• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Pretty unsettling in its potential long-term implications for how this knowledge might be used. The only thing scarier than dying is living forever.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The "the pigs didn't feel anything" thing is totally the way the Tales from the Crypt episode starts.

GeminiX7

Feb 6, 2019
Pretty unsettling in its potential long-term implications for how this knowledge might be used. The only thing scarier than dying is living forever.
Eh, thats kind of bullshit. It's like the assumption that any alien that would have the ability to cross the cosmos would only do so to conquer others. We have no concept for living "forever" and there is tons and tons of ways to make it worthwhile/beneficial to yourself and the human race as a whole. Exploration of the cosmos, rejuvenating the planet, reaching the limits(if there are any) of science. Hell, if it ever gets boring, put your brain on ice a few trillion years and try another cosmic age if it does it for you.

Garble Slew

Oct 27, 2017
Atlanta, Georgia
giphy.gif

It's happening.

Should have been the first post.

Cheapstare

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty amazing, imagine the possibilities for someone who suffered a stroke, or a baby whose brain was cut off from oxygen during birth.

Don't be dense peeps.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
So it was just cell parts that had enough nutrients to keep moving a while longer. An involuntary metabolic process that happens automatically, regardless of larger functions.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
But I'm with others saying this is valuable research. If this means that somehow in my lifetime I can extend my conscious time, that would be dope. I really don't want to cease to exist.

Don't know what you mean by "extending" but...

Imagin living for 10 000 years. Now realize this is incredibly short against the prospect of eternal life.

There is no existence without suffering. This means you would never get rest from all the shit and pain and dissapointment. It means you would have to endure the boring and mundane things for ETERNITY. What I mean is that it could really become a living hell.

Don't get me wrong, I love life, and it is indeed too short, but it is one of the reasons we care for it. The prospect of living for very long or forever is scarier than death. One day or another you would lose the people you love, wether by violent death or because they can't deal with you anymore. Living for a very long time would not protect you against the hurdles and pains of existence, and there is no place you could go to rest and leave it all behind.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
It's kind of useless to try to think about what it feels like to be unconscious and freak out.

We do it every night during deep sleep. And when we are dead, wedo not think, so it won't matter to us at all, just like before we were born.

But they will keep on trying to imagin what it feels like, losing sleep, feeling incredible anxiety and wasting that little precious conscious time they have while alive.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's kind of useless to try to think about what it feels like to be unconscious and freak out.

We do it every night during deep sleep. And when we are dead, wedo not think, so it won't matter to us at all, just like before we were born.

But they will keep on trying to imagin what it feels like, losing sleep, feeling incredible anxiety and wasting that little precious conscious time they have while alive.

That Mark Twain quote about having been "dead" for so long before being born is nice and all, but there's one big difference about death which is... you know it's coming and that it's inevitable lol. Not the same.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder why they even waited 4 hours. If this was going to be done to save a human brain in the future you'd have the human in their death bed just waiting for immediate brain harvest to retain as much of the person as possible.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
This could be important progress in mitigating brain damage when the body cannot supply oxygen. People freaking out aren't thinking of the actual practical uses they're jumping to putting brains in robots (lol).

It reminds me of people overreacting to CRISPR-Cas9 when it could be used for more dynamic treatment rather than genetically engineering a baby.

vpricot

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Eh, thats kind of bullshit. It's like the assumption that any alien that would have the ability to cross the cosmos would only do so to conquer others. We have no concept for living "forever" and there is tons and tons of ways to make it worthwhile/beneficial to yourself and the human race as a whole. Exploration of the cosmos, rejuvenating the planet, reaching the limits(if there are any) of science. Hell, if it ever gets boring, put your brain on ice a few trillion years and try another cosmic age if it does it for you.
Yep. At that point we could just chemically cure ourselves of boredom and be forever satisfied with eternal life.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
How so? I'm genuinely curious
Well, it was kind of obviously a scam since the entire idea was to get paid now for technology that may or may not ever exist. I said that because if the best scenario right now for brain revival is a couple of pig brain cells being reanimated for a few hours in lab conditions, it doesn't really bode well for the actual human brains that have been sitting in freezers for years.

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, it was kind of obviously a scam since the entire idea was to get paid now for technology that may or may not ever exist. I said that because if the best scenario right now for brain revival is a couple of pig brain cells being reanimated for a few hours in lab conditions, it doesn't really bode well for the actual human brains that have been sitting in freezers for years.

I mean, every medical procedure that's common now like heart transplants was most likely considered a scam at some point by someone until some low key genius pulled it off.

I see this as progress in the direction of reviving a frozen brain one day in the far future. It's more a question if the cryogenic preserve brains were preserved in a manner that allowed it to hold on to the vital information. What's that saying? Rome wasn't built in one night.

I'm bias in my belief though because I do have some level of faith in cryogenic preservation even though the medical technology isn't there yet.

Don't mind me too much. I enjoy conversations like these.

Oct 27, 2017
Don't know what you mean by "extending" but...

Imagin living for 10 000 years. Now realize this is incredibly short against the prospect of eternal life.

There is no existence without suffering. This means you would never get rest from all the shit and pain and dissapointment. It means you would have to endure the boring and mundane things for ETERNITY. What I mean is that it could really become a living hell.

Don't get me wrong, I love life, and it is indeed too short, but it is one of the reasons we care for it. The prospect of living for very long or forever is scarier than death. One day or another you would lose the people you love, wether by violent death or because they can't deal with you anymore. Living for a very long time would not protect you against the hurdles and pains of existence, and there is no place you could go to rest and leave it all behind.
This + other assholes would be able to live forever as well, and you can't just wait for them to die off. Like, think of a rich asshole political figure you can't stand, and then think he's gonna get the immortality treatment before you do cuz he has money.

I'm all for this. Whatever it takes to be able to help extend my life further. The thought that eventually I am going to never ever have the ability to think again, forever, keeps me up at night.
Not having thoughts can be pretty peaceful.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno if they got scammed though. They knew it was a long shot, but it was the only shot available. If I was old and rich I'd probably do it too. heh

This + other assholes would be able to live forever as well, and you can't just wait for them to die off. Like, think of a rich asshole political figure you can't stand, and then think he's gonna get the immortality treatment before you do cuz he has money.

Not having thoughts can be pretty peaceful.
I mean, there are options available if you're really tired of living after 10,000 years.

Deleted member 671

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta love science threads. Here we have news of the start of potentially groundbreaking treatment for brain damage victims and we get zombie apocalypse and other posts.

fierrotlepou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This has been done before. I don't understand why we're reading that this is a "first"?

There's even been a ResetERA thread last year.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2018/05/17/pig-brain-reanimated-ethics/

They've even managed 36 hours instead of 10.

Yale neuroscientist Nenad Sestan revealed the breakthrough during a meeting at the National Institutes of Health (NIH) on March 28. Sestan's team reportedly experimented on over 100 pig brains obtained from a slaughterhouse and restored their circulation using a system of pumps, heaters, and artificial blood. The researchers said they managed to reactivate the brains for up to 36 hours

Oct 25, 2017
Read the Lovecraft serial that was pretty much this a couple weeks ago so that's an odd convergence.

I feel like there needs to be another crackdown on research ethics, we're hitting way too many frontiers and I'm not convinced we're taking our due diligence.

Snack12367

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if they could keep the neurons if the transplant had taken place quicker. Imagine a world where humans close to death have their brains moved into machines.

anamika

May 18, 2018
I will probably need to read the paper, but if these neurons are alive, would do they not have electrical functionality? Synaptic connectivity etc.?