• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
i never understood how whats allowed and what isn't is even determined. it wouldn't let me play "fuck"

but i see no need to be able to use racial slurs in the game.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, they are removing words like badass and boobies? In that case the Scrabble players have every reason to be annoyed. It's not just racist terms after all as the OP insinuates.
These words were already banned I believe
Also I believe Boobies is allowed but not Boobie by the list

Feb 16, 2018
i don't think people need to be allowed to make slurs, but it makes the gameplay worse when you have to memorize an additional 400 rules on top of the already absurd memorization requirements

comp scrabble is all about memorizing which 2 & 3 letter words are "real" words and which ones aren't, and there's so much fake stuff on those lists already

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I understand taking out the slurs and such, but a number of those words aren't really 'bad' other than being run of the mill obscenities. If the goal is to keep the list 'family friendly', then I guess that works - but if you're a pro level player then that just ends up being a lot of new words to try and remember to not use.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, they are removing words like badass and boobies? In that case the Scrabble players have every reason to be annoyed. It's not just racist terms after all as the OP insinuates.
Unless I'm misunderstanding the list Badass wasn't banned. Right? I'm confused.

Racial slurs can get lost but getting rid of badass would be dumb as hell.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
So mindfuck is banned but redskin is fine? As in, they explicitly said redskin is good enough and unbanned it, but mindfuck, numbnuts, arse should be banned. Sambo is also allowed...

valuv

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously?
i....I thought that was canuck, and that's the name of one of the hockey teams iirc....
Canuck refers to Canadians in general. Pepsi, from what I remember, was more popular than Coke in Quebec and because of that differentiator it eventually developed in to a slur. I could be wrong on the actual origin but that's what my family told me growing up.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
The same white folks who complain about not being able to use the N-word now can't even get a double word score on it.

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
The list is pretty weird. It includes a lot of very tame words (fart, effing) but fails to include some widely used clearly offensive ones (faggot, bitch, dyke, retard).

I guess, it's because those all have also a non-offensive meaning. I guess that's also why ho is acceptable (as in "Sail ho!") but the plural hos is not.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Look, the tournament organizer gets to set the rules for their tournament. If you want to play as Shin Akuma, go play at home.

Wait, what--Scrabble?

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hey Scrabble nerds, no part of your wordgame is protected speech, and "social justice" is a more worthwhile pursuit than the lifetime total you've spent putting letters in a line. Get some perspective and understand what does and doesn't matter in your lives.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I use to hate hearing "woke" but i appreacite it now, cause it instantly let me know who is a shit head

Oct 25, 2017
What a dumb thing to pitch a fit about.

The list of what words are acceptable and what words aren't was already arbitrary. Knowing which words are legal and which words aren't is a part of the game (and I assume incredibly important for high-level play). What difference does this make?

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Also, how is "gook" still acceptable?
Gook is also a headgear so they excused it. It is what makes the thread title so funny. Lots of clear derogatory terms aren't banned because there is another definition. Sure, redskin is also technically a subculture of communist skinheads. I'm sure the average player playing it means the slur. Instead, the ban seems to focus on swears.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Good on Mattel. Being accused of wokeness? More like getting with the times. Watch them try to cancel Scrabble.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Presumably Mattel has been deciding what words are valid in competitions since those started happening.
If this is the first time these people have thrown a fit over it, that tells you everything.

People who defend the use of racist slurs in a game, or have a problem with being unable to play them, to the point of quitting over it, should continue quitting all the things until they go away and live in exile in a cave somewhere.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i don't think people need to be allowed to make slurs, but it makes the gameplay worse when you have to memorize an additional 400 rules on top of the already absurd memorization requirements

comp scrabble is all about memorizing which 2 & 3 letter words are "real" words and which ones aren't, and there's so much fake stuff on those lists already
Pretty much this. I hate defending this, but it's true - you have these gigantic word lists memorized for the purpose of being able to play optimal scrabble. The players don't know what any of the words mean, just that they are playable words. Removing 400 of them can fuck up your game, I guess.
I don't think most normies are craving racism in Scrabble.
Source: I wanted to do this a decade ago, but realized how crazy it would be. I did memorize the 2-letter word list, though, but that's long gone.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
Never knew there was an official list. We just grabed the dictionary.

Oh this is Scrabble online? Makes more sense.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Bunch of fucking snowflakes. Getting angry cause they can't use slurs in competitive Scrabble.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Add in MalcolmX as a word so we can get that sweet triple letter bonus at the end.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
TIL Scrabble has its own Forbidden & Limited list.

And yeah, there's no excuse. Those words should not be a thing in a "professional" environment