• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The loop STILL isn't satisfying? Is it as bad as it was at launch? Haven't played since.

It's better but not widely changed.

There's more toys and such in the sandbox but its still getting treasure and selling it. You have a quest. Sail to where it tells you to. Get the physical treasure. Stack or bring it back to the outpost and sell.

The difference is there's more to do on the way. Threats you can run into
Players
Skeleton ships
Ghost ships
Kraken
Megaladon.
Skeleton Captains
Forts

You can make detours to sell fish at the seaposts. There's more emergent loot on the islands and in the water.

The big update came a month or two ago with the emissary system that adds an additional layer to this loop. You can represent one of the voyage companies for extra loot/gold/rep. It puts a very noticeable flag on your ship. As you do actions related your company your emissary grade goes up to a max of 5. The higher the grade, the bigger the multiplier on rep and gold. It makes you more willing to stack as much loot as possible before. If you sink you lose your emisarry status. Once you hit 5 you can get a grade 5 quest that just dumps high value loot on you.

A wrench in this is a new faction called Reapers Bones. They accept all loot on just their island for double gold. They also accept the flags of other emissary ships for big gold and rep. So if you choose to represent them, you fly the reaper emissary flag and go hunt other player emisarries. Reaper emissaries show up on the map for everyone. If you hit grade 5 reaper all emissaries on the map are revealed to you.

So they basically added a risk reward layer to the old loop.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
It's better but not widely changed.

There's more toys and such in the sandbox but its still getting treasure and selling it. You have a quest. Sail to where it tells you to. Get the physical treasure. Stack or bring it back to the outpost and sell.

The difference is there's more to do on the way. Threats you can run into
Players
Skeleton ships
Ghost ships
Kraken
Megaladon.
Skeleton Captains
Forts

You can make detours to sell fish at the seaposts. There's more emergent loot on the islands and in the water.

The big update came a month or two ago with the emissary system that adds an additional layer to this loop. You can represent one of the voyage companies for extra loot/gold/rep. It puts a very noticeable flag on your ship. As you do actions related your company your emissary grade goes up to a max of 5. The higher the grade, the bigger the multiplier on rep and gold. It makes you more willing to stack as much loot as possible before. If you sink you lose your emisarry status. Once you hit 5 you can get a grade 5 quest that just dumps high value loot on you.

A wrench in this is a new faction called Reapers Bones. They accept all loot on just their island for double gold. They also accept the flags of other emissary ships for big gold and rep. So if you choose to represent them, you fly the reaper emissary flag and go hunt other player emisarries. Reaper emissaries show up on the map for everyone. If you hit grade 5 reaper all emissaries on the map are revealed to you.

So they basically added a risk reward layer to the old loop.

Hence, the gameplay loop is significantly more fun/varied/rewarding.

I get that some people don't feel Sea of thieves is thier kind of game. If you don't find joy in Sailing and being on the seas, I could see someone getting impatient with the game. In my experience though, Sea of Thieves is far and away one of the most rewarding games I've ever played (especially when things work out in your favor).

This game has the highest highs, and the lowest lows of any game I've played. There is nothing more devastating than getting sunk and having all your treasure stolen after hours of playing, it feels like you've wasted your life. But when things go your way, and they do much more often than not, that contrast between the low points and high points makes the great looting, the soaring successes, the times you fight off five other sloops in order to defeat a new fort to get level 5 emmisary, survive a skeleton ship and Kraken battle on the nervewracking way back to the outpost, get all that extra Kraken and Skele trasure, and cash in all of that glorious loot at max multiplier while singing songs and getting drunk with your crewmates, is far and away some of the most fun, gripping, incredibly exciting and satisfying times I've personally had in gaming. I always come back, and it's always been worth it.

Hilbert

Oct 27, 2017
Pacific Northwest!
Hence, the gameplay loop is significantly more fun/varied/rewarding.

I get that some people don't feel Sea of thieves is thier kind of game. If you don't find joy in Sailing and being on the seas, I could see someone getting impatient with the game. In my experience though, Sea of Thieves is far and away one of the most rewarding games I've ever played (especially when things work out in your favor).

This game has the highest highs, and the lowest lows of any game I've played. There is nothing more devastating than getting sunk and having all your treasure stolen after hours of playing, it feels like you've wasted your life. But when things go your way, and they do much more often than not, that contrast between the low points and high points makes the great looting, the soaring successes, the times you fight off five other sloops in order to defeat a new fort to get level 5 emmisary, survive a skeleton ship and Kraken battle on the nervewracking way back to the outpost, get all that extra Kraken and Skele trasure, and cash in all of that glorious loot at max multiplier while singing songs and getting drunk with your crewmates, is far and away some of the most fun, gripping, incredibly exciting and satisfying times I've personally had in gaming. I always come back, and it's always been worth it.

Regarding the bolded: we have started quoting my sister when she exclaimed after a bad loss: "We just can't get that time BACK!"

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Regarding the bolded: we have started quoting my sister when she exclaimed after a bad loss: "We just can't get that time BACK!"

Haha,
Have you also started timing how long it takes for her to unquit the game and start again? I find that it usually takes us about 10 minutes. My life in particular, tends to just lose her shit. She will quit entirely for about a day if it's particularly bad, but if there wasn't much of a time loss, we we go back in begrudgingly within about 5-10 min.

As devestating as it is to be on the recieving end of a harsh loot theft, those low moments make the high points shine extra high for me.

Hilbert

Oct 27, 2017
Pacific Northwest!
Haha,
Have you also started timing how long it takes for her to unquit the game and start again? I find that it usually takes us about 10 minutes. My life in particular, tends to just lose her shit. She will quit entirely for about a day if it's particularly bad, but if there wasn't much of a time loss, we we go back in begrudgingly within about 5-10 min.

As devestating as it is to be on the recieving end of a harsh loot theft, those low moments make the high points shine extra high for me.

I am actually the one who wants to quit after a bad loss. She wants to go "fuck up someone's life" when it happens and loads us up with gunpowder barrels and look for someone to ram.

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
This probably isn't a very unique question, but is the game any good?

I heard bad things about this game on release but I'm guessing it's one of those titles where they just kept improving things.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Steam players just love social open world sandbox games. That's why there are so many of them. I think it helps immensely when you put out something not totally broken with nice graphics on top. Depending on how Grounded turns out it might be another hit if released on Steam.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
I am actually the one who wants to quit after a bad loss. She wants to go "fuck up someone's life" when it happens and loads us up with gunpowder barrels and look for someone to ram.

Lol,
I certainly

I heard bad things about this game on release but I'm guessing it's one of those titles where they just kept improving things.

I've sunk hundreds of hours into the game, so I'd say absolutely yes.

I assume the "bad" things you heard about on launch were a lack of quest variety/new things to do, weak sword combat, And an extremely stingy economy?

Sea of thieves has always had a special core of having the best ship sailing/combat, great and incredibly unique co-op play, absolutely beautiful seas, a genuinely fun and even funny feel and atmosphere, and a brilliant mix of PVP and PVE gameplay.

Since launch, Rare has executed probably the best series of post-launch content drops for a game that I've experienced. Almost every single month, new meaningful features, gameplay mechanics, mission givers, mission types, bosses, deep sea threats, new gameplay loops, new raids/forts, a rebalanced and a far more generous economy, heaps of new cosmetics, and constant new events have been added. They've also added a complete story campaign, and continue to add new story mission, new weapon types and different cannonball, new weather conditions, expanded ship damage, and I'm just scratching the surface. Basically everything about the game is better, outside of the sword combat, but even there the new bosses have improved the game.

The game is easily worth $40, and will quite possibly be the most fun you've had playing games with your friends in a long time. It's also a regularly exciting game, because they keep making it better, expanding it, and adding smart new things. Definitely give it a shot.

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
Lol,
I certainly

I've sunk hundreds of hours into the game, so I'd say absolutely yes.

I assume the "bad" things you heard about on launch were a lack of quest variety/new things to do, weak sword combat, And an extremely stingy economy?

Sea of thieves has always had a special core of having the best ship sailing/combat, great and incredibly unique co-op play, absolutely beautiful seas, a genuinely fun and even funny feel and atmosphere, and a brilliant mix of PVP and PVE gameplay.

Since launch, Rare has executed probably the best series of post-launch content drops for a game that I've experienced. Almost every single month, new meaningful features, gameplay mechanics, mission givers, mission types, bosses, deep sea threats, new gameplay loops, new raids/forts, a rebalanced and a far more generous economy, heaps of new cosmetics, and constant new events have been added. They've also added a complete story campaign, and continue to add new story mission, new weapon types and different cannonball, new weather conditions, expanded ship damage, and I'm just scratching the surface. Basically everything about the game is better, outside of the sword combat, but even there the new bosses have improved the game.

The game is easily worth $40, and will quite possibly be the most fun you've had playing games with your friends in a long time. It's also a regularly exciting game, because they keep making it better, expanding it, and adding smart new things. Definitely give it a shot.
So it's basically an MMO?

Dude, that's all you had to say; I'm a sucker for those types of games.

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
Depends. If you play MMOs for the power progression then no, SoT isn't that.
Oh, no, that isn't me.

To be clear, I do like the power progression, but that simply isn't NECESSARILY my main focus. Besides, I love games with sailing in it. I used to do that all the time in Pirates of the Caribbean Online and my favorite game in the Zelda series is Wind Waker.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
Oh, no, that isn't me.

To be clear, I do like the power progression, but that simply isn't NECESSARILY my main focus. Besides, I love games with sailing in it. I used to do that all the time in Pirates of the Caribbean Online and my favorite game in the Zelda series is Wind Waker.
Yeah. I was skeptical at first but now i love the fact that it does not have power progression. I took some breaks from SoT from time to time and if it has power progression i probably would have never come back because of being behind. Instead when i take longer breaks and have multiple new updates worth of stuff to check out makes coming back a great experience.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, no, that isn't me.

It's more destiny mmo than WoW.

The only thing persistent between sessions is the gold in your bank, your rep levels, and your cosmetics. If you had a dope ship with treasure on board 500 cannonballs, etc all that goes away if you quit and start a new lobby. You get a new ship.

Each server has a max 6 ships of 1-4 players each.

If you sink or can't sell your loot it can feel demoralizing but what helps me is that you gotta realize loot doesn't matter all that much.everything is cosmetic. Just laugh it off

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
So it's basically an MMO?

Dude, that's all you had to say; I'm a sucker for those types of games.

Not really an MMO at all. Nothing carries over between sessions except unlocked cosmetics and currency. The world takes awhile to travel in, but isn't that big and is only limited to 24 players at a time. It's like a very very spread out arena game, in boats, with missions.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I've just started playing it for the first time with some friends and we've all been surprised by just how much fun it is.
It's not the most rich word or diverse set up missions, but we really have enjoyed the sense of camaraderie in just doing basic things like navigating somewhere and docking the ship without running aground

CalamityPixel

Oct 27, 2017
Rare have been doing pretty well sales wise, even since the start of the Kinect days there games have had pretty good track records (idk about Kinect Rivals tho).

OP
OP
Gestault

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I've just started playing it for the first time with some friends and we've all been surprised by just how much fun it is.
It's not the most rich word or diverse set up missions, but we really have enjoyed the sense of camaraderie in just doing basic things like navigating somewhere and docking the ship without running aground

That's a big chunk of what I've enjoyed the most. Something about individual tasks meshing with everyone in the group is immensely satisfyingly, whether its the first time, or the 100th. Simple actions resonate just as much as a high-stakes ship-to-ship battle, and I can't explain why.

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
lol, you win. Go for it! Also, don't hesitate to convince a couple friends to grab it on Game Pass for cheap, the more firends the better.
Awesome, though I'll probably be getting this on Steam rather than Xbox, even though I suspect that the product was promoted heavily by Microsoft, correct? Anyways, thanks for the summary on the game. You've convinced me.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Awesome, though I'll probably be getting this on Steam rather than Xbox, even though I suspect that the product was promoted heavily by Microsoft, correct? Anyways, thanks for the summary on the game. You've convinced me.

No prob, it sounds like you'll have a great time since you seem to love Sailing. Sailing the open waters/ship play is probably the greatest part of the game, and Steam will likely be a great place to play it. Heck, if you want an experienced person or two to sail with, feel free to send me a PM. I can't always play, but the wife and I are always looking for good people to hop on with (it's crossplay, so it doesn't matter if you are on Steam, Xbox, or Game Pass).

jobbe1978

Jan 18, 2018
Italy

So you started this game after 2 years it was initially released? Holy smokes! You lost all the story behind it, the lore and the events. I was there, back in 2018 and I was extremely skeptical but this game somehow hooked me and it's the only game I now dare to play on a daily basis :)

Good to know that you're liking it, you're gonna see some new plot twists soon!

For your reference: always been a single player game guy, but this game gave me something magical :)

OP
OP
Gestault

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
"Hell yeah" to this update, as the rankings jumped in the last 10 minutes or so:

Last edited:

Strittles

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's so surreal seeing a Microsoft first party game and a Sony first party game topping the steam sales.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
People were so sure Rare would be shuttered earlier this gen. Thank god they were finally given a chance to shine. Couldn't have happened to a more talented studio

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017

If you break Sea of Thieves down to its components most of them are passable at best. It's mechanically shallow and on the whole a bit clunky. The combat mechanics were and are the lowest point which is a major shame because fighting skeletons is one of the most common activities in the game, and because while ship combat is quite strong, it's hard to finish a PvP battle without killing your enemies face to face. With both melee and gun combat it feels like Rare developed things without serious reference to contemporary games that do those aspects so well. In an era where a lot of genres of game consistently do combat well, Sea of Thieves is a painful outlier. It's not just the shooting and slashing, the enemy variety and AI is extremely lacklustre.

The sailing mechanics are much stronger. There's a lot of stuff here that you just don't find in other games. Maneuvering the ship is awkward but satisfying. Navigating through map and compass and, frankly, a lot of yelling over mics, is great fun. Manipulating sails to catch the wind to maximise speed can be the difference between life and death. In combat there's much more with repairing, bailing, loading and firing the cannons, as well as newer elements like the harpoon that have been added since launch. My only real criticism of the on-ship gameplay is that there isn't quite enough to do, at least outside of combat. Once you get the core mechanics down the reality of Sea of Thieves is a lot of downtime. Some individual mechanics are a bit dull too, there's a lot of "hold button down for many seconds".

Aside from the sailing I always appreciated how non-gamey Sea of Thieves is. There's something about searching for buried treasure using a map, a compass, a lantern and a shovel, trying to figure it out based on obsevation and communication that is very fresh. It's simple... but Sea of Thieves finds the joy in simple, organic mechanics. The major downside on this front is that objects don't scale much in terms of challenge or complexity. They'll throw more enemies at you, or ask you to gather more and more stuff, but it doesn't evolve pleasingly in my opinion.

There are a couple of areas where Sea of Thieves is truly phenomenal. The water tech, the weather effects and time-of-day shifts are stunningly beautiful and meaningful in gameplay. You wouldn't call the game a technical powerhouse, but in areas it's stunning.

Other than combat my biggest criticism of the game is the progression. There is something to be said about the way Sea of Thieves doesn't feature vertical progression such that you can jump in now and still be dealing with a level playing field. But the lack of progression in other respects is a problem when it comes to longevity. There isn't much about the game that means your 50th hour with the game will differ from the first. Mission structure doesn't evolve, additional options don't unlock, and most aspects of gameplay don't have much depth to master. For some people what is there is fine and engaging over a long period, but a lot of people will run out of steam fairly quickly once the unique content dries up and repetition is the only thing left.

Even so, when you put it all together.. Sea of Thieves has an X-Factor. It's a game where things rarely go to plan and the cascade of consequences that play out when you're carrying out what seem like mundane tasks lead to truly memorable moments that are completely your own. In that particular respect there's nothing like it. Not every session will be so memorable, but if you have a good group to play with the fun times will come.

When Sea of Thieves came out the response was pretty negative. It sits below 70 on Metacritic. It deserves somewhat more now that it has been improved and added to in various ways. The addition of Tall Tales gives the game the kind of bespoke content it was sorely missing initially, even if the game still relies too heavily on procedural content which quickly gives up its secrets. Skeleton ships and the megaladon add threat in the waters. Fog adds another dimension to the weather mechanics. The extensions to the map add new mechanics and threats that are missing from the relatively plain original parts. Still, it's a real mixed bag. At times it's brilliant and unique, a true 10/10. At other times it's every bit the 5-6-7/10 critics denounced it as back when it launched. It's a game that could be massively improved, and a game with ridiculous potential that has only partially been realised. Its burgeoning popularity could be the tip of the iceberg for Sea of Thieves as a franchise. It's grown into a big game, but it could be a behemoth. Perhaps we'll need a Sea of Thieves 2 for that, because while Rare have added a lot to Sea of Thieves since launch they haven't overhauled much.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gestault

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
People were so sure Rare would be shuttered earlier this gen. Thank god they were finally given a chance to shine. Couldn't have happened to a more talented studio

I'm a big Viva Pinata fan, so last gen was pretty peachy for me, but I was surprised at the (successful) sales figures for both of the Kinect Sports titles. If I had to guess, they've been financially safe for a while. That said, having creative output itself get this kind of recognition is great to see.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Is Sea of Thieves Microsoft's biggest hit of the Xbox One generation?
I can't think of a bigger game for them, not even Halo/Gears/Forza.
Forza Horizon is the most successful franchise imo, because FH3 had more than 10m accounts and was never on gamepass and FH4 had 12 million players in 2019.
It really is. I don't think it has the legs that Sea of Thieves has, though.
Forza Horizon 4 is still to this day in the UK charts. Haven't checked other charts like NPD.

OP
OP
Gestault

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Update as of this morning: SoT is back to the #1 slot, and Satisfactory moves up as well.

Kpas1Mb.png

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
Such a cool success! I hope they'll give an update on the number of players during the event. SoT might have crossed 13+ million players by now!

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
That satisfactory might be my type of game (though HZD and SoT are also). Had anyone played it? How much is it like a tycoon game?

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Just checked still there. That is incredible.. wth.. wow. It's not only been at the top, it has absolutely killed it at the top this whole time. I wonder if Horizon will get another boost once the game is out and reviews start getting posted. Just want to reiterate how absolutely crazy that a MS 1st party game and a Sony 1st party game are #1 and #2 right now on Steam, in the middle of sale - both without discounts (though fairly new releases both).

That satisfactory might be my type of game (though HZD and SoT are also). Had anyone played it? How much is it like a tycoon game?
You can check out Vinny playing it, if you have Giant Bomb. He makes it look fun. It's one of those automation builder games. So less like a tycoon/sim game and more like a survival game with conveyor belts. It's a bit more granular in some ways than a god game. But that said, there is a ton of management in here, if you want to keep track of a ton of variables at once and make sure you can tune and optimize everything you do.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
You can check out Vinny playing it, if you have Giant Bomb. He makes it look fun. It's one of those automation builder games. So less like a tycoon/sim game and more like a survival game with conveyor belts. It's a bit more granular in some ways than a god game. But that said, there is a ton of management in here, if you want to keep track of a ton of variables at once and make sure you can tune and optimize everything you do.

Thanks I'll see what I can find.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
No surprise it has topped the latest Weekly Top Sellers list, which was published roughly 14 hours ago:

Horizon coming in at #7 after barely two days is equally impressive, though I suppose not terribly surprising given how quickly it rose to top of the live Global Top Sellers list and the fact it has dropped only one spot since.

Last edited:

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
No surprise it has topped the latest Weekly Top Sellers list, which was published roughly 14 hours ago:

Horizon coming in at #7 after barely two days is equally impressive, though I suppose not terribly surprising given how quickly it rose to top of the live Top Sellers list and the fact it has dropped only one spot since.
Has it stayed at the top each week the whole month? Or is it still going up and down?

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Update as of this morning: SoT is back to the #1 slot, and Satisfactory moves up as well.

Kpas1Mb.png

Very impressive figures. That Microsoft and Sony first party titles are best sellers on Steam is still surreal given recent history, especially with all the EA games also appearing on the list. Great times for PC gamers.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Just checked still there. That is incredible.. wth.. wow. It's not only been at the top, it has absolutely killed it at the top this whole time. I wonder if Horizon will get another boost once the game is out and reviews start getting posted. Just want to reiterate how absolutely crazy that a MS 1st party game and a Sony 1st party game are #1 and #2 right now on Steam, in the middle of sale - both without discounts (though fairly new releases both).
Thing is, unlike HZD, Sea of Thieves has already been available on PC since day one, just not on Steam.

Shows the power of Steam as a platform in itself.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Horizon coming in at #7 after barely two days is equally impressive, though I suppose not terribly surprising given how quickly it rose to top of the live Global Top Sellers list and the fact it has dropped only one spot since.

HZD was/is? also selling for as low as $7 depending on regional pricing and price errors. It will probably drop like a rock as the price continually gets adjusted.

Seeing long existing Gamepass games sell for MSRP on another launcher platform is somewhat surreal.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
HZD was/is? also selling for as low as $7 depending on regional pricing and price errors. It will probably drop like a rock as the price continually gets adjusted.

Seeing long existing Gamepass games sell for MSRP on another launcher platform is somewhat surreal.

Valve's Top Sellers lists are ordered by revenue, not per-unit sales. Also, the ARS and RUB prices for the game were adjusted only ~two hours after pre-orders went live, which suggests they were never supposed to be so "low" in the first place (especially as Valve made some changes to Steam's checkout system last September that all but stamped out cross-region purchasing), which itself suggests the current prices won't change, as the game has been pre-purchasable for a few days now.

Sony wouldn't be the first developer/publisher to eschew Valve's recommended currency conversions because of concerns or tales of higher-than-expected sales. But we're closing in on a year since Valve began taking cross-region purchasing very seriously, so, oh, I don't know... maybe games that formerly used Valve's recommended pricing were selling well in Argentina because Argentinian users could actually afford them.

Last edited:

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you guys get lucky you can catch some of the bigger SoT streamers (Pace, Summit (if he plays SoT), Freemasonlive, etc ) put on hilarious thieving displays. Their entire way to play is to hid and steal from people. It can generate some really fun content.

OP
OP
Gestault

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
The top three sellers being the Valve Index VR kit, Halo MCC, and Sea of Thieves right now is wild. Which presumably means Valve got some solid stock of the Index headsets. They had been supply-constrained for a while, even though they showed up pretty high in the rankings.

HoA0sjJ.png

Last edited: