. That was it.
ok fair enough. just seems the issue is moreso with the scripts faithfulness to the book than the scene itself. Since only Aragorn, Legolas and Gimly left the camp, they would have had to explain why the corsairs were full of real people instead of just the dead that Aragorn picked up in the mountain.

Simon Belmont

Oct 25, 2017
The beginning of John Wick. Obviously I understand why it's important to the movie. Doesn't make me want to watch it again.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I LOVE Jurassic Park, even the "boring" parts without dinosaurs or the park entertain me greatly, but i cant stand that intro where they try to unload a raptor or w/e

i skip past it entirely when i watch the movie, the movie for me starts with the lawyer looking for grant

it completely ruins the buildup of the movie when it almost blows its load in the first 5 minutes, and then completely slows the pace down, without it the movie has an almost perfect curve of ratcheting things up

i also feel for this movie the audience should have the same relationship/expectations of the dinosaurs that the characters do, that intro completely shatters the idea by putting the audience 50 minutes ahead of the characters ffs

Last edited:

Kater

Oct 25, 2017
The Rachel/Deckard "romance" scene in Blade Runner
Darwin's
death at the hands of Kevin Bacon
in X-Men First Class.
You made the black guy the mutant whose ability is literally to withstand and and adapt to any physical onslaught and make him the first and only hero to die in the movie. Couple that with him being "mourned" for a few seconds before being completely forgotten. Fuck you.
I like the movie less and less everytime I watch or even remember that scene.
Some argue that it might be intentional to show that Decker is no pure-hearted hero type of character. it's uncomfortable to watch, that much I can say for sure.

As is the scene in X-Men that you mention there.
Darwin was a character for maybe 5 minutes and then he got killed off.

Oct 26, 2017
I find the booby-trap scene in A Nightmare on Elm Street both silly and unessacary.

Everything else in it is pitch perfect.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The last 45 seconds of Moon is so unneeded and dumb.
AND THEN EARTH GOT THE MESSAGE AND THE BAD GUYS WERE EXPOSED AND EVERYTHING WAS GOOD

mac

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The last 45 seconds of Moon is so unneeded and dumb.
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

I'd say the last third was pretty dumb. It becomes a movie about hiding before the "bad guys" come. It seemed bigger than that.

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
In addition to what others have mentioned re: that Blade Runner scene, I would add that the sax music in that scene sounds really dated and cheesy compared to the rest of the soundtrack.

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
The rapey scene in Blade Runner.

Just.. why. Why did you do that.

Came to post this. The intention of the scene (as far as I can recall) being that Rachel does actually want to engage with Deckard but can't trust her emotions is so widely missed as to be unbelievable. As it stands, Deckard, after being rejected by a woman who has no where to go a no one to confide in, slams the door on her trying to leave, shoves her against a wall, physically asserts himself on her and tells her to make out with him as she cries in the corner. It's absolutely unbelievable.

The justification that Deckard isn't a sympathetic character only partially excuses it. The film clearly intended the scene to be romantic, what with the sexy jazz music playing underneath (literally called 'Love Theme'). The next time we see Rachel, she's 'in love' with Deckard and they run away together. What?

Deckard shooting Zhora in cold blood: good moral ambiguity.
Deckard raping a woman to love: monster-tier evil.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
If someone mentions the lunch scene or the dinner scene in Jurassic Park like in the GAF thread... hoo boy. Oh wait, the raptor unloading? WAH?

I never minded the rathtar sequence and I was kinda blown away by how vitriolic some people's reactions were. But I will say the Resistance meeting in TFA was pretty rough. And really, the entire transition from the second to third act. It all grinds to a hault and then proceeds to drop way too much exposition with some rushed dialogue that all just feels like "fuck it, we gotta drop all this right now so we can get the show running again". I adore the movie otherwise, but I really don't have much positive to say on that section. I doubt JJ and Kasdan do either though, to be honest.

nick shaw

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
the scenes with spritle and chim chim in Speed Racer fit perfectly into the narrative and are very important tonally and pacing-wise, and speed racer is my favorite movie, but after having seen it a couple dozen times i tend to space out when they show up on screen.

Neverfade

Oct 25, 2017
The 3 seconds in that montage insinuating Akroyd got his dick sucked by a spook is the singular stain on the otherwise perfect Ghostbusters.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Some argue that it might be intentional to show that Decker is no pure-hearted hero type of character. it's uncomfortable to watch, that much I can say for sure.

As is the scene in X-Men that you mention there.
Darwin was a character for maybe 5 minutes and then he got killed off.

Some might argue all they want about Decker showing he's "not pure hearted" by raping Rachel but we've already seen him be rude, manipulate information from people, kill openly in the street, etc. It's already pretty clear by that point that Deckard isn't a boy scout so having him force sex on Rachel does nothing but make him disgusting and come off as unnecessary for the sake of the greater plot.

Regarding Darwin in First Class.
Saying it shouldn't be a big deal because he only had 5 minutes of screen time makes it even more egregious. It means the creators created a character (again with powers that inherently should make him resistant to the death he suffers), has him form a quick and dirty bond with the rest of the heroes and die having contributed nothing. We've already seen Kevin Bacon kill previously in the movie so even using the excuse that Darwin's death solidifies him as a ruthless and dangerous threat is worthless because we as the audience already know that. There's a reason a death like Coulson's in Avengers has more weight and feels earned and that's because he actually has time to develop not just within the Avengers but over the course of the MCU movies as a whole. It has an impact because we learn to like him while Darwin's death feels cheap in comparison. This is all without even going into the fact that Darwin is also black and has to suffer a fatal death to "propel his friends to action".

Jay Shadow

Oct 28, 2017
When Trinity tells Neo's corpse that he's the one and he springs back to life.

SKRUZO

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
The cable car scene in The Grand Budapest Hotel. It's probably one of my favorite movies of all time, and I love how Wes Anderson tends towards practical effects like layering shots with small props, or just using miniatures, but the cable car scene appears to actually be animated, and for some reason really takes me out of the old-timey magic of the movie whenever I see it.

Kater

Oct 25, 2017
Some might argue all they want about Decker showing he's "not pure hearted" by raping Rachel but we've already seen him be rude, manipulate information from people, kill openly in the street, etc. It's already pretty clear by that point that Deckard isn't a boy scout so having him force sex on Rachel does nothing but make him disgusting and come off as unnecessary for the sake of the greater plot.

Regarding Darwin in First Class.
Saying it shouldn't be a big deal because he only had 5 minutes of screen time makes it even more egregious. It means the creators created a character (again with powers that inherently should make him resistant to the death he suffers), has him form a quick and dirty bond with the rest of the heroes and die having contributed nothing. We've already seen Kevin Bacon kill previously in the movie so even using the excuse that Darwin's death solidifies him as a ruthless and dangerous threat is worthless because we as the audience already know that. There's a reason a death like Coulson's in Avengers has more weight and feels earned and that's because he actually has time to develop not just within the Avengers but over the course of the MCU movies as a whole. It has an impact because we learn to like him while Darwin's death feels cheap in comparison. This is all without even going into the fact that Darwin is also black and has to suffer a fatal death to "propel his friends to action".

No arguments from me, I definitely agree with you on how unfair Darwin's treatment was. It's the one thing that always pops into my head when I think back to that film and turns me off of it.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Came to post this. The intention of the scene (as far as I can recall) being that Rachel does actually want to engage with Deckard but can't trust her emotions is so widely missed as to be unbelievable. As it stands, Deckard, after being rejected by a woman who has no where to go a no one to confide in, slams the door on her trying to leave, shoves her against a wall, physically asserts himself on her and tells her to make out with him as she cries in the corner. It's absolutely unbelievable.

The justification that Deckard isn't a sympathetic character only partially excuses it. The film clearly intended the scene to be romantic, what with the sexy jazz music playing underneath (literally called 'Love Theme'). The next time we see Rachel, she's 'in love' with Deckard and they run away together. What?

Deckard shooting Zhora in cold blood: good moral ambiguity.
Deckard raping a woman to love: monster-tier evil.

yep, it really is a shame how badly they fumbled that seen

whats happening on screen is one thing, but then you hear the love theme and you're like, wtf exactly am i watching here?

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
ok fair enough. just seems the issue is moreso with the scripts faithfulness to the book than the scene itself. Since only Aragorn, Legolas and Gimly left the camp, they would have had to explain why the corsairs were full of real people instead of just the dead that Aragorn picked up in the mountain.

Yeah it is, but also because the dead is just a deus ex machina. They didn't add armies and rangers on the boats because it would have added a lot more to the movie (ie. runtime to explain). But the dead was so blah. Like this is a giant evil army, but the heroes don't even defeat it. It was a weak resolution to the conflict when it could have been an amazing show of the courage of men.

And I seem to be the only person who isn't put off by Brand's talk of love in Interstellar. I don't see anything wrong with it.

Deleted member 420

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bzzt. Can't be mad since they basically make fun of the situation in the funeral right after (even asking "what bushes").

MISS- Pulp Fiction
Pulp-Fiction-Butch-Fabienne2_800.jpg

Never liked this scene, it goes on way too long about nothing and finishes with him flipping out over lost stuff like an angry parent.
Boo.

Definitely agree with this, but also I don't really like the whole Bruce Willis section in this movie anyways. Save for the Christopher Walken scene.

I realize this is like half of the movie, so maybe I just don't like Pulp Fiction all that much.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
No arguments from me, I definitely agree with you on how unfair Darwin's treatment was. It's the one thing that always pops into my head when I think back to that film and turns me off of it.
Apologies if I came off as hostile at all. Didn't mean it towards you but only towards the movie. It's just one of those moments that sticks out like a sore thumb and makes you wonder if on some level multiple people were sleepwalking through a production.

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
Hot Fuzz is probably my favorite movie. I hate the scene in which Tim Messenger dies. Too gory and excessive for me.

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Something that seems to come across in far too many movies, is the forced romance. When I watch a movie, I can accurately guess when the characters are going to have sex. Why? Why, why, why, why, why? How am I supposed to relate?

Currygan

Oct 25, 2017
Some examples

The last 20 minutes of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, it's the very definition of tacked on feelgood Hollywood ending that has fuck to do with the rest of the movie. Horrible

Trading Places. Jamie Lee Curtis' superb boobs. Kinda ruins the Christmas movie feel

Die Hard. Karl resurrecting so Family Matters guy can have his badass moment. Why

Hunt for the Red October. The captain singing Pavarotti or whatevs. No, it's not funny

Anas

Banned
Oct 29, 2017