• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
So, long story short, I went and met up with my little sister at her high school earlier today, she needed some supplies she left at the house. I went to call our mother when I realized nothing was going through. Couldn't get online, nothing. My sister tells me just about every part of the school is like this. How is this allowed? The first thing my brain jumped to was "well, what if there was a shooter?" How is anybody supposed to contact anybody in the event of an emergency? This just seems like utterly poor planning.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Land lines still exist, also congrats on finding a dead zone there are plenty of them out there.

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, long story short, I went and met up with my little sister at her high school earlier today, she needed some supplies she left at the house. I went to call our mother when I realized nothing was going through. Couldn't get online, nothing. My sister tells me just about every part of the school is like this. How is this allowed? The first thing my brain jumped to was "well, what if there was a shooter?" How is anybody supposed to contact anybody in the event of an emergency? This just seems like utterly poor planning.

Probably like how they did before cell phones via the hundreds of phones around the school.

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Are you sure it wasn't just a bad signal?

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
They put a Faraday cage around the school so kids stop using social media.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
you have a couple hundred to thousands of kids in one building all with phones and wifi competing for spectrum sooooo

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dunno why the tone is so hostile toward the OP in this thread from some of y'all.

We live in a county where kids die in schools every month "Wait until someone else calls" is a fucking weirdly callous response.

OP
OP

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
Is this happening at 3am or something? Presumably someone else would call?
The point is, no one knows you're in there, you don't know how safe it is to leave, if it's safe at all, how are you supposed to call someone to let them know where you are or to figure out if it's safe yet?

lacer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the chances of this being intentional are pretty low unless the school was built within like the last five years, not to mention how many FCC regulations that would likely violate

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
The point is, no one knows you're in there, you don't know how safe it is to leave, if it's safe at all, how are you supposed to call someone to let them know where you are or to figure out if it's safe yet?

You're presenting scenarios that have alternative ways of making them work.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There are cell phone dead zones everywhere. There are several whole towns here where I can't get service no matter where I go. It's not weird at all

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
...there were phones in every single classroom when I was in highschool in the early 2000s. Cops would get called immediately if something happened. Its not a problem

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Dunno why the tone is so hostile toward the OP in this thread from some of y'all.

We live in a county where kids die in schools every month "Wait until someone else calls" is a fucking weirdly callous response.

Not that you're wrong, but the people being hostile are just old and yelling at clouds.

Feb 1, 2018
There was a big /r/legaladvice thread last year about how this kid's high school installed cell jammers in the ceilings to make the school a "dead zone" because they were tired of kids constantly being on their phones in class, there was a huge legal backlash for it lol

Arthois

Oct 27, 2017
When I read the thread title, I did not expect a conversation about telephones inside.

Most schools are concrete boxes, go outside.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
You've got hundreds to a couple of thousand people crammed into a building full of mesh, metal, and walls of varying materials. You would need a cell tower on top of the school to ensure good service.

It's standard for there to be phones in every classroom. It's standard for there to be WiFi everywhere. There are computers, laptops, and handheld devices throughout the building.

People have more than enough ways to communicate.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
Lol I wouldn't blame the school, OP.

Edit: Wait...who are you blaming exactly?

Aurongel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm pretty sure most classrooms are required to have a landline. I know that's the case here in Texas at least.

Oct 25, 2017

Your teacher would know since you told them but that doesn't mean you're actually there. Kids do roam hallways and walk into different rooms.

The Auxiliary

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
My old high School in the late 2000s had terrible service, but that's because it was built with cinderblocks in a terrible location on top of a swamp in the middle of nowhere, and they probably didn't know commercial cell phone signals would be a thing they should worry about when they did it.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
How is "school shooter" the first thing on your mind when you see a high school with no network? The US is truly doomed.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Lol when I was in school, maybe like 25% of kids had phones, and those were mainly for extracurricular activities. You don't need signal in a school...

OP
OP

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
I think OP might want to consider that the problem here might be that school shootings are a thing and not bad fuckin wifi
Why the hell did you assume that I think school shootings aren't the problem. How in the holy hell did you reach that conclusion. Me saying that "I hope this school gets a good connection so in the event of an emergency students are able to get in contact with who they need to" somehow made you think I don't take issue with school shootings. God damn.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

Blame the cell phone companies for not having a tower near by?

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't been able to get a signal in my kid's grade school, middle school, and now high school. I assume it's because they're built like a brick shithouse. Really thick, sturdy, brick walls.

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I'm not living in the US so school shootings are not a thing I'm used to take into account, but aren't landlines still a thing? People were living perfectly fine before the ubiquity of small cell phones.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
How is anybody supposed to contact anybody in the event of an emergency? This just seems like utterly poor planning.
I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that the school is old as fuck and/or built out of solid concrete. The only thing that could fix it is tearing the whole thing down and rebuilding it, which would both be expensive and a waste of time.

Also, there's probably way more places like this than you realize. A lot of older shopping centers are the same way, where once you get a dozen or so feet into a store your signal evaporates.

Status
Not open for further replies.