• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I've made enough pre-rendered background threads so how about an appreciation for screenshots of various areas within Phantasy Star Online episodes composed in a way that may invoke some PRB vibes. Images all taken from a phantasystaronline.net post of various imgur galleries.

- Pioneer 2 -

RpkanUe.png

1um7uF8.png

G4Dkg6N.png

- Forest -

xDi4nXy.png

Ow1bUJA.png

C9ri5am.png

7TTan6K.png

- Caves -

sNoGltX.png

phiZwty.png

pNs4682.png

Lo643Cu.jpg

0mLHLn3.jpg

x2dudBJ.png

- Mines -

apUu8Fs.png

7NqlWPj.png

9n89bAS.png

qQjEbJ6.png

jolKK2I.png

T5Q10dV.png

- Ruins -

uNb28ML.png

r0x66SO.png

3sbpkES.png

Lfbzyqv.png

- Temple -

LnMkDm0.png

z8zGsbQ.png

QoMeGnN.png

LABskdQ.png

k6dBgRx.png

Wc85mmy.png

- Spaceship -

zgnj8zR.png

RY2xRN3.png

dlJc3Vh.png

RwyV5M9.png

LwM6QC8.png

- Central Control Area & Mountain -

cnyywRT.png

Yvdoed2.png

9b3I8U8.png

BharFUN.png

O2Ahc58.png

LvgNE7K.png

- Seaside & Seabed -

XEXO6vX.jpg

yXfNVHb.png

Q1DUaUw.png

WxOt8uK.png

Qjub7aD.png

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The atmosphere in all of these is sublime.

The Pioneer 2 video above makes me want to go shopping.

Sep 28, 2018
When PSO came out, I had enough pocket money saved to buy one game and I was torn between PSO and Skies of Arcadia - rightfully so, they are two of my favourite games to this day.

I went with PSO, the included demo disk for Sonic Adventure 2 swung it for me... I played PSO for a while, but at that time my DC was not connected to the internet, so at first, I kinda regretted buying PSO above Skies of Arcadia, which could've been enjoyed to it's fullest offline.

However, a few months later I got my DC connected with our 56k modem and basically decommissioned my parents home phone landline for an entire summer holiday. To this day I have not played a single game for more hours than I played PSO... I probably sunk thousands of hours into it with no regrets. I bought PSO Ver.2 Then PSO Episode 1 & 2 on Gamecube and on Xbox... And finally Blue Burst on PC.

When I see these lovely environments I can basically hear them too, I am whisked back to a fantastic time in my life. So, thanks! :)

Sidenote: I bought Skies of Arcadia on DC as soon as I had enough pocket money saved and it is now a prized possession of mine.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
This screenshot more than any other gets me misty eyed, not only for the memory of spending an entire day working through Ruins to finally beat Dark Falz, but more because this was the area where everyone gathered together during the final hour of Phantasy Star Universe's online service to say goodbye. Sadly I never could play PSO online back in the day (thanks for making your Broadband Adapter impossible to buy in the UK, Nintendo) so I missed half the experience, but even then it was still a fantastic game and the split screen was cool too.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Forever one of the best games ever. PSO shaped my taste in games, and yet there hasn't been something on par since.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
I love this game so much. God damn.

Perfect representation of the "blue skies in gaming" aesthetic SEGA and the Dreamcast did oh so very well.

FreeMufasa

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
No game will ever evoke such a reaction from me as PSO.

I'd literally be done with gaming and play nothing but this if it were rereleased.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Up there as one of my favourite games of all time. They tried with PSU and PSO2 (moreso with the latter than the former...) but neither of them comes close to PSO1.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
ps. OP we best friends now
Apparently today is the day I die of nostalgia, thanks @signal .
✊

When PSO came out, I had enough pocket money saved to buy one game and I was torn between PSO and Skies of Arcadia - rightfully so, they are two of my favourite games to this day.

I went with PSO, the included demo disk for Sonic Adventure 2 swung it for me... I played PSO for a while, but at that time my DC was not connected to the internet, so at first, I kinda regretted buying PSO above Skies of Arcadia, which could've been enjoyed to it's fullest offline.

However, a few months later I got my DC connected with our 56k modem and basically decommissioned my parents home phone landline for an entire summer holiday. To this day I have not played a single game for more hours than I played PSO... I probably sunk thousands of hours into it with no regrets. I bought PSO Ver.2 Then PSO Episode 1 & 2 on Gamecube and on Xbox... And finally Blue Burst on PC.

When I see these lovely environments I can basically hear them too, I am whisked back to a fantastic time in my life. So, thanks! :)

Sidenote: I bought Skies of Arcadia on DC as soon as I had enough pocket money saved and it is now a prized possession of mine.
I put quite a bit of time into the online play until someone just gameshark dropped me every weapon and the desire to grind was gone lol.

Up there as one of my favourite games of all time. They tried with PSU and PSO2 (moreso with the latter than the former...) but neither of them comes close to PSO1.
PSO2 is such a disgrace to the franchise.. It hurts so much
While it's evolved quite a bit since launch I still think there are great parts of PSO2. The forest in PSO2 gives me the same feeling minus some nostalgia as PSO1 at least.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
I never played PSO, but this makes me miss PSU. Hopefully PSO2 ends up with English EU servers.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
The thread would have helped me when i had to do some PSO art, but i choose Pioneer 2 in the end cause it was difficult to find clear pics of landscapes

dcj031q-2099a669-96a0-4ba2-bdc6-9af3c3f3646e.jpg

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
✊

I put quite a bit of time into the online play until someone just gameshark dropped me every weapon and the desire to grind was gone lol.

While it's evolved quite a bit since launch I still think there are great parts of PSO2. The forest in PSO2 gives me the same feeling minus some nostalgia as PSO1 at least.
There's so much potential. They could literally just copy the battle mechanics to a PSO3 and build a solid world around it that isnt randomly generated and actual agressive enemies and it would be a perfect experience. I cant understand how PSO1 never felt repetitive or recognizable at some point. There were a couple of variants of the mazy ruins but I never felt like I always just knew where to go straight even after so many times. I think there's people who did but they were few. PSO2 randomization was supposed to make it feel more fresh but it did the exact opposite

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
I'm excited for the US release. Hows PSO 3 for the GC? I bought a copy of that recently since I saw it in person and got tempted. I realize it has a card battling system...

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
There's so much potential. They could literally just copy the battle mechanics to a PSO3 and build a solid world around it that isnt randomly generated and actual agressive enemies and it would be a perfect experience. I cant understand how PSO1 never felt repetitive or recognizable at some point. There were a couple of variants of the mazy ruins but I never felt like I always just knew where to go straight even after so many times. I think there's people who did but they were few. PSO2 randomization was supposed to make it feel more fresh but it did the exact opposite
Do you mean copy the mechanics from PSO1? The game feels a bit slow to me when I try to play it currently. Recent PSO2 is on the other end of the spectrum but somewhere in between would be good. Vanilla PSO2 style maybe.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017

The big problem with PSO2's areas isn't the randomization per se, but the lack of doors. Whereas you had to engage with enemies in each room in PSO, you are free to run off wherever in PSO2. Of course enemies being straight-up fodder doesn't help, but this wasn't the case early into the game as classes were a lot slower and weaker than they are now. Enemies actually posed a threat in the early days of PSO2, as hard as that is to believe. Not like that mattered though when you could just run straight to the boss room.

But the game does a lot of things poorly particularly when compared to its predecessor. Art direction, visual design and audio design are just not on par, not even close. Those are the things that make PSO timeless to me, and in PSO2 they are just not present. Furthermore, the tone of the writing is laughable, and the costume design panders to pedophiles deliberately.

Perhaps most importantly, the gameplay loop is insanely fucked. EQs started out as a novel idea that ruined people's drive to run anything else once they were turned into quests with better drops and drop rates than anything else. There was a time where running five or more different areas actually was viable, compared to only running the newest quest available like people do now. And rare drops? Remember finding that super cool weapon in PSO exclusive to your ID and a given difficulty setting? Well, fuck that too, because your insanely rare drop is a trash drop in the next difficulty setting now! You never feel happy finding a rare weapon in PSO2, because you know it won't be rare two months from now.

I could really run my mouth forever, but PSO2 is trash. PSU was infinitely better, as it was a game that may have been limited by budget, but that at least had heart. And you could feel that.

This game is not a looker.

This game is from the year 2000.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Played it so much on Gamecube and even bought the online adapter for it. I think I always used the trial or something like that to play online at all lol

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
But the game does a lot of things poorly particularly when compared to its predecessor. Art direction, visual design and audio design are just not on par, not even close. Those are the things that make PSO timeless to me, and in PSO2 they are just not present. Furthermore, the tone of the writing is laughable, and the costume design panders to pedophiles deliberately.
Visuals are hit or miss for me. I like most of the areas and lobbies and stuff but characters and enemies are ugmo.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
Christ, that Forest theme is sooooooooo potent.

I don't think the areas added in Episode 1&2 meshed super well with the originals, but still. What a delight this game was.

Armite

Mar 30, 2018
Oof, those Pioneer 2 shots are so great...

I wiiiiiiiiiiish wish wish PSO2 was more like the original. I suppose it may not have been as popular though.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Loved the first on Dreamcast - but these images seem to be from that game??

Surely they are not from the upcoming pso??

Oct 25, 2017
I remember entering forest on Ultimate difficulty for the first time and getting that lovely evening sky. I need to do a tour of episode 2 soon. I hooked up the GameCube and did a run through of episode one recently. Still love the game.

port the game to switch Sega!

DanteRavenkin

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
PSO is still my second favorite online experience (next to Final Fantasy XI) and seeing these shots makes me miss it so much. I really hope the English release of PSO2 next year captures some of that same magic.

Bigmac

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Ahh I miss this game. Tried going back to it not too long ago via the online pc servers, but it feels a bit archaic now. Going to just keep it preserved in my memory as something special and wait for PSO 2!

Love the shots/ gifs here, takes me back!

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I must have spent like 1000 hours on this game (gamecube) between all my characters, multiplayers and savefiles corrupting, looking at this makes me want to replay again.
A shame PSO2 couldn't capture the amazing atmosphere of the first.