• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Phire Phox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've luckily never experienced this, but I don't go to the movies that often and don't usually see family films in theaters.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
pcSpBeJ.gif

GatsGatsby

Oct 27, 2017
West Columbia, SC
Lmaaaaaao @ "waiting 20 years for this". Did you really say that? Movie was terrible btw. Probably the worst of the year.

Yes I did say that lol I was 6 when the first came out loved it had the little handheld game.

I even took the day off work to be at the 8pm Thursday night showing somehow bought it on Blu ray when it came out. It took a long time for the nostalgia hype to wear off it is pretty bad.

Deschain

User banned at own request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
what do you do? Personally I yell at the parent because just because you can tolerate that doesn't mean I need to. It's a movie theater. Keep your child in check. People pay to go to the movies not hear your annoying child.

I've never experienced this, but I generally don't go to the cinema before 8pm and my local cinemas don't allow kids in after 8pm.

Do you really yell at the parents? Why not just talk to the staff?

BlackAdder

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was going to make an over the top post about assaulting the offenders because I'm such a cinephile and my rights trump everyone else's but in reality, I just don't go to the theaters anymore.

Deleted member 3345

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Despite my strongests urges I realize I'm not an asshole and know that some people have on other recourse than to take their kids to the movies with them.

I will take some crying in the background whilst i fall asleep to thor: ragnarok. They can have some reprieve.

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
If I'm with the kids at an actually kids movie I don't mind. Most parents have been there st some point and can empathise haha.

I mind going to see Jurassic World at a late showing (like 10PM) and folk came in with babies which I found a bit inappropriate (for people there and the babies :p )

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I have never had this happen. If it were a kids movie, I would tolerate it, luckily I don't have kids so I don't have to worry about that. If it weren't strictly a kids movie, I'd tell a staff member. I would think most people have the courtesy that they'd step out with the crying child of their own accord, though.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
If I'm with the kids at an actually kids movie I don't mind. Most parents have been there st some point and can empathise haha.

I mind going to see Jurassic World at a late showing (like 10PM) and folk came in with babies which I found a bit inappropriate (for people there and the babies :p )

I don't take my kids anywhere past 8pm. It's inexcusable to have young children at a freaking 10pm showing. Good theatres would tell those parents to come back at another time.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I don't take my kids anywhere past 8pm. It's inexcusable to have young children at a freaking 10pm showing. Good theatres would tell those parents to come back at another time.

Agreed completely. I'm kinda shocked parents can be so fucking selfish they put their desire to go out and have a good time over their kid's need to get a good quality night sleep. Some shit I just can't do right now having a toddler and taking her out to public spots at 10pm is one of them.

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017

Yeah that's only time I've actually seen people bring their kid in when it wasn't a kids movie.

Definitely agree though. Very inappropriate at that time. No idea why staff let them in. I'm not really judgmental of other parents but that was the one time I've been like "what are you doing you utter melons."

Remy

Oct 25, 2017
I go and tell on them. Get all of them removed. Whole family if need be. Im over here paying for Dolby, 3D IMAX or whatever its called...nobody trying to hear these loud ass kids.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
I'm more annoyed by people looking at their phones. Not sure what kind of theaters you visit, but at my local ones parents always get up and leave if their kids goes bonkers. Only seen it happen a few times and they've always excused themselves.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
If you can, the best time to see a movie is during the weekday and the earliest showing. Practically have the theater to yourself and kids are in school or at daycare. It's peaceful.

Oct 28, 2017
When they're in the row in front of you it's distracting as shit. Especially when folks have their watch on full brightness and hold it up like a jerk.
But most of the watch faces look like this. And only the non-black pixels are emitting light. The photo background watch faces would be annoying, but that watch face is terrible and almost nobody uses it.

multicolor-modular-apple-watch-face.jpg

Rebetherick

Oct 26, 2017
Think I've only had this once and the parent went out with the child pretty much immediately so didn't bother me. Just avoid Saturday morning showings.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
But most of the watch faces look like this. And only the non-black pixels are emitting light. The photo background watch faces would be annoying, but that watch face is terrible and almost nobody uses it.

I mean I know what an apple watch looks like I wear mine every day. And those watch faces vary. And what's on screen varies. And it's still distracting when someone is fiddling with their shit during a movie. The movie light doesn't magically block that shit out. Same for phones.

OP
OP
BarryAllen

BarryAllen

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This. The fuck is yelling at the parent going to do? At best it's gonna just annoy everyone around you at worse you're going to deal with escalating an already shitty situation.

Other alternative is get up and go get a staff member and get THEM to deal with the disturbing party.
No because everyone else claps after you do it because they were too scared to

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
You were a crying kid too at one point.

That said I agree that young kids should be taken to movies at the right time and place to avoid disturbing people like yourself. But if it's a family movie like Moana or Coco you should expect to be surrounded by kids in the audience.

Obviously. Kids are going to cry, parents are the real culprits but that doesn't stop me from not liking kids. Also it's common sense to expect kids at a kids movie. It would be insane of me complaining about that. We would be taking about an adult movie with kids being annoying there

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
I mean I know what an apple watch looks like I wear mine every day. And those watch faces vary. And what's on screen varies. And it's still distracting when someone is fiddling with their shit during a movie. The movie light doesn't magically block that shit out. Same for phones.
I guess my point is that it's more on you for looking at it than on them. I get it with phones since they are blasting light at you whether you look at it or not.

jjreamPop

Oct 25, 2017
Lately I've seen parents taking responsibility and removing their kids if they act up. But I like seeing Pixar/Disney movies and when kids are being kids in those I don't mind much. It's never as annoying as adults being inconsiderate fucks.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Children at least do understand when you tell them to be quiet. Adults fucking with their phones and babies crying are the worst.

Why do people keep bringing babies to movie theaters? Either find someone who can look over your baby for a couple of hours or im sorry but you don't go to the theater. Wait for it to come out for rent.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I guess my point is that it's more on you for looking at it than on them. I get it with phones since they are blasting light at you whether you look at it or not.

My point is if someone is holding a phone or watch up it's in the line of sight of someone trying to watch the movie. If I were hunching over trying to see what they're doing on their watch you'd have a point. Remember not all movies are deep stadium seating. Some are positioned where it's very easy to see shit like other folks electronic devices even though they don't want to.

I've seen people try to text from their watch and held it up or some jerk literally on speaking phone on their watch whispering into it. Distracting all the same. I think the normal movie etiquette rules apply: Keep your electronic devices away and muted during the showing.

Oct 27, 2017
It's so loud that it should potentially demage the, childs hearing capability. If the parent is aware of that and keeps them there I don't know what else it could be but child abuse. -> Go to a theatre that hasn't a super loud sound system.

Ohhh, yeah some are definitely too loud for young kids.

Im the type to just not bring my kids. You sacrifice some things when you have young kids, going to the movies without a sitter is one of those things. No biggie.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
During Blade Runner 2049 some dickhole had his smart watch on the whole time, and he kept raising his arms up to yawn like every 5-10 minutes. Was super irritating to see a white light coming into my field of vision when I'm trying to get immersed in the film.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Ohhh, yeah some are definitely too loud for young kids.

Im the type to just not bring my kids. You sacrifice some things when you have young kids, going to the movies without a sitter is one of those things. No biggie.

You definitely have to sacrifice some things when you have young children. But on the occasion that you do have someone to watch them it's special.

I'm getting a sitter to watch my two kids for The Last Jedi and I am looking forward to it to an almost insane degree. I have a really, really good feeling about it, similar to how I felt about the Fellowship of the Ring. I'm probably dooming myself to disappointment, but I have my fingers crossed.

Outlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I took my daughter to Legoland when she was 3 and she started freaking out during the 4D theater due to all the spooky stuff popping out. We immediately walked out, I didn't want to ruin everyone else's experience.

Unfortunately, some people don't give a fuck and let their kids cry up a storm. I only go to theaters like Alamo Drafthouse who have a zero tolerance policy for noise complaints.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
One time back when I had a job at a theater as a teenager, I was working the shift as an usher and had a couple people come out and get ahold of me. They told me that there was a crying baby in the auditorium and it had been crying for quite a while. I pulled a coworker aside to go with me as backup and we followed the patrons back to the auditorium. We entered and immediately heard the incredibly loud wailing of a baby coming from the last row, in the top corner of the auditorium. So we began marching of the steps towards the corner, only for the people sitting there to get up and leave, saying "We know, we know..."
I glanced at the baby that a teenager was holding as they rushed past only to see that it wasn't a baby at all; it was a fake baby issued by a parenting or child development class from a local high school, the ones that record if they are shaken or how long you let them cry before sticking a key in their back and holding it there for five minutes. Apparently they had not brought the key with them and decided to just let it cry for the whole movie once it 'woke up.'

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll never understand why people think it's a great idea to bring babies to see a movie. Get a baby sitter or don't go at all. Whole point in seeing a movie is for entertainment. Not distractions.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Experienced this a few nights ago when I went to see Thor. I almost talked with an employee to have it taken care of, but the Mother did a good job hushing up the child for the entire film after that first incident.

GUTS

Oct 26, 2017
This is why I tend to avoid watching cartoon movies in cinema. I can't stand loud noises in cinema let alone children screaming and crying.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Never a problem for me, but I mostly watch films in the childless wonderland of Manhattan.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
I don't take my baby to the movies, nor should any parent. If you complain about my crying baby in a plane though then fuck you, you should have gotten a private jet.

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that's only time I've actually seen people bring their kid in when it wasn't a kids movie.

Definitely agree though. Very inappropriate at that time. No idea why staff let them in. I'm not really judgmental of other parents but that was the one time I've been like "what are you doing you utter melons."
I go to midnight shows just to avoid this, and once at 12:30 I walk in to see a big family with 5 kids (no older than 6 with two infants). I still can't believe that.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Never once experienced this. People in the UK don't seem to take their kids to movie screenings except obvious kids films that no adult would go see.

Deleted member 17630

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the past I would go get an usher. Luckily I live close enough to a Drafthouse so I never experience this anymore.

potato

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Babies do not belong in a theater. Defeating speakers can damage the poor kids hearing, and the bright lights in dark areas can't be good for their eyes.

Plus, it's downright inconsiderate of others as they cry.

Find a sitter, or wait for it to get on Redbox.

My experience with this is for the horror movie, The Conjuring. This movie was terrifying and I heard a baby crying. How the hell did you justify that as a parent?