• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
https://www.sciencealert.com/new-super-wood-stronger-than-steel

Scientists have developed a new type of "super wood" that is more than 10 times stronger and tougher than normal wood - and this innovation could potentially become a natural and inexpensive substitute for steel and other materials.

Key to the new wood's superpowers is a special chemical treatment followed by a heated compression process. The resulting chemical bonds make the wood strong enough to one day be used in buildings and vehicles.

It could even take a turn in new armour plating – the researchers fired bullet-like projectiles at their new super wood and found they got lodged in the material rather than blasting their way through, as they did with standard-strength wood.

More details at the link.

Would be interesting to know if the density is well preserved over time. Would be neat if it could replace the use of metals in every day products.

Also a video of a bullet going through natural wood and their densified wood

Beartruck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've got super wood.
23890.jpg

phisheep

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes
Oct 26, 2017
"... to one day be used in buildings and vehicles"

Wasn't that day about 4,000 years ago?

Beartruck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Real talk though, something with the pliability and weight of wood with the strength of steel would be an engineering revolution.

Greysif

Oct 25, 2017
Watch out Thanos, Disney already found a replacement for RDJ and it won't cost them a penny.

latest

Rivi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought people were crying about wasting too much paper and all the dead trees how the hell does this help?

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
So kids desks would actually be bullet proof for school shootings. The GOP gets what they want once again.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I thought people were crying about wasting too much paper and all the dead trees how the hell does this help?
This creates an entirely new market for wood. So you ... plant more trees. It's not a complex issue. The thing people cry about is cutting down rain forests which cannot be simply replanted, not unless you are willing to wait hundreds of years.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if the process will also make wood resistant to termites. Also I wonder if the properties of wood like rot would play a factor or if treating it could eliminate stuff like that.

OP
OP
Ether_Snake

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I wonder if the process will also make wood resistant to termites. Also I wonder if the properties of wood like rot would play a factor or if treating it could eliminate stuff like that.

I assume that the increased density makes it more difficult to burn actually, so it would likely also have similar advantages against rotting. There's less room for air and water to seep into.

Interesting, but wouldn't this burn as easily as regular wood?

If the wood is denser, then there's less oxygen inside it so I presume it wouldn't burn as easily.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Titanium: "What's he doing?!?"

Wood: "And this..........THIS IS TO GO EVEN FUTHER BEYOND!!!!!"

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Does this mean they will create huge commercial forests to harvest instead of just chopping down old grown and then developing on it?

also i'm choosing to interpret the video as a robot erection test with super densified wood finally succeeding.
robot #1's penis sailing away has me in tears rn.

ISOM

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Uh, wood is a finite resource isn't it? Does that really solve any future resource issue?

Mister Saturn

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I seem to recall reading some futurist speculation (no doubt extrapolated from sci-fi authors) of these "super wood" materials eventually being used in he construction of modern spacecraft. I find it pretty fascinating to think on, though I don't doubt that once large-scale asteroid mining is cost-effective, moving back to modern metals would be the better option.

Briarios

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Uh, wood is a finite resource isn't it? Does that really solve any future resource issue?

... Huh?

You can farm trees, it's renewable, not finite. Sure, you don't want to cut down old growth forests or rain forests, but farming trees it's a good thing - pulls carbon out of the atmosphere and is way better than mining for metal.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
If they can make a densified wood that's stronger and lighter than a similar volume of aluminum, I'm gonna build my next pc out of it. That sounds baller as fuck.