• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
The vast majority of games with a low metascore are bad games. Period.

But do you know what? It's ok to like a bad game sometimes. Hell I liked Dino Crisis 3. And I'm sure there were people out there who liked Superman 64.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
mainImg.jpg

You must tell me this second one, solely because I know Boneface did this art.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
I think it's a fun game (sometimes really fun), but it's also a bad game. I don't think the two are mutually exclusive, as odd that might sound.

It definitely suffers from having to carry the mantle of a marquee first party AAA game, and one that was supposed to push revolutionary cloud tech in games. I think it would've been better suited to a Gamepass-only release, and I think it's exemplary of a kind of more mid-tier game (both in quality and production value) that I hope we see round out Gamepass offerings.

Still, it's clearly a completely mismanaged game from conception to release. And, while traversal, combat, and sheer chaos have good moments, so much else of the game is just bad if not terrible. Outside of orb hunting, the world serves virtually no purpose and feels totally dead. All the different mission types are extremely samey quickly causing a feeling of burnout. Part of me enjoys combat for the way it rewards engaging enemies and its sheer havoc, but it can devolve into a stupidly easy game of shifting lock-on and holding RT. The story and characters are pointless and the presentation so bad it's good.

Deleted member 388

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Metal Gear Survive was one of my favorite games last year so I absolutely get it. That said, Crackdown 3 was such an incredible disappointment to me.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Definitely one of my favourite games of this year so far along with dmc5. I definitely see why it got the general review scores but that never really bothered me during my three playthroughs. It's even weird saying it, but i'd even consider it to be the best playing open world games of the past years when it comes to overall control and feel of the character and that only improves the stronger your character gets.

I'm glad they were able to finish it even though it's not that revolutionary open world title that Jones' team was promising at the start which could've possibly changed it's initial reception, i'm still happy i was able to get into this series as a complete newcomer to the franchise.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
You're not crazy, it's definitely going to be among my favourite games of not just this year, but the whole generation. I'm sorry that some people who've played it haven't found enjoyment in it, but hey, plenty of other great games this year.

I just hope that the negative (and frankly, utterly baffling to me) reception the game has gotten won't spell the end of the franchise, it's one of my favourite and most consistently enjoyable series. Campaign DLC, please!

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's super-fun when you're able to see value in experiences most will look past for one reason or another.

I'm quite into hobby-grade game development. Titles put together by teams of 1 or 2 people on the slimmest of budgets. Spaces where ideas are more important than glossy execution.

The standouts for me this year have been Objects in Space, Kenshi, and Project Zomboid. All were actually received well but if you were to go by screenshots, they each look aggressively amateur. But I think they're little darlings, more valuable to me than the vast bulk of popular AAA releases of late.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I believed in Sean Murray and I stood by No Mans Sky at launch. Was a cool game with a great vibe and i was really interested in what it was doing and had the potential of becoming. Cynicism was strong back then, but the team delivered the vision and year 3 is looking even better.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Sea of Thieves is in the 60s on Metacritic and it's more than likely my game of the generation. Who cares about scores when you love something. It's why it's pointless to get into Metacritic score posturing. Who cares. Play what you love. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
I believed in Sean Murray and I stood by No Mans Sky at launch. Was a cool game with a great vibe and was really interesting in what it was doing and had the potential of becoming. Cynicism was strong back then, but the team delivered the vision and year 3 is looking even better.
Hm, I started this game last week and found it to be very bland and grindy. The first few hours (at least) require you to go from planet to planet grinding resources to create ship parts, fuel, resources, etc.. Having so many lengthy barriers to pure and simple exploration is a huge turn off. I'm not sure I'll pick it back up.

EndingE

Nov 8, 2017
I mean.. you like what you like, so scores don't matter in that sense. But having played the game myself, I absolutely agree with the majority of the reviews.

Deleted member 4044

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP, did you play Crackdown 1 before? I guess if this is your first Crackdown, then the novelty of the orbs upgrading and changing your character is worth a playthrough. But a lot of reviewers gave it the score they did because it literally did nothing to advance the gameplay past what we had in 2007. Because of that, they found it quite boring/tedious, especially compared to games that have been designed with more of a modern focus in mind. I couldn't bring myself to play Crackdown 3 for more than an hour on Game Pass.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
100%. Crackdown is currently my GOTY and had it released in 2018 it would have been #2 after Horizon 4.

But do you know what? It's ok to like a bad game sometimes. Hell I liked Dino Crisis 3. And I'm sure there were people out there who liked Superman 64.
There are no bad games. Game quality is an almost wholly subjective metric which is why metascores are a useless metric for quality.

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
100%. Crackdown is currently my GOTY and had it released in 2018 it would have been #2 after Horizon 4.

There are no bad games. Game quality is an almost wholly subjective metric which is why metascores are a useless metric for quality.
There are bad games. Games that just dont work or crash a lot are objectively bad games.

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
Like, I agree in theory. I'm all for dumb fun games that feel good to play but don't necessarily push the medium forward, but my experience with Crackdown 3 just felt kinda mediocre. Definitely not terrible, just not great.

Especially considering Crackdown 1 and 2 already exist if you want that game.

Oct 27, 2017

Stop with the hyperbole. Yes, Jeremy Mc Callister from Arkansas liked the game, but his parents were poor and they couldn't afford to buy Jeremy more games, so he "forced" himself to love Superman 64 in order to not hurt his parents' feelings.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Isn't the OP essentially just a review?

But it's One Of Us who wrote it, not One Of Them. Random poster #45794's thread is automatically Deep Wisdom and Worthy of Consideration, while every single review on magazines and websites is automatically Wrong and Part of the Problem. /s

I'll never not find it hilarious how people saying "reviews are useless" really mean "other people's reviews are useless, just listen to me".

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
As for a game I liked regardless of critics I'll say ME Andromeda, I enjoyed my time with it, played through it twice as a matter of fact

Same here! My 2nd playthrough was this year and still enjoyed my time with it.

Another game I enjoyed that got critically panned was Fallout 76. It was far from their best game, but I still enjoyed my time with it and plan on going back to it later this year. I can't see eye to eye with OP on Crackdown 3 though. Played for about 90 minutes and deleted it as it felt dated. Good thing about video games as in all things life, we're all entitled to like what we like.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hmmm, that's a good question. Even I'm unsure what I'd fully put as my number #1. MGSV or Undertale come to mind but I'd need to remember more of what I've played this gen.

Why would you not remember what you have played? If you don't even remember those other games, I guess they didn't leave much of an impact on you.

This has been an incredible gen with dozens of fantastic games.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
State of Decay 2.

World War Z.

Sonic Unleashed.

I'm playing State of Decay 2 now, or when I get home.

And I think I'll eventually get CD3. I love the series.

I never cared about scores as far as buying games, or just about anything.

I only talk about scores on forms, in person. Movies, games, etc.

Last edited:

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
Honestly I hate the state of the gaming journalism right now I don't even pay attention to reviews anymore (which negatively effects the legitimately good and unbiased reviewers out there). There's a lot of fake news out there and forced agendas. Oh yeah and there have been multiple cases where a journalist has given a bad review because they can't even play the game properly e.g. Anthem and RE2. Let's not forget that Cuphead demo either.

But yeah, if you enjoy a game that received bad reviews then good for you my man. Don't let anyone try and change your opinion about it.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Why would you not remember what you have played? If you don't even remember those other games, I guess they didn't leave much of an impact on you.

This has been an incredible gen with dozens of fantastic games.

Personally, this gen has been rather weak in games that appeal to my personal tastes. Some of my biggest time sinks have just been remasters of older titles. But I'll keep that for another thread since I don't want to derail this one.

I will say that a lot of titles for this gen that I would list aren't universally regarded however.

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
I had a great weekend with it, although I doubt at the end of the year it's going to be in my top 10. But you do you and don't let anyone shame you for liking a game.

SprachBrooks

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I would question if this is just Phil Spencer but even he rightly knows what a colossal piece of shit this game is.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
OP, did you play Crackdown 1 before? I guess if this is your first Crackdown, then the novelty of the orbs upgrading and changing your character is worth a playthrough. But a lot of reviewers gave it the score they did because it literally did nothing to advance the gameplay past what we had in 2007. Because of that, they found it quite boring/tedious, especially compared to games that have been designed with more of a modern focus in mind. I couldn't bring myself to play Crackdown 3 for more than an hour on Game Pass.
I spent about 10-15 hours playing the original Crackdown in the run up to 3 releasing and I still think it's a fantastic game.

The bolded is utter nonsense and shows you don't what you're talking about. Here's a small selection off the top of my head of some of the major differences between Crackdown 1 and 3:

- The addition of double/triple jumps and lateral boosts which massively overhauls the movement and traversal.
- Hugely increased enemy variety including:
- The standard fodder​
- Body shield wielding units​
- Numerous vehicles​
- Teleporting soldiers​
- Rocket bastards which regularly spawn stationary bubble shields​
- Various melee type units​
- Various drone style units​
- Various mechs​
etc.​
- Bosses are actually unique encounters rather than simply units with extra health
- Significantly more objective variety
- Platforming puzzles and challenges
- The world design in general saw a massive improvement with much more care spent on designing interesting play spaces and platforming.

etc.
There are bad games. Games that just dont work or crash a lot are objectively bad games.
Technical problems are about as close as you can get to objective issues with games. However, even then their effect on the quality of a title is subjective.

A game which crashes every 30 minutes might still be my favourite of all time if it plays well enough,

Sever

Oct 27, 2017
Agents of Mayhem was a better game.
Wish Crackdown 3 was a single player (enjoyed SP) only game the online portion was such a waste of development time and money.

Last edited:

Sarobi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I liked Pro Skater 5 despite the scores, but I understand why it got those scores, and understand why people would think it's trash.

Also I had more fun playing THPS5 than CD3. Kappa.

Deleted member 1607

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Personally, this gen has been rather weak in games that appeal to my personal tastes. Some of my biggest time sinks have just been remasters of older titles. But I'll keep that for another thread since I don't want to derail this one.

I will say that a lot of titles for this gen that I would list aren't universally regarded however.

Don't forget you also have horrible taste regarding the Alien movie franchise

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Really seems to come down to whether or not you wanted more crackdown or something a bit upgraded from what I've noticed in these discussions.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
I loved timeshift and dark sector. But I agree they are bad games outside of one or two specific things that made me not care about those parts.

Should I agree or disagree with the reviews?

ericsp17

Oct 27, 2017
I had some fun with it but its understandable why it scored the way it did. No reason to get too attached to what scores are given. I've been burned by highly scored games that I despised. I'll never get over Resistance 2, that one got 9's all over the place and still hurts.

Oct 27, 2017
I loved timeshift and dark sector. But I agree they are bad games outside of one or two specific things that made me not care about those parts.

It depends on if you agree with the reviews content. For example a big thing about Crackdown 3 was reviewers said it was repetitive, yet I beat the game and didn't really find that to be the case for me. I've played Ubi games that are 10x more repetitive than CD3.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017

If you agree with the reasoning in the review, and agree that they're bad games then yes.

However, there are plenty of games where I'll not only disagree that it's a bad (or good) game, but disagree with the reasoning also.

OP
OP
Neat

Neat

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I have! Enjoyed the first one quite a lot. Then played the sequel when it came out and it wasn't nearly as good, but still a decent ride. I would put CD3 around the level of the first game. Yeah the gameplay has been mostly intact but there are some good QoL changes that I truly appreciate.

I would question if this is just Phil Spencer but even he rightly knows what a colossal piece of shit this game is.
Dammit I tried to make it less obvious

441028947355107338.png

Colloco

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
florida
I found Crackdown 1 to be incredibly boring and empty feeling, so didn't bother with 2 and from what I heard about 3 its very similar to the previous ones, so its a pass from me.

But yes OP, its totally possible for you to play a game that is not amazing and love the hell out of it. Doesn't make you wrong.
I can watch the Thomas Jane Punisher movie any day and love the hell out of it. I honestly can't see why anyone would not enjoy it.
But I do accept that a lot of people (like... A LOT) consider it a bad movie. And thats okay. They're probably right. Doesn't make me enjoy it any less.
I also love that film but it's also because I literally grew up where most of those scenes were shot 😀

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
I enjoyed the game for about 6 hours or so but I don't think I will spend the time to finish. Its fun but it wore off and I don't think its worth the time to collect everything. MP mode was a huge letdown. I really wanted 4 player coop instead...