• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Because it's going to be. The Brexit Party will win the highest share of the votes and Labour will be decimated by the Lib Dems.

The only thing I hold out for is a reasonable result in Scotland, but I'm even worried here. There are remain Unionist voters in Scotland more worried about indyref2 than Brexit. Can expect them to abandon Labour or SNP (yes, people up here vote SNP when they think the threat of indyref is gone) and quietly vote TBP in the booth.
Can't wait for the argument that we can't say anything about brexit because the EU elections had pro brexit parties in the lead.

Ignoring that nobody generally gives a shit about EU elections unless you hate them (which lead us here). You know they'll still use that argument though.

Oct 27, 2017
C7EvVwjWwAMwlFq.jpg
This was the exact image that came to mind - I wanted to post it myself but I didn't have it haha

Plum

May 31, 2018
Ignoring that nobody generally gives a shit about EU elections unless you hate them (which lead us here). You know they'll still use that argument though.

EU Citizens living in the UK gave a shit about the EU elections.

Shame that so many of them were 'conveniently' denied the right to vote!

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait for the argument that we can't say anything about brexit because the EU elections had pro brexit parties in the lead.

But that could be our fault, my edit addition to that post

These EuroElections are basically the Brexit vote round 2. And we can expect some of our remain allies to have stayed at home and have been playing Fortnite, watching Game of Thrones or making beans and toast instead of voting. The gammons will have been out in full level 99 Limit Break force.

In the UK the EuroElections are basically a symbolic re-do of the Brexit vote. When The Brexit Party wins that will be used as the "See, we want Brexit, fucking leave tomorrow and send a Trident missile over to Brussels".

WzmEbhx.jpg

You're right people can't be arsed with EU elections and will stay at home, but the gammons won't have. They'll be wheeling old people out of care homes in the thousands again just to get that Brexit symbolic vote passed. It'll be the liberals, centrists and remainers who stay at home.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Out of those I know that voted no last time around, not a single one of them is planning to vote anything other than yes this time around.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
EU Citizens living in the UK gave a shit about the EU elections.

Shame that so many of them were 'conveniently' denied the right to vote!
Yeah I saw a bunch were suing the UK govt because of this. I don't understand why they shouldn't be allowed to vote when they are citizens of Europe.
But that could be our fault, my edit addition to that post

In the UK the EuroElections are basically a symbolic re-do of the Brexit vote. When The Brexit Party wins that will be used as the "See, we want Brexit, fucking leave tomorrow and send a Trident missile over to Brussels".

WzmEbhx.jpg

You're right people can't be arsed with EU elections and will stay at home, but the gammons won't have. They'll be wheeling old people out of care homes in the thousands again just to get that Brexit symbolic vote passed. It'll be the liberals, centrists and remainers who stay at home.
Agreed.

If pro eu people actually turned up to vote in EU elections we would've never reached this point imo.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's a funny way to spell chibbed.

We're improving!

In 2004/05 there were 137 homicides (which include murder and culpable homicide figures) in Scotland - in Glasgow, there were 40 cases alone, double the national rate.

By 2016/17 the number had more than halved to 62.

Last year this had reduced by a further three to 59. A sharp instrument was the main method of killing for 34 (58%) of those cases and all but one of them involved a knife.

This homicide figure was the joint lowest number of recorded homicide cases for a single 12-month period since 1976.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Yeah I saw a bunch were suing the UK govt because of this. I don't understand why they shouldn't be allowed to vote when they are citizens of Europe.

They are allowed to vote.

But because of '''''complications''''' they weren't able to vote.

As you can see there's a massive difference between the two.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Shame we can't all band together and kick England out the UK.

Kick Wales out too. From my experience most of Wales is just England but with a second language.

Frankly as someone with Dual English/Welsh heritage this whole Brexit ordeal (amongst a slew of other things) has pretty much completely decimated any potential pride I had in either country.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
They are allowed to vote.

But because of '''''complications''''' they weren't able to vote.

As you can see there's a massive difference between the two.
Reminds me that the Tories are trying to bring in ID laws like the United States. Seems to be a pattern of Tories seeking to deny the vote of people unlikely to vote for them...

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kick Wales out too. From my experience most of Wales is just England but with a second language.

Frankly as someone with Dual English/Welsh heritage this whole Brexit ordeal (amongst a slew of other things) has pretty much completely decimated any potential pride I had in either country.

🤔

For added laughs

Oct 27, 2017
I'm having a hazy vision of a future where Scotland votes for independence, and public opinion in England switches to revoking Article 50 solely so they can veto all attempts by Scotland to join the EU.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Bit of a mess. I still think it would be unlikely and who can give permission during the Tory leadership race, we aren't going for that, they aren't listening see?

Isn't there the hard Irish border problem without the history in Scotland if the UK leaves without a deal? Good luck selling that.

Independence people aren't necessarily for the EU, perhaps small numbers, don't know for sure.

Not sure how this would go down, Westimster is a complete mess, so many things are up in the air and how they land, who knows, yeah it's not looking good but I don't think you can get a win unless people see the outcome. How does a small percentage win differ from say the Brexit vote :D

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Scotland went independent, would they adopt the Euro?

Probably, but maybe not

An independent Scotland would look to introduce its own currency within the first few years of leaving the UK under a new policy set to be introduced by the SNP.

Under the proposals, Scotland would initially keep the pound during a "transition period" after independence.

But the Scottish Parliament would decide within its first term when to introduce a separate Scottish currency.

The move would be a major policy shift from the 2014 independence referendum.

Writing in the National newspaper, SNP deputy leader Keith Brown predicted the new policy would "maximise support for an independent Scotland".

He later told BBC Scotland: "It proposes that we establish a central bank and a Scottish financial authority during the transition to independence, with a view to them reporting to parliament every year and taking a decision in the first term of an independent Scotland for a Scottish currency to be established."

The SNP's Growth Commission report on the economics of an independent Scotland also recommended that Scotland should keep the pound during a transition period before moving to its own currency.

The report, which was published last year, suggested that this should only happen after six key economic tests were met - which it said was likely to take at least 10 years to achieve.

Literally making up our own currency, Bridges knew first

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I was previously not in favour of independence because I want more unity in Europe, not less, but as soon as Brexit happened, fuck it, I would rather Scotland be part of the EU than the UK. It's just a shame that certain other countries *cough Spain cough* would be unlikely to allow that to happen.
Stupid question from a dumb American.

Could you see Scotland and Northern Ireland declaring independence from the UK as well and creating a country with Ireland that wants to stay in the EU?

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Adopting the Euro is not a good idea for anyone. It's the worst part of the E.U. by a mile.

16bits

Apr 26, 2019
Wouldn't Scotland leave the eu with the uk and then have to apply for eu membership?

16bits

Apr 26, 2019

Could you see Scotland and Northern Ireland declaring independence from the UK as well and creating a country with Ireland that wants to stay in the EU?

Scotland, Northern Ireland and Ireland becoming one country?

I don't think that could ever happen due to the troubles..

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Oh my, imagine a world where Boris offers Sturgeon a Ref for voting with him to get no deal through

Epic move

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
Looking forward to the arguments that Unionists come up with this time.

Better Together because...oh

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't Scotland leave the eu with the uk and then have to apply for eu membership?

Yes, that's the correct legal way to proceed. We have to leave first with the UK, then vote to leave the UK, then reapply to the EU as an independent nation.

No, plus out of all the nations in the UK the Scottish people seem to be the only ones with some self-confidence to leave the UK and go it alone. We do have pretty decent natural resources as well in gas and oil, something that always helps a small population nation. Trade and export is pretty good too, as well as our renewables and tourism industries.

People want to go fuck about seeing the hills/countrysides/lochs of Scotland, then get pissed on whisky.

Northern Ireland and Ireland will probably never be unified again due to the religious wars.

Scotland is basically the Canada to England's America. The path England has been going down for a while resembles many of the paths America takes. The North wants nothing to do with the South. Free the North!

Last edited:

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You say that but Scotland has a dark underbelly of sectarianism. I wonder what the split on that is with yes/no ref vote.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You say that but Scotland has a dark underbelly of sectarianism. I wonder what the split on that is with yes/no ref vote.

Yes, we do, and a lot of that comes from the Unionists who are God and country. The Orange orders and so on that are as Unionist as it comes.

These gammons

Senior figures in the Orange Order have described Scottish nationalism as "a divisive and evil enemy".

Thousands of Orangemen held a "Proud to be British" rally in Edinburgh in support of the Union yesterday.

They gathered in the Meadows to hear speeches by grand masters and senior figures from around the UK, before setting off past some of Edinburgh's most famous landmarks including the former house of their inspiration John Knox and the General Assembly Hall where his statue stands.

They also passed the Scottish Parliament and the Palace of Holyroodhouse, as supporters lined the streets to cheer them on and cry "No" to Scottish independence.

He added: "Let me remind you that when an enemy came against the city of Londonderry, God's people famously said there will be no surrender to this evil enemy.

"It was a cry we made in 1914, it was a cry we made in 1939, it is a cry British people make every time we face an enemy who seek to destroy who and what we are, and a cry that we make on behalf of the underdog.

"Well, a divisive and evil enemy has arisen against Scotland in the guise of false patriotism and the nationalist referendum, against our beloved United Kingdom, and our reply as God's people this time is 'no separation'."

I'd almost back independence alone just to see these fuckers squirm.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Yes, we do, and a lot of that comes from the Unionists who are God and country. The Orange orders and so on that are as Unionist as it comes.

These gammons

I'd almost back independence alone just to see these fuckers squirm.
Still remember the police doing nothing when they spat on a priest during an orange walk. Later they wanted to do another march but the council made the route avoid Catholic churches, so the OO cancelled the march. Almost like they only march to intimidate and abuse Catholics.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still remember the police doing nothing when they spat on a priest during an orange walk. Later they wanted to do another march but the council made the route avoid Catholic churches, so the OO cancelled the march. Almost like they only march to intimidate and abuse Catholics.

That is literally all they exist to do.

I can be critical of a lot of Catholic institutes for other reasons, but the Orange orders stand alone as hate groups. I've never known a single person or friends parents/relatives who are part of an orange order who aren't a load of Catholic-hating tosspots.

But then again, my own Granda didn't go to his son's (my Dad, duh) wedding because his son didn't marry a Catholic.

I ain't got time for anyone's religious bullshit. It's certainly no way to run a country or look to the future either.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Spain would let them join the EU, but only if the UK acknowledges their independence and if Scotland goes through the accession process as if it were a new member, if memory serves well.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
That is literally all they exist to do.

I can be critical of a lot of Catholic institutes for other reasons, but the Orange orders stand alone as hate groups. I've never known a single person or friends parents/relatives who are part of an orange order who aren't a load of Catholic-hating tosspots.
Yup. The orange order is still pretty low key powerful, not that long ago Catholics were locked out of any position with power and actively discriminated against.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, that's the correct legal way to proceed. We have to leave first with the UK, then vote to leave the UK, then reapply to the EU as an independent nation.

No, plus out of all the nations in the UK the Scottish people seem to be the only ones with some self-confidence to leave the UK and go it alone. We do have pretty decent natural resources as well in gas and oil, something that always helps a small population nation. Trade and export is pretty good too, as well as our renewables and tourism industries.

People want to go fuck about seeing the hills/countrysides/lochs of Scotland, then get pissed on whisky.

Northern Ireland and Ireland will probably never be unified again due to the religious wars.

Scotland is basically the Canada to England's America. The path England has been going down for a while resembles many of the paths America takes. The North wants nothing to do with the South. Free the North!
Cool. Thanks. I thought Ireland wasn't really as religious anymore but some things are hard to let go

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
Spain would let them join the EU, but only if the UK acknowledges their independence and if Scotland goes through the accession process as if it were a new member, if memory serves well.
Most of the law is already harmonized. It would be a quick negotiation if there even was one. If Scotland were out by 2020 they could be in by 2024. The main questions they'd need to hash out would be budget contributions, Schengen, the Euro question, and what to do about pan-European policing and justice. Scotland has been operating under UK rules so it needs to be hashed out but I doubt it would take long.

Dunno I think the home counties get hard at that prospect.

Bojo is like a colonoscopy to them. It's necessary, and does helpful things for the people who need one, but nobody gets excited about it or enjoys it.

Zutroy

Oct 25, 2017
As a Scot currently living in England, say Indy did win, would I have to pick my nationality?

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
As a Scot currently living in England, say Indy did win, would I have to pick my nationality?
That's something that will be in the manifesto for Indy. I'd assume ruk would offer you citizenship and you'd automatically be a scottish citizen by birth too.

Edit - to be honest I expect we would have near open door policy for the Ruk, we have a demographic bombshell coming. We need all the working age people we can get.