• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Schools are removing analogue clocks from examination halls because teenagers are unable to tell the time, a head teachers' union has said.

Teachers are now installing digital devices after pupils sitting their GCSE and A-level exams complained that they were struggling to read the correct time on an analogue clock.

Malcolm Trobe, deputy general secretary at the Association of School and College Leaders (ASCL), said youngsters have become accustomed to using digital devices.

"The current generation aren't as good at reading the traditional clock face as older generations," he told The Telegraph.

"They are used to seeing a digital representation of time on their phone, on their computer. Nearly everything they've got is digital so youngsters are just exposed to time being given digitally everywhere."

Mr Trobe, a former headmaster, said that teachers want their students to feel as relaxed as possible during exams. Having a traditional clock in the room could be a cause of unnecessary stress, he added.

He said that schools are trying to make everything as "as easy and straightforward as possible" for pupils during their exams.

"You don't want them to put their hand up to ask how much time is left," he said.
More here: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/educati...-analogue-clocks-exam-halls-teenagers-unable/

I hope no one tell them about Tokyoflash

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So what do we call the generation after millennials? Can we start a trend where we accuse them of killing stuff and put "telling the time" as their first offense?

Broken Joystick

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
England
I'm all for making exams more comfortable, but if you're doing your GCSE and A-Level exams and are still having trouble working out the time on an analogue clock, I'd be a little worried.

Ryaaan14

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Are u shitting me

Hold up tho while we're on the topic fuck hand clocks without markers. I see a lot of watches doin this and that's messed up

uncleniccius

Nov 3, 2017
I'm In my third year of university and find this shocking. Never heard complaints (and it was only a couple of years ago). University uses analog.. It doesn't seem like a big deal to use one or the other but the reason here is what is amazing.

Seriously embarrassing.

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guys

You realize there are people that reacted like you are when sundials were phased out, right?

Do ya'll really wanna be known as the sundial generation

I sure as hell dont know how to use a sundial and

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get how you can reach exam age and not know how to read a regular clock.

Goldfishking

Oct 27, 2017
KInd of sad but oh well.
As long as people can tell digital time what is the problem?
How could you possibly be angry with people telling time in a different way to you.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean if there aren't numeric markers on the things I can maybe get it. Same way not a lot of people could read a sundial I'd assume.

But yeah that's uh.

That's disconcerting.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
As they say, practice makes nah fuck it
Did my best:

hannibal-will-graham-clock-drawing-canvas.jpg

Nov 18, 2017
Makes sense, we aren't living in an analogue age anymore. I think that headmaster has the right attitude towards this, in a world as digital as ours do kids even really need to be able to read an analogue clock anymore?

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
Seems to me like kids not being able to read a clock is the perfect reason to leave them up.

When we had the thread about how kids can't write anymore, half the replies were people who thought holding a fucking pen was a useless skill so good riddance. Which way will this go?

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So... teach them?

Like, my brain is exploding trying to grasp that they would rather replace all the clocks than correct their failing.

This is like the perfect encapsulation of everything wrong in the world right now.

Edit: oops

Last edited:

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems to me like kids not being able to read a clock is the perfect reason to leave them up.

When we had the thread about how kids can't write anymore, half the replies were people who thought holding a fucking pen was a useless skill so good riddance. Which way will this go?

I mean, if we reach a future where we can dictate language onto a paper with our mind

Are you really gonna weep for the death of penmanship

And ya'll better have sundials or else Im gonna start questioning your intelligence on lacking usage of sundials

Alx

Oct 27, 2017
KInd of sad but oh well.
As long as people can tell digital time what is the problem?
How could you possibly be angry with people telling time in a different way to you.

The issue isn't with people telling time in a different way, but being unable to tell it in a very basic way that used to be common knowledge for kids. Sure you can argue it like people do with cursive, "it's a thing of the past, let's forget it", but for many people being unable to read "analog" time or write by hand is a sign of a lacking education.

And ya'll better have sundials or else Im gonna start questioning your intelligence on lacking usage of sundials

sundials are rare nowadays, but most people should be able to read them. It's not exactly rocket science.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
While they are at it switch everything to military time. If we aren't using traditional clocks then AM and PM are pretty useless.

NeonCarbon

Oct 28, 2017
Fine by me, the only reason I use an analogue clock in the real world is to have a nice looking watch.

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
sundials are rare nowadays, but most people should be able to read them. It's not exactly rocket science.

How dare people dont have sundials posted everywhere and dont know how to use them

Shame on you all! I bet you dont even know how to use a sundial when its cloudy. Kids these days.

BlackAdder

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This was done in the 90s at my school. Get with the times. Reading analogue clicks is a relic of the past that serves no practical purpose. It is as worthless as cursive.

Alx

Oct 27, 2017
How dare people dont have sundials posted everywhere and dont know how to use them

Shame on you all! I bet you dont even know how to use a sundial when its cloudy. Kids these days.

Seriously if someone told me he can't read a sundial, I'd call him intellectually challenged. There's one shadow and one line for each hour, how hard can it be ?
And yeah I learnt to build a sundial in primary school, even if they had been out of fashion for centuries.

Goldfishking

Oct 27, 2017
Sure you can argue it like people do with cursive, "it's a thing of the past, let's forget it", but for many people being unable to read "analog" time or write by hand is a sign of a lacking education.

Live in the UK. Literally never heard of cursive before googling after this post. Does that mean I'm 'lacking education'?

SaviourMK2

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Its not that they don't know how to tell time, schools and parents are too fucking lazy to teach them how an analogue clock works.

Don't blame this on kids, blame it on lazy people who can't take the 10 minutes it takes to tell them how it works

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
So... teach them?

Like, my brain is exploding trying to grasp that they would rather replace all the clocks than correct their failing.

This is like the perfect encapsulation of everything wrong in America right now.
It's not a failing, analogue clocks are pointless these days.

And fuck cursive most useless skill that tortured me growing up as a lefty.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017

Sorry... but I will question someone intelligence if when they look at a sundial they don't grasp how to use it.