• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 2, 2017
The owners of Scrabble have banned players from using "offensive" words, sparking a furious backlash from players who have accused the company of "virtue signalling".

The toy company Mattel, which owns the rights to the board game outside North America, has removed 400 derogatory terms from its official list of playable words.

Although Mattel has refused to publish the list, the game's official word checker reveals that it includes racial slurs against those of black, Pakistani and Irish origin.

However, David Webb, a British Scrabble grandmaster, accused Mattel of pandering to "wokeness".

Mr Webb told The Times: "Mattel are not responding to any demands or conflicts from within the Scrabble world, which is international, inclusive and friendly. Therefore its actions are seen by many as virtue signalling, making a token gesture or 'woke'."

The ruling – which follows a similar move by the American rights owner Hasbro – affects competition-level Scrabble, which is played by thousands of people at international tournaments.

Mattel's decision has also prompted three prominent members of the World English-Language Scrabble Players Association (Wespa) to resign in protest, arguing that playing a word was not insulting in itself.

Darryl Francis, a British author who has helped compile official Scrabble word lists for over 40 years, said he quit because Mattel's decision had been forced on players.

"Words listed in dictionaries and Scrabble lists are not slurs," he said. "They only become slurs when used with a derogatory purpose or intent, or used with a particular tone and in a particular context.

"Words in our familiar Scrabble word lists should not be removed because of a PR purpose disguised as promoting some kind of social betterment."

Mattel told The Times that its intervention, which is the first time it has sought to remove words, was a political decision in response to the Black Lives Matter protests in 2020.

Ray Adler, the global head of games, said: "We looked at some of the social unrest that's going on globally. We looked at everything we were doing as a company and opportunities to be more culturally relevant. I've heard the argument that these are just words, but we believe they have meaning.

www.telegraph.co.uk

War of words: Scrabble makers accused of 'wokeness' for banning 400 derogatory terms

Players claim toy company Mattel 'virtue signalling' after it removes 400 terms from official list of playable words

I mean if you can't play a game of scrabble without using racist terms then you sound a terrible scrabble player tbh.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
This just seems especially silly because, like...it's not like Mattel is gonna beat down your front door and arrest you if you use these words in a game with friends. It would only really matter in their officially sanctioned tournaments.

EinBear

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like a good move, but to be honest I never knew Scrabble even kept a list of 'official' words in the first place. House rules since I was a kid was that the word had to be in the Oxford Dictionary.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This just seems especially silly because, like...it's not like Mattel is gonna beat down your front door and arrest you if you use these words in a game with friends. It would only really matter in their officially sanctioned tournaments.
That seems to be their issue

The ruling – which follows a similar move by the American rights owner Hasbro – affects competition-level Scrabble, which is played by thousands of people at international tournaments

Trike

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Imagine crying over not being able that drop the n-bomb on a triple word score. I wonder what will happen if these people ever faced any real adversity

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I could name 400 offensive words.
But this is the shake up that the World Scrabbling Gymkhana needed after the dick spam of 2019

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
1485545506_image.jpg

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Next you're gonna tell me I have to let black monopoly players actually stay in my hotel on Boardwalk!

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Lol I'm trying to imagine a player explaining to their opponent why a slur against them isn't offensive because "I'm not talking about YOU, with this... Think of the points!"

And again, an entity has decided to change something to avoid backlash or address an issue and the "gowokegobroke" crowd is in the thick of it decrying wokeness and the ever-at-fault left.

I can't help but enjoy the impotent tears of people who can't stand racist shit going away.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
People use scrabble as an excuse to say shit?

This is like when a kid swears and giggles when they know their parents aren't within earshot.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
I mean if you can't play a game of scrabble without using racist terms then you sound a terrible scrabble player tbh.
If there is a high(er) scoring word there, that's what's going to be played.

Have you played Scrabble lol

Anywho, I remember they did this a few years ago as well. Am I having deja vu?

Mattel is doing the right thing, grandmasters be damned!

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoy the one dude being like,"if you find it in the dictionary it can't be a slur" when you can look up the actual definitions of such words described as slurs. I wonder what he thinks the definition of the n word is.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
Just imagine.

It's grand finals, you're losing but with one word you can take the championship and win 100K+. Yet the only word you can spell to take the prize is the hard N.
Then your realize that you put an R next to an AC with the hard R. And your opponent then puts down racist

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
There is like the thinnest layer of reasoning they could've used to say, defend the "sanctity of the language" or some bs. But they chose to call out wokeness lmao.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Virtue signalling?
Racists sure think they're clever at coming up with terms to justify racism.

Mr Spasiba

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, I guess writing words is the point of the game so it's kind of weird in a broad sense. But you can't really blame Hasbro and Mattel for not wanting people winning money for dropping n bombs at officially sponsored events for a board game. Arguing that slurs aren't slurs because they're in the dictionary and complaining about woke culture also doesn't make for a very compelling case.