• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Had the awesome opportunity to see 2001 on IMAX last week. I had seen it once before a few years ago but seeing on the giant screen, center-screen, really elevates the experience. Aside from the minor gripe of there being no thrusters or gas jets for maneuvering, every shot of its stations and ships and of the vast expanses of space are just sci-fi fan dreams brought to life; so many lavish details, you just want to pore over stills looking at the intricate designs

4912738448_23b50b96d8_b.jpg

The Dawn of Man chapter is probably my favorite part of the film; it would be a fantastic short film all on its own. It's about 20 minutes of purely visual storytelling. I love how utterly alien the monolith looks there too, this angular unnatural thing amid nature. The long scene of the apes freaking out, then slowly getting closer and more curious, ending with them all drawn to the monolith, rapturously touching as the monolith theme overpowers their screeches and growls, is just perfect

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Saw the new blade runner a few days ago.

What a beautiful looking movie.

I definitely enjoyed it more than the 1st, which honestly bored me at times.

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Saw the new blade runner a few days ago.

What a beautiful looking movie.

I definitely enjoyed it more than the 1st, which honestly bored me at times.
One of the things I liked most about 2049 is how it felt like an authentic future of the world we saw in the first movie. That damp claustrophobic urban decay, after 30 years of technological advancements and time passed and things changed mostly for worse. Where the world of the first movie was confined and drenched in shadow but bustling and lively, the world of 2049 is sprawling and open but drained, a dying husk of a world clinging to life as it withers away. One thing I feel might be overlooked when you're watching the first Blade Runner is that it's set in a future where other planets are being colonized and there are space-faring battleships, while Earth is being abandoned by the rich and powerful to rot while the poor and sick are left to die. 2049 feels like a world after 30 years more years of being left to rot and die: wide vistas of dead landscapes and those classic dense urban cityscapes, now barely holding back the crashing surge of climate change as snow falls endlessly

jimtothehum

Mar 23, 2018
I wanted to make a thread about it, but I don't have the privileges, so I will put it here- which do you prefer: Arrival or Annihilation? Both great recent sci-fi flicks.

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I wanted to make a thread about it, but I don't have the privileges, so I will put it here- which do you prefer: Arrival or Annihilation? Both great recent sci-fi flicks.
Annihilation is one of my favorite films of the year, and does cosmic horror wonderfully, while Arrival is a fantastic first contact story that reminds me of Stanislaw Lem's works.

Annihilation for the horror, Arrival for the sci-fi

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
How is Nightflyers? See it on Netflix all the time but haven't heard/seen much here or anywhere else.

Also recommend Battle Angel Alita for quick SciFi fix. Not a super great but good enough and the optics and world are really good (saw it on 3D laser IMAX).

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
How is Nightflyers? See it on Netflix all the time but haven't heard/seen much here or anywhere else.

Also recommend Battle Angel Alita for quick SciFi fix. Not a super great but good enough and the optics and world are really good (saw it on 3D laser IMAX).

Avoid Nightflyers at all cost. It is hot garbage.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nobody told me Serial Experiments Lain is fully free to stream on Funimation's website so that's what I'm doing now.

Chel

Mar 19, 2019
I'm currently rewatching The Expanse for the third time. I love this show so much (it's pretty much my favorite show of all time) and I can't wait for season 4.

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Bumping because I finally saw both High Life and Aniara. Has anyone else seen both? They both tell similar stories, but I found High Life to be surprisingly dull and frustrating obtuse, while Aniara was haunting, evocative, unnerving, thrilling. Probably going to be my favorite sci-fi film of the year, watching it evoked the same feeling I get when I read a really good sci-fi short story

Letterboxd thoughts on Aniara:
I've seen this compared to High Life, a movie I found to be an impenetrable chore to watch. Fortunately, my experience with Aniara was the polar opposite. This is a tale of humanity breaking upon the endless void of space, presented in a hauntingly evocative and bleakly existential fashion. The budget was clearly modest, but those limitations are rarely felt, the movie never seems cheap or as if it's trying to tell a narrative too ambitious for its means.

Aniara is a movie both epic in scope and harrowingly, intimately human. During what should be a routine journey from Earth to Mars, an errant screw sends the titular vessel drifting into the abyss. Days turn to weeks, then years. The vastness of space has rarely seemed so dreadful. Soon the only thing keeping hearts and minds from shattering is Mima, an AI-controlled virtual reality that allows passengers to escape into their memories of Earth. The caretaker of Mima is our viewpoint into the gradual societal breakdown within the ship, the epicenter of its inhabitants' frustrations, fears, and other base emotions.

"Literary" is such a nebulous adjective, but it's apt for how I felt about Aniara when the end credits finally rolled. Apocalyptic backstory, futuristic technology, and uneasy consequences are often presented through implication and visuals rather than exposition. Chapters divide Aniara into a chronicle of agonizingly prolonged doom, each title priming us for a thoughtful vignette set another day, week, year later. Aniara was thrilling like the best sci-fi short stories or novellas, where fascinating ideas work as both concept and allegory, where a daring ending evokes a gasp and reflection.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
So ahem...I have been interested in Metabarons, but haven't had luck with finding a physical copy. But I found some other work by Jodorowsky, Technopriests.

Just finished volume one and started two last night and...I'm not sure how I feel about it.

One thing that feels a bit off to me, and I say this as someone who is probably only moderately "woke", is how the story deals with every single female character. I mean yeah, space pirates are probably misogynists and so on, but it makes you think maybe the point would come across with a little bit less sexual violence?

I also feel like this story is stepping on the thin line of being imaginative and being all over the place and to me it seems like it falls into the latter category quite often.

Or maybe I don't just get Jodorowsky?

RocketKiss

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The Metabarons is definitely a more coherent story with some 'strong' female characters, but most of the women in Jodorowsky are subject to sexual violence, even the heroines. He packs a lot of ideas into his works - some of them gel together for the purpose of the story and some of them don't. He tries to portray many aspects of the human condition(Or what he thinks makes up the human condition): sex, love, hate, etc. to create an epic narrative. I own the Technopriests, but it's been a while since I read it so I don't remember much. It's a weird one with weird art. The Metabarons is definitely his best work with god artwork.
Also there are techno priests in the Metabarons so maybe the Technopriest book would make some more sense if you read the Metabarons also.

Oct 29, 2017
Started A Memory Called Empire a few days ago. Have not been able to get back to it, but it is promising so far.

I like so far that there seems like there's going to be a main concept/technology to drive the plot instead of trying to juggle a myriad of possible things at once.

Oct 25, 2017
Love this short CG-film, based on Peter Watts' excellent novel Blindsight.

Also, the Memories section of the official site of this project is pretty incredible, featuring excerpts from the novel, design musings, concept art and emails between the makers and Watts himself.

https://blindsight.space/

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Was listening to this pretty interesting conversation with Neil Blomkamp and Peter Watts:
https://www.buzzsprout.com/1795352/9228196

And learned that:
- Watts is involved in a movie adaptation of his seminal sci-fi novel Blindsight
- Watts and Blomkamp are working on something that explores the origins of the vampires Watts came up with for his novels Blindsight and Echopraxia
- Watts is involved in a VR game
- Blomkamp and Altered Carbon author Richard Morgan are working on a videogame together

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Just stumbled over Oats Studios on Netflix with these scifi shorts and damn the quality is good. Only have seen Rakka (Ep1) so far but that was already more intriguing than a lot of other full lengths scifi invasion flicks.

Rakka is also on YouTube. Didn't know that it's already 4 years old. How did i miss this.

Sephiroth

Oct 26, 2017
Just stumbled over Oats Studios on Netflix with these scifi shorts and damn the quality is good. Only have seen Rakka (Ep1) so far but that was already more intriguing than a lot of other full lengths scifi invasion flicks.

Rakka is also on YouTube. Didn't know that it's already 4 years old. How did i miss this.

Rakka, Firebase, and Zygote are the best imo. Also the ones that are aroumd 20 min.

Zygote in particular is amazing and worth watching if you like Sci Fi or Horror. I want a whole movie of it. Also made me realize that Dakota Fanning would be the perfect adult Newt.