• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
https://www.vox.com/science-and-hea...-brain-nature-study-revive-cell-death-brainex

Around 15 minutes after a mammal's brain is cut off from oxygen, the organ is supposed to die.

Without life-giving oxygen, the cells of the brain quickly starve. Some of the cells burst open, while the chemistry of others becomes so imbalanced that their membranes break down. This frenzied spiral ends one way: in death.

It is thought that this process is widespread across brain anatomy and irreversible. After brain cells die, they are thought to be impossible to revive.

But a stunning new finding published Wednesday in the journal Nature turns that conventional wisdom around.

In a paper that reads a bit like an adaptation of Mary Shelley, researchers at Yale describe how they were able to partially revive disembodied pigs' brains several hours after the pigs' death.

First, the researchers took 32 pig brains from pigs slaughtered for food and waited four hours. Then, they hooked them up for six hours to a system called BrainEx, which pumped those brains full of oxygen, nutrients, and protective chemicals.

At the end of the 10 hours, the scientists found that the tissue of the pig brains was largely intact, compared to controls. Individual brain cells were up and running, performing their basic duties of taking up oxygen and producing carbon dioxide.

To be clear: The neurons in these brains were not communicating, so there was no consciousness. But the cells were alive — and that alone is a very big discovery.

"Previously, findings have shown that in basically minutes, the cells undergo a process of cell death," Nenad Sestan, the Yale neuroscientist who led the effort, said during a press conference. "What we're showing is that the process of cell death is a gradual step-wise process, and some of those processes can be either postponed, preserved, or even reversed."

The implications are bigger than just basic science research. The ethics of experimenting on partially reanimated brains is uncharted territory.

BeforeU

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
that is incredible, so brain transfer afterall can be possible in near future

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Time for every old, rich person on Earth to donate their life saving into this research (assuming they already haven't)

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
that is incredible, so brain transfer afterall can be possible in near future
would-you-put-your-brain-in-a-robot-body-1301634.png

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Hey, if they can move toward some treatment to ease the impacts of cell death after incidents like strokes, embolisms, or aneurysms, I'm all for it.

SatoAilDarko

Oct 25, 2017
So an alive body with no conscienceness.

I wonder if in the future people can donate their bodies after death and allow this.

So scientists have an alive body with no mind they can experiment on.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Read the article, they weren't conscious and scientists would have terminated them if they were (well, they said they would...)

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have no mouth and must scream. I breathed a massive sigh of relief when I read the bit about how the brain lacked consciousness.

Krauser Kat

Oct 27, 2017
this is pretty disgusting to me. Pigs are fairly fucking intelligent. We dont know what kind of pain or suffering this enacted on the brain.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
I'm all for this. Whatever it takes to be able to help extend my life further. The thought that eventually I am going to never ever have the ability to think again, forever, keeps me up at night.

Obviously I know we all have to go sometime...but why not a bit later?

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
literally nobody:
scientists:
we kept pig brains alive 10 hours after death

But I'm with others saying this is valuable research. If this means that somehow in my lifetime I can extend my conscious time, that would be dope. I really don't want to cease to exist.

GravaGravity

Oct 27, 2017
Guess the question is whether you can start/keep the neural patterns going after/while the brain is removed.

Then again do we want that answer?

PETA might go fishing in slaughter house bins for pig brains to resuscitate...

Cilidra

A friend is worth more than a million Venezuelan$
Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa
So a scientist with the same name than Franstein's author (Mary Shelley) is keeping (pigs) brains alive for 10 hours after death...
Are we sure this is not a April's fool day news that got retold?