• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Developers openly saying they'll let you make the game ungodly ugly so it'll run on really low-spec machines should be commended. Not enough games these days are coming out with decent graphics options that let you get decent performance gains, especially with engines like Unreal 4 having resolution scaling options that take no effort to implement. This is especially good to hear after several big-name games on the Windows store have come out running like absolute trash.

Granted, I don't think this will actually run on "a potato". That'd be my old laptop with an Intel 4400 integrated GPU. Hell, I doubt it'd run on my newer laptop with a 620. Not that I'd wanna play it on there. It'd use up a huge chunk of my storage, for starters.
At this point Microsoft wants to find a game that will push their store more than making this game a sucessfull gaas, which could already be only with the Xbox version
That'd be something like a (actual, mainline) Halo title, which I'm honestly expecting they'll suddenly have as an exception to the play anywhere brand, just to spite people.

Last edited:

InteractiveSoftwareUser

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think this is a great approach for Microsoft, "cursed" graphics settings should be at least attempted (not everything scales as well as this though) for all their cross-play games IMO.

Potato-tier Windows computers are abundant and people in general seem less obsessed with graphical fidelity these days.

Cogg

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Quick question, if I have taken part of the alpha tests, do I need a different key for this beta or am I already invited?

The original alpha client updates to the beta, so your good man. Just install whatever version is in your games and apps and it'll update to the Beta

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
How potato are we talking here? I have GPD Win 2 on pre-order and would love to play this handheld. Also would be super stoked if low specs optimization becomes part of their first-party template. I might actually buy State of Decay 2 then.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How potato are we talking here? I have GPD Win 2 on pre-order and would love to play this handheld. Also would be super stoked if low specs optimization becomes part of their first-party template. I might actually buy State of Decay 2 then.

Anyone with an Intel

Core i7-7600U, Core i7-7500U, Core i5-7300U, Core i5-7200U, Core i3-7100U

On their laptops in the beta, could test it for you. The performance would be about 15-20% higher on average for the Intel HD 620 vs 615 in the Win 2. But as we know you usually tweak the ini settings and stuff after to get to playable settings. But as a baseline it might help.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
iYMjbjG.png

We'll see how this goes tomorrow.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017

It runs on the GPD Win 1 (although at ~15 FPS from my best guess) so I'd assume it'd be more than playable on the Win 2.

8GD34p9.jpg

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For shits and giggles I decided to install this on my Surface Pro. It's an i5/4gb and is very much a potato when it comes to gaming. To my surprise, outside of the initial loading and first few seconds in game it runs decently well. It defaults to Cursed settings. though. I personally wouldn't play it on this thing, but the fact that it runs as smoothly as it does is pretty cool, and if it's your only way to try it you might think it's worth a look. I think pretty much any desktop or laptop will play this game without any issues.