• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
And in a few short generations his descendant Dr Often Wrong creates the first functioning positronic brain, some years after another descendant has created human augments and infected the Klingons.

I've seen this show.

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How does it work tho?

Basically (from what I understood) they analyzed the electric activity pattern that happens in the brain when you use your memory, and then they used electrode implants to boost this specific electric pattern, which resulted in an enhancement of the patients' memory.

Deleted member 420

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Within the next 30 years, you'll be able to go to your doctor and receive a pill that will extend your lifespan to 600 years.

nel e nel

Oct 27, 2017
So Johnny Mnemonic is real?

Alright, we're getting closer to this

johnny-main.jpg

2021 is going to be interesting.

Yass!

2607783-6066515069-tumbl.gif

SaveWeyard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How does it work tho?

Basically (from what I understood) they analyzed the electric activity pattern that happens in the brain when you use your memory, and then they used electrode implants to boost this specific electric pattern, which resulted in an enhancement of the patients' memory.

This is basically right, but I'll add some more detail.

I couldn't find the most recent version of the approach this group is using, but they've been developing it for many years and the basic principle remains the same: extract CA3-to-CA1 (those are cellular regions in the hippocampus) firing patterns that are critical for the encoding of sample phase information during a standard memory task called delayed match-to-sample (DMS). They do this using multi-neuron recordings and something called a multi-input multi-output (MIMO) model. They then, during the sample phase of the DMS task, stimulate the same locations that they were recording from using the firing patterns deemed critical and see facilitated task performance in the delayed match phase of the DMS.

This is cool because their model allows them to see what the critical firing patterns are for encoding information in this memory task, and stimulating those cells with the same firing pattern basically enhances the relevant information needed to perform the task.

This is a long way off from being useful as a treatment, however, and for patients whose hippocampal cells are already deteriorating, and where the disease is not intrinsically linked to the neurons' activity, it's hard to see how this will be useful.

Last edited:

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
So these patterns enhance specific memories rather than memory in general?

SaveWeyard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So these patterns enhance specific memories rather than memory in general?
The device enhances the performance of the subject during a memory task by stimulating a specific area of the hippocampus with the patterns that are most critical for encoding the information to be able to successfully complete the task. I suppose it can be thought of as boosting the signal to noise ratio for the given task at hand. The task they are using is a test of working memory, related to short term memory but usually referring to some sort of temporary manipulation or management of memory in the short term.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Drop it with the casual racism, everyone. For you it might be "just a joke", but for many Asians it's not only unfunny, but very alienating. Please be considerate and think before you post your "clever" quip.

Abstrusity

Oct 27, 2017
Braincases when? I wanna go full Ghost in the Shell. It's make transitioning a helluva lot easier, lemme tell you.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal

The device enhances the performance of the subject during a memory task by stimulating a specific area of the hippocampus with the patterns that are most critical for encoding the information to be able to successfully complete the task. I suppose it can be thought of as boosting the signal to noise ratio for the given task at hand. The task they are using is a test of working memory, related to short term memory but usually referring to some sort of temporary manipulation or management of memory in the short term.

So what effect does this have on retaining memory past "short term memory"?

SaveWeyard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So what effect does this have on retaining memory past "short term memory"?
Memory consolidation is a much more complicated process that is not well understood, but I think it's generally agreed that short term memory has to be an intermediate in the process of turning sensory information into long term memory. The standard consolidation theory is that memories that initially depend on the hippocampus eventually become consolidated in their original forms in other brain regions. A different hypothesis differentiates between how episodic and semantic, both hippocampus-dependent, memories transform.

Deleted member 15227

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Drop it with the casual racism, everyone. For you it might be "just a joke", but for many Asians it's not only unfunny, but very alienating. Please be considerate and think before you post your "clever" quip.

Thanks Morrigan. Casual (and sometimes overt and open) racism against Asians normally gets a free pass no matter where you go - you just can't bloody escape it. I'm glad at least it's being put on notice here on ERA.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Won't be long and you'll need implants to compete. Imagine coding software with 3x the memory capacity. It would stimulate innovation significantly.

SevKnight

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
City of Apples
So ya can boost memory but can't come up with a pill or device that erases certain memories?

I would certainly love to erase all my memories and change my name so I could start my adult life all over.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
A white guy with the name Dick Cox is still hilarious. It doesn't have to be racism.

Edit* I do, in fact know someone named Richard Cox. Also knew a Richard Long...people's parents have got to do this on purpose.

Someone can laugh at a name without going..."LOL...Asians".

I also enjoy Ha Ha Clinton-Dix name.

As someone posted above, nothing to do with Asian name or whatever, if the name is funny it is funny.

Like Dick.

I don't know what to say to you outside of "just think of a dick singing you a song." It's funny, and has nothing to do with his ethnicity. JFC.

Anyway, this genuinely is super cool and I'm glad this sort of research is being done.

Context, what is it?

ByteCulture

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
5 years later you get the upgrade:
brain implant+ 20-30 %, brain implant Gold 25-35 %, the Diamond Version 30-40 % and for the rich the Deluxe Edition with 40-50 % and a Season pass fĂĽr the planned dlc

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Ring me when there are eye implants that let me see 20/20 or better without contacts/glasses.

This is cool though. I wonder if it could have any use with something like Alzheimer's.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
I've always wanted something like this; as soon as we can get a safe version of this, I'm in, long-term consequences be damned.