• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
R playbook

- give AOC absurd amount of airtime bc they hate her

- claim AOC is an attention seeking celebrity

Wow it's almost like it's disingenous fuckery.

Yup.

Remember the time the GOP tried to call her childish and unqualified because they found an old college video of her DANCING! As if dancing was the stuff of trollops and harlots.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
There was no guarantee that a large portion of the workforce would be in NYC.
All that and that's what you took for it? No where did I say anything about a "large portion"...the only reason the deal was made in the first place was because they WERE going to hire thousands of people from the nearest public housing areas, including a few in her district. It's not about the percentage of those jobs against the total workforce. For many of those people, this was their only shot at making it out of a low income bracket. AOC also had a bad response to this when, weeks later after the fallout from their withdrawal happened, she tried to claim that Amazon "should have worked with us like Google and Twitter did".

Except neither have a major headquarters here, or even a huge presence here...they have maybe 1,000 employees here, tops, that are all college degree having folks and they are based in Manhattan with zero union jobs and employees from public housing.

To say it again, the part of the deal that REQUIRED Amazon to hire untrained low income residents, many with union jobs, was the main reason people wanted this deal. For the people that supported this deal, that was THE point. Did you even read the link that I posted, where the leader of one of the largest unions in NYC explained this?

And again...this really isn't about Amazon, but the lack of effort to address the same issues, with both her still under-employed constituents, and with the many employers in her district with minimum wage-only jobs with no unionization at any level (this is the "perfect instead of progress" that Figueroa was referring to".

No one is questioning any of her other issues. But since the Amazon deal, I have heard and spoken to people in her district that feel forgotten when it comes to local economics and job/wage growth.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
She could run as an indpenent and have a better shot. But caping for the GOP now? In NYC not staten island? Good luck

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
All that and that's what you took for it? No where did I say anything about a "large portion"...the only reason the deal was made in the first place was because they WERE going to hire thousands of people from the nearest public housing areas, including a few in her district. It's not about the percentage of those jobs against the total workforce. For many of those people, this was their only shot at making it out of a low income bracket. AOC also had a bad response to this when, weeks later after the fallout from their withdrawal happened, she tried to claim that Amazon "should have worked with us like Google and Twitter did".

Except neither have a major headquarters here, or even a huge presence here...they have maybe 1,000 employees here, tops, that are all college degree having folks and they are based in Manhattan with zero union jobs and employees from public housing.

To say it again, the part of the deal that REQUIRED Amazon to hire untrained low income residents, many with union jobs, was the main reason people wanted this deal. For the people that supported this deal, that was THE point. Did you even read the link that I posted, where the leader of one of the largest unions in NYC explained this?

And again...this really isn't about Amazon, but the lack of effort to address the same issues, with both her still under-employed constituents, and with the many employers in her district with minimum wage-only jobs with no unionization at any level (this is the "perfect instead of progress" that Figueroa was referring to".

No one is questioning any of her other issues. But since the Amazon deal, I have heard and spoken to people in her district that feel forgotten when it comes to local economics and job/wage growth.
It's not AOC's fault that some of her constitutents don't see eye to eye on how destructive Silicon Valley esque shit can be go the area, ESPECIALLY for low income households.

Edit:this is also ignoring the context of the deal that was cuomo's wet dream and gave waaaaayyy too much to a company that absolutely doesn't need it.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
It's not anecdotal, of many Caribbean nations. Even some that do run as Democrats can run on some of the most conservative talking points, especially LGBT issues.

Also, she isn't wrong about AOC. Alot of her goodwill is drying up (she knows how to say "NO!" but hasn't made much leeway in find things to say "Yes!" to, regarding her specific district). To be honest, I see AOC probably getting voted out by another Dem eventually...but not a Republican for sure. I think AOC is great but it's July and she really hasn't expanded her caucus beyond the original four in a real way besides non-binding resolutions.

I don't understand your logic.

Why does she, as a freshman Congresswoman, need to expand her caucus when we're talking about her specific district? Her constituents will judge her based on her benefit towards her specific district. I don't know what that has to do with expanding her caucus.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
CITATION NEEDED

Amazon's deal included 30 jobs for NYCHA residents at a customer service center

Also your suggestion that people would be given union jobs is RIDICULOUS. Amazon is virulently anti-union. From the above article:

Don't be suspect, post the whole quote:
"It will hire NYCHA residents, for one, to work at a new 30-person customer service center beginning next quarter, and will create a cloud computing certificate program for students at LaGuardia Community College and other CUNY and SUNY schools, ultimately aimed at providing a pathway for entry-level tech jobs. The company, as it announced yesterday, will also fund computer science courses in 132 city high schools. "

No where does it say that it is ONLY 30 jobs, that's ridiculous. Why would 32BJSEIU and other unions be for the deal?

But let me ask you...Hector Figueroa, one of the most respected union officials in the nation, and certainly one of the most respected latino figures in NYC...he is lying? Again...someone that didn't read the link, and has NO history of knowledge on unions here.

NinjaGarden

Oct 25, 2017
Don't be suspect, post the whole quote:
"It will hire NYCHA residents, for one, to work at a new 30-person customer service center beginning next quarter, and will create a cloud computing certificate program for students at LaGuardia Community College and other CUNY and SUNY schools, ultimately aimed at providing a pathway for entry-level tech jobs. The company, as it announced yesterday, will also fund computer science courses in 132 city high schools. "

No where does it say that it is ONLY 30 jobs, that's ridiculous. Why would 32BJSEIU and other unions be for the deal?

But let me ask you...Hector Figueroa, one of the most respected union officials in the nation, and certainly one of the most respected latino figures in NYC...he is lying? Again...someone that didn't read the link, and has NO history of knowledge on unions here.
It's the only number actually provided by Amazon in public testimony. If there were more jobs earmarked for NYCHA residents Amazon would have been singing it from the rooftops. I read your link and it's fluff. Can you provide a concrete number?

Meanwhile:

In charges filed Wednesday on his behalf by the Retail, Wholesale and Department Store Union (RWDSU), Long says his firing was an act of retaliation by Amazon for speaking out against problematic working conditions and organizing his co-workers.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
It's not AOC's fault that some of her constitutents don't see eye to eye on how destructive Silicon Valley esque shit can be go the area, ESPECIALLY for low income households.

No one is saying that, I'm literally restating what people in her district, that are low income, have told me and have mentioned.
I don't understand your logic.

Why does she, as a freshman Congresswoman, need to expand her caucus when we're talking about her specific district? Her constituents will judge her based on her benefit towards her specific district. I don't know what that has to do with expanding her caucus.
She needs people to support the policies she wants to pass, that's all. It's something a future version of her can hold against her.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
Being even a mildly succesful immigrant with money and being a Republican is the literal DEFINITION of serving oneself. This woman is just another puppet deplorable. I say this as a midly succesful naturalized immigrant. What a maroon...

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
It's the only number actually provided by Amazon in public testimony. If there were more jobs earmarked for NYCHA residents Amazon would have been singing it from the rooftops. I read your link and it's fluff. Can you provide a concrete number?
Do you know who Hector Figueroa is? If you think his word is fluff then just say that. Also this was backed by unions that are always battling non-union corporations. All of those people are lying this one time? One of the greatest defenders of the poor in NYC history is lying?

Look at any news, or any of the reasons why the Amazon deal with rejected, it had little to do with the job numbers in any way.

People didn't want a large corporate getting a large tax breaks, and were concerned about the impact that the HQ2 would have on Queens. You won't find one quote from AOC saying that Amazon was lying about low income jobs or not having unionized jobs.

Last edited:

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I don't care where you're from or the color of your skin, if you can look at the current state of the country and STILL stick an (R) next to your name you can absolutely go F yourself.

Charsace

Chicken Chaser
Nov 22, 2017
As a Jamaican American in NYC I am extremely disappointed. She has betrayed her people. I wonder what her community thinks about this.

Doran

Jun 9, 2018
That's a fantastic ad, surprised shes a Republican though.

I would be interested to know what people think of AOC in her community that she represents. She seems like more of a national figure than a member of congress serving a constituency. Like I wonder if she is managing both fronts or neglecting one for the other.

staedtler

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Where are the posters calling Republicans Nazis from the "my family are trump supporters" thread?

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The campaign ad is explicitly for people in NY-14, so how on Earth can you say people in the boroughs being the least likely to fault her for her actions doesn't matter in critiquing the ad?

She's not campaigning to Upstate NY.
So we know the numbers of those in NY 14 that fault her? The numbers posted for NY are sizeable.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
AOC is great

centrist primary challengers won't take her out

a fucking republican running for a seat in NYC sure as fuck won't take her out

question is when aoc is ready to run for prez