• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Rare has always been a company about moving forward with new ideas and concepts, rather than constantly reiterating on them like how Nintendo does with their franchises.

Their M.O has always been making a new thing, produce 1 or 2 sequels to said thing, and then move on to another thing. This is why, for example, Donkey Kong Country 3 was made by a different team than the one that worked on the first two games, led by Gregg Mayles: the latter were simply done with the series after DKC2 and wanted to move on to something else, that something else ending up as Banjo-Kazooie. And in spite of the Threeie gag at the end of Banjo-Tooie, Rare didn't begin working on another Banjo game after its completition. Instead, they began to work on Grabbed by the Ghoulies.

Someone in another thread made a good point: If Rare had always operated like how people today want them to (constantly reiterating on their old IPs), well, instead of Banjo-Kazooie and Perfect Dark, we would of been playing Jetpac 64 and Digger T. Rock 64.

The thing is, while Rare has always mostly focused on new things, they usually have a mixture of both new and old IPs every generation. The problem is that they haven't done that this gen, and it doesn't really look like they're going to or even care to. Except for Rare Replay, but that was a collection. And Killer Instinct wasn't even handled by them. I bet the new rumored Perfect Dark game won't be either.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Congrats to rare . I m sure they will keep updating the game with more content just hope they r quick enough to do so before losing steam .

Oldhand

Oct 28, 2017
I don't subscribe to that fear monger crap... I'm fully aware that a single player game in God of war is highly successful. I'm aware far cry and origins are hits. I'm aware that games like LOL and overwatch are hugely popular.

I'm also aware there are folk who pretend any dlc means the game wasn't complete.

I'm fully aware Microsoft allows you to play this game for a month for ten bucks and you can easily decide if it's for you.

Well done to you - but given that enough people bought the retail version for it to be at number 2, you're not representative of a significant number of people, unless there are a huge amount of those that did trial it first. No Man's sky was a runaway success and so was PUBG. It would be somewhat odd if publishers didn't look at those successes and pause for thought - why spend many millions polishing a game when you can send it out to market half baked, see who bites and then commit the remaining dev cash only if it's a success. It massively de-risks the rising costs of AAA development.

jesu

Oct 26, 2017
UK
The thing is, while Rare has always mostly focused on new things, they usually have a mixture of both new and old IPs every generation. The problem is that they haven't done that this gen, and it doesn't really look like they're going to or even care to. Except for Rare Replay, but that was a collection. And Killer Instinct wasn't even handled by them. I bet the new rumored Perfect Dark game won't be either.

Kinect Sports Rivals and Sea Of Thieves are an old IP and a new IP.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Disclaimer: I've never played SoT - just going from reviews and boards. How's the experience for those who bought it - still playing it or dropped it?

Still playing it quite a bit, sometimes daily, but sometimes I pause for several days, because I have other things to play, and other things to do. But I do keep returning to it, mostly solo, and sometimes in co-op, and that's not going to stop now that weekly events are coming. I'm not normally a multiplayer type of person, the last multiplayer game that got me really hooked was the first Titanfall, but I'm finding Sea of Thieves a lot of fun, even though there are many things that could, and hopefully will be improved.

But they did. It's common knowledge that they're not interested in going back to their old IPs if they can't do something new with them, and that's completely in line with their legacy of constant innovation and reinvention. Besides, the series that their old fans want them to return to - without making any significant changes to them, of course - are now 15-20 years old.

Oldhand

Oct 28, 2017
Still playing it quite a bit, sometimes daily, but sometimes I pause for several days, because I have other things to play, and other things to do. But I do keep returning to it, mostly solo, and sometimes in co-op, and that's not going to stop now that weekly events are coming. I'm not normally a multiplayer type of person, the last multiplayer game that got me really hooked was the first Titanfall, but I'm finding Sea of Thieves a lot of fun, even though there are many things that could, and hopefully will be improved..

Nice. Good to hear. I'm sorta struggling to reconcile the reviews and actual user experiences here tbh.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Disclaimer: I've never played SoT - just going from reviews and boards. How's the experience for those who bought it - still playing it or dropped it?

I matchmade in to a game with a random dude from the other side of the world last night and we spent almost three hours doing one quest that evolved into a massive pirate battle with three ships involved where we managed to lose our ship and still make it back with a new one in time to avenge our deaths and reclaim the loot that was rightfully ours. It was maybe my favourite gaming moment this year. I'm loving the game still.

Dehnus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yes they did, you just didn't like it as it wasn't "Banjo Tooie but different yet fully the same". Or "Conker's exactly the same, yet also different.".

Rare never really got a fair chance, for goodness sake just after they were bought the rumours were already :"Nobody of old Rare still works there, most sticked with Nintendo! HAH, MS bought a shitty shell!". Even though back then that was far from the truth.

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
It's been 10 years since they last released full title (that wasn't a remake).

The market is completely different, of course it's going to be their best selling IP.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Im still stunned they opened better then Goldeneye/Banjo.

Dehnus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm perfectly ok for rare to not want to go back to their older IPs and do new stuff but for me MS should be actively looking for someone to do it then, doesn't have to be all of them but ultimately there are fans that want games and have money.

Obviously they have to find the right team and idea but I find it hard to believe there's no one out there who can do a good job on some of them. KI turned out really well

That I can aggree with, as I enjoy old Rare. But I am also at peace with the fact that, I was one of the only few buying their damn games. The rest was too busy screaming bloody murder about Grabbed by the Ghoulies being "childish!" and "this isn't old Nintendo Rare!". I really enjoyed GBtG. Was a fun little game with cute humour and styles :). But people just wanted "Banjo Tooie, the same but different! and it can't be different either! Also why aren't you still at Nintendo? HMMM!?", when RARE was at its pinnacle when thinking of new IPs like Blast Corps, Jet Force Gemini, Perfect Dark, Banjo Kazooie, and Conker's live and reloaded. All new Franchises at the time.

Now MS does need to "WORK THEIR IPS!", I mean it's not just rare, MS owns quite a few IPs they don't do anything with :(.

kbear

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I matchmade in to a game with a random dude from the other side of the world last night and we spent almost three hours doing one quest that evolved into a massive pirate battle with three ships involved where we managed to lose our ship and still make it back with a new one in time to avenge our deaths and reclaim the loot that was rightfully ours. It was maybe my favourite gaming moment this year. I'm loving the game still.
Did you guys use a mic? How is it playing with randoms? I don't feel like using a mic but will if 100% necessary.

Oct 25, 2017

It's great if you're jumping in a couple of times a week, if I were to play it every night then there's a real chance of getting burned out. I fire it up if I know I have a couple of hours to spare and it's still fantastic, stick on a podcast in the background and just sail around solo and try to relax.

I might play more often a few months from now when the updates have added more stuff but for now this is the best way to get round the limited number of things to do. I still love the base mechanics/gameplay, it just needs a bit more.

X1 Two

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Im still stunned they opened better then Goldeneye/Banjo.
Gaming is much more front-loaded nowadays. Back in 97 sales happened over a longer period because there was simply less competition, less availability (digital helps a lot) and less preorders. Nowadays, sales normally collapse after two weeks. So just having the highest debut in whatever is not that surprising, if you look around you will see that being true for many current titles. It's all about keeping the momentum afterwards.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Even bigger than their Kinect game? Interesting.
Kinect sports was 40 dollars, right? That hinders the revenue a bit compared to a $60 dollar title. Still impressive though.

NPD now tracks digital and physical. Though I doubt SoT PC sales were significant anyway, the majority of sales are coming from Xbox console.
Well any xbone digital purchase is also a pc purchase, it gets even mudier if a console owner purchase on the website and also plays on pc.

But I had no idea NPD was tracking the Ms store sales. Are they tracking all games or on a per game basis?

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
Viva Pinata was robbed. It's a shame that that franchise didn't make it despite the grand cross media plans they had.

Nov 6, 2017
It sure is nice for rare to have a successful game (again), but it would be so much better if the game would deliver in terms of content and gameplay.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Did you guys use a mic? How is it playing with randoms? I don't feel like using a mic but will if 100% necessary.

We did in that scenario. The games built-in text chat hot keys while using a controller are great though. I've had huge voyages with fandoms without using a mic. The text chat stuff is context dependent so it'll give you text options based what you holding ("i see a ship!", "there's something in the water!" If you're holding the telescope or "I've got the chest!" or "moving the chest!" If you're carrying treasure).

Also, if you ever wanna play with someone that will be patient and not insist on you using a mic, I'm in!

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Nice. Good to hear. I'm sorta struggling to reconcile the reviews and actual user experiences here tbh.

Well, there are a few things to consider here. First, Sea of Thieves has been in closed alpha and beta for a long time, and many people, including journalists, were able to experience the game before it launched. Remember that the preview impressions were mostly very positive, and everyone praised the game for being a lot of fun. Rare have said a few times that, as far as content goes, they're keeping a few surprises for the launch, but basically, what you see is what you get. I think the reality of that hit some reviewers only when the game finally launched, and the shock was responsible for some of the harsher criticisms. But beneath it all, nothing has changed - the game is still a lot of fun, warts and all.

The other thing to note is that many people are somehow under impression that the press totally buried Sea of Thieves (hence the ridiculous reactions to Edge's 7/10 review that, together with 8/10 for God of War, caused the thread to be closed), but that's not really the case. If you look at the reviews, the game has gotten a lot of 8s, a lot of 7s, and a lot of 6s, and the reviews that I've read have mostly been in agreement that the core of the game is great, but it's lacking in other areas. In my experience, 7 +/- 1 is a perfectly fair score for the game in its current state, and that's not so bad at all.

It's been 10 years since they last released full title (that wasn't a remake).

Are we not counting Kinect Sports games as "full titles" because of reasons? They were also the most successful games for Rare in a long time, especially the first one.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome results and well deserved, Sea Of Thieves is truly special. By this point everyone knows the content is limited, but they have a great canvas of a gameplay and atmosphere that has no equals out there. I also feel this is Rare's best game so far in many ways.

scrapple

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
my month expired... gonna wait till the first wave of dlc hits and I will buy the physical game

chobel

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well any xbone digital purchase is also a pc purchase, it gets even mudier if a console owner purchase on the website and also plays on pc.

But I had no idea NPD was tracking the Ms store sales. Are they tracking all games or on a per game basis?

It depends on the publisher. Most publisher share digital sales, but some don't (like Nintendo and Bethesda).

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Some PC gamers seem to be willing to support the Windows Store anyway if they can't get a certain game anywhere else. I guess that's what Microsoft is counting on.

Also helps that SoT has been smooth as silk and haven't heard much problems on it like other games. Seems like SoT helped GP as much as PC going forward.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean don't get me wrong, congrats to them (finally out of kinect hell) but isn't for a service based game more important how it does down the line? I know 6 people who all got it on launch, already planning to stream it and who's going to play with whom in a crew the next few weeks, all stopped playing 2 days after launch (They didn't go with gamepass, afaik). On Twitch right now it has roughly 1.500 viewers. I really hope they can bring some significant content fast enough.

And I still hope they bring Banjo back one day...

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do we have any solid numbers?

I don't know if Rare's best selling game was under 100K or 100 million. Don't we need numbers for context and congratulations?

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
I am pretty sure Ge0force has a bot running when the word Windows Store is used he gets a notification. :D
All good fun. ;)

To be honest I'm not a real person, I'm actually an AI ;)

It's pretty remarkable lol I don't share his specific hatred of it, but I respect his belief in it

Thanks m8. Just defending the open nature of PC gaming against any attempt to lock it down or turn it into console gaming.

Last edited:

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Well done to you - but given that enough people bought the retail version for it to be at number 2, you're not representative of a significant number of people, unless there are a huge amount of those that did trial it first. No Man's sky was a runaway success and so was PUBG. It would be somewhat odd if publishers didn't look at those successes and pause for thought - why spend many millions polishing a game when you can send it out to market half baked, see who bites and then commit the remaining dev cash only if it's a success. It massively de-risks the rising costs of AAA development.

You did it again. If you look at facts... The industry is telling you this isn't true. Simple as that. The majority of successful games released are not half baked.

Premium

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NC
Some PC gamers seem to be willing to support the Windows Store anyway if they can't get a certain game anywhere else. I guess that's what Microsoft is counting on.

I haven't had any issue with the store. Sorry to hear you haven't shared similar success.

Have you reached out to MS support to see if they can address your issues? It may be an unknown user-error.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
I haven't had any issue with the store. Sorry to hear you haven't shared similar success.

Have you reached out to MS support to see if they can address your issues? It may be an unknown user-error.

As you can read in this thread, my issues aren't related to error messages at all. And yes, I've reached out to Microsoft several times already.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

I've only used the windows store twice. First time was for tomb raider which worked out well for me because of a bug in the exchange rate that allowed me to buy the game for under $10 right after it released. The second time was for the sot beta and that was a disaster. I was one of the many who could not get in after pre-ordering the game. So for me the store has been hit or miss

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I've only used the windows store twice. First time was for tomb raider which worked out well for me because of a bug in the exchange rate that allowed me to buy the game for under $10 right after it released. The second time was for the sot beta and that was a disaster. I was one of the many who could not get in after pre-ordering the game. So for me the store has been hit or miss

That SoT beta thing was not a store issue btw. Rare responded on that and took full blame for it. They screwed up they said regarding the Black Dog pack thing.