• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CalamityPixel

Oct 27, 2017
https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2018/03/28/community-thank-you-sea-of-thieves/

The worldwide excitement for Sea of Thieves has made it the fastest-selling first-party new IP of this generation. Having witnessed more than a million players on launch day, our community continues to grow and now has more than two million players. Alongside this, Sea of Thieves is already the best-selling Microsoft Studios first-party title on Windows 10.

Worth noting MS considers things like Quantum Break first party even though it isn't by a first party studio. It'll also be interesting to see how Gamepass has contributed to the overall player count.

More than 100,000 players have streamed Sea of Thieves since launch, resulting in more than 10 million hours watched in the last week. Thank you to all the content creators and community who have streamed Sea of Thieves and entertained viewers with their creativity and sense of fun as it jumped into the number one slot on Twitch and Mixer several times this past week.

More than half of a million new Xbox Live friendships have been forged to date and over 400,000 players have joined an Xbox Club to find pirates to share stories with.

They also said this:

We know the response has led to some scale challenges and exposed some bugs we have addressed and will continue to address. Please know that the team at Rare is working hard to tackle any player-impacting issues and this is our number one priority.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
You should also bold the fact that they have over 2 million players now because that's significant when you consider they only had 1 million on launch.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Good stats all round here. Glad to see the game have a strong start. Was a great idea to launch this and future MS titles with gamepass.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
As barebones as the game seems to be, I can only hope that Microsoft gives Rare enough time to fix its apparent flaws so Sea of Thieves could eventually be considered a great game. The framework is there.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Congrats to them for taking a big risk. The game got into some controversy, but it's nice to see that the risk (kinda) payed off.

GTSweet

Oct 27, 2017
Atlanta, GA
That's pretty damn successful launch. Now to retain a healthy population moving forward is the trick.

I'm hooked, but not sure how long other people may be without some tantalizing upcoming stuff.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats to Rare! Playing Sea of Thieves with my friends has been some of the best online multiplayer I've had in years.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
anigif_enhanced-17436-1460715403-2.gif

Let the Downplay Games begiiiiiin!

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
YAAAASSSSS!

Man this is great!!!! Using the 22k as guestimate from PAL charts was absolutely meaningless as mentioned.

So happy for Rare!! Now lets get some varied content in there

And LOL @ "Rare is done" claims

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if it was still the fastest selling even without Gamepass inflating the numbers. Cant really think of any other big new IPs from MS this gen.

Strittles

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This makes me so happy for Rare. I know the game has it's rough spots but it's great to see something so new and unique from Rare find success. I remember how convinced people were that this game was going to bomb hard, myself included.

Welcome back, Rare!

Sangetsu-II

Oct 26, 2017
Wait 2 million is their best selling IP this whole gen?

Am I reading that right? So Ryse, Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive, Recore, etc...Haven't pass 2 million?
That can't be right?

Edit: On PC

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
YAAAASSSSS!

Man this is great!!!! Using the 22k as guestimate from PAL charts was absolutely meaningless as mentioned.

So happy for Rare!! Now lets get some varied content in there

And LOL @ "Rare is done" claims
lets be fare , we don't know how much it has sold. we know about unique players but not the raw copies sold number. two very different things.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Hope Microsoft keep being supportive and proud of SoT all the way. Game really needs this safeline to get all its content on the board.

Horizon is not a new IP

i think he means Horizon Zero Dawn, not Forza Horizon

Does this mean Rare is dead? ;) Congrats to Rare, they made a fun, good game.

of course, angry joe gave it a 4
microsoft is taking the chains and the locks to the UK as we speak

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
Nice. Any estimates on the sales? It's clear the game is very popular right now. Now MS needs to turn that into a profit.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Curious to know what percentage of those 2 million "sales" are on Game Pass trials.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Great news. Just keep things updating Rare and I am sure the community will rally around it. The longer they take, the more SoT will suffer, so get to work!

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
lets be fare , we don't know how much it has sold. we know about unique players but not the raw copies sold number. two very different things.
they'll never release that number.

The only reason why I even consider playing SOT is cause its on Gamepass (which seems to be doing its thing; glad it exists).

Edit: just want to add, for a game like this it doesn't madder how much it sold, it madders how many people got their hands on it so its a great success for Rare imo.

PurelyChris

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Germany
If you think this has done well, just wait for Crackdown 3. Sale or not, that game is going to be massive with Gamepass. I've got myself a 12-month sub and my body is ready!!!

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What are Microsoft's other IPs for this generation? Serious question. I can think of Ori (and maybe Sunset Overdrive?), but I'm drawing a blank otherwise. Anyway, I hope the game hangs in there until more content rolls out. It can really shape into something special if it gets the attention it needs.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am being fair, the sale numbers are meaningless as its user count that MS/Rare deem as a metric for success. And @ 2million players, its inconceivable to believe 22k retail sales is a meaningful representation of the games popularity or sales performance in UK.