• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I'm going to do you a favor and look past your comparison to slavery or blood sacrifices because it's 2019 and nearly worldwide everyone is in agreement both of those things are bad.

Haha, yeah. Being charitable with the reading "people are abusive because society is abusive" is maybe not an incorrect take per se, but it's a weird thing to say in a climate when so many people in power are so openly abusive and the rest of us are limited in our recourse to hold them accountable. We cannot escape the conclusion that society is abusive because abusive people have so thoroughly shaped it.

whatsarobot

Nov 17, 2017
For this to make sense you have to believe that him taking his life is a result of people reactions and not Alec deciding to end his life to absolve himself from facing the fucked up things he did, just like he threatened to do for that very reason, repeatedly apparently.
He took his life because he was mentally ill. He acted horribly, no denying that, but suicide isn't a logical escape from bad decisions. It's what sick people do.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
He took his life because he was mentally ill. He acted horribly, no denying that, but suicide isn't a logical escape from bad decisions. It's what sick people do.

You're saying this as if you've just had a 1-on-1 with his psychiatrist or something.

There is no universal reason why people choose to take their own lives.

whatsarobot

Nov 17, 2017
You're saying this as if you've just had a 1-on-1 with his psychiatrist or something.

There is no universal reason why people choose to take their own lives.
I just have no words for this shit. He posted excessively about mental health issues, which does not undo or justify the damage and abuse he caused, but does give some context for why he killed himself.

The lack of empathy from some posters is shocking. Empathy for Zoe and any who were abused, yes of course, but we can also have empathy for sick people who do bad things.

Just_a_Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I just have no words for this shit. He posted excessively about mental health issues, which does not undo or justify the damage and abuse he caused, but does give some context for why he killed himself.

The lack of empathy from some posters is shocking. Empathy for Zoe and any who were abused, yes of course, but we can also have empathy for sick people who do bad things.

Why should we reserve empathy for people that do horrible things? They should be scrutinized in the light so we can learn from their actions, but empathy? Nah, don't have none of that for serial abusers.

Last edited:

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017

Not sure why you're directing that to me, I have no animosity for the guy; I think it's fucked up what he did, I also think it's messed up that the way it ended. But to suggest it's other peoples fault he took his life for thinking what he did was awful is some outta leftfield nonsense.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Why should we empathy for people that do horrible things? They should be scrutinized in the light, but empathy? Nah, don't have none of that for serial abusers.
Dude, if you just show empathy for those who are simpathetic to you, you are behaving tribaly. And I'm NOT defending Holowka at all, he shouldn't have done what he did and should have not killed himself and instead defend himself and face the consequences of his actions. But I do feel sorry for him and the way he ended. I guess compassion is a profesional deformation for me.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
I don't believe he had the capacity to become a better person, he had several years with several opportunities to do so, all while abusing many more people along the way.

Everyone has the capacity to become a better person, its why we try. Don't pitch up this sort of absolutist talk, its harmful.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone has the capacity to become a better person, its why we try. Don't pitch up this sort of absolutist talk, its harmful.

Everyone has the capacity to become a better person. The question is did Alec WANT to?

Again, I am speaking from a place of bias when I say this, but when I see someone who was a serial abuser for a decade who acted like he was improving but secretly just moved on to other targets for his abuse, I don't see someone who actually, truly wanted to improve as a human being. I just see someone who figured out how to game the system. Just like my damn brother.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017

I want to believe this. But what really tests my faith are people who pretend to be getting better in order to further manipulate and hurt others.

At what point do you simply give up on them?

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone has the capacity to become a better person. The question is did Alec WANT to?

We'll never really know - Scott himself doesn't have a full picture. I took issue with the initial statement, because you can't operate a social safety net on the basis that some people need to be written off society. Even the most hopeless of cases need a little hope to get on by. Maybe not from you or me, but the system has to give back.

When you feel your own sense of mental and physical wellbeing is at risk - its time to move on.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We'll never really know - Scott himself doesn't have a full picture. I took issue with the initial statement, because you can't operate a social safety net on the basis that some people need to be written off society. Even the most hopeless of cases need a little hope to get on by. Maybe not from you or me, but the system has to give back.
When you feel your own sense of mental and physical wellbeing is at risk - its time to move on.

There are some people that are beyond help and don't want to be better. I'm sorry if that idea is scary to you. It's funny to me that you say it's okay to move on when you feel yourself at risk but that's not how Alec operated, as explicitly stated by multiple victims of his.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017

When they're consciously a threat to others (in the sense of being a manipulative predator), the only reasonable thing to do it separate yourself from them, and warn others away from them. They can choose to change and grow from there, and forgiveness comes after, depending on the individual. It's specifically not someone's job to enable and insulate ongoing wrongdoing, whether it's a personal relationship or a publc figure. Specifically, this isn't "giving up on someone," but ironically that corruption of good intentions is one of the pressure points we know Holowka leveraged against those around him.

It needs to be repeated the many opportunities Holowka had to change, and made the conscious choice not to, while also cruelly using the idea of his mental health to manipulate other victims. This was not someone who relented, regreted, or even simply stopped his abuse of others. This is not the person you artificially humanize as an intellectual exercise because it makes you feel better.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Terrible situation all round. Condolences for the family and those close to Alec (we'll probably never know what they went through, let alone towards the end).
I also respect those who've spoken out, including Scott. They've been incredibly brave, and I hope their accounts enable others to have courage and recover.

The vast majority of us on here are outsiders, and we're lucky to have this much context available. We're free to ingest the info as we please, and everyone will have their own idea about what to take away from it; but this is a very sensitive subject about human life. This isn't the time for hot takes and "yeah buts". Just accept everyone is dealing with the situation differently, and ultimately we have no right to judge when we're just strangers looking in.

If you must judge, do it internally. Process it, and let it help you become a better person.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
There are some people that are beyond help and don't want to be better. I'm sorry if that idea is scary to you. It's funny to me that you say it's okay to move on when you feel yourself at risk but that's not how Alec operated, as explicitly stated by multiple victims of his.

You seem to be conflating different points - this isn't about ideas being scary, its about systems being accountable. Outright condemnation doesn't exist in a social safety net. You are perpetuating a mindthink that applies on a personal scale - and I've already made clear that individuals like you and me aren't in a capacity to help. I'm agreeing with you on a subtext, but the whole concept of "beyond redemption" is one that perpetuates harm for people and those around them who feel they have nothing left to lose.

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017
There's a site going around, [REDACTED - alt-right-affiliated], circulating screenshots supposedly from Holowka "proving" that Quinn abused him during their time together rather than the other way around. It's a right-leaning site, though, and other people (including Benson, as this very thread links to!) have come forward about Holowka's behavior. At best, it sounds like Quinn and Holowka's relationship was simply all kinds of toxic. :/

Last edited:

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
There's a site going around, The Post Millenial, circulating screenshots supposedly from Holowka "proving" that Quinn abused him during their time together rather than the other way around. It's a right-leaning site, though, and other people (including Benson, as this very thread links to!) have come forward about Holowka's behavior. At best, it sounds like Quinn and Holowka's relationship was simply all kinds of toxic. :/

At best you shouldn't believe everything you read and especially you shouldn't believe anything from some Breitbart-like website and *especially* you shouldn't be saying shit about Quinn's relationship or them as a person when they were Gamergate's #1 harassment target and all the gamer nazis are salivating at trying to spread as much FUD as possible so that even a little of it is taken up by naive people who end up reproducing the narrative that there's something wrong with Quinn.

I'd rather you just don't mention that site since simply addressing it gives it an air of legitimacy when it's the gamer nazis favorite outlet.

Last edited:

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017
At best you shouldn't believe everything you read and especially you shouldn't believe anything from some Breitbart-like website and *especially* you shouldn't be saying shit about Quinn's relationship or them as a person when they were Gamergate's #1 harassment target and all the gamer nazis are salivating at trying to spread as much FUD as possible so that even a little of it is taken up by naive people who end up reproducing the narrative that there's something wrong with Quinn.

I'd rather you just don't mention that site since simply addressing it gives it an air of legitimacy when it's the gamer nazis favorite outlet.

I hadn't heard of the site before, but I could tell it definitely leaned right. I just wanted to post it since I've already had some jerk on Kotaku harassing me over it. If they're true, we shouldn't try to say that Quinn is perfect or anything, but even if they're true that doesn't negate the fact that Quinn's been harassed for so long, nor the fact that Benson and others have mentioned Holowka's behavior. Figured it would be important enough to raise here seeing as it had screenshots with the post, though, whether fake or real.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I subjected myself to that dumb article and what it basically boils down to is "Quinn sounded happy on Twitter during her relationship with Holowka, so it couldn't have actually been abusive." garbage

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I hadn't heard of the site before, but I could tell it definitely leaned right. I just wanted to post it since I've already had some jerk on Kotaku harassing me over it. If they're true, we shouldn't try to say that Quinn is perfect or anything, but even if they're true that doesn't negate the fact that Quinn's been harassed for so long, nor the fact that Benson and others have mentioned Holowka's behavior. Figured it would be important enough to raise here seeing as it had screenshots with the post, though, whether fake or real.

You're spreading what appears to be misinformation from an untrustworthy source, and aren't even confident that it's real yourself. I strongly recommend against this, particularly given the situation and topic. To the point where unless you feel strongly it's somehow important and reliable, I would edit your post to eliminate the path back to the (seeming) propaganda from a site you say you never heard of before sharing.

And to be perfectly transparent, anyone coming into these conversations insisting on saying "we shouldn't try to say that Quinn is perfect or anything" (even as part of a longer, theoretically well-meaning statement) makes me incredibly wary. Double that up with spreading unprompted bad info, and you can probably imagine why there's scrutiny.

Last edited:

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017

Are you seriously was-no-angel-ing this situation on the basis of alt-right clickbait? Kindly fuck off with that post-haste.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I subjected myself to that dumb article and what it basically boils down to is "Quinn sounded happy on Twitter during her relationship with Holowka, so it couldn't have actually been abusive." garbage
It's very clear the author of that article doesn't know what it means to be in an abusive relationship. Nothing there contradicts what Quinn has said, and it's quite upsetting, though not unsurprising, that people are trying to discredit Quinn.

tinyhipsterboy I'd recommend removing the name of the website. They don't need more clicks and we don't need to be spreading that kind of shit in here.

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017
Are you seriously was-no-angel-ing this situation on the basis of alt-right clickbait? Kindly fuck off with that post-haste.

I'm... not doing that though? I'm saying if it's true, that doesn't mean Holowka wasn't abusive, and I mentioned the clickbait so people would be aware of the newest tactic Quinn's harassers are using.

And to be perfectly transparent, anyone comes into these conversations insists on saying how "we shouldn't try to say that Quinn is perfect or anything" (even as part of a longer, theoretically well-meaning statement) makes me incredibly wary. Double that up with spreading unprompted bad info, and you can probably imagine why there's scrutiny.

Nah, I get that why you'd side-eye what I said. I was just trying to say that if this was somehow true, we shouldn't try to downplay that; we don't want to be as bad as the people defending the abuse, y'know? I'll edit that first post though, I knew it was right-leaning but wasn't aware it was GG-affiliated. Figured it'd be good to let people know that's going around, though, since it'll likely be used to try and discredit Quinn (even though she's not the only one who spoke out about Holowka). The screenshots are primarily Holowka saying he feels like he couldn't say things, but as we know, abusers will often play the victim anyway. :/

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's absolute horseshit, that article. Thankfully given that most people never seem to have even heard of that site, it won't get any more publicity (than it's unfortunately received here). Full of BS gotcha moments which all add up to a big fat fucking nothing.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's absolute horseshit, that article. Thankfully given that most people never seem to have even heard of that site, it won't get any more publicity (than it's unfortunately received here). Full of BS gotcha moments which all add up to a big fat fucking nothing.

To add, its not just Quinn, multiple people have corroborated Alex's behavior.

Which of course, nobody can address. All they want to do is sling shit at Quinn and see how much sticks. That self righteous incel anger.

jakoo

Oct 27, 2017
I am not sure if this is an appropriate bump, should be a new thread, or shouldn't be discussed at all, so mods feel delete if so:

Alec's sister Eilieen posted an essay ruminating over transformative justice in light of processing Alec's death. Given how she obviously believes Alec's victims accounts, as well as of course having a perspective on her own brother, I feel she has an important perspective on how such allegations should be processed by communities that kind of transcends this situation more broadly. I thought it was an thoughtful read.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
I am not sure if this is an appropriate bump, should be a new thread, or shouldn't be discussed at all, so mods feel delete if so:

Alec's sister Eilieen posted an essay ruminating over transformative justice in light of processing Alec's death. Given how she obviously believes Alec's victims accounts, as well as of course having a perspective on her own brother, I feel she has an important perspective on how such allegations should be processed by communities that kind of transcends this situation more broadly. I thought it was an thoughtful read.
That was an incredibly sad read, but also very important. I'm sad he couldn't find space in this world to live, as I believe there was still a lot of good in him to bring to others.