• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
Hi everyone! Don't have the time to make a big, fancy OP but this is your home for all things screenwriting! This is a great place for established and budding screenwriters alike to share their experiences and advice on everything from writing your first page to selling your first script. Come hang!

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Great! What projects are yall working on?

I've been working on a "continuation" of a story I started back in 2008. Trying to get back to my roots in term of the process I take, which is a slow one. But slowly, the same feeling is coming back that I used to have while writing.

OP
OP
kai3345

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
Working on a couple things. I pitched a show to the company I work for that ended up getting passed on, so I'm moving on to trying to develop a couple of things at the same time right now and see which one sticks.

TriniTrin

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
watching this thread!

Just started trying to do more skit based filming so I am learning to do some Screenwriting for them. I am currently working on a halloween short where we review some pumpkin beers and have a back drop of a killer who hates pumpkin beers taking us out one by one at the end. Should be interesting!

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
is that part of the cc suite? I cannot seem to find it on there so probably not...

it is! sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

There is a cloud based service with it and a desktop install you can do with it. Either you use I guess is based on prefrence for that situation. Like for my laptop, I just use web based.

Hey everyone! I lurked in this thread on the other site for the past year or so but I'll probably be more active here.

I'm using Final Draft right now. Is Adobe Story better?

I haven't used Final Draft since I was on windows 7. When I upgraded to windows 10, it never would work for me. So I wouldn't be able to say if its better or not, because I don't know the current state of FD. But, with adobe story you can use it for cloud editing/sharing, keep all your scripts organized pretty well. There was a learning curve in terms of writing quickly too, like key shortcuts, etc.

Scrobbles

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, gotcha. Final Draft has served me well so far but if I run into any issues I'll check it out.

TriniTrin

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Since I am new, I have been watching screenplays to get an idea of how to write them. I found this video pretty useful as a beginner!

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Subbed!

Enjoyed the other thread over there.

Anyway, working on a new feature and getting some interesting sideways traction on a TV project I've been collaborating on for a while.

Oh, and I'm a Final Draft guy.

HiResDes

Oct 25, 2017
I've been writing for a while yet never posted in this thread. Seems like a good time to join. I mostly use word and just try to format it myself, is this a bad approach?

OP
OP
kai3345

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, yeah. I'd download a free software like Celtx. It auto formats everything for you. I've heard from a lot of writers that submitting a script is a lot like submitting a resume. If your formatting is off (even a bit) and as a result confusing, often times someone reading it might just pass on it right there

tjac

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a film making thread? I couldn't find one. We could probably combine them both since the two threads on gaf were never really that busy.

Blind

Oct 25, 2017
I never posted in the old thread but did poke my head in from time to time. New forum, new beginnings though, so I wanted to say, "hey!"

To give you a quick rundown of who I am since I'm a stranger to this community --
I began screenwriting and short filmmaking in high school, went to college for film, worked as a producer/director/editor for a TV show, and pivoted back to screenwriting about 6 years ago. Since then, I've written 6 features (2 are optioned but currently unproduced), 4 pilots, and was hired earlier this year with my writing partner to write an episode of a recently-premiered Netflix series.

Every day feels like I'm inching closer to a dream I've had since I saw Jurassic Park when I was a kid and had my mind blown. I'd love to share whatever insight I may have into this whole crazy process that is screenwriting in an effort to maybe help some others realize their dreams as well.

To be more on topic --
I never actually read Save the Cat, but I religiously use Blake Snyder's Beat Sheet formatting for breaking all of my stories. I used to write on Final Draft until a friend turned me on to Fade In Professional.

Anyway, thanks everyone for having me!

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
I never posted in the old thread but did poke my head in from time to time. New forum, new beginnings though, so I wanted to say, "hey!"

To give you a quick rundown of who I am since I'm a stranger to this community --
I began screenwriting and short filmmaking in high school, went to college for film, worked as a producer/director/editor for a TV show, and pivoted back to screenwriting about 6 years ago. Since then, I've written 6 features (2 are optioned but currently unproduced), 4 pilots, and was hired earlier this year with my writing partner to write an episode of a recently-premiered Netflix series.

Every day feels like I'm inching closer to a dream I've had since I saw Jurassic Park when I was a kid and had my mind blown. I'd love to share whatever insight I may have into this whole crazy process that is screenwriting in an effort to maybe help some others realize their dreams as well.

To be more on topic --
I never actually read Save the Cat, but I religiously use Blake Snyder's Beat Sheet formatting for breaking all of my stories. I used to write on Final Draft until a friend turned me on to Fade In Professional.

Anyway, thanks everyone for having me!

Glad to have you here and a major congrats on following your dream and landing your opportunities! Have you ever dealt with motivation issues? As someone with ADHD, I struggle a lot with finishing my screenplays, as my mind is all over the place. I'm working towards medication soon (Which should help a lot), but what are your tips for motivation and staying focused on finishing your work?

Blind

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to have you here and a major congrats on following your dream and landing your opportunities! Have you ever dealt with motivation issues? As someone with ADHD, I struggle a lot with finishing my screenplays, as my mind is all over the place. I'm working towards medication soon (Which should help a lot), but what are your tips for motivation and staying focused on finishing your work?

Thanks! Sorry, I ducked out as soon as I hit post (thanks MoviePass).

Honestly, I deal with motivation issues probably every day. Some writers like to block out a specific time during the day just for writing, but that never really worked for me. It's easy for me to get distracted with everything else going on around me and in the world. And just because I set aside a block of time doesn't guarantee that I won't STILL be staring at a blank page and blinking cursor an hour (or four) later. I really have to be in the mood though, creatively speaking, and that "mood" fuels the work.

Knowing that about myself, I've tried to implement different little tactics to spark creativity, because I do recommend trying to write *something* every day. Even if it's terrible, because at least it's something that you can improve upon tomorrow.

I like to impose deadlines on myself, albeit arbitrary in most cases. Telling myself things like "I have to finish the outline by the end of the week," or "I'll only hop on Destiny 2 after I finish this monologue" help me stick to a semblance of a writing schedule.

I also like to tell other people about what I'm working on... as long as I'm not contractually obligated to secrecy, of course, like was the case a couple of times. If I'm working on a spec, I'll say to a family member or a friend, "Hey, I've been working on this new idea. It's about X doing Y until Z happens. I think I'll have the broad strokes of the story figured out in a week." So now there's a deadline and somebody who I can be accountable to, and I find that that added bit of pressure keeps me focused as well. I can also gauge how interesting/exciting an idea is based on that person's reaction.

Research. I do a lot of it. I like to know as much as possible about the city, culture, or subject matter I'm writing about. I attempt to become an "expert" on those topics for the period of time that I'm working on the project. "They" always say to write what you know, well, that's absolutely true in my experience, and the more I know about my story the easy it is to write.

But I also totally believe that watching TV shows and movies count as research! I think it's a great reminder about what it is we're trying to accomplish with screenwriting -- we're trying to make art that entertains and/or elicits some kind of emotional response from the reader/audience, and "studying" how others have done it can spark new ideas and inspirations about the project that I'm working on.

It's like how some people browse the gaming side of the forum more than they actually play games, right? You can get so caught up in the discussion, nuances, techniques, and criticisms that you begin to lose touch with what the game is trying to accomplish -- it's supposed to be fun to play and potentially evoke some kind of reaction from the player with its characters, stories, and worlds. I look at movies/TV the same way as a writer.

I'm also into free association writing, which has helped with writer's block, especially when I'm trying to find the voice of a character. Being able to just "talk" as them, ramble on the page about their mother, boyfriend, career, fears, future, etc. has really helped me in the past when breaking a character and their story, because once I can "hear" them, once I know who they are (their motivations), then I can have them say or do anything needed within the context of the story.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks! Sorry, I ducked out as soon as I hit post (thanks MoviePass).

Honestly, I deal with motivation issues probably every day. Some writers like to block out a specific time during the day just for writing, but that never really worked for me. It's easy for me to get distracted with everything else going on around me and in the world. And just because I set aside a block of time doesn't guarantee that I won't STILL be staring at a blank page and blinking cursor an hour (or four) later. I really have to be in the mood though, creatively speaking, and that "mood" fuels the work.

Knowing that about myself, I've tried to implement different little tactics to spark creativity, because I do recommend trying to write *something* every day. Even if it's terrible, because at least it's something that you can improve upon tomorrow.

I like to impose deadlines on myself, albeit arbitrary in most cases. Telling myself things like "I have to finish the outline by the end of the week," or "I'll only hop on Destiny 2 after I finish this monologue" help me stick to a semblance of a writing schedule.

I also like to tell other people about what I'm working on... as long as I'm not contractually obligated to secrecy, of course, like was the case a couple of times. If I'm working on a spec, I'll say to a family member or a friend, "Hey, I've been working on this new idea. It's about X doing Y until Z happens. I think I'll have the broad strokes of the story figured out in a week." So now there's a deadline and somebody who I can be accountable to, and I find that that added bit of pressure keeps me focused as well. I can also gauge how interesting/exciting an idea is based on that person's reaction.

Research. I do a lot of it. I like to know as much as possible about the city, culture, or subject matter I'm writing about. I attempt to become an "expert" on those topics for the period of time that I'm working on the project. "They" always say to write what you know, well, that's absolutely true in my experience, and the more I know about my story the easy it is to write.

But I also totally believe that watching TV shows and movies count as research! I think it's a great reminder about what it is we're trying to accomplish with screenwriting -- we're trying to make art that entertains and/or elicits some kind of emotional response from the reader/audience, and "studying" how others have done it can spark new ideas and inspirations about the project that I'm working on.

It's like how some people browse the gaming side of the forum more than they actually play games, right? You can get so caught up in the discussion, nuances, techniques, and criticisms that you begin to lose touch with what the game is trying to accomplish -- it's supposed to be fun to play and potentially evoke some kind of reaction from the player with its characters, stories, and worlds. I look at movies/TV the same way as a writer.

I'm also into free association writing, which has helped with writer's block, especially when I'm trying to find the voice of a character. Being able to just "talk" as them, ramble on the page about their mother, boyfriend, career, fears, future, etc. has really helped me in the past when breaking a character and their story, because once I can "hear" them, once I know who they are (their motivations), then I can have them say or do anything needed within the context of the story.

I totally get it, as I just used my MP to go see Jigsaw tonight. Your suggestions are very insightful and help more than you could imagine, and for that, I thank you. I think using your ideas and also getting medicated so that I can focus should help with the lack of focus in my work. My issue is that I get bored with an idea after a long investment in it and then get an idea and start on that without finishing the previous idea. It's a vicious cycle.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
I have a pretty unorthodox process, while in the outline process at least.Its very music oriented. I like to develop a music playlist at the same time to develop the tones, different directions or specific scenes that stand out. It also helps keep me on the backbone of the story with a flow.

It isn't the "soundtrack" that I would do, so I'm not trying to infer that, its mostly just a inspiration playlist.

Dunno, am I crazy? Yall do something similar?

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Glad this thread made the transition to here, it was a nice little group talking about writing and the industry as a whole.

I do that all the time! I like to "get in character" and act out a scene just to see where it could go. It's a great process. I'm on a final 20 pages of script that I've been wanting to re-work for a few years (went through development hell at a company and I figured just redo it and go out again as if its new). What's more is I think it's kind of fun, like an improv game.

So, you're able to use that template even for non hero's journey type of stories?

Snyder does a good job in his book and sheets of just breaking it down to easy-digestible basics. You can mold any type of story within his outlines in some form. It's not the end-all be-all of screenwriting rules, people break them all the time, but if you're just starting out I think it's the best jumping-off point you could ask for.

Txai

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a pretty unorthodox process, while in the outline process at least.Its very music oriented. I like to develop a music playlist at the same time to develop the tones, different directions or specific scenes that stand out. It also helps keep me on the backbone of the story with a flow.

It isn't the "soundtrack" that I would do, so I'm not trying to infer that, its mostly just a inspiration playlist.

I always include "music that sounds like [insert example]" on scenes that I feel it would be suitable.

Another thing you can do is highlight all action words so you can make a list of each sound the film will need.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I do sometimes. Getting into a "mood" while writing to get a good tone for a scene is pretty common, I think. I do mostly like silence, though, and acting things out. If I do write with music, it can't have words. Only instrumental (so jazz/movie soundtracks/classical) because I find lyrics distracting.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
I do sometimes. Getting into a "mood" while writing to get a good tone for a scene is pretty common, I think. I do mostly like silence, though, and acting things out. If I do write with music, it can't have words. Only instrumental (so jazz/movie soundtracks/classical) because I find lyrics distracting.

What worked for me during my most active writing was energy drinks and southern comfort, but I've been on a strict diet (a choice) so it takes me a few hours at night to get into the groove. Music though was always in the mix. Each of my scripts has its own playlist, with about 40 songs.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017

DUDE! I did this just last night, haha. I'm making a short film Spring of next year and while listening to the BeeGee's, I created the concept for a scene and how it will play out just based on the song alone. Music really drives my emotions and creativity, so you aren't crazy at all.

Blind

Oct 25, 2017
I totally get it, as I just used my MP to go see Jigsaw tonight. Your suggestions are very insightful and help more than you could imagine, and for that, I thank you. I think using your ideas and also getting medicated so that I can focus should help with the lack of focus in my work. My issue is that I get bored with an idea after a long investment in it and then get an idea and start on that without finishing the previous idea. It's a vicious cycle.

I have a "stack" (aka a series of Google Docs) of unfinished and shelved ideas, which I have every intention and desire of returning to complete one day, so I've definitely been there too. What I try to do is "vomit" everything I can about the new idea into a separate doc, all the things I liked about the idea, what some characters could be, themes, etc., and then I shift back to my original project. That way I don't feel like I abandoned what could be this great new idea, but I'm still prioritizing my time on the project that's further along, if that makes sense. No harm in having multiple ideas to work on when your brain needs a break either.

So, you're able to use that template even for non hero's journey type of stories?

Yeah for sure. But I also don't approach formatting or screenwriting "rules" as gospel like I know some writers do, which I completely understand. So I'll start with Snyder's beats and use them as like checkpoints I need to get to in the story. Specifically, it's really helped me develop a main character's arc for Act 1 and the first half of Act 2, maybe more than anything else, because the second half of Act 2 (at least for most dramas) is all about the downward spiral, and making sure the momentum of that spiral is sustained up until we crash into the wall that is Dark Night of the Soul/End of Act 2 is more important to me than saying "okay, here's where the 'Bad Guys Close In' and then here's where "All is Lost'." I just use the Beats as guidelines and then attempt to "bend the rules" as much as I can to fit my story without breaking the structure of the plot.

I do that all the time! I like to "get in character" and act out a scene just to see where it could go. It's a great process. I'm on a final 20 pages of script that I've been wanting to re-work for a few years (went through development hell at a company and I figured just redo it and go out again as if its new). What's more is I think it's kind of fun, like an improv game.

Oh, I also always end a project with a private "dramatic reading" for my own enjoyment! Lol. Just to make sure everyone "sounds" right and then tweak dialogue accordingly. I kind of love the performance/improv part of writing too. And good luck on the rewrite of your old script!

Crazy?? No way! I do this for EVERYTHING! Or at least I'll skim through my score collection to try to find a good sound that could fit the project while simultaneously serve as good background noise.

Txai

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Charlie Chaplin would often reuse ideas from his previous unfinished films.

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
Charlie Chaplin would often reuse ideas from his previous unfinished films.

People still do that.

M. Night Shyamalan made Split entirely off of a character he cut from Unbrekable.

A good idea is a good idea. Sometimes it doesn't fit or work in the context you're trying to, but that doesn't mean it can't fit elsewhere.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Great to see there is a new OT allready. I posted from time to time in the one in the other place.

I've been working in screenwriting for 5 years now, though I've graduated as a major in screenwriting at a Brussels film school over 8 years ago. I worked on a Belgian crime series, where I worked on 8 episodes (some just as a story writer, later as a dialogue writer too), and wrote a handfull of short screenplays, mainly for animation. (The first of those has just been finished and should premier on a festival in a couple of months, if it gets picked up by one anyway).

Currently I have three feature film projects on my schedule, all of them attached to a producer. One I've been working on for quite some time and has slipped in production limbo. We were on the 4th draft when we realised we were completely stuck and might have followed a wrong approach. The director and I are taking some time of it, but have the plans to 'reboot' allready talked trough.

The second one is and adventure movie, based on a very old Belgian youth tv series. It's a reboot of that old series, with new main characters (and the old main character as an old dude now, a bit like how Anthony Hopkins was the old Zorro in The Mask of Zorro). Writing has been quite smooth, after a long research period. Currently working on a fourth draft and feeling that every piece of the puzzel is falling in place. There is an actor attached to the main character role, we've got a Dutch co-producer and are awaiting confirmation of a tv broadcatser if they want to help finance. If everything goes according to plan, we'll apply for production funding at the film fund in march. If we get that, camera's should roll in the fall of 2018.

Last project is an animated film based on a novel by Michael Morpugo (The Mozart Question). I'm on a first draft now, and am just back from the Cinekid Film Lab where I worked on that draft. Reactions were quite good, and I have a clear view of the problems I have to tackle in subsequent versions.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Great to see there is a new OT allready. I posted from time to time in the one in the other place.

I've been working in screenwriting for 5 years now, though I've graduated as a major in screenwriting at a Brussels film school over 8 years ago. I worked on a Belgian crime series, where I worked on 8 episodes (some just as a story writer, later as a dialogue writer too), and wrote a handfull of short screenplays, mainly for animation. (The first of those has just been finished and should premier on a festival in a couple of months, if it gets picked up by one anyway).

Currently I have three feature film projects on my schedule, all of them attached to a producer. One I've been working on for quite some time and has slipped in production limbo. We were on the 4th draft when we realised we were completely stuck and might have followed a wrong approach. The director and I are taking some time of it, but have the plans to 'reboot' allready talked trough.

The second one is and adventure movie, based on a very old Belgian youth tv series. It's a reboot of that old series, with new main characters (and the old main character as an old dude now, a bit like how Anthony Hopkins was the old Zorro in The Mask of Zorro). Writing has been quite smooth, after a long research period. Currently working on a fourth draft and feeling that every piece of the puzzel is falling in place. There is an actor attached to the main character role, we've got a Dutch co-producer and are awaiting confirmation of a tv broadcatser if they want to help finance. If everything goes according to plan, we'll apply for production funding at the film fund in march. If we get that, camera's should roll in the fall of 2018.

Last project is an animated film based on a novel by Michael Morpugo (The Mozart Question). I'm on a first draft now, and am just back from the Cinekid Film Lab where I worked on that draft. Reactions were quite good, and I have a clear view of the problems I have to tackle in subsequent versions.

Mr. Hotshot! It's always wonderful reading about the success of everyone on here regarding the film industry. It gives me hope. By the way, my family is originally from Belgium and I still need to get out there to visit on of these days (Never been there before, sadly).

GDGF

Oct 26, 2017
Hello folks. I lurked the OT in the other forum but this is my first time posting in a screenwriting group. I've had a few short stories published and I've written copy but I wanted to try something new. Spent the last few years reading every screenwriting book I could get my hands on, getting a job at an art school so I could network with folks in the film and TV department, and figuring out what bits of story and lore I have that are worth pursuing. I think it's time to put pen to paper.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Mr. Hotshot! It's always wonderful reading about the success of everyone on here regarding the film industry. It gives me hope. By the way, my family is originally from Belgium and I still need to get out there to visit on of these days (Never been there before, sadly).

Well, it's on the one hand easier and more difficult to get into it in Belgium (I should say Flanders actually, as the movie industry is split between communities) I guess. There is way less produced here, and the means to do it are slim. But on the other hand there isn't an excluding system of representation and there are just less people trying to break in too. Plus, the Film Fund actually supports young people with special programs (was actually my break in). Still need my movie projects to get produced too, you know. Lots of hurdles still to take. The adventure movie can just fail because there might be another youth movie getting funding from the Film Fund (they only do one a year in that genre)...

I would say, never give up. Nobody writes brilliantly from the start, and it takes even the best writers lots of drafts to get it good. Five years in I'm still always sending new drafts to my producer with lots of anxiety, and often criticism is hard. I think the most important part of this job is being able to accept criticism and turn it into something positive on the page.

Where are your folks from originaly?

GDGF

Oct 26, 2017
Subscribed!

What are the best books on screenwriting?

If you're looking for a great one stop shop kind of thing try The Screenwriters Bible 6th edition. Then supplement your learning with Writing for Emotional Impact. Then maybe read Story so everything ties together neatly.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Subscribed!

What are the best books on screenwriting?
Standard works are Story by Robert McKee, Screenplay by Syd Field and Save the Cat! by Blake Snyder. They give a lot of insight and lay out the 'ground rules'. Afterwards you can easily break and bend those offcourse. I would recommend plucking out of those what works for you, are to gather insights in what kind of stuff works.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
I sat down and finally finished the 1st draft for my screenplay and man, it is so hard to finish writing a sad ending without being so emotionally invested in the characters. The crying part didn't help, haha.