• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Bring duck tape to the theater

I don't think I've ever dealt with kids crying during a movie before without their parents being decent and leaving

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I go to Alamo where babies are pretty much not allowed except at special showings. If there are otherwise noisy people--to a reasonable extent, of course--talking during the film or some shit (mostly happens with old people who don't know how to whisper or teens), I just put up an order card to complain. They get one warning, then if they keep it up I put up another card and they get kicked out. I have zero qualms about getting people kicked out from the theater because fuck you I'm not paying to hear your inane prattle.

BAN PUNCHER

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
GONTlbT.gif

Oct 28, 2017
My point is if someone is holding a phone or watch up it's in the line of sight of someone trying to watch the movie. If I were hunching over trying to see what they're doing on their watch you'd have a point. Remember not all movies are deep stadium seating. Some are positioned where it's very easy to see shit like other folks electronic devices even though they don't want to.

I've seen people try to text from their watch and held it up or some jerk literally on speaking phone on their watch whispering into it. Distracting all the same. I think the normal movie etiquette rules apply: Keep your electronic devices away and muted during the showing.
Speaking into a watch is definitely rude, but I can't see how one would hold their watch up like a phone. Who raises their watch up to their face just to look at their watch?

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, if you're a parent on here that does this. Stop. No one wants to hear your fucking screaming kids.

Crimson-Death

Oct 27, 2017
Purgatory
I mean I kinda feel bad for the parents that can't afford to hire a babysitter or are too stupid to understand that you don't bring screaming children to ruin everyone else's paid movie experience. How oblivious in life do you have to be? Yet a lot of people are inconsiderate, entitled, stupid assholes.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Speaking into a watch is definitely rude, but I can't see how one would hold their watch up like a phone. Who raises their watch up to their face just to look at their watch?

I mean at this point you're saying you don't believe what I've seen so we're kind of at an impasse in our discourse. All I can do is reiterate is I've seen people hold their wrist up to eye level and use their watch during movies. And it was annoying.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
This happens to me if i go to any movie before 10PM.
Between this and obnoxious people I can't wait for theatre releases to come straight to your home

Thunder11

Oct 27, 2017
It's rude to bring a crying baby or stay there with a crying kid, period. I would definitely tell staff or get a refund.

Hamoody

Oct 25, 2017
No joke, once a mother decided to bring four of her children (three were under 12 and one was an infant) to Alien Covenant..

Like what the fuck?

Hamoody

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind babies and children in theaters, but please, if isn't a children movie and your child is screaming or crying, is better to leave the place.

Actually this happened to me watching Blade Runner 2049, and it was annoying.

Had these two guys laughing their asses off during the
Tears in the snow scene at the end

Never been so pissed in my entire life while watching a movie.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
I've had a few bad experiences like that, but they never escalated to the point where I had to do anything. I've had a few other situations with annoying people in theaters—talking, etc.—where I gave them a dirty look or said something. I guess I'd talk to the management if things escalated beyond that.

At this point, I only go to a movie theater a handful of times a year, and when I do it's to some expensive-ass theater where you sit in a recliner and get served by a waiter. Those are either actually adult-only, or the kind of thing people don't bring kids to.

Deleted member 19782

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This has happened to me many times, but yesterday while watching Thor Ragnarok a kid wouldn't shut up and kept crying for like a solid minute at full volume while the movie was just starting. Thank god their parents took it out; people were getting pretty upset.

Realeza

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is understandable when I see a movie like Zootopia. It fucking pissed me off when some idiots brought the baby to Rogue One and he wouldn't stop screaming. They had to leave after 20 minutes, but it was still annoying.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
Forget crying babies and kids. At Thor: Ragnarok on Friday night, I had to tell four fucking old people to shut the fuck up, because they kept constantly talking. Grown ass old fucking people. For fuck's sake.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Start yelling and crying yourself, so the baby can realize how annoying it is to be on the receiving end of it, and decides to stop.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Obviously the solution is to come up with Mandrake Theaters.

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I don't know if I've ever experienced this. I know I'd have a hard time focusing if it happened, and wouldn't be able to enjoy the movie, but don't think I could ever yell at anyone or make a scene. I'd probably just go out and ask for a refund.

There was one movie I went to where a guy kept making louder sounds during the movie, but I didn't say anything. It was distracting, but I believe he was handicapped and I respected that so I just tried to ignore it. I think it was the first time I went to see Baby Driver.

Christor

Oct 25, 2017
Had this happen to me during Resident Evil 2 movie. Who the hell brings a baby to a scary movie like that? Of course the baby is gonna cry to it.
Complained, they gave me a free meal and ticket for my troubles

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on the film (rating/genre), time of day... but honestly, in general, I can find it annoying if its EXCESSIVE. Like if the parent isn't even acknowledging that their child is actively making a bunch of noise.

Stop bringing your children to R-rated movies... please.

LDNStateOfMind

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
As a Brit I find it bonkers you can take kids into 18/ r rated films. To be fair I would have loved it as a kid.

I take it there's no plans or no big shout to get this changed?

Klotera

Oct 27, 2017
I generally only go to Alamo Drafthouse where this is not an issue. Really the only way to go.

The few times I ever try a "normal" theater, I almost always end up regretting it. We saw Logan at an AMC because we had gift cards and the person behind us brought young kids, which already isn't appropriate for the content. Worse, the kids were running back and forth behind our seats. Oh, and sneezing right above our heads... Great, I can get sick now, too. My wife passive aggressively said to me (loud enough to make sure they heard it) "Let's just move seats". We didn't move seats.....

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
This is understandable when I see a movie like Zootopia. It fucking pissed me off when some idiots brought the baby to Rogue One and he wouldn't stop screaming. They had to leave after 20 minutes, but it was still annoying.

Absolutely not. I don't care if it's a kids movie or an R rated movie. Babies do not belong in theaters period. They can't understand what's going, plus it's probably bad for ears to be a loud theater. Get a damn baby sitter!

kaytee

Oct 28, 2017
USA
As a Brit I find it bonkers you can take kids into 18/ r rated films. To be fair I would have loved it as a kid.

I take it there's no plans or no big shout to get this changed?

I used to work in a large movie theater in the US, and it was really rare for people to bring actual kids into R rated movies. It was more common for parents to bring an underage teen with them than a kid.

But no, no one's trying to pass a law or anything. Parents get to pick what their kids do, and if they're crying you can just get a theater employee to kick them out.

Also PSA: if someone's talking, checking their phone, or even if the sound is too loud or quiet in the theater — TELL SOMEONE. Just get an usher or go to the customer service desk. I can't believe how often people sit through uncomfortable crap for two hours when it could've been fixed. Especially if there's something wrong with the projector or sound. I used to give free passes to people who came out and told me just because they missed a few minutes of the movie.

JC Lately

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind babies and children in theaters, but please, if isn't a children movie and your child is screaming or crying, is better to leave the place.

Actually this happened to me watching Blade Runner 2049, and it was annoying.

Had this happen when I went to see House of Wax. Poor kid was in tears.

littleworm

Oct 25, 2017
Can't remember every having problem kids or hell people period in movies. Though in college, I went with my roommates and some of their friends to see Frozen. One of the people I went with made a snarky comment after one of the plot twists and laughed about it, a kid told him to shut up. It was really hard not to laugh at that.

Reversed

Oct 25, 2017
I've never tried the money refund, and I doubt that would work fine in here (though I have got a popcorn refill when I clumsily dropped my box).

I've shushed them and what most parents have done is to take the crying toddler outside. I'm good with that.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
The movies I go to aren't usually for kids so I never had this problem

Iorv3th

Oct 27, 2017
Go in the evening when the babies are asleep

I went to a 8 or 9pm showing of Logan and there was a family that brought their kids. One was like 3 years old and screaming and asking questions the entire time.

I complained and must have been a fair few amount of other people complaining too because the theater changed their policies and wont let kids that young into the theater after a certain time now.

daboynem

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Dude you yell at them? You get mad too easy I feel like chilling a little bit won't hurt.