• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Promo

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Not even sure if there's any other Scottish members here yet, but I'll be ready for you all when you roll up. If this isn't different enough from the general British OT, please delete, but I feel, culturally, Scotland is a different beast altogether. Not that I'm gonna go off on a whole independence tangent or anything. Well, not yet anyway. Will add, if the topic does go in that direction, that respect is held. We're all fellow countrymen at the end of the day, we're stuck here together, be nice.

I'm usually based in Edinburgh, and sometimes Glasgow, but I'm currently living in a shitty town in the highlands, due to financial woes, I'm sure some of you can relate.

(Considering creating a discord chat, let me know if you think this is a good idea!)

Last edited:

CeeCee

Oct 25, 2017
Scottish by blood (family is from Ayrshire and East Kilbride) but live in London!

OP
OP
Promo

Promo

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Ah, good to see you all. Thread was lonely for a wee while there, was getting worried, glad it's getting posted in now!

Hi ScotERA!

Living and working in Stirling currently.

Posting my favourite Limmy sketch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfectchNtQM&t=146s

I have actually been to Yoker, deliberately visited for a laugh with my mates after seeing that sketch. To be honest, it's like most places on the outskirts of Glasgow, empty, and scarily quiet.

Oct 25, 2017
Outside Perth Scotland
Ah, good to see you all. Thread was lonely for a wee while there, was getting worried, glad it's getting posted in now!

I have actually been to Yoker, deliberately visited for a laugh with my mates after seeing that sketch. To be honest, it's like most places on the outskirts of Glasgow, empty, and scarily quiet.

I used to know a couple of girls from Yoker. It wasn't that bad. The high rises looked horrible but it kind of reminded me of Gorgie. We went to a pub called The Station Bar. I was expecting a few growlers but it was actually a friendly wee place.

Metalix

Oct 28, 2017
Salutations! Don't live in Edinburgh anymore (London) but will return to the motherland repeatedly for the Autumn tests/Natwest Six Nations!

squarego

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
Glasgow escapee here, ran away to Switzerland at the beginning of the century.

cabot

Oct 25, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
drink more?

How was everyone's festivities?

I went to Inverness with the lady in december just before xmas, was pretty nice.

Since then it's been working on game back catalog.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
All I've done besides go to my mums for Christmas is see Star Wars the other day. Besides that, just been relaxing and playing stuff.

Oh, also saw my mums/my old next door neighbour on Christmas who I've known since I was toddler. She has cancer and has refused treatment as she feels ready to die and will likely die this year. She's either 95 or 96 this year I think (end of January) but I won't be seeing her again, I was satisfied with seeing her one more time and I'm happy to leave things like that. Can't say I'm not dreading hearing the bad news though.

I'm just glad she got through one more Christmas/New Years and hopefully will get through one more birthday.

(yeah I know this sounds very downy but we've come to terms with it all so we're trying not to be sad before it happens at least...)

MrMysterio

Oct 25, 2017
Saw Star Wars as well, was tempted to go IMAX, but couldn't be bothered in the end.

95/96 is a pretty good run! Of course, death is never something easy to get to terms with (if that's possible at all).
An old friend of mine I saw over Christmas has almost completely shot his liver with alcohol (it's been a long time coming), so that wasn't great - made it easier not to pick up drinking again, though!

Kind of feel like Scotland should aim to legalise some uppers for Winter time at least. Not sure if that'll be a good idea for a new independence slogan: Pro-January Uppers!

cabot

Oct 25, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
sounds like a crazy idea, one that will never be accomplished.

SNP is all about shutting down.

I'm thinking about your neighbour, Stuart. What makes her okay with dying instead of fighting for life? Religion? Acceptance?

Don't answer, you don't need to. Just things I think about.

I had a solid xmas, no bad news for me (thankfully). Then my bday was on Wednesday, so I had a mildly okay day followed by a fine dinner at the Tiki Bar.

Tomorrow is when I gather the friends for bday celebrations, we're doing board games. The Thing: Infection at Outpost 31 is on the agenda and I am mildly excited.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking about your neighbour, Stuart. What makes her okay with dying instead of fighting for life? Religion? Acceptance?

Don't answer, you don't need to. Just things I think about.

From what I've been told/seen. She's just ready to die. She's outlived many people including her own room mate (who died 7+ years ago, I forget exactly when but I remember being shocked and sad when that happened :( ) and she is just ready to go.

For the record, both my mum (my mum always called her, her other mother so they are close as well) and the neighbour's niece have tried to talk her into getting treatment. Once she failed to convince her, then we can't do much about it except well.. accept it.

The good thing I guess is from a personal stand point. I know she's going to die and even have control of my last memories of her. Unless she lives until next Christmas (doesn't look likely), my last memories of her were very nice, smiling, etc. I think I'd prefer that.

Again, that's just from a personal stand point but I am still sad just thinking about it, that day when I get the phone call from my mum with her in tears and I'll know why before she even says it.

cabot

Oct 25, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Yeah, that'll be rough.

But at least you have you have control of your memories, and she's at a really good age to live to, at our current place in time.

If she's honestly okay with dying, I guess you just have to accept it and deal with it.

this got dark for a revival of the thread. How about them Celtics?

or Rangers?

Halp.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
Fun fact: I'm not into Football yet I enjoy Football Manager.

Been playing as Montrose and raised them from the bottom to top league in FM18.

It's a good way to waste time XD

MrBoBo

Nov 6, 2017
Saw Star Wars as well, was tempted to go IMAX, but couldn't be bothered in the end.

The next trilogy will apparently be filmed in Scotland up north.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/...s_trilogy___39_to_be_filmed_in_Scotland__39_/

Been a few major films here lately, Infinity War shot in Edinburgh, Mary Queen Of Scots at various locations and Outlaw King across parts of Scotland. They were filming a few miles away from me at Linlithgow Palace using smoke effects and shit.

Fukuzatsu

Oct 25, 2017
Ulster Scots, family's from Belfast. Is this thread literally just the "there are dozens of us!" gif?

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
Oh, how did I miss this thread?

I've been an Embra resident for the last twenty-odd years but originally from the mighty Kingdom of Fife.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
Important Irn-Bru themed content.

Dd82h4KUQAAK4v8.jpg

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
I was through in Glasgow last week and it was 25 degrees C. Madness. Proper taps aff weather :D

Metalix

Oct 28, 2017
It's insanity, spent all of Saturday beached on the sofa with the windows open and it still didn't cool the place down, send aid.

Oct 25, 2017
Hope nobody from here is affected by that huge fire that's in central.

Shits wild though I looked out my kitchen window and the skyline is smoke and fire.