• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
Here's the thing though: Realistically, when is that actually going to happen?

I'm not saying that kids should specifically not learn how to tell time—it's a useful (if situational) skill that's very quick and easy to learn—but I also don't think that kids should be shamed for never learning something that probably hasn't come up in their entire life, and likely never will.
This is a rather large thread, but I am sure it has already been mentioned that learning to tell time on analogue clocks also helps with the development of math skills. I wouldn't be surprised if the skill also establishes certain time management cognition since it offers a visual reference to how much time is remaining in a task (something that digital clocks to do not do). So, learning to tell time on an analogue clock is arguable not simply a situational skill.

Edit:
Put the bar somewhere else. Kids should be learning how to code, not how to read grandfather clocks.
Edit:

There are these concepts known as foundation skills. A person has to learn a primary set of skills before moving on to higher level skills.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
It's kinda sad, but these days, you can probably get by without ever having to know how to read an analog clock. I guess you can liken it to knowing how to read a compass.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
If the kids say they want a digital clock then they should install one of these:

il_570xN.734636895_1yfa.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
This is a rather large thread, but I am sure it has already been mentioned that learning to tell time on analogue clocks also helps with the development of math skills. I wouldn't be surprised if the skill also establishes certain time management cognition since it offers a visual reference to how much time is remaining in a task (something that digital clocks to do not do). So, learning to tell time on an analogue clock is arguable not simply a situational skill.

Edit:

Edit:

There are these concepts known as foundation skills. A person has to learn a primary set of skills before moving on to higher level skills.

This is what happens when education is built with the end goal of test results as the prime function rather than improving the functions of thinking.

This is not me trying to imply young people aren't smart, they clearly are.

That said, we've still yet to feel the full implications of the last 20-30 years of education. Hopefully it won't be costly

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
Right. And how is reading an analog clock even a relevant skill... The new generation is adept at using digital platforms that are important today + will be important in the future. Your old ass is typing with two fingers and can't edit an image to save your life but you think you're so smart because you can read an outdated clock...
Hahaha, no.

I work with teens and their computer skills are generally awful. They've never learned to touch type because everything they do is on touchscreens. They have no idea about file systems or file formats because that's all abstracted for them. And using Instagram does not mean they know how to edit an image. I can sit them in front of Photoshop and see how long it takes them to work out how to crop. God forbid I ask them to rotate an image clockwise.

Most of the older people here have been using the same platforms that these kids have for just as long, if not longer, and have backed it up with the skills from decades of using everything from DOS to Windows 10.

And I know how to read a clock. All skills are good, even if some are more immediately useful than others.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
It is so easy, and in fact faster and more natural for human mind to process how much time is left until a certain time is reached, when looking at the analogue clock. You have to actively subtract numbers in your head when looking at digital, because you don't have a visual piechart-like overview, that analogue clock offers. It's not just some arcane curiosity, it's a more organic representation of the flow of time.

No_Face

Dec 18, 2017
Brigerbad, Switzerland
Now that I think about it I actually can't remember the last time I saw an analogue clock in real life.
Seriously? Where do you live?

Around here, more or less every clock outside of computers/smartphones is analogue. But I live in Switzerland and we have a rich tradition of building watches. Rolex, Tag Heuer, Swatch etc. are all Swiss companies. So yeah, it's pretty much a part of our culture.

Togruta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Northern Virginia
Learning how to read an analogue clock was the only way I could stare at the clock and get excited for class to end. Just wouldn't be the same with digital.

Deleted member 20941

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm fine with this. Let it slide and use the time to teach the next generation the metric system instead. It's long overdue.

Hirok2099

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Im surprisingly ok with this. But if we are going to change the way we read time we should go all out. Make them all run on military time.

Deleted member 11157

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Teens come to my work and they'll occasionally ask for the time. I'll point to the clock on the wall. They'll look confused for a bit and then I'll tell them the time. You can't say a quarter after four or anything weird like that though.

Heisenburger

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thick cunts? I teach year 3 and my class can tell the time on anologe easier than 24 hour.

Iride

Oct 28, 2017
I thought they still use analogue clocks in primary school math classes.

Something like a countdown on a projector screen would undoubtedly be easier though

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
Good, no reason to even have analog clocks anymore. I understand clock/watch enthusiasts will want to keep them around and that's fine but otherwise just make everything digital and easier to read. Just an efficiency thing that's all. This story is no big deal.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
I don't really know what to make of this. It's considered stressful to read an analog clock?

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
Good, no reason to even have analog clocks anymore. I understand clock/watch enthusiasts will want to keep them around and that's fine but otherwise just make everything digital and easier to read. Just an efficiency thing that's all. This story is no big deal.

I'm not saying we should be slaves to the analog, but there's nothing easier or more efficient about digital if you have an equal understand of both.

As has been pointed out, it's actually easier to conceptualise the time (in terms of how much of it remains in an hour or twelve hour period) when viewed pie chart style. Glancing at a round time clock doesn't just tell me that it's 8:45, it tells me that 75% of the hour has elapsed, and 25% remains until 9:00. Since time is relative, and our perception of time shifts as we age, this is more useful than you might think.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
I can read an analog clock but the phrases "quarter of" and "quarter to" make me stop and think for a bit as to which one is which.

SegFault

Oct 25, 2017
getting rid of analog clocks in schools would be great. half the time they'd be fucking off anyway due to losing power, daylight saving, etc.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
It is troubling how much pride some of the members take in espousing ignorance because it conforms to their sense of "modernism" encased in a bubble. It's not a difficult thing to read time by looking at an analog clock. I think it speaks ill of the education system that would forgo teaching these basic skills that are applicable worldwide. This attitude reminds me of young people who are in school or post secondary educational institute and are unable to do basic math problems (addition, subtraction, division and multiplication) without the aid of a calculator.

Pitiful.

faint

Oct 27, 2017
I don't particularly find this surprising or understand the outcry. Many of these students grew up on digital and will only see digital throughout their youth. Even if they do learn how to tell time, it'll be so seldom used that I can see it being easily forgotten.

It reminds me of when I took the SAT however many years ago (I'm 24) and had to write some honor statement or whatever bullshit in cursive. The only cursive letters my brain remembered, and remember to this day, are those in my name. I said fuck it halfway through and wrote the rest in print.

Tezz

Oct 27, 2017
Ordinarily, I jump at the opportunity to discard antiquated methods. But if it's true that analogue clocks are essential for brain development, and have an effect on math skills, they should still be taught.

Obviously we do want to be "reliant" on technology as it makes our lives easier, but it shouldn't come at the cost of nerfing our problem solving abilities.

Kamaji

Oct 27, 2017
Malmö, Sweden.
I don't know if this is the same everywhere, but where I live most baby boomers seem to have an issue with digital clocks and the 24 hour time format.

I'd personally consider that to be a bigger character flaw.

SourKiwi

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 2, 2018
Literally takes 10 minute to learn how to read an analogue clock.

Last edited:

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Od2BB51.jpg

Times change, skills become outdated, teaching methods get outdated. Progress keeps marching on.

Analogue clocks are outdated, and the things they can teach (fractions, timekeeping, etc) can all be handled other ways in a context that actually works for them today and in the future.

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If only schools were allowed to - oh I don't know - teach kids something they didn't know yet.

Oct 27, 2017
Lol good thing most new cars are going with digital speedometers or we'd be fucked in the future. They should teach kids how to tell time and also use a map and not always rely on GPS systems while they're at it. I'm sure we all learned how to tell time in 1st grade.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm kinda glad I don't have to worry about people younger than me incase our power grid gets fucked.

Deleted member 6215

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus fucking christ, there's nothing "outdated" about analog clocks. Nor is there anything "modern" about digital ones. I've been using both for 40 fucking years. They have different advantages as has already been pointed out by many people. Stop trying to turn this into yet another us-vs-them situation...we have enough of that bullshit in society now. The fact remains that learning to tell time is a grade school skill and failing to teach that is a failure of an educational system.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tell us more about the two things you've been using in tandem for 40 years and how they are the same yet importantly different.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
Ordinarily, I jump at the opportunity to discard antiquated methods. But if it's true that analogue clocks are essential for brain development, and have an effect on math skills, they should still be taught.
I would say kids should be able to understand them regardless of that. Analog clock is like a visual progress bar telling you how much time is left until something is complete. It's much less abstract thing than a digital clock where you have to subtract numbers to reach the same knowledge, and doesn't require fiddling or setup like countdown timer does.

I grew up with and preferred digital watches, had some cheap Casio as a kid, but reading time from an analog clock is really simple and quick to learn. It shouldn't take more than half an hour for a 10+ year old kid to grasp it.

Last edited:

Deleted member 6215

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tell us more about the two things you've been using in tandem for 40 years and how they are the same yet importantly different.

Who the hell are you talking to? If you have a clear point to make, please articulate it. I'm not aware of anyone making an assinine statement of "same but different." They are different and both useful.

Guess what time this is.

TXDojuM.jpg

Almost 3:00.

Maybe a little after 2:45.

PM, obviously.

d236a73ef44348974599ddc989758673.jpg

I'm honestly a bit stunned at this revelation, but not entirely surprised.

But then again I've always been an advocate of teaching a "life skills" class during down times or after school to better prepare students for the world ahead of them. Sure would've helped me out as a teenager.