• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
The CEO of the company gave an interview today and it was machine translated and basically yeah, it will be put on pause.
Heart of Russia for Euro Truck Simulator 2 will not be released now

"We have DLC in the drawer that we can't release," says the SCS boss. It could take a long time

In the immediate aftermath of the Russian invasion of Ukraine, the first sanctions and the boycott of game developers, some fans wondered what the situation means for Prague-based studio SCS Software and its upcoming Heart of Russia expansion for Euro Truck Simulator 2. We wondered about it too and contacted the developers at the beginning of the crisis. In the meantime, they engaged in a number of activities to support people affected by the war. They have offered help to their employees from Ukraine and their families, made repeated donations to several charities, and also prepared a special DLC Ukrainian Paint Jobs Pack worth 1 Euro, the entire proceeds of which go to People in Need.

But it's only now that we've found out what's going to happen with the Russian expansion, whose release was already around the corner, but now many people might be sensitive to it. PR and marketing manager Daniel Nemec told Vortex that people in the community are divided into two camps. "Some have a need to punish everything that is Russian and want us to cancel the DLC or start working on the Ukrainian one straight away. The other group of people, on the other hand, are trying to make arguments why we should release the DLC. That the trees and roads in Russia are not to blame. And that they hope we will release it anyway," Dan Nemec described the situation. But that's not what he is referring to.

Pavel Sebor, co-founder and head of SCS Software, explained that a big discussion immediately arose in the company about what to do next. "We've actually been saying for months how it's going to be. Because the likelihood that there would be a war was constantly increasing. And we were already discussing what the crisis scenario would be several months ago," described Pavel Sebor. Although the SCS did not resolve the situation, they knew, in their words, at least that this topic was on the table. "In the first days we said: Maybe the war will be over quickly, what about it? But it was definitely clear that it was impossible to continue on the set course, to continue communicating about the beauty of Russia," Pavel Sebor continued in an interview with Vortex.

The release date was suddenly in limbo. "Maybe even the title of the DLC is in limbo, because in a way Heart of Russia is an emotionally charged title. And at this point, we might be provoking or hurting people who feel that promoting Russia, whether it's the landscape, the nation, or the politics, that you can't separate it all together at this point," the SCS chief described the situation. "At the moment, we'll see what happens," he added. The authors are said to be just weeks away from completing all work on the expansion. They've basically been in the testing process and the result is just being tweaked. "And now we have DLC in the drawer that we probably can't release at the moment. Apart from the fact that nobody in Russia could buy it, it would basically be a provocation of people of good will. We'll wait and hope, and not for the sake of the DLC, that Ukraine wins. And that it will be time to put some kind of friendly face on what's left of Russia after all the sanctions. And then maybe it will be OK to let such a thing out. I can't imagine that happening at the moment though. It's not possible now," Pavel Sebor described the future of Heart of Russia.

According to him, if the Kremlin achieves its goals in Ukraine, the SCS chief cannot imagine a release at all. "There's a risk of being in that drawer for 10 years before it's a completely different world," he added. Of course, the SCS also considered how to publish the expansion and whether it could somehow serve a good cause. "But we can't find any excuse or justification right now. Even if we donated all the proceeds from the DLC to Ukraine, still a significant part of the fanbase might hold it against us. That we're promoting something we're not supposed to promote. It's a sensitive issue. We don't want to interfere," Pavel Sebor fears. Still, he remains slightly optimistic. "We hope the time to release it is not so far away. We'll close it now, we'll finish testing so that everything is fully ready. And maybe the time will come to turn it into something positive. Something that makes sense and isn't just cold business calculus in the style of: Let's release it and endure some negative reactions," suggests the SCS boss.

But the team reminded that, despite the significant revenue shortfall it will cause, Heart of Russia is obviously not the only thing the studio is working on. Several other expansions for ETS2 and ATS are being developed in parallel and are in various stages of development. "We've been working on another DLC for a long time now, which started to be born a year ago. The next one for 2024 is also in pre-production. And America is also running at its own pace," Pavel Sebor pointed out. Financially, however, the company will feel the indefinite postponement of Heart of Russia. "It will be a significant drop in revenue for us this year because one big DLC will be missing," Pavel Sebor told Vortex. However, other plans for Russia are unaffected by the stoppage. The developers had no plans to continue expanding the game further east.

You'll be able to listen to the full interview with Pavel Sebor and Daniel Nemec from SCS Software in another vidcast later today. Here you will also learn more about the fact that Russia is an important market for the Prague-based studio due to the large community of truck gamers here. And the review bombshell the team faced after expressing solidarity with Ukraine will also come up.
Original article on the Vortex website(Czech): https://www.vortex.cz/exkluzivne-heart-of-russia-pro-euro-truck-simulator-2-ted-nevyjde/

This might not be major news on this forum considering how niche of a game this is but as a major fan of these Trucking Simulator games, it's both understandable and still sucks because it was due for release pretty much right around now and now, it might not see the light of day for years if ever. Fuck Putin. :(

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
The CEO of the company gave an interview today and it was machine translated and basically yeah, it will be put on pause.

Original article on the Vortex website(Czech): https://www.vortex.cz/exkluzivne-heart-of-russia-pro-euro-truck-simulator-2-ted-nevyjde/

This might not be major news on this forum considering how niche of a game this is but as a major fan of these Trucking Simulator games, it's both understandable and still sucks because it was due for release pretty much right around now and now, it might not see the light of day for years if ever. Fuck Putin. :(

Yeah, that is a tough situation but I think trey decided correctly.. and is this game really "niche" though ? Probably here on ERA, but the game sold more than 10 mil. copies on Steam and in Europe it's a really popular game - personally I know more people that played or are playing this game than for example people who play Naughty Dog games

Beast780

Jan 28, 2018
I was worried about this. It is the right thing to do, however, they are close to finished with it and had to have pumped a ton of money into creating it, gonna be a big financial hit to them and I'm not sure how stable they are financially.

Fuck Putin.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Smart move. They'll just have to move to whatever else they're working on for Euro Truck Sim 2 or maybe move people over to American Truck Sim to get Texas and Montana out a bit sooner.

Overture

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Must be tough for them, a lot of work was put into it and it seemed so close to being finished. That sucks.

Fuck Putin.

ODD

Oct 25, 2017
People should stop doing this kind of things. Here in Brazil a famous restaurant stopped selling strogonoff. I mean, REALLY? How's that helping? What is the point of not releasing a DLC that depicts Russia helping them? No part of profits goes to fund this war. They could, instead, release it and donate the profits to the Ukranian Red Cross, for example. That would be cool. But no, "we will no sell the Heart of The Russia DLC because we're too embarassed", come on!

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
People should stop doing this kind of things. Here in Brazil a famous restaurant stopped selling strogonoff. I mean, REALLY? How's that helping? What is the point of not releasing a DLC that depicts Russia helping them? No part of profits goes to fund this war. They could, instead, release it and donate the profits to the Ukranian Red Cross, for example. That would be cool. But no, "we will no sell the Heart of The Russia DLC because we're too embarassed", come on!
I'm assuming Russia looks cool and attractive in the DLC, that's a potential PR disaster. It's not the same that the strognoff case.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Was kind of wondering about this, I know they've been posting updates about the Russia expansion for a while. It sucks for them that world events make it so they might have to vault or throw away a lot of hard work, but I'm sure the community will be there to support them with whatever future project they work on instead of this, or if the Russia DLC does finally come out when SCS decides it no longer has the emotional and geopolitical baggage attached to it (if ever).

It's pretty clear from the post why they don't feel comfortable releasing it. SCS has actual staff from Ukraine so it's not like this is all theoretical for them, even ignoring that Prague isn't very far away from all this either. So it's not just trying to cater to their audience; they obviously have some personal feelings about all of it as well.

ODD

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty clear from the post why they don't feel comfortable releasing it. SCS has actual staff from Ukraine so it's not like this is all theoretical for them, even ignoring that Prague isn't very far away from all this either. So it's not just trying to cater to their audience; they obviously have some personal feelings about all of it as well.
Makes sense, but I still think that releasing it and donating the profits to help the Ukrainian people would be better than simply shelving it. I mean, it would be a bit ironic, selling Russia, but helping Ukraine.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense, but I still think that releasing it and donating the profits to help the Ukrainian people would be better than simply shelving it. I mean, it would be a bit ironic, selling Russia, but helping Ukraine.

Yeah, they specifically addressed this possibility in the statement. And I kind of get it: your options are basically to do a stealth/low-key release in order not to ruffle feathers and to not feel like you're promoting Russia, which I think a) wouldn't work to limit potential backlash, because people will find out about it anyways, and b) won't sell as much as you'd like, so you won't see much charity revenue; or promote the DLC the way you normally would but mention that it's all going to Ukraine, but then you're in the unenviable position of politicizing what was supposed to be just a DLC expansion that happens to focus on a now-belligerent nation. AND you still have the two problems from earlier, where backlash could be intense and people just won't buy it.

There don't really seem to be any good options for SCS, even assuming everyone in the company itself would be okay with releasing the DLC, which they may not be.

As an aside, I don't think this was posted to Era but here's SCS's initial statement about Ukraine, from late February:

Even though our teams are multinational, the core of the company has its roots in the city of Prague in the Czech Republic. The history of our country carries a memory of sad happenings that resonate in very similar ways with what has been happening in Ukraine in the recent days, weeks, and months. We see a very close parallel with what happened here back in 1938 and 1968, and it leaves us deeply concerned and full of emotions and pain that the modern world has to witness such horrific times again.

As soon as we learnt about this disastrous news, the whole company has immediately turned 100% of its focus and energy into finding ways in which we can provide help and support to those in need, towards those affected the most by the sad impacts of war.

We are in close touch with multiple charities to which we have already sent over 20,000€, and more of such direct financial help from our side will come in the upcoming days and weeks. We have also relocated a part of our team to immediately start working on a much needed DLC - the Ukrainian Paint Jobs Pack, which we are racing to bring to the Steam Store as soon as possible and from which we are going to donate 100% of the income towards those in need.

Besides all this, we are also doing our best to support our team members in any way we can. Several of our colleagues are from Ukraine. We have bound ourselves to give them and their families all the support we can, whether it is financial support for any extra costs they might have during these hard times; early salaries; mental health support; extra days off, or special and flexible working times; or even providing them the company spaces and facilities for accommodation. We are not only doing this as a company, as we are getting multiple messages from almost all of our team members, that they are joining and supporting charities, providing blankets, clothes, hygiene, medical supplies, and other items to charity collections, and more.

Dark and difficult times are here and we know that now is the time for all of us to stick together and help in any way we can, no matter if as a single person, or as a collective, team, or company. The world responded and there are multiple avenues in which every single one of us can join in and support those affected by this terrible war. We, as the SCS Software team, plan to keep on supporting and providing help in the upcoming future too, whether it would be a direct financial donation from the sales of our games or any other way we will discover.

Our prayers and hopes are with you, Ukraine.

The recently released Ukrainian Paint Jobs Pack, with 100% of the income going to People in Need, a Czech charity offering humanitarian aid to Ukraine.

Last edited:

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
It's kinda sad, for the players and the company, they worked long on the DLC and not releasing it will of course hurt them, but of course I can fully understand the decision. Kinda weird that they don't mention, that the money for the Ukrainian DLC goes to charity (100%), only mentioned in the steam news, but not the DLC page.