• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Being in the US I really have no real understanding of how film commissions work like that. So is this something you couldn't try to finance independently? Or do you need approval from the film fund?

Sorry it didn't get the go-ahead.

You are free to do what you want. If you can get it funded without the fund, all the better for you.

But because movies are expensive and our audience is small, it's only feasable for real mainstream or cheap movies (the only ones doing it are really lowbrow comedies and movies based on popular tv-shows) to actually turn a profit. For most projects, support from the film fund is essential to get the film going. The rest of the budget gets filled with private money (tax breaks help a lot for that), film funds from other countries (every movie is in essence a co-production, and you can only apply there if you get funding from your own film fund), pre-sales from distributors and broadcasters, etc. Basically it's impossible to have full funding without the Film Fund support.

Apart from that, the fund also supports screenwriter's per project etc, which ensures you actually get a decent pay for your work. It's also a sort of bottleneck construction, where more projects get screenwriting funding than there are getting the later development fund, and even less projects getting the production fund (at the moment in Flanders: 7 fiction works, 1 youth movie and 1 animation movie. The fund also supports documentaries, shorts and high-end tv-shows, but I don't know the numbers of those)

Edit: and yeah, it sucks, as I really want to see this thing made. It's something Belgian cinema hasn't done yet, and I'm pretty happy with how the screenplay turned out (though it needs polish). I'm fully payed for my work though, so that's at least a comfort. It's just that I have another year ahead of mee tooling at this script, while I was ready to move focus to other projects.

Last edited:

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
K I think I'm done with my rewrite, I was having some transition issues but I think I've made this draft as best as I can with within the perspective I have on the story.

It's always hard to step away from it and be able to judge how clear things are. After this draft I will just try and forget it for 6 months and revisit it to see if that will help me have a new perspective.

Submitted it to the black list, which is my first project I've ever done it for, and doing an evaluation for it. Prepping myself for the hard fall. At least trying to.

Last edited:

Ghost_Messiah

Oct 27, 2017
Finaly, finally got back in to screenwriting again after a 6 month long lapse. I had been generating new ideas all through April and May for the second iteration of my sci-fi project but was finding it near impossible to just sit down for 3 or 4 hours to do the harder, mechanical work, or rather the actual screenwriting. I did an hour yesterday and enjoyed it so much did almost 4 hours today. Feels good man. The project got a very surprisingly high score via the Screenplay Readers (first draft) which I totally didn't expect, so that has made me confident and optimistic the screenplay is actually good.

I mean, the version the reader read was literally a first draft I wrote in 2 weeks so the high score was out of nowhere. Guess it shows I'm half way decent at this. I'm very hopeful with the next draft as it had months of flashes of inspiration and awesome new ideas. I did some work on the new story today and it's going to have 15 new sequences, of which 10 are new lengthy scenes so it'll be dramatically different to the first iteration. The plan is to finish it over the next month or so then re-submit to the Screenplay Readers (to the same reader that read it before) and hope for a better score. It's cool they give you that analysis grid to work from as it's helping me immensely to target the weaknesses. So feeling good at the moment. I've started to remember how much I love screenwriting.

I've received three sets of feedback so far and the next draft, as well as including the new ideas and scenes is addressing all of it. So I'm hopeful with this new version. Wish me luck.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finaly, finally got back in to screenwriting again after a 6 month long lapse. I had been generating new ideas all through April and May for the second iteration of my sci-fi project but was finding it near impossible to just sit down for 3 or 4 hours to do the harder, mechanical work, or rather the actual screenwriting. I did an hour yesterday and enjoyed it so much did almost 4 hours today. Feels good man. The project got a very surprisingly high score via the Screenplay Readers (first draft) which I totally didn't expect, so that has made me confident and optimistic the screenplay is actually good.

I mean, the version the reader read was literally a first draft I wrote in 2 weeks so the high score was out of nowhere. Guess it shows I'm half way decent at this. I'm very hopeful with the next draft as it had months of flashes of inspiration and awesome new ideas. I did some work on the new story today and it's going to have 15 new sequences, of which 10 are new lengthy scenes so it'll be dramatically different to the first iteration. The plan is to finish it over the next month or so then re-submit to the Screenplay Readers (to the same reader that read it before) and hope for a better score. It's cool they give you that analysis grid to work from as it's helping me immensely to target the weaknesses. So feeling good at the moment. I've started to remember how much I love screenwriting.

I've received three sets of feedback so far and the next draft, as well as including the new ideas and scenes is addressing all of it. So I'm hopeful with this new version. Wish me luck.

All the luck! Have to say 6 months is a hell of a lapse. Did you at least keep loose and write other things?

Glad it feels good. Stepping away for a nice time can help reignite the passion.

Oct 27, 2017
After getting my ass kicked by the Blacklist a month ago, I've returned to my two scripts to try and make them better. I guess I feel... good-ish?

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
I find I have to take long breaks after a project, as when I write it takes a big emotional toll, I just end up being drained creatively. Typically if I finish a draft and immediately start on the second draft I can do fine. But anything past 2 drafts back to back tends to lead to bad results because by then you just need time away from the story so you can have a fresh perspective.

I also tend to get really depressed after finishing something. The one I finished was a 5 month process of working almost daily for 3-4 hours. You have the moment of "oh wow did all of this and probably will never be anything."

Oct 27, 2017
I find I have to take long breaks after a project, as when I write it takes a big emotional toll, I just end up being drained creatively. Typically if I finish a draft and immediately start on the second draft I can do fine. But anything past 2 drafts back to back tends to lead to bad results because by then you just need time away from the story so you can have a fresh perspective.

I also tend to get really depressed after finishing something. The one I finished was a 5 month process of working almost daily for 3-4 hours. You have the moment of "oh wow did all of this and probably will never be anything."
God this is a familiar feeling.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Oh god, my scipt finaly got DL'd by the reader from Blacklist for eval, and I discover a typo that is embarrassing.

Instead of saying "fuck off asshole" it says "fuck of asshole".

Well so much for that.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
6/10 on Blacklist evaluation.

It is interesting because they got everything that I was trying to portray but in the review they comment that it is too complex of a set up. Even their log line was dead on.

The other main thing they commented on was it needed more themes and character development. Maybe I tried to simplify it too much because the set up is quiet complex.

I feel like I can build on this. 6/10 on blacklist isn't bad, at least from what I hear.

Ghost_Messiah

Oct 27, 2017
6/10 on Blacklist evaluation.

It is interesting because they got everything that I was trying to portray but in the review they comment that it is too complex of a set up. Even their log line was dead on.

The other main thing they commented on was it needed more themes and character development. Maybe I tried to simplify it too much because the set up is quiet complex.

I feel like I can build on this. 6/10 on blacklist isn't bad, at least from what I hear.

Dude that's an excellent score. They're harsh as hell on the Blacklist (probably to protect their industry cred and reputation) and a 6 on the Blacklist is exceptionally good. It means your screenplay has been evaluated to be as good as the average of the thousands of screenplays they receive - meaning your script is seriously good. It'd be like 80%+ on coverage services. You did good. Now what you need to do is produce another draft that specifically incorporates their feedback (maybe try a coverage service too?) and re-submit when you're confident you can score higher.

You get two evaluations that average to 6.01 or above (higher than their current average) and boom, top list. Good luck dude!

On another note I'm currently working hard on my sci-fi project. Months of ideas and work so far. Progress is slow but steady. And I think I'm giving up on Final Draft. I know it's the industry standard and like, 95% of screenwriters use it, but it seems so dated and antiquated and the latest version (Final Draft 10) that would remedy the old as shit version I have is $250.

Been searching around and Fade In Pro seems to be the best alternative (don't have a Mac, so can't use Highland). It's $80 with free upgrades to new versions (Final Draft charges $100 to update) and it looks slick as hell. I'm reading nothing but buzzing and positive impressions about it. Gonna try the demo, I think. You guys have any experience with alternative screenwriting software? Thoughts?

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a big fan of WriterDuet, which has a free version, though you need an internet connection to use it. There's also a paid version, but I've never felt like the free version is lacking in any features. I've heard good things about FadeIn too.

Final Draft seems very divisive, especially considering how it's the industry standard.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Dude that's an excellent score. They're harsh as hell on the Blacklist (probably to protect their industry cred and reputation) and a 6 on the Blacklist is exceptionally good. It means your screenplay has been evaluated to be as good as the average of the thousands of screenplays they receive - meaning your script is seriously good. It'd be like 80%+ on coverage services. You did good. Now what you need to do is produce another draft that specifically incorporates their feedback (maybe try a coverage service too?) and re-submit when you're confident you can score higher.

You get two evaluations that average to 6.01 or above (higher than their current average) and boom, top list. Good luck dude!

On another note I'm currently working hard on my sci-fi project. Months of ideas and work so far. Progress is slow but steady. And I think I'm giving up on Final Draft. I know it's the industry standard and like, 95% of screenwriters use it, but it seems so dated and antiquated and the latest version (Final Draft 10) that would remedy the old as shit version I have is $250.

Been searching around and Fade In Pro seems to be the best alternative (don't have a Mac, so can't use Highland). It's $80 with free upgrades to new versions (Final Draft charges $100 to update) and it looks slick as hell. I'm reading nothing but buzzing and positive impressions about it. Gonna try the demo, I think. You guys have any experience with alternative screenwriting software? Thoughts?

I'ts at 108 pages right now, and I guess I can add 12 more after I do an edit to delete unneeded stuff, which should free up a few more pages. I'm just weary of page count. My first draft was 92 pages and the coverage person was really confused about the set up. So, I added 20 pages and now the feedback is I need to expand more. Seems like I've been neglecting the follow through because I was so focused on the set up.

The only thing I wish the evaluation did better was give more detail in how they felt the sequence of events happened. My script is half action lines/visuals, usually I like to just write dialog but this I felt called for very descriptive scenes so that the viewer along with the main characters learn about these "monsters". Maybe what they mean is we don't get to find out what they think about it all.

Sorry, riffing and just thinking out loud.

Last edited:

Ghost_Messiah

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks guys. Appreciate the updates and input. Let's keep this thread alive.

So my "alternative screenwriting software to Final Draft" adventure has ended. Essentially the best software by far is Fade In. Slicker, better interface - better functionality like with the dialogue tuner - and it's much easier on the eyes, and I would have loved to have switched, but the issue with it (and this is the same issue for all software I've tried) is that though it boasts Final Draft and FDX compatibility - it's fucked. I have 10 years or so of work and all of it is in Final Draft format and the scripts are fucked when opened with Fade In. Much shorter page counts and the description is all fucked (two lines becoming three and so on) and looking at their site they're aware of this but don't intend to issue an update that provides better compatibility. At least in the near future.

It's a shame as it's better (and cheaper) than Final Draft in every way - but Final Draft seems to stick with these very specific formatting parameters that are exclusive to the program and there's just no way I can convert 10 years of work in to Fade In's formatting - just because the program is nicer to use. So it looks like Final Draft 10 for me. I'm locked to the program.

It basically goes back to the screenwriting degree I did. We were all told that we had to use Final Draft. Don't blame them to a certain extent because back then Final Draft only had one competitor in Celtx and at the time even that was in its infancy. So I'm trying to get Final Draft 10 for as cheap as possible right now. I've seen discounts for up to 30% off so I'll probably buy it very soon.

Outside of that still steadily working on my script and hoping to pick up speed once the software situation is sorted. How's everyone else doing?

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Finished my revision. Most of the comments I had got were based on character development so that's what I focused on. They also mentioned that there were a lot of plot elements that wern't really hashed out, so I dropped some plot elements that took place towards the end.

I am having some second thoughts though, because what I dropped was originally one of the reasons I had done the story - an afterlife scene that I felt was needed for a charactor's need to find peace. However I think I discovered this character isn't the true main character, so I thought if it was complicating things I should minimize it. If they come back with comments revolving around needing more information on this character, I will revisit it.

One issue I feel it always had was the lack of a central character and I feel I was able to have one central character now with a distinct POV where that character has an arc. I think I needed to do this before I tried to do the other stuff first, and see if it can be the backbone of the story. I'll see what the evaluation says.

I'm grateful that the first evaluation "got" what I was trying to do, with the different story aspects. However that can always change per reader.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
I'm currenty somewhat in a break period, where I let stuff sink in before I take matters to hand again.

The adventure movie that got a 'no' from the Flemish Film Fund will get some heavy rewrites after summer. We contacted the fund and they encouraged to apply again in march because it was a close call. They even agreed to pay for a script doctor who could help find a new wind for the script (after many treatments and 7 dialogue drafts you kind of start having a hard time finding solutions for problems). We're looking for someone now. The producer already had a dramaturg make notes on the script, which were pretty inspiring already

The feature animation I'm working on might finally get a director, which means we can (and will) apply for extra development funding in september. There were some issues with the rights that went back to the writer of the book we're working from, but I'm confident it will be settled soon (it would be a real bummer if the project crashes on a rights issue after all the positive feedback the script has gotten so far). Once the director signs on, I'll work close with him and a storyboard artist for further drafts.

And last but not least I wrote a pitch for a youth tv show after the Belgian youth channel Ketnet did an open call for ideas. I'm backed by a producer and I feel the project has a lot of potential, but it's always unsure how the network will react to it, and if it is something they are looking for now.

I'm also going to developsome new stuff over summer, or rework some old things for if those three projects don't go trough or get stuck in limbo, as I'll need at least one concrete project going into 2019 to financially survive

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
I'm currenty somewhat in a break period, where I let stuff sink in before I take matters to hand again.

The adventure movie that got a 'no' from the Flemish Film Fund will get some heavy rewrites after summer. We contacted the fund and they encouraged to apply again in march because it was a close call. They even agreed to pay for a script doctor who could help find a new wind for the script (after many treatments and 7 dialogue drafts you kind of start having a hard time finding solutions for problems). We're looking for someone now. The producer already had a dramaturg make notes on the script, which were pretty inspiring already

The feature animation I'm working on might finally get a director, which means we can (and will) apply for extra development funding in september. There were some issues with the rights that went back to the writer of the book we're working from, but I'm confident it will be settled soon (it would be a real bummer if the project crashes on a rights issue after all the positive feedback the script has gotten so far). Once the director signs on, I'll work close with him and a storyboard artist for further drafts.

And last but not least I wrote a pitch for a youth tv show after the Belgian youth channel Ketnet did an open call for ideas. I'm backed by a producer and I feel the project has a lot of potential, but it's always unsure how the network will react to it, and if it is something they are looking for now.

I'm also going to developsome new stuff over summer, or rework some old things for if those three projects don't go trough or get stuck in limbo, as I'll need at least one concrete project going into 2019 to financially survive

Any place where I can watch stuff you have made?

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Any place where I can watch stuff you have made?
Nowhere I'm afraid. For now, the 'biggest' thing I worked on were 9 episodes (some just in treatment fase, for some episodes dialogue drafts too) of a flemish crime series, which hasn't been broadcasted outside of Belgium and the Netherlands. It's not available to stream, sadly. This is the IMDB page: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2613218/

It was my first job in the industry and I grew from a researcher in the writer's room in season one, to story developer and junior screenwriter in season 2 and full on screenwriter for season 3.

Since then I've been working on multiple feature screenplays and some shorts, and a tv-show that didn't get picked up. All of it payed for. The features are in different stages of production or limbo. I've got one that has been on hold for over a year now as the director and co-writer took a year of the project to film 13 episodes of a miniseries (time off that was good, as we got ourselves stuck). Than the adventure movie and animated feature I was talking about, and than this project: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8147656/ This one is expected to film in 2019 (they are securing budget at the moment, but there is film fund support already.

It's a project I joined late in the writing process, when the director (a good friend of mine) and co-writer (who is a novelist first and foremost) got stuck. They had two negatives from the film fund, and were only allowed a third application by exception (basically, they believed in the project, but it wasn't good enough yet). There was a pretty good screenplay with alot of interesting scenes, but it missed focus and a dramatic line. So I came on to take the material, restructure, write some new stuff and rework what was there (together wth the two other writer's, who knew the story much better than I did) After two new drafts we got a yes from the film fund. It has the potential to become a realy cool boxing/crime movie, based on the life of a notorious Belgian boxer who was boxing champion by day, and crimelord at night. At one time he controlled all the night clubs in his hometown of Ghent and some bigger ones a broad with his team of bouncers (all of them young boxers), who also controlled the drug trade in the clubs. With that money he payed the fees to challenge boxing titles.

And then there is an animated short of which I'll edit a clip in this post later. It's in Dutch, but it gives an idea. I really liked the script I wrote based on the director's synopsis, but I'm not too happy with the end result. I think the short itself is too slow, and could've profitted from some sharper editing.

EDIT: clip: https://vimeo.com/254346238

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Nowhere I'm afraid. For now, the 'biggest' thing I worked on were 9 episodes (some just in treatment fase, for some episodes dialogue drafts too) of a flemish crime series, which hasn't been broadcasted outside of Belgium and the Netherlands. It's not available to stream, sadly. This is the IMDB page: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2613218/

It was my first job in the industry and I grew from a researcher in the writer's room in season one, to story developer and junior screenwriter in season 2 and full on screenwriter for season 3.

Since then I've been working on multiple feature screenplays and some shorts, and a tv-show that didn't get picked up. All of it payed for. The features are in different stages of production or limbo. I've got one that has been on hold for over a year now as the director and co-writer took a year of the project to film 13 episodes of a miniseries (time off that was good, as we got ourselves stuck). Than the adventure movie and animated feature I was talking about, and than this project: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8147656/ This one is expected to film in 2019 (they are securing budget at the moment, but there is film fund support already.

It's a project I joined late in the writing process, when the director (a good friend of mine) and co-writer (who is a novelist first and foremost) got stuck. They had two negatives from the film fund, and were only allowed a third application by exception (basically, they believed in the project, but it wasn't good enough yet). There was a pretty good screenplay with alot of interesting scenes, but it missed focus and a dramatic line. So I came on to take the material, restructure, write some new stuff and rework what was there (together wth the two other writer's, who knew the story much better than I did) After two new drafts we got a yes from the film fund. It has the potential to become a realy cool boxing/crime movie, based on the life of a notorious Belgian boxer who was boxing champion by day, and crimelord at night. At one time he controlled all the night clubs in his hometown of Ghent and some bigger ones a broad with his team of bouncers (all of them young boxers), who also controlled the drug trade in the clubs. With that money he payed the fees to challenge boxing titles.

And then there is an animated short of which I'll edit a clip in this post later. It's in Dutch, but it gives an idea. I really liked the script I wrote based on the director's synopsis, but I'm not too happy with the end result. I think the short itself is too slow, and could've profitted from some sharper editing.

EDIT: clip: https://vimeo.com/254346238

I like the art style, and without understanding the dialogue, I can at least see it has good pacing.

I here you on the time off thing. I thought I was going to stop writing a while yesterday to reset, but then last night and this morning I had another idea and I went back to it. I feel it really strengthens the strength. I'm a bit weary because it deals with a derogatory term, but the person that says it is an antagonist and (I hope it is clear to any reader) a symbol for an old world ideology. Symbols are risky as hell, but the story elements leading up to it I think paint the picture clearly.

It's a risk but if it lands it lands. I just don't want it to be considered offensive.

Oh dear, I digress.

But yeah, yesterday I just felt emotionally drained from the whole process, but today after the additions I'm pretty confident and rejuvenated. Maybe now I'll just relax while I continue on with the day job.

Last edited:

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
I like the art style, and without understanding the dialogue, I can at least see it has good pacing.

I here you on the time off thing. I thought I was going to stop writing a while yesterday to reset, but then last night and this morning I had another idea and I went back to it. I feel it really strengthens the strength. I'm a bit weary because it deals with a derogatory term, but the person that says it is an antagonist and (I hope it is clear to any reader) a symbol for an old world ideology. Symbols are risky as hell, but the story elements leading up to it I think paint the picture clearly.

It's a risk but if it lands it lands. I just don't want it to be considered offensive.

Oh dear, I digress.

But yeah, yesterday I just felt emotionally drained from the whole process, but today after the additions I'm pretty confident and rejuvenated. Maybe now I'll just relax while I continue on with the day job.

I don't think you'll ever take real time 'off' when you don't intend to abandon a story alltogether (which sometimes is nessecairy when you discover it's not good). During the year off the story pops into my head from time to time, I get inspired by things I see, and I write stuff down without really opening the document.

I don't really get what you try to say about your own project, but I believe you can have character's say anything you want, as long as it is dramatically justified and in-character.

Thanks for the kind words btw. The whole short is written in rhyme, so it the dialogue automatically becomes snappy in a way. The short itself is a bit too long imo, and there is a long sequence without any dialogue where the pacing is somewhat off. I would've shaved some frames of almost every shot...

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think you'll ever take real time 'off' when you don't intend to abandon a story alltogether (which sometimes is nessecairy when you discover it's not good). During the year off the story pops into my head from time to time, I get inspired by things I see, and I write stuff down without really opening the document.

I don't really get what you try to say about your own project, but I believe you can have character's say anything you want, as long as it is dramatically justified and in-character.

Thanks for the kind words btw. The whole short is written in rhyme, so it the dialogue automatically becomes snappy in a way. The short itself is a bit too long imo, and there is a long sequence without any dialogue where the pacing is somewhat off. I would've shaved some frames of almost every shot...

Word context is definitely important to pace. I edit in my day job, mostly interview type things, so it's different, but still in the end I guess it's all about how it sounds as it is listened to.

As for the project, it's easy for me to explain my intentions, but I don't want to flood the thread about it. The first read I got understood all my intentions, so I hope with the additions, the next will. It's just 2 lines anyway. Some who are LGBTQ probably really hate the "F" word that is used against them, but I think it serves a purpose within the context here. The person that says it is a taunting piece of shit and there are like 4 scenes prior that displays that.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Just received my mark back for my university dissertation, which I choose to write a 60 minute TV pilot script plus the last 20 minutes of the season finale. But also included a TV Bible and a research essay, the submission was over 35 thousand words in total.
I was awarded a 1st (was actually an A+) which I am over the moon about. I've been picked up by a literary agent and also in the (potentially) final stages of having by work commissioned by the BBC over here.

A great start to the day :)

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Just received my mark back for my university dissertation, which I choose to write a 60 minute TV pilot script plus the last 20 minutes of the season finale. But also included a TV Bible and a research essay, the submission was over 35 thousand words in total.
I was awarded a 1st (was actually an A+) which I am over the moon about. I've been picked up by a literary agent and also in the (potentially) final stages of having by work commissioned by the BBC over here.

That's amazing. Good luck!

Oct 27, 2017

Congrats!

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Well the whole idea of taking a break didn't last long. Just added 2 pages. Figured out I had a character arc plot hole.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone got any tips for a first-timer?
Try to write at least something every day, even if it's bad (writing is rewriting, and it's often in rewriting you find the best material).

Don't go into full screenplaymodus with dialogue from the start. Build your story first trough beat sheets (a list of events as they appear in the movie. A beat is a turning point, which every scene needs. It can be the character learning new info, taking a certain action or having an insight, etc), trough outlines and treatments (summaries of your story) and only when you have the structure in place, and really know what you want to tell and do, you're ready to write dialogue.

See a lot of movies and try to figure out why they work for you (or not) on a screenplay level.

And read up on the screenplay basics in books like Save The Cat, Story, etc.

dean_rcg

Oct 27, 2017
Try to write at least something every day, even if it's bad (writing is rewriting, and it's often in rewriting you find the best material).

Don't go into full screenplaymodus with dialogue from the start. Build your story first trough beat sheets (a list of events as they appear in the movie. A beat is a turning point, which every scene needs. It can be the character learning new info, taking a certain action or having an insight, etc), trough outlines and treatments (summaries of your story) and only when you have the structure in place, and really know what you want to tell and do, you're ready to write dialogue.

See a lot of movies and try to figure out why they work for you (or not) on a screenplay level.

And read up on the screenplay basics in books like Save The Cat, Story, etc.

Thank you very much, I will give it a go!

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I read the coverage. Like the BL evaluation I got a while back, it's a mixture of some complementary stuff and some criticism. Unfortunately I'm not sure how much of the feedback to integrate since it seemed like the reader wanted it to be a realistic psychological drama and it's a comedy...

There are a few things I can probably work on, so I guess it's something.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
I would take the things that both readers highlighted that they found were the best parts, and strengthen those things.

I don't really know much about theory in writing comedy with scripts, how you make it stick with the reader, that is.

Oct 27, 2017
I would take the things that both readers highlighted that they found were the best parts, and strengthen those things.

I don't really know much about theory in writing comedy with scripts, how you make it stick with the reader, that is.
Part of the problem is both readers said they liked the same part (the main characters and their interactions) but felt like the villains were flat and needed more characterization. Since the script is already 110 pages, I'm not sure how to expand the villains without either making the script too long or reducing the scenes with the main characters, which apparently is the best part of the script and not something I want to do.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Part of the problem is both readers said they liked the same part (the main characters and their interactions) but felt like the villains were flat and needed more characterization. Since the script is already 110 pages, I'm not sure how to expand the villains without either making the script too long or reducing the scenes with the main characters, which apparently is the best part of the script and not something I want to do.

Characterization doesn't mean you have to make your script longer. Rewriting the scenes with your villains can be the main thing you have to do. Often, when you hear you need more characterization, there is no need for extra backstory or exposition scenes, but for another angle at scenes you have, other ways how you introduce a certain character, other ways you make him react to situations, or sometimes even the tiniest of things like giving them an unique characteristic. Often it means your dialogue for those character's is flat and they don't have a unique voice.

Also, cutting good stuff is always a part of the process. There is probably something you can easily lose without harming the story or pacing. Often it will even get better for it, however contradictory this may sound.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Cutting things can be hard, but what I do is make sure I keep everything i cut in files so if in the long shot of it being produced, I can still have it to propose it again and adding in it. I'd guess that the scenes could be good, but I think some scenes don't work well in a setting where a reader is blow through the script and ultimately just trying to decide what the story is and how good it is.

Ultimately the hard part is trying to figure out what to cut or change. The more and more you work on something you end up getting set with how you "know" things should be, or at least how you think they should be. You see the movie as it should be in your head, but when someone outside does read it, they don't see what you see unless you get really specific, but with very low use of action descriptions, it's a very fine line.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Bumping thread to keep it going.

Having another evaluation done this week, its at the reading stage. First draft was 108 pages, this one is 111, but I also changed about 30% of the original 108 pages.

Hoping this doesn't turn out to be a subtraction in quality.....

EDIT: Didn't want to triple post, but I got the eval back and am quiet happy with it. The reviewer said things that were pretty dead on, even likened it to 80s teen adventure/amblin movies which completely took me back and gave me some pride for myself. It was one of the things I was going for, especially after watching the new It movie last year.

Rose my average slightly too so I could get on top list, also gave me some feedback on what I need to fix. Most of the negatives they mentioned was over doing it on some tones, "some typos and spelling errors" (I'm dyslexic so I doubt I'll ever find them all) and mentioned that the dialogue in some parts felt choppy/lacked subtext in some parts.

Did another read through edit and felt liberated to add more in and expand on dialogue. Sometimes we make dialogue briefer than we should to save page space. Ended up adding 3 more pages after drooping a few worth, to be at 114. I was going to allow myself to go to 119, but I think overall I've made positive improvements. Didn't want to add too much just to add more, was just looking to strengthen the overall points.

If they don't mention the plot, is that a good thing?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
So I've gotten an offer from an independent filmmaker to turn his story into a screenplay. If this goes through, this would be my first screenwriting job. As such, I don't know how this stuff really works.

Is there anything I need to know in regards to pay and adding the screenplay to my portfolio once completed? Is it correct that I should try to get paid upfront for my work?

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
So I've gotten an offer from an independent filmmaker to turn his story into a screenplay. If this goes through, this would be my first screenwriting job. As such, I don't know how this stuff really works.

Is there anything I need to know in regards to pay and adding the screenplay to my portfolio once completed? Is it correct that I should try to get paid upfront for my work?

I'm not sure what nation you're from. But definitely try to get an advance so you can cover the first months you work. You can add in your contract when you get further fees (first draft delivery, final draft delivery, etc). But there will be guys here with more experience in the US system if you're there.

Deleted member 3542

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If he has financing and interested parties for a movie for you to adapt then yeah you should get paid. Otherwise it sounds like a spec deal - you two work together in hopes of selling it at a future date and get paid then.

Oct 27, 2017
And got my second Nicholl email. This one made the top 10% but didn't get high enough to make it through to the QFs. I'm going to look on the bright side and take that as a bit of encouragement.

Oct 27, 2017
Got it also. Honestly didn't expect much from it. First draft and all. Plus I was rough on the process.
Yeah, I don't know how to feel (either the rejection or the top 10% finish) since I've heavily re-written this script since submitting it. I guess I just have to hope I've made it better and then see how it does next year.

I also entered this in Austin, so that should be interesting.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I don't know how to feel (either the rejection or the top 10% finish) since I've heavily re-written this script since submitting it. I guess I just have to hope I've made it better and then see how it does next year.

I also entered this in Austin, so that should be interesting.

Did you get written comments? I guess you can compare the current draft with comments you get to see if you have improved on it. Though everyone's comments will be different. That's why you pick the backbone of the story and stick with it.

For me I'm taking a break. I'd be at work 8 hours then come home and edit foor 7-8 hours then repeat. My left eye has become bloodshot from eye strain the past month. Had been doing it for like 6 months.

Ghost_Messiah

Oct 27, 2017
Final Draft 11 was announced today.

https://www.finaldraft.com/products/what-is-new-in-final-draft-11/

Got an email blast about it. Coolest new feature seems to be "Night Mode" which is just beyond awesome and I can't wait to give it a spin. There's a deal on now where you can get Final Draft 10 for 30% off and then that gives you 11 upon release for free. So very tempted. Only thing I can't pin point is the release date. Just a vague "later this year" so far with nothing firmer announced.

Thought I'd give you guys the heads up.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Final Draft 11 was announced today.

https://www.finaldraft.com/products/what-is-new-in-final-draft-11/

Got an email blast about it. Coolest new feature seems to be "Night Mode" which is just beyond awesome and I can't wait to give it a spin. There's a deal on now where you can get Final Draft 10 for 30% off and then that gives you 11 upon release for free. So very tempted. Only thing I can't pin point is the release date. Just a vague "later this year" so far with nothing firmer announced.

Thought I'd give you guys the heads up.

I might do this with Adobe story going down in January.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
I have 10 already, and usually I skip every other upgrade. (I only bought 9 when they had a similar deal. You got a discount and a free update to 10 a few months later). Usually I discover I don't use the new features anyway (though I use the storymap to keep track of the most importants beats and their place in the script)

If the upgrade isn't too expensive (should check if my discount from the flemish screenwriter's guild works on upgrades), I might go for it. Mainly because the image support could be a great help to make mood boards, or to fix storyboards to it when I write for animation). I tent to avoid working at night, so night mode doesn't mean that much to me.

Ghost_Messiah

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds good guys. I'd definitely opt for the newer, presumably more stable version given the steep discount and getting 11 for free. So glad notifying you helped you guys out.

On a personal note, fuck this lack of initiative and effort. Christ I've been slacking so much with these extended "sabbaticals" where I don't write for weeks and blame life circumstances or whatever. I clearly have the disposable time for like, two hours a day at the minimum to get this shit done so I've just decided to make it my personal mission to write a bare minimum every day - I was thinking one new sequence in my rebooted sci-fi screenplay per day - until this shit gets done. Hard to believe several months back I produced an entire 120-page first draft working from a 5-page synopsis in two night. I have the drive and determination when I apply myself and I can get shit done - so back to working on this with consistency. It's my dream after all.

How do you guys cope with lack of motivation or initiative? Something that helps me is getting a new playlist on Spotify ready. New music helps me a hell of a lot.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds good guys. I'd definitely opt for the newer, presumably more stable version given the steep discount and getting 11 for free. So glad notifying you helped you guys out.

On a personal note, fuck this lack of initiative and effort. Christ I've been slacking so much with these extended "sabbaticals" where I don't write for weeks and blame life circumstances or whatever. I clearly have the disposable time for like, two hours a day at the minimum to get this shit done so I've just decided to make it my personal mission to write a bare minimum every day - I was thinking one new sequence in my rebooted sci-fi screenplay per day - until this shit gets done. Hard to believe several months back I produced an entire 120-page first draft working from a 5-page synopsis in two night. I have the drive and determination when I apply myself and I can get shit done - so back to working on this with consistency. It's my dream after all.

How do you guys cope with lack of motivation or initiative? Something that helps me is getting a new playlist on Spotify ready. New music helps me a hell of a lot.

My process might be different. Generally for me I don't write a synopsis, but the idea builds in my head for months or years then I finally get an image that sets me off to write it out. Then I get the first draft done in a month or so, depending on what else I have to do, then I spent the next 6 months editing it and fine-tuning all the elements.

By the time I'm at the tail end of that, like now, I don't even want to think about writing.

I'm a believer that the well of inspiration is not unlimited. Sometimes you have to let it fill back up. Could just be a few weeks off, could be a few months, etc.

However, I'm not dependent on writing for money, so that might make it easier for me.

Deleted member 3542

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Try writing something else. Not a screenplay. Don't focus on one thing you'll drive yourself nuts. Write a blog or movie review or just a post on a forum even. Whatever is creative or having you work those muscles and thoughts (and in some ways it's good therapy).

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
The easiest moment to write for me is the honey moon period: a new idea starting to click, and being eager to put it to paper. That wears of after maybe two or three drafts of a treatment though.

My biggest other motivator are deadlines. I keep discovering time and time again that without deadlines I can have a hard time getting started ànd finishing. Luckily, I usually have deadlines once the honeymoon period wears off. If I don't, I just try to sit my ass down for it and write at least something each (work)day. I don't give myself a minimum time or a minimum page count a day, because some days everything just comes easier than on other days, and I notice it levels out in the end. Having written something the day before helps the day after I feel, as it gives a good feeling knowing you've at least put in some work and are making some progress.

In other news, got a painful rejection yesterday. I worked on a pitch for a youth series for the public broadcaster's youth channel. It was a very fun idea that really got the inspiration going, the producer was happy with the pitch doc I wrote, the attached director was enthousiastic, etc. But we've got a no. Not because they didn't like it, but mostly because they felt it was geared to an somewhat older audience than their core viewers + they had something in the same genre (superhero stuff) in development already. Really sucks. After a few good years, it seems 2018 is becoming the year of rejections :P

It leaves my schedule open too. I still have the adventure movie to rework and starting a new draft soon after a great session with a script doctor, but my animation book adaptation is on hold after a rights dispute that will only be settled next month, making it impossible to apply for further Film Fund support like planned (deadline is in two weeks). It really sucks, because that project got a boost just before summer with a director looking to attach himself to it.

Ah well, I'm taking this week to finally develop an idea that's been gestating for years and which got a 'eureka'-moment recently, where I finally figured out what the story behind the premise can be. It's also an animation idea for kids, so I might try my luck applying this to the Film Fund in two weeks. It will be without a producer as there is no time to pitch anymore, which kind of reduces my chances. But I'll go for it anyway.