• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's a product of necessity. If they needed to know it, they'd learn it easy, I guarantee it. As much as people love to be old person yelling at clouds. It's simply not something that's important for younger generation to learn, so they don't bother. It doesn't give them any advantage really.

Deleted member 26684

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Can we please stop with this nonsense about analog clocks being "outdated" or "inefficient"? That's the really big red flag that tells me how sketchy this thread is.

This is not old men yelling at clouds, this is young people getting upset at other young people for being rewarded for a clear lack of very basic critical thinking, and that second group includes people in this thread as much as the school described in the article.

augustus

Nov 12, 2017
Can't remember the last time I was in a situation where I needed to read an analog clock. This doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

Raptomex

Oct 25, 2017
Can we please stop with this nonsense about analog clocks being "outdated" or "inefficient"? That's the really big red flag that tells me how sketchy this thread is.

This is not old men yelling at clouds, this is young people getting upset at other young people for being rewarded for a clear lack of very basic critical thinking, and that second group includes people in this thread as much as the school described in the article.
Analogue clocks are everywhere but so are digital. It's more about questioning why it matters. How important is this? Education and knowledge will never be bad things but questioning a person's intelligence based on their ability to read an analogue clock is ridiculous. I'll admit, I was shocked at first but after thinking on it, why is it such a problem? I assume most people look at the clock, obtain the time, and move on. I don't think analogue clocks are outdated but I wouldn't be surprised if digital clocks eventually became the dominant type.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
Can't remember the last time I was in a situation where I needed to read an analog clock. This doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

As for me, when I'm wearing a watch, I almost never depend on my phone or computer for the time. Screw looking at tiny digital numbers, I'd rather turn my wrist and look at my nice, legible, lovely watch.

I do depend on my phone when I need the most accurate time I can get though.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
Your full post was great, so please don't take this selective quote as me ignoring it.

But please tell me the above quote is not true, what methods are currently being used to teach equations/maths if not on paper?

I was thinking of things like long division - I was taught how to do it, but lived in a post-calculator culture; so I've never once used it outside of class, and could no longer tell you how to do it. It's less about what's being taught, and more about what knowledge society allows us to forget.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
Typical declinist nonsense. Guess who never learned to read a sundial?

I feel like that's a dumbass comment because a digital clock is just a different presentation from an analog clock, they're the same technology in how they keep time (quartz). Why are you treating it like a leap of technology similar to sundial to clocks?

Maybe bring that sundial thing up when we somehow get cheap, miniature atomic clocks that we can carry around, and even then that's if somehow the technology is incompatible with an analog face.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017

...no

Anologue clocks are unnecessary in a digital society. There is no reason or need for kids to learn how to read an analogue clock. It has to go some time. There is no reward for knowing how to read an analogue clock.

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When I was a kid, I had problems learning "basic skills", reading an analog clock included, I just had problems learning stuff and still do. Did my teachers and parents help me? No, they humillated and screamed at me. Plenty of the people here raging at the removal of analog clock are probably like that, they think that because they know how to do something, 7 years kids should do too and when they don't, they insult their intelligence. Don't act like kids should have certain skills if you don't have patience to to teach them.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
I feel like that's a dumbass comment because a digital clock is just a different presentation from an analog clock, they're the same technology in how they keep time (quartz). Why are you treating it like a leap of technology similar to sundial to clocks?

Maybe bring that sundial thing up when we somehow get cheap, miniature atomic clocks that we can carry around, and even then that's if somehow the technology is incompatible with an analog face.
Because it's abundantly clear in this situation that the interface change is what matters and not the technology that goes into making clocks.

This isn't about students who don't know how to make analog clocks.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
Because it's abundantly clear in this situation that the interface change is what matters and not the technology that goes into making clocks.

This isn't about students who don't know how to make analog clocks.

'Sundial' vs now is clearly about technology though.

Maybe a more appropriate analogy would be "LOL look at these people still getting their news from physical print instead of the net".

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
Wait, wait, wait; am I just discovering that kids are no longer taught basic clockwork in the third grade? Do people who are posting in this thread not know what a mainspring is, or how to build a simple escapement?

That's an amazing joke. I think I'll be laughing at it well into next week.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
No.... because reading an article on paper and reading an article on a screen aren't 2 different processes.

Like I said. This is about a chance in user interface.

Ah I get what you're saying. That just makes it worse imo if you're placing a gulf the equivalent of thousands of years between 'interfacing' with an analog vs digital representation of a clock. Are they THAT different or an analog SOO difficult /outdated?

I wouldn't put one over the other. Each have their advantages.

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A world where petty complaints about trivial struggles results in lazy people not having to learn anything

the gaming woes of the new generation are carrying over into real life

we're doomed

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
This is so sad. I'm going to show a normal clock to my 17-year-old nephew to see if he can tell the time lol.

Will report back :)

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
Ah I get what you're saying. That just makes it worse imo if you're placing a gulf the equivalent of thousands of years between 'interfacing' with an analog vs digital representation of a clock. Are they THAT different or an analog SOO difficult /outdated?

I wouldn't put one over the other. Each have their advantages.
The thing is that when I hear "kids can't read analog clocks" when I get out of it is that kids aren't familiar with using them. If they can do their multiplication tables for the number 5, they can read an analog clock (and if they can't, the clock is not the issue we need to be focusing on).

I was able to functionally read an analog clock when I was probably in 1st or 2nd grade, but it was several more years before I could glance at an analog clock and immediately know the time. From a practical standpoint, I couldn't really use an analog clock to tell the time because telling the time is something you do in 2 seconds.

The thing is that reading an analog clock never gave me any advantages in life, save for maybe avoiding the judgment of anyone finding out if I couldn't, and measuring the educational health of a child by whether or not they can read an analog clock in a world where they're becoming obsolete is completely ridiculous.

Focusing on issues like this should be left to old men shouting at clouds.

DieEnteWurzel

Oct 31, 2017
How is analogue better than digital??? The amount of defenders is seriously disturbing. If all the analogue clocks disappeared what other use would it have knowing how to tell time this way. This right up there with cursive as outdated waste of our kids time. They should be building robots and writing code as early as possible not using slide rulers and abacuses.
If you are not able to figure out how a (numbered) analogue clock works in a room with a window over the course of five minutes I certainly wouldn't want you to program/build a robot I'm supposed to work with anytime soon, sorry

It's a product of necessity. If they needed to know it, they'd learn it easy, I guarantee it. As much as people love to be old person yelling at clouds. It's simply not something that's important for younger generation to learn, so they don't bother. It doesn't give them any advantage really.
I think it's funny so many people here mentioning there is no use for being able to read analgue clocks nowadays when the article describes a pretty specific case where it was usefull (i.e. reading the time during an exam).

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
This honestly just feels like the obnoxious over-response a school would have to a student saying "I thought I had more time, that clock is too hard to read, it's the clocks fault!" as the lamest excuse for not finishing a test on time.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
And here I've been hoping that Microsoft would add the option for an analog clock display in the Windows 10 taskbar calendar thingy. I find calculating differences between times a bit quicker when I can glance at an analog clock face.

Raptomex

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's funny so many people here mentioning there is no use for being able to read analgue clocks nowadays when the article describes a pretty specific case where it was usefull (i.e. reading the time during an exam).
But the article mentions digital clocks were useful.
"Schools will inevitably be doing their best to make young children feel as relaxed as the can be. There is actually a big advantage in using digital clocks in exam rooms because it is much less easy to mistake a time on a digital clock when you are working against time."

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
This is the textbook definition of circular logic. "Don't take away analog clocks! They need to be able to read analog clocks because analog clocks shouldn't be taken away!"

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017

Its been awhile. We installed analog clocks in our office for decoration purposes (and so everyone else would see me, the young one, up on a ladder risking my life). Never looked at them once. My computer has a clock, my cellphone has a clock, my VoIP phone has a clock... You get the idea.

Cocaloch

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Where the Fenians Sleep
My nephew can't even use a cas chrom, what a world we're making.

The people that haven't put enough though into this and are basically just parroting knee jerk conservatism are far more annoying than people pointing out that knee jerk conservatism is foolish.

How many people. apparently all young for some reason, in this thread do you think lack the ability to read an analogue clock? Also why is this a red flag for anything? There's no logic here, merely a normative statement.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
Lots of things. One example would be some maths without calculators because it wasn't needed anymore. I remember my parents generatiom being upset about the fact that we didn't learn to divide bigger numbers by hand.

I'm pretty sure mathematicians, physicists, etc etc would definitely recommend long division and maths without calculators be absolutely neccessary. How are new scientists going to do anything without understanding the building blocks, the foundation of their craft?

Edit, between this and your ideas of people no longer driving in a few years I'm not entirely sure you're really being realistic about the current state of the world. You seem to be envisioning an idealised future that isn't nearly as close as you think. Maybe if money was no object or we all solve societal problems so that we all club together for the greater good, or maybe ai comes along and things shift dramatically, who knows. But these things are core skills that lead to higher functioning

Last edited:

itwasTuesday

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Tower to Raven1
Tower to Raven1: You've got a bogey on your 6 coming up fast.
Raven1: what that mean?
Tower: it means behi.....kablamoooooooo

Sadly for Raven1, he never had to learn how to read an analog clock in school.
Don't be like Raven1
K1kzreN.png

robosllim

Banned
Dec 4, 2017
Tower to Raven1
Tower to Raven1: You've got a bogey on your 6 coming up fast.
Raven1: what that mean?
Tower: it means behi.....kablamoooooooo
Unironically this.
Also, I personally prefer analog clocks because I like the visual representation. I glance up and see I'm halfway through the hour without having to even read numbers. I know that's personal preference, but it's certainly a reason beyond just being a grumpy old man set in his ways.

And I'll say the same thing I say when the topic of phones without headphone jacks is brought up: it's fine if they're going to start removing things that other people don't use, just as long as I still have the option to use the thing I like. I don't see analog watches ever going away, or clock towers replacing their faces with digital displays, so I'm sure everything will be fine.

Deleted member 41980

Banned
Apr 11, 2018
chicago, il
Lots of things. One example would be some maths without calculators because it wasn't needed anymore. I remember my parents generatiom being upset about the fact that we didn't learn to divide bigger numbers by hand.

Clocks are more similar to tools like a calculator than methods like the division algorithm. I think it's comparable to the calculator replacing the slide rule. The bottom line is that it's a more efficient tool.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't remember thing, so immediately remove/destroy it

This is why I can't wrap my head around how records are more "modern" than CD's

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
lol I remember they were saying this way back in the early 90s, they were afraid kids were forgetting how to tell time because of the sudden affordability of digital watches.(Back when they used to be a status symbol remember?) Instead of making publicity hay....never mind. Naomi Klein is right. Turning this thing into a crisis makes way more money.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If you are not able to figure out how a (numbered) analogue clock works in a room with a window over the course of five minutes I certainly wouldn't want you to program/build a robot I'm supposed to work with anytime soon, sorry

Well the reason they can't read them properly in the exam is that they never do it elsewhere because or their analog devices. People need to stop behaving like younger people are completely idiots. Yes, I think there's certainly some problems with the development of people's brains in general over time due to media/devices and instant access. But outside that, it's just change.