• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
A team in China figured out a way to take control of a rat and "steer" it through a maze with their thoughts.

Researchers at Zhejiang University published a paper titled "Human Mind Control of Rat Cyborg's Continuous Locomotion with Wireless Brain-to-Brain Interface" this month, wherein they revealed that they'd succeeded in controlling rats with the power of human thought.

In the paper, the authors explain that brain-machine interfaces (BMIs) already allow humans to control external devices with their minds in various ways—mind-controlled prosthetics are one example. Certain studies have taken that idea a few steps further, and posited that one could create a brain-to-brain interface (BBI) using similar methods. But no one had actually used a BBI to take control of another living creature and steer it through a complex maze, and that's precisely what the academics at Zheijang set out to achieve.

To conduct the experiment, researchers implanted microelectrodes into the brain of a living rat—thus rendering it a "rat cyborg"—and connected it to the brain of a human "manipulator" who was hooked up to a computer BMI. Movement-related thoughts in the mind of the manipulator sent signals to the computer, which then translated those signals into instructions and sent them to the brain of the rat. Between the manipulator, the BMI, and the rat cyborg, a BBI was created.

"With this interface, our manipulators were able to mind control a rat cyborg to smoothly complete maze navigation tasks," the authors state. "Control instructions… were wirelessly sent to the rat cyborg through brain micro-electrical stimulation."

When the human manipulator thought about moving their left arm, the rat was commanded to turn left; when they thought about moving their right arm, the rat would turn right; while blinking sent signals that commanded the rat cyborg to move forward. Discover Magazine notes that the mazes the rat was forced to navigate became increasingly complex: from just a few tubes in the first instance, to more complicated structures that had tight turns, multiple levels, and a specific prescribed path. Over time, the six rat cyborgs used in the study reportedly became more proficient at navigating the maze, and "a tacit understanding [developed] between the human and the rat cyborg."

"The results showed that rat cyborgs could be smoothly and successfully navigated by the human mind to complete a navigation task in a complex maze," they wrote. "Our experiments indicated that the cooperation through transmitting multidimensional information between two brains by computer-assisted BBI is promising."

Pretty cool technology for prosthetic limbs.

https://www.vice.com/en_au/article/...Hf5GSUTbc0cfaaEQBl5qT_QcSYYntFwZGKt0r3RDzlifw

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
It's a first step.

Then
review_mousers_1.jpg

Finally I'll show that turtle.
images

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
20090830.gif

AFAIK they just trained the rats to respond to specific jolts to their brains. Basically a fancier way of training them to push a correct button to receive a treat.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hasn't this been done with cockroaches before?

Granted, a rat brain is a crazy step up in terms of complexity.

Oct 25, 2017
AFAIK they just trained the rats to respond to specific jolts to their brains. Basically a fancier way of training them to push a correct button to receive a treat.
I think it's still reasonable to be disconcerted about torturing animals by electroshocking their brains via human brain interface control inside a regime known as terrible for ethics and human rights and for genocide of at least one ethnoreligious minority group.

*edited misspelling*

Last edited:

Air

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
[/IMG]

Thanks for this tldr. Read through it myself and felt there was something I was missing

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I mean, they're just doing something you could already do with a different type fo input that we already have, right? They're just putting the two things together

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
:o

This is super cool.

I want one of these rats at work. It can deliver memos for me and screech at new associates.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
20090830.gif

Yes this has been done with rats a lot of times before. In this case the "new" thing is doing it by using a human's brain activity to control it.

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
Yes this has been done with rats a lot of times before. In this case the "new" thing is doing it by using a human's brain activity to control it.

Which isn't really a new thing either since you can buy stuff like this

necomini-ears.gif

They mashed two known concepts together, which is neat, but not this "omg mind controlled cyborg rats!!!" thing.