• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
We're all sitting here laughing at this brilliant troll, but I'm crying here on the inside because this is probably the best thing we'll ever see in regards to Banjo. :(

Curious as to how you'd have them rework the combat system?
I honestly don't know, the combat just doesn't feel good to me.

It seems like every time I play arena with my crew, there is always one guy that can solo board our ship and spawn camp us. We all get so frustrated and stop playing.

We aren't bad gamers. Maybe we are missing something crucial to combat, I've watched videos to try and figure it out but I've made no progress.

CarlSagan94

Nov 3, 2018
Son of a....

Lol

There's this
how-to-get-the-banjo-kazooie-ship-in-sea-of-thieves.jpg

Not gonna lie this looks awesome !

arimanius

Oct 27, 2017
It's amazing how much stuff they have added to the game. I really need to jump back in it's been a long time since I've played last.

Jun 26, 2018

It seems like every time I play arena with my crew, there is always one guy that can solo board our ship and spawn camp us. We all get so frustrated and stop playing.

We aren't bad gamers. Maybe we are missing something crucial to combat, I've watched videos to try and figure it out but I've made no progress.

I'm with you, I gave the game a solid try and it was honestly one of the most unrewarding experiences I've ever tried... even just combat against NPC's was so bad and limited it would honestly be more fun to go kick rocks.

CalamityPixel

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad Rare are back to this kind of humour.

I do have high hopes of a new Banjo game, obviously it wont be by Rare.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
CTRL+F PvE mode

-sigh-

i really just want to cruise the seas peacefully with buddies. My crew wants it sooooooo bad
Same. This (and the fact this is keeping any of my friends from even trying the game), rather than the more sandbox nature of the game, is what's mainly keeping me from really getting into it. I've literally never won a PvP confrontation in this game and playing in a state of constant anxiety that I might be jumped at any moment isn't fun.

But LOL at the banjo thing. I appreciate the humo(u)r.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA

The progression in SoT is purely experiential and videos might not go over what you'd really need. One guy can solo board and spawn camp you not necessarily because the combat is bad but because you haven't had the experience of fending off boarders successfully multiple times. First is the audio cues that someone is in the water (swimming noise, a mermaid popping or an on-the-ladder noise) or fired from a cannon (cannonballs, players, and pets all sound different). Second is the weapon choice for the encounter—if you don't know the weapon cooldowns or how to escape a stunlock you're going to have a problem. If you're firing off blunderbuss shots from a distance you are doing basically no damage. Third is a crew that comes back from the ferry of the damned one at a time is basically lining up single-file to get camped. Going back in pairs or as a full crew gives you at least a manpower advantage in a situation where you've been boarded.

Then of course there's maneuvering your ship to specifically not be in boardable situations or have a lookout that could take off solo if needed. There are lots of little things that can give even one other experienced player a large upper hand in PVP.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm with you, I gave the game a solid try and it was honestly one of the most unrewarding experiences I've ever tried... even just combat against NPC's was so bad and limited it would honestly be more fun to go kick rocks.
Agreed, the combat really turns me off the game. As much fun can be had it's all a distraction from the meat of the game for me, melee feels weightless and hit detection is horrible. Hope they address this with the sequel. Need more then just skeletons too.

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like all the updates after Shores of Gold failed to add anything new and meaningful to the game. The game only gets broader but not deeper.

CalamityPixel

Oct 27, 2017
What makes you so sure it wouldn't be by Rare?

I mean, I know they've been outsourcing things like KI and Battletoads lately, but I feel like Banjo is an IP that Rare would want to work on themselves. It's their most iconic one.
As far as I know they are probably gonna stick with MP games, from what the studio is like internally it looks like they have a focus on players playing together and making stories together. I'd be happily surprised if they themselves would be working on anything Singleplayer.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played substantially since before the Anniversary Update, and I'm trying to hop back in now, but I'm noticing my graphical performance has taken a significant hit on my PC which is only 9 months old atm. Did something happen in some update to cause this? Is there a setting I'm not seeing that got added and flipped on? Used to run flawlessly on Mythical, but now whenever I log in I see tons of fps loss and skippy animations.