• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ghost_Messiah

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know anything about listing screenplays on InkTip? It's quite costly so wondering whether it's worth it. They offer a service to publish/send out your loglines in a magazine too, that I was just notified via a Final Draft news bulletin. So the script listings plus the logline submission (for two screenplays) comes to $200. Worth it?

Txai

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I remember watching Wilder's Stalag 17, Fortune Cookie and getting truly hooked by his dialogues all the way through.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm basically killing myself to hit this Nicholl deadline in three days, and I don't even know why since there's a late deadline a month later. :/

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any good resources out there for writing comedy? I'm writing a pilot right now and I'm having trouble getting the jokes to land.

Ghost_Messiah

Oct 27, 2017
Do you ever write a screenplay and think "this is the best I can do, for definite" and then come back to it a few months later, have a flash of inspiration and fantastic new ideas, and then realise you can actually produce something a thousand times better? I'm rebooting a sci-fi project I'm working on and I'm in the planning stages. I'm really happy because it's going super well. I have the makings of something great, or at least something much better than the earlier draft. I got some quite positive evaluations on the Blacklist for the earlier, original draft which makes me think it has the light of promise.

I'm always much happier when I have a project to work on, particularly when it goes well. How's everyone doing with their own projects? Let's keep this thread alive.

Txai

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you ever write a screenplay and think "this is the best I can do, for definite" and then come back to it a few months later, have a flash of inspiration and fantastic new ideas, and then realise you can actually produce something a thousand times better?

Yeah, the more pages your script has, the more chances it is likely to happen. Thing is, we never really finish something. We just settle with a version we're satisfied with and move on.

My most recent work is a script of 25 pages focusing mostly on dialogue. And since the story depends on that to advance, I revised it many, many, many times.

Oct 27, 2017
Do you ever write a screenplay and think "this is the best I can do, for definite" and then come back to it a few months later, have a flash of inspiration and fantastic new ideas, and then realise you can actually produce something a thousand times better?
I think this happens with pretty much every project for me. That's why I feel like you just have to let it go at a certain point, although it's tough to know what that point is. I'm about to submit something to Nicholl and honestly I'll probably never read it again because I just know if I look at it a month from now I'll kick myself for not seeing some great new idea. :/

Ghost_Messiah

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks guys. I do think you're both right. As in, a screenplay just evolves in to something you're satisfied with but is never truly finished. Appreciate your insight.

Also damn, just got an email from Amazon Studios saying they're stopping their open call for submissions. So we can't send our screenplays to them any more. So that leaves the Blacklist, InkTip, competitions like the Nicholl and Big Break amidst a plethora of others, and that's about it for avenues? Am I missing any here?

One thing also of note is that I just submitted my screenplay to the Screenplay Readers following some advice from Scullibundo and man was that fantastic fucking advice. The notes I received were amazing. Comprehensive and super insightful. The reader identified a glaring flaw in my script that I wouldn't have noticed in a million years, and also scored the script quite highly which was nice.

Thanks Sculli, you gave me some amazing advice, and I'd recommend the same to everyone here.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
On the tail end of the writing process on a new script. First actual script to do since 2013ish. It's been fun. For me, writing is my therapy so despite the low chance of being produced/sold, it has real value to my life regardless.

Gotta figure out what I will do from here. The link above me seems interesting, maybe I should get some coverage on it. Was thinking about submitting to screenplay festivals too, but I don't want to rush it.

Quick question though, and someone remind me, but what is the process once you actually get the draft down to what you are comfortable with? What's the best way to find representation?

Thanks

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Basically done with my script, might wait a few days and re-read it to get some time away. Been working on it every day basically for 4 months.

I'll work on log line and such until then.

Also, what would yall recommend from here in terms of getting attention on it?

Last edited:

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not familiar with Stage 32, but I don't think any of the major contests/services have that sort of exclusivity requirement.

I also remember you are supposed to register it with the WGA before submitting, right, as a sort of safeguard and proof of ownership?

I don't think its required, but I think its more of a way to insure you have some sort of proof you own the actual work.

Its been about 6 years since I've done this type of thing....

Oct 27, 2017
I also remember you are supposed to register it with the WGA before submitting, right, as a sort of safeguard and proof of ownership?

I don't think its required, but I think its more of a way to insure you have some sort of proof you own the actual work.

Its been about 6 years since I've done this type of thing....
I definitely don't remember anything saying you're required to do that, but you can certainly look into it if you're nervous. From what I've read, the WGA registration thing probably isn't worth the money but you can register a copyright on it with the US Copyright Office (might be misremembering that name).

It seems like there's a lot of debate online as to whether you really need to do this. I think if you're electronically submitting a script you're pretty much safe since you've created a paper trail, but if spending a bit of money gives you peace of mind, you can look into which option is better.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Alright I have entered the Nicholl Fellowship.

I feel happy with it. Now its time to rest my head a while I guess.

Though I feel like an idiot. I accidentally typed my title with the last letter being lower case. Whatever. So it goes?

Ghost_Messiah

Oct 27, 2017
Basically done with my script, might wait a few days and re-read it to get some time away. Been working on it every day basically for 4 months.

I'll work on log line and such until then.

Also, what would yall recommend from here in terms of getting attention on it?

Congrats man! It's one of the loveliest feelings in the world to finish something as epic as a screenplay after a long period of hard work. Catharsis on another level. Once piece of wisdom I'd give you that I've learned after doing this for like, going on 10 years now, is that you'll become much more experienced, much more skilled, and thus by definition much faster over time. When I started out we were looking at 3 to 4 months per draft of a screenplay. Like, I physically could not work faster than that. Fast forward to several years later and I completed a rough draft of a feature film sci-fi screenplay that was based on a five page story outline I wrote in a record two nights. 7 hours a night totalling 14 hours and the rough version of the entire screenplay was done. Had a polished draft completed in two weeks. So I went from 4 months minimum to 2 weeks, just from writing screenplay draft after screenplay draft over a number of years and latently and naturally becoming much faster. Sent it off to the ScreenplayReaders and they scored it really highly too with some super positive feedback, so it was actually decent/good work.

Point being, you'll be able to bang out a new draft in a month tops on no time. Just keep going with the intelligent practice of iterating your material and producing new drafts and you'll improve over time.

To more directly answer your question, you're looking at services like the Blacklist and those that are similar for exposure, and the potential for producers to download your script. Then you have notable competitions like the Nicholl and Final Draft competitions (choose wisely - only go for the heavy hitters) and then outside of that networking and producer connections, which you have to work at.

Anyway hope all this helps and all the best with your screenplay. After that much arduous commitment and work ethic I bet it's really excellent.

EDIT: Ah, just one more thing. Don't submit your first attempt/draft to the Blacklist, else you're risking naturally low scores. Get coverage from a service like the ScreenplayReaders first, act on the feedback they give you (they're amazing with ideas and suggestions) and then submit the newer draft as your primary submission. Got that advice from some of the guys here and it was some of the best advice I'd ever received.

Oct 27, 2017
EDIT: Ah, just one more thing. Don't submit your first attempt/draft to the Blacklist, else you're risking naturally low scores. Get coverage from a service like the ScreenplayReaders first, act on the feedback they give you (they're amazing with ideas and suggestions) and then submit the newer draft as your primary submission. Got that advice from some of the guys here and it was some of the best advice I'd ever received.
*gulp*

Ghost_Messiah

Oct 27, 2017

Ah damn, already submitted your first draft? Been there my friend, twice actually with two of my screenplays. Got the aforementioned advice after I'd already submitted, same as you. Okay, well, they're fair and honest, so you'll get a legit rating of your work which is cool. One silver lining also is that though the Blacklist don't provide extensive coverage (it's like a little more than half a page divided in to positive and negative plus a short market recommendation as in, how a producer would view the script's potential) but they do provide professional and quite invaluable (and sometimes profoundly script changing) feedback, as you can use their notes as a kind of prototype coverage to see where the screenplay works as you work on the next draft. It's not as good as in-depth proper coverage (Screenplay Readers is more than 5 pages) but it's still feedback from professionals and they'll very quickly and harshly determine where the screenplay works and where it doesn't, so the advice can help you.

You may score highly, I hope you do, but if you don't score high, use the notes they give you, then get proper coverage, and then take the screenplay offline and re-upload it to the Blacklist as your second attempt, submitting for more evaluations (you'll get different readers so you'll go in fresh again) and hope your second shot does better.

It's still cool to submit to the Blacklist because you'll get a strong prognosis on what shape your script is in, but try to go for proper coverage first in your future endeavours. Hope this helps.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats man! It's one of the loveliest feelings in the world to finish something as epic as a screenplay after a long period of hard work. Catharsis on another level. Once piece of wisdom I'd give you that I've learned after doing this for like, going on 10 years now, is that you'll become much more experienced, much more skilled, and thus by definition much faster over time. When I started out we were looking at 3 to 4 months per draft of a screenplay. Like, I physically could not work faster than that. Fast forward to several years later and I completed a rough draft of a feature film sci-fi screenplay that was based on a five page story outline I wrote in a record two nights. 7 hours a night totalling 14 hours and the rough version of the entire screenplay was done. Had a polished draft completed in two weeks. So I went from 4 months minimum to 2 weeks, just from writing screenplay draft after screenplay draft over a number of years and latently and naturally becoming much faster. Sent it off to the ScreenplayReaders and they scored it really highly too with some super positive feedback, so it was actually decent/good work.

Point being, you'll be able to bang out a new draft in a month tops on no time. Just keep going with the intelligent practice of iterating your material and producing new drafts and you'll improve over time.

To more directly answer your question, you're looking at services like the Blacklist and those that are similar for exposure, and the potential for producers to download your script. Then you have notable competitions like the Nicholl and Final Draft competitions (choose wisely - only go for the heavy hitters) and then outside of that networking and producer connections, which you have to work at.

Anyway hope all this helps and all the best with your screenplay. After that much arduous commitment and work ethic I bet it's really excellent.

Thanks for all the comments I'll look into the sites you mentioned for coverage.

This wasn't my first script, technically my 4th or so that is feature length. It was my first one I've done in like 5 years though,. It took about a month to write, then the past 3 months I've done read through after read through editing. Over the weekend alone I did a day where I did 2 read through/edits that took 13 hours. I also have dyslexia so I had to spend more time than most making sure grammar/spelling is right. Even then I probably missed stuff and it will hurt me.

For me, it's all about the process. Its therapeutic almost. It's a quiet complex set up for the story so I needed to make sure I did it as best as I could for clarity. Maybe it isn't good all all, but yesterday when I was doing my last read through it felt really good.

After i submitted last night, I had this "now what" moment and all day I've been kinda like "yeah not going to win or anything, all for nothing" type vibe.

Maybe I'll get coverage done and see what people see it as and go from there. It's always a long shot to be made, let alone to be a finalist, so you have to love the process I guess.

Last edited:

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Submitted to ScreenplayReaders for coverage. Haven't ever done something like this so hopefully it doesn't go horribly.

Ghost_Messiah

Oct 27, 2017
Submitted to ScreenplayReaders for coverage. Haven't ever done something like this so hopefully it doesn't go horribly.

Awesome man. So glad the advice helped you! Regarding the speed thing I mentioned earlier, sounds like your process was to get a rough draft done in a quick month but then heavy editing and iteration over a longer period of time, which honestly is a fantastic idea and route given something only ever becomes good after serious and constant iteration over time. All that stuff I said about becoming quicker over time - it still is mostly true, but then again I worked on my screenplay last night and it took me an hour just to get 2 pages done, though like you I took a period of absence so perhaps I'm just rusty.

Anyway regarding the ScreenplayReaders - excellent choice, those guys are super nice, thoughtful, comprehensive and fantastic, and will provide some very intelligent feedback that will definitely help you. They'll provide you with a two pages or so synopsis (mine was brilliantly written, so it's an excellent text you can use to pitch and so on) then about five pages of feedback, both positive and negative, where the screenplay is good and where it isn't, together with thoughtful ideas and suggestions you can use to improve the next draft.

Then what you have is an analysis grid, showing how you scored overall (percentage) and then scores for various targeted areas of your script. This tool is fucking amazing, since you can see where your script is strong, and where it's weak. My overall score was really high which made me feel awesome, but I did get some low scores in various integral areas I had overlooked - but that's fantastic as I now know exactly what to work on for the next draft. As I develop the current draft I'm working on, I generated a shit-tonne of notes based on the feedback I got - so their wisdom will be super helpful.

Anyway hope this helps and all the best dude. Glad you love the process of writing, I love it too. Hope you get some awesome feedback that significantly helps you.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome man. So glad the advice helped you! Regarding the speed thing I mentioned earlier, sounds like your process was to get a rough draft done in a quick month but then heavy editing and iteration over a longer period of time, which honestly is a fantastic idea and route given something only ever becomes good after serious and constant iteration over time. All that stuff I said about becoming quicker over time - it still is mostly true, but then again I worked on my screenplay last night and it took me an hour just to get 2 pages done, though like you I took a period of absence so perhaps I'm just rusty.

Anyway regarding the ScreenplayReaders - excellent choice, those guys are super nice, thoughtful, comprehensive and fantastic, and will provide some very intelligent feedback that will definitely help you. They'll provide you with a two pages or so synopsis (mine was brilliantly written, so it's an excellent text you can use to pitch and so on) then about five pages of feedback, both positive and negative, where the screenplay is good and where it isn't, together with thoughtful ideas and suggestions you can use to improve the next draft.

Then what you have is an analysis grid, showing how you scored overall (percentage) and then scores for various targeted areas of your script. This tool is fucking amazing, since you can see where your script is strong, and where it's weak. My overall score was really high which made me feel awesome, but I did get some low scores in various integral areas I had overlooked - but that's fantastic as I now know exactly what to work on for the next draft. As I develop the current draft I'm working on, I generated a shit-tonne of notes based on the feedback I got - so their wisdom will be super helpful.

Anyway hope this helps and all the best dude. Glad you love the process of writing, I love it too. Hope you get some awesome feedback that significantly helps you.

My process really was just write it all as fast as possible. When it came to editing, I focused only on the FIRST act first, then I focused only on the THIRD act, then I focused only on the SECOND act. From there I did an edit a week or so, which eventually morphed to an edit a day when I would work on it.

I feel focusing on a specific act helps you be in the mind set of the structure

The reason I edit the third act before the second act is because I want to see how much change there is between the start and the finish. Then you can judge the amount of character development it has or is lacking, which can be addressed in the second act.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Got my coverage back. It being my first time I'm not quiet sure how to judge myself in terms of the "number score". I'll wait until later tonight to read it again so I'll be prepped to be more mindful of what they are saying.

Like, the reader left out important stuff in the synopsis part, that is written clearly.

Last edited:

Ghost_Messiah

Oct 27, 2017
Got my coverage back. It being my first time I'm not quiet sure how to judge myself in terms of the "number score". I'll wait until later tonight to read it again so I'll be prepped to be more mindful of what they are saying.

Like, the reader left out important stuff in the synopsis part, that is written clearly.

Hmm. Unsure on this one dude. I got lucky I think since I got one of the best readers on the site (they were particularly in to science fiction so that helped a lot). What was your score if you don't mind me asking? Mine was way higher than I thought it would be (I'm a harsh critic on myself so thought I turned in something no way near as good as it could have been) but though the overall average was quite high, I did get destroyed on certain integral aspects in the sub-divisions of the grid. Like, quite a few areas got very low scores, but that helped me since I knew what to focus on as I write the next draft.

I was really pleased with mine, but it could just be being so overwhelmed at how good it was relative to the Blacklist (half a page of producer focused comments versus five pages of insightful feedback).

It should have been a synthesis of both positive and negative - so they should have highlighted what's amazing about the script, as well as critically suggesting ideas for improvement.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Coverage services are dependent on the reader which is why it's always a crapshoot. You don't know who is reading, what their qualifications are and if they even give a shit. I only recommend them if they are having a sale or are cheap enough to be able to play their little game.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
I'm taking what I read in the coverage and will make the script better. Nothing is ever perfect. I was more concerned about how it felt like some things were over looked. If I feel it was over looked I will just try to make it more apparent.

Oct 27, 2017
So uh, I got an email about a week ago from Blacklist saying the paid reader had downloaded my script, then late last night I got another email saying a second paid reader had downloaded it. What?

Ghost_Messiah

Oct 27, 2017
So uh, I got an email about a week ago from Blacklist saying the paid reader had downloaded my script, then late last night I got another email saying a second paid reader had downloaded it. What?

Has only ever happened to me when requesting two evaluations - they run a pretty tight ship over there and rarely fuck up. At a guess the first reader bailed or rather couldn't fulfil their duties so your screenplay was downloaded by a replacement reader to which you screenplay has been re-assigned to. Though really they should have had the grace to tell you that. You requested one evaluation, correct?

Oct 27, 2017
Has only ever happened to me when requesting two evaluations - they run a pretty tight ship over there and rarely fuck up. At a guess the first reader bailed or rather couldn't fulfil their duties so your screenplay was downloaded by a replacement reader to which you screenplay has been re-assigned to. Though really they should have had the grace to tell you that. You requested one evaluation, correct?
Yeah, just one.

And I literally got my evaluation back. 6. I can't say I'm shocked, but I also can't say that didn't sting.

Ghost_Messiah

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, just one.

And I literally got my evaluation back. 6. I can't say I'm shocked, but I also can't say that didn't sting.

Dude, if it makes you feel any better, I'm highly educated in screenwriting with a degree in it from a top-tier UK university and the highest I've ever scored on the Blacklist with multiple screenplays is 6. They are notoriously harsh on screenplays over there, only scoring stuff highly that's Hollywood-level perfect, which I guess kind of makes sense given it's essentially a US-focused producer's database. 6 is a good score from them, trust me. The vast majority of submissions get below average scores in the 4 or so range, from my research in to it. Stung a bit when I got low scores on there too. Feels bizarre in a way because my score on the Screenplay Readers was so much higher and way more positive than the Blacklist, but I guess one is just a coverage service whilst the other is a professional directory.

Scullibundo might be much more versed than I on the Blacklist to talk about it. He helped me significantly with it in the past. All I'd say is try not to be discouraged. Screenwriting is arduous, dedicated, iterative work, where something may only become super good at like draft, 5 or 6 after several sources of feedback and thus takes effort and time. Sometimes I think it's the most challenging thing to do (or at least do exceptionally well) in the universe. My plan at the moment was and is to get as much coverage/professional feedback as possible, and then take time on my next draft that addresses the most pressing, critical feedback. Try to focus on the positive things they've said, and then concentrate on the general focal point of where they thought your screenplay needed work (weaknesses section).

I'd recommend as much feedback as possible, and then probably taking a lot of time to nail the story, as inspirational ideas take time to accumulate. Hope this helps dude.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I'm always concerned about (as I bet all of us are) is putting too much information in an action line.

Say if you wanted to have a character build a fire, how would you go about explaining how it is done, or would you just say "_____ builds a fire."

I have a series of 3 action lines written explaining what the characters do. Would that be too close to directing on the page? I mean, they are each pretty much short.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3542

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

6 is good.

80% of screenplays are trash. Some trash ones even get made into movies.

Say if you wanted to have a character build a fire, how would you go about explaining how it is done, or would you just say "_____ builds a fire."

I have a series of 3 action lines written explaining what the characters do. Would that be too close to directing on the page? I mean, they are each pretty much short.

Just keep it moving forward, be as brief as possible on something like that. "John grabs two sticks and starts rubbing them together. They start to smolder as he throws on more kindling." or just "John gathers some wood and starts to build a fire." - A reader can visualize and put it together, don't explain everything because then you'll grind your story to a halt and it'll start to drag.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
6 is good.

80% of screenplays are trash. Some trash ones even get made into movies.

Just keep it moving forward, be as brief as possible on something like that. "John grabs two sticks and starts rubbing them together. They start to smolder as he throws on more kindling." or just "John gathers some wood and starts to build a fire." - A reader can visualize and put it together, don't explain everything because then you'll grind your story to a halt and it'll start to drag.

Alright thanks.

Also, so if a 6 is good, what would trash be? 3?

I got a 66 on my coverage. At first I thought that was bad, but from what you said it seems better than average.

Deleted member 3542

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, so if a 6 is good, what would trash be? 3?

Anything above a 5 is solid, that's above average. No script is really going to get a 10 and only geniuses tend to get 9s. Don't consider getting a numbered score the end-all-be-all either, it's important to get varied looks at your work.

Below that number has issues probably, usually serious ones down to structure and character arcs that would require rewrites entirely. I'm going just based on general ideas of a 10 point grading scale that agents/execs would likely go by if they did internal coverage etc...blacklist follows that same scale.

I only say most are trash because most are trash. One in maybe 50 scripts are worth reading from my experience, and even that one is more like "It's alright I guess." I rarely come across one that blows me away.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Anything above a 5 is solid, that's above average. No script is really going to get a 10 and only geniuses tend to get 9s. Don't consider getting a numbered score the end-all-be-all either, it's important to get varied looks at your work.

Below that number has issues probably, usually serious ones down to structure and character arcs that would require rewrites entirely. I'm going just based on general ideas of a 10 point grading scale that agents/execs would likely go by if they did internal coverage etc...blacklist follows that same scale.

Ah, thanks for giving me some perspective on it all.

Over the weekend I started basically a 50% rewrite of the first act and am changing a lot of the events that happen in the second, but overall the same things happen just in different locations with more adventure to them. The biggest feedback I got back from my reader had to do with world building and having more of a plot with better defined protagonists/antagonists. Which is probably right. I like the new scenes I did over the weekend, they add more action and more world building to have people understand the "monsters".

Oct 27, 2017
Dude, if it makes you feel any better, I'm highly educated in screenwriting with a degree in it from a top-tier UK university and the highest I've ever scored on the Blacklist with multiple screenplays is 6. They are notoriously harsh on screenplays over there, only scoring stuff highly that's Hollywood-level perfect, which I guess kind of makes sense given it's essentially a US-focused producer's database. 6 is a good score from them, trust me. The vast majority of submissions get below average scores in the 4 or so range, from my research in to it. Stung a bit when I got low scores on there too. Feels bizarre in a way because my score on the Screenplay Readers was so much higher and way more positive than the Blacklist, but I guess one is just a coverage service whilst the other is a professional directory.

Scullibundo might be much more versed than I on the Blacklist to talk about it. He helped me significantly with it in the past. All I'd say is try not to be discouraged. Screenwriting is arduous, dedicated, iterative work, where something may only become super good at like draft, 5 or 6 after several sources of feedback and thus takes effort and time. Sometimes I think it's the most challenging thing to do (or at least do exceptionally well) in the universe. My plan at the moment was and is to get as much coverage/professional feedback as possible, and then take time on my next draft that addresses the most pressing, critical feedback. Try to focus on the positive things they've said, and then concentrate on the general focal point of where they thought your screenplay needed work (weaknesses section).

I'd recommend as much feedback as possible, and then probably taking a lot of time to nail the story, as inspirational ideas take time to accumulate. Hope this helps dude.
Thanks, I appreciate that. I actually posted two scripts there and the other one just got a 5. The weird thing is that one didn't really have any weaknesses - they just felt like the premise needed an extra something. But otherwise it's apparently a strong sample, so... I'm going to interpret that as a victory.

I was disappointed at first, but with both scripts the readers seemed to respond to the humour and the characters/dialogue, so I think I just need to work on some plot/premise stuff. Part of me wants to pay for another evaluation to see if other readers feel the same way, but maybe I should look into actual cover services. I'm not sure either script is going to benefit from the Blacklist at the moment. The first one I can see how to improve it, and the second one I'm not sure what to think.

Oct 27, 2017
So... got my coverage back and it was a 80, with pretty effusive praise on everything but plot. Now I don't know what the heck to think.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
I'm never sure what to call it on those sites but usually I list it as a comedy, then either action comedy or comedy thriller. I don't know if it's dialogue intensive exactly, but there's a fair bit and both the cover and BL reader seemed to think that was the best part.

Sometimes it just comes down to personal taste. I guess you can just try to take what they said and brew on it a few days and see if there is anything you can do with how it is now and make it beter.

Often times there are scenes that I'm a bit weary with and when I get feedback about things I finally axe the scene and try something else. Sometimes we force a plot point and setting with it thinking thats how it needs to be.

But I don't know your story. When I got mine back I felt pretty weary and just spent the last week doing a 60% rewrite. The same events occur, but in different locations and I added a lot more world building material.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Been stressing since monday. I had a hearing at the film fund for production support on the adventure movie I wrote. We're in the youth movie segment, which usually only grants one film a year the support (while more can get development and screenplay funding, both of which we got in the past). I know of at least three others asking for support too, so it's at least a 1 in 4 chance :/

Thing is, I didn't feel like it went all that well. The commision didn't ask a lot of questions (and most of them were aimed at the producer and director, the latter of which was so stressed out he was lost for words at times). Maybe because it was very hot that day and the room was sauna-like, but I didn't feel a lot of enthousiasm either. Tuesday I'll get he verdict. If it is a no, whe have one shot again after summer or in spring.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Been stressing since monday. I had a hearing at the film fund for production support on the adventure movie I wrote. We're in the youth movie segment, which usually only grants one film a year the support (while more can get development and screenplay funding, both of which we got in the past). I know of at least three others asking for support too, so it's at least a 1 in 4 chance :/

Thing is, I didn't feel like it went all that well. The commision didn't ask a lot of questions (and most of them were aimed at the producer and director, the latter of which was so stressed out he was lost for words at times). Maybe because it was very hot that day and the room was sauna-like, but I didn't feel a lot of enthousiasm either. Tuesday I'll get he verdict. If it is a no, whe have one shot again after summer or in spring.

So, kind of like expected, we got a no. The feedback from the film fund was actually pretty positive, but as they have only budget for one youth movie a year, they picked the one they deemed better. They said we should definitely apply again next year, as the project was always positively received every time we applied for some form of support (Screenplay grant, development fund, ...) We basically got fucked by a lack of budget. (And I can also understand they went for a cheaper project, where there is less doubt the rest of the budget will come trough. Our movie budgetted at 2,5 milion euro, which is pretty high for a Belgian movie, the one that got it is budgetted at 1,1. The fund is 500k)

Some feedback on the script was solid too, and points out what I'll have to work on the next years. Other stuff I don't agree with at all, but that's what you get with these comitees. They have to writedown every talking point that came up. I'm just a bit bummed they didn't make those remarks during the hearing, as I could've countered at least some of them. It only confirms my hunch that the decision was for 99% made before the hearing already.

Deleted member 3542

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Being in the US I really have no real understanding of how film commissions work like that. So is this something you couldn't try to finance independently? Or do you need approval from the film fund?

Sorry it didn't get the go-ahead.