• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
It won't be nearly as popular as Minecraft without split screen though. Unless I'm mistaken I don't believe it has that

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I can't wait to see footage of cursed mode at 540p. As someone that used to suffer along with a desktop PC that was in no way fit for gaming (but I did it anyway), I'm kind of fascinated in how low settings can go. I know the conversation on enthusiasts boards like this is normally about maxing everything out but I think there's equal fun in getting modern games running on potato hardware. I used to like that thread on the old forum where people would post screens of the lowest settings!

Skronk

Nov 22, 2017
Cool, I should be able to play with my friend who has an Xbox then. Now I actually care about this game.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What does the water look like on a potato?

p1080204.jpg

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Well, looks like I'm playing the beta then. Want to see how my boyfriend and I like this game, but he plays on PC and I usually play on Xbox.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If they want to get it to see many people as possible since it is a gaas, not putting it on steam would be dumb as fuck. Windows store exclusive games have a history of being doa.

At this point Microsoft wants to find a game that will push their store more than making this game a sucessfull gaas, which could already be only with the Xbox version

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
At this point Microsoft wants to find a game that will push their store more than making this game a sucessfull gaas, which could already be only with the Xbox version

Unless it's halo (and even that is getting less likely), it's not going to happen. Tomb raider, quantum break, and gears (gears of all things) couldn't do it, SoT won't have a chance.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
If they want to get it to see many people as possible since it is a gaas, not putting it on steam would be dumb as fuck. Windows store exclusive games have a history of being doa.

If they wanted to get as many people as possible they would release it on switch, PS4, Linux, Mac, apple Pippin, Phillips CDI, 3DO, Sega master system, ouya, zeebo and Casio calculators

Of course they want people, but they want people on their ecosystem

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Unless it's halo (and even that is getting less likely), it's not going to happen. Tomb raider, quantum break, and gears (gears of all things) couldn't do it, SoT won't have a chance.

None of those games had any potential to do it in the same scale than an MMO could achieve. I'm still wary of the sucess of this game, but this must be the first title from the play anywhere initiative that fits more on PC than consoles (Maybe Halo Wars, but RTS are not hot right now and this game was treated as an afterthought)

Petran

Oct 29, 2017
well, actually nope
"xbox play anywhere games", is exactly what the title says. a great service to xbox players.
xbox games like forza motorsport or horizon or gears of war, really is a loss to any pc player that doesn't play them because "they are not on steam". in fact I don't give a damn about those kind of complaints, I find them childish and the equivalent of console warrior bulshit.
so dont buy and dont play any xbox games for your pc if they ain't on steam, if that's what you like. no loss on anybody else's part.
just dont keep repeating the same thing on each and every xbox play anywhere game.

Nov 3, 2017
In another thread I asked why ppl hate the windows store so much, it's like it ate their babies. Turns out it's because sometimes slow downloads and disconnect? Hyperbole much

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
Read the thread again. I responded in kind to a poster. I'm sorry I didn't add 50 emotes and a massive sarcasm sign, but it seemed pretty obvious to me I wasn't taking it seriously. This other guy decides to jump in with some condescending bullshit. He totally misread what was going on and then threw in some mansplaining to top it off. So yes, how dare he.
I'm sorry, I missed it being a different poster you discussed with at first.

But I think what's happened here is you misread his post just like he did yours.

It's a shame that our brains are conditioned to applying misplaced connotations. And I think it's ironic that it may have caused my initial reply to you as well. :-P

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Let's NOT turn this into another Microsoft Store thread people. If you don't like the store, complain in the other thread about Steam and the Store. What's happening is thread derailment. Please stay on topic.

OT: I would try this on my work computer buuuut i don't think that's a good idea. I do wonder how the water will look at 540p though. Prolly still fantastic.

Deleted member 35126

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 2, 2017
In another thread I asked why ppl hate the windows store so much, it's like it ate their babies. Turns out it's because sometimes slow downloads and disconnect? Hyperbole much
I sold my Xbox One the beginning of January 2016 and built a PC in the same month. That was at a time when the Windows Store was going through most of its growing pains. For one thing, the fact that it's a separate app from the Xbox One app is inconvenient. I don't know why the two haven't been merged. Regardless, a prominent issue used to be unreliable downloads. Quantum Break and Gears of War 4 are huge games. I would get near the end of a download of dozens of gigs only for something to go wrong and being forced to redownload the game from scratch since data didn't cache. You also couldn't pause a download because it would increase the chance of it fucking up. Downloading 80 Gb straight essentially took my PC hostage as someone with slower internet speeds. I had to put a weekend aside to commit to these downloads because I couldn't pause them at my digression like on Steam.

That aside, which really was just a souring experience, the Windows Store is also gross to navigate and look at. It's filled with mobile trash and mediocre apps you have to dig through to get to actual video games. It isn't like on Xbox where I can view all my purchased crossplay titles but instead have to dig through the store and multiple editions of a game to find the one I had originally bought. Again, it's inconvenient. With all that in mind, while unfairly, I think a lot of the issues with the games themselves sort of got lumped into the perception of the Windows Store. Most off the original crossplay titles ran like absolute garbage. Quantum Break was especially terrible and Forza Horizon launched very poorly optimized. I imagine negative sentiment over this has leaked over to the already disliked Windows Store.

Edit:

As for the OP, cool. Good on Rare for going out of their way to optimize their game for low-end hardware. I just wish I found the game to be appealing.

Nov 12, 2017
People cry about Xbox ecosystem dosnt have enough exclusives to attract more users ...then call DOA a product that try to stay exclusive on Ms ecosystem .....really weird

Ps. Sorry double post:(

OP
OP
Klobrille

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
People saying Sea of Thieves will be "dead on arrival" on PC clearly don't understand the basic principle for why Play Anywhere exists. The game - regardless of platform - will have a healthy population thanks to Play Anywhere and Crossplay. There will be one big player pool all Play Anywhere devices will share. MS doesnt doesn't care where you play. It's all about the MAU. They made that clear in more than enough statements.

The PC version is awesome by the way. Even on my notebook it runs fairly well. The help they got from the Coalition for the PC version clearly paid off. I think people will be surprised.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
The technical goal of having the game run on any (reasonable) system is excellent. I hope it actually plays out close to that. Many of the truly classic PC games had a lot of lattitude on what systems could run them (even if they ran terribly), so I have a sort of innate affection for games that can do something along those lines. A lot of my 286 (then 386) games couldn't run without bypassing the Windows startup in DOS so I'd have enough memory allocated to the game itself.

Are they calling people with low spec pc's cursed? Fuck off Rare.

My goodness, I hope you're joking.

Oct 25, 2017
Outside Perth Scotland
I'm sorry, I missed it being a different poster you discussed with at first.

But I think what's happened here is you misread his post just like he did yours.

It's a shame that our brains are conditioned to applying misplaced connotations. And I think it's ironic that it may have caused my initial reply to you as well. :-P

It doesn't really matter. It was just a bit of fun while I was waiting for Knight Rider to come on the TV

Dinskugga

Nov 6, 2017
Yeah would be fun too see the sys req for "potato" mode.

I bet its not gonna run on my old potato i have in my storageroom.
Amd Athlon II x4 , 4gb ram and a ATI Radeon HD 5450 1GB

Mizavari

Jan 19, 2018
So they will genetically modify potatoes to run this game on a DNA level.

I fear for our potatoes.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah would be fun too see the sys req for "potato" mode.

I bet its not gonna run on my old potato i have in my storageroom.
Amd Athlon II x4 , 4gb ram and a ATI Radeon HD 5450 1GB

Stupid thing doesn't even run on my Tandy 1000? Fuck off Rare.

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People cry about Xbox ecosystem dosnt have enough exclusives to attract more users ...then call DOA a product that try to stay exclusive on Ms ecosystem .....really weird

Ps. Sorry double post:(

Hmm... I wonder why.

Maybe of the store was up to scratch then people wouldn't have anything to complain about nor would they ask for the game on storefronts that are a lot more consistent in their delivery.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium

It's not about slow downloads and disconnects. It's about LOTS of people not being able to download or run the games at all. There are also plenty of other reasons why PC Gamers don't like the Windows Store, which I've already described here.

well, actually nope
xbox games like forza motorsport or horizon or gears of war, really is a loss to any pc player that doesn't play them because "they are not on steam".

You keep ignoring the fact that people aren't complaining because those games "aren't on Steam". People are complaining about the many technical issues, high prices and closed nature of the Windows Store.

Most PC gamers don't need every game on Steam. I haven't seen anyone complaining that Overwatch or League aren't on Steam. But PC gamers do want a competent and working storefront, aimed at PC gamers instead of console gamers.

Please continue further discussions about this subject in this topic.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
Have people tried to teach out to Microsoft through the insider hub? I'm excited to see such love being put in this game that I may have to pick it up. I wonder how it will run on a MacBook air.

Petran

Oct 29, 2017
You keep ignoring the fact that people aren't complaining because those games "aren't on Steam". People are complaining about the many technical issues, high prices and closed nature of the Windows Store.

Most PC gamers don't need every game on Steam. I haven't seen anyone complaining that Overwatch or League aren't on Steam. But PC gamers do want a competent and working storefront, aimed at PC gamers instead of console gamers.

Please continue further discussions about this subject in this topic.
You carefully ...cut-out the main part of my message, so I will spell it to you one more time:

XBOX PLAY ANYWHERE GAMES, IS A (GREAT) SERVICE TO XBOX PLAYERS.
period.
I think the just announced news that microsoft will be releasing their games day 1 on GAME PASS, that just makes it obvious even to those who have poor vision.

now, if a pc-only player, without an xbox, may want to use "Phil's loophole", good for him. if not, good for him too.

I said its pretty thread-breaking to have ANY xbox play anywhere game thread devolve to "RELEASE IT ELSEWHERE OR DIE"
and you did this a lot...
https://www.resetera.com/threads/se...y-aims-to-run-on-a-potato.18266/#post-3648121

so, don't tell me where to discuss like I am the one who is off topic

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Small offtop: I received an e-mail saying I'm in the beta... And what now? There was no code or anything, just information that my account has been selected. Shouldn't the beta be in my library right now? Because it isn't (PC).