• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ARC-2R

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
You can sink hundreds of hours into any activity. That means absolutely nothing. And i have nothing against social or MP gaming. But knowingly launching with a lack of game content after promises and assurances of more, and half baked development cycles arent good for anyone. especially when its not even under the guise of early access or a reduced price.

Your not a PR firm, stop acting like it.

Sure you can, but that people seem to be choosing to do so for this game isn't meaningless. As far as this lack of content, we don't even know yet what all content is actually in the game, because content that's not available to all at the start doesn't equal content that doesn't exist. Besides that, as much as content has become a talking point for people talking this game down, there IS content, it may not be what you're looking for in a game personally but the PVP element of the game and the time spent by players enjoying it IS content, and a lot of work went into making it the enjoyable affair so many of us find it to be.

As far as the price, it remains to be seen what the 60 dollars actually gets us so its premature to judge its value against the 60, particularly as there were options for those who weren't comfortable betting on support for this game with their 60 bucks.

You don't speak for all gamers, stop acting like it.

ARC-2R

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
User Banned (3 Days): A pattern of hostility and personal attacks.
I don't think about you at all, actually, thanks. I was just pointing out that your post doesn't make logical sense. Maybe you worded it badly? Who knows?

Nah, its pretty simple, and it makes perfect sense when you read it correctly. Why don't you just skip to reporting me again like you did when my nickname for Fortnite got your panties in a bunch?

Oct 27, 2017
True, but with gamepass its a valid question. Before gamepass when it could be slightly inflated only by multiple accounts or account sharing that was a small enough number to not he significant. But adding gamepass to that, especially when its free for most people can change that number significantly.

I'm sure it's been mentioned, but Mr Greenberg clarified it does not include Gamepass numbers only retail and digital.

He also said a 500k increase in gold subscriptions.

I'm glad it's doing well, it's lots of fun. And it's worth mentioning that the patch has removed the screen tearing too.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Nah, its pretty simple, and it makes perfect sense when you read it correctly. Why don't you just skip to reporting me again like you did when my nickname for Fortnite got your panties in a bunch?

I didn't report you. If you felt like your banning was unjustified, take it up with moderation, not me. Thank you.

Nov 12, 2017
I have no idea why you've listed some PS exclusives as a retort, especially relatively niche ones at that, but Bloodborne sold 389k in its first NPD month, which is double what Quantum Break did in its first two...
Retort???? I toke bloodborne coz was the first exclusive after some bad ones ps4 users were hungry and the devs behind it were pretty importants just like rare and Ms situation.. mm...the point is that I'm sure that SoT also being still pretty barebone sold in that range ..that I think is good also 2 millions of players in one week is really really good

Last edited:

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
They acknowledge the mixed reviews in the last video. I'm sure they are very aware of the criticism.
That's good to hear. Rare knows what they need to do now.

No their IP the bar is Quantum Break.

Your mistaken is hasn't. 2 million user have played it including gamepass subscriber. We don't know how much it sold but it is outpacing Quantum Break.
How much did QB sold LTD?

hexanaut

Dec 6, 2017
Game is fantastic and they just need to listen to player feedback and release a content roadmap.

EBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Single player games are much like a commodity at this point. There are hundreds of releases each month, the experience is often, but not always, fully realized at launch. There is a certified value proposition in determining the time it took to play through all the content, the variation in the types of content experienced, and the cost to acquire the game. In evaluating commodities, it makes sense to evaluate a game in how it compares to other options because if the value proposition is poor for a game, there are so many other replacement options that it make sense to choose an experience that provides more value.

Coop experiences like SoT are far more unique in the market right now. Reviews by journalists and people in this thread that are dissapointed in the value proposition and their argued lack of content seem to imply that money would be better spent on a competing experience that offered more value; however, for cooperative MP, the amount of competing experiences is so small, there is no obvious replacement experience to substitute for a competing cooperative experience. Destiny is another example of this. The game gets a ton of grief for various systems, but it remains popular because competing Destiny experiences aren't readily available on the market.

For a more nascent gaming genre, it's possible, even likely, that the creation of a compelling cooperative gaming experience is FAR more important in judging a title's success than the amount of content, as creation of that unique experience carries more inherent risk, and is foundation for more publisher/developer reward. Many reviews of this game seem to support that the creation of the cooperative pirate experience in SoT is fun, and there is a foundation for even more compelling experiences going forward. For this genre, where there are far fewer comparable experiences, why isn't this enough? Why does a game seeking to create a new type of cooperative experience need to be judged on metrics catering to a fully developed commodity genre.

It's possible that 5-10 years in the future where this genre is more fully fleshed out with options and choices, critiques such as those levied at Sea of Thieves this week would have validity as gamers could choose richer existing experiences over what Sea of Thieves has to offer, but until those experiences exists, claiming I should play God of War over Sea of Thieves because its a better value proposition is disingenuous for those of us who aren't looking for that experience.

SirVilhelm

Oct 27, 2017
Good job on Rare, I am enjoying the game and it's non progressive system.

I'm another note, will we continue to see gamepass being the scape goat for every new MS release? I wonder what percentage of active users burned through their free preview on this game and if it'll effect the next gamepass game numbers.

TyGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Single player games are much like a commodity at this point. There are hundreds of releases each month, the experience is often, but not always, fully realized at launch. There is a certified value proposition in determining the time it took to play through all the content, the variation in the types of content experienced, and the cost to acquire the game. In evaluating commodities, it makes sense to evaluate a game in how it compares to other options because if the value proposition is poor for a game, there are so many other replacement options that it make sense to choose an experience that provides more value.

Coop experiences like SoT are far more unique in the market right now. Reviews by journalists and people in this thread that are dissapointed in the value proposition and their argued lack of content seem to imply that money would be better spent on a competing experience that offered more value; however, for cooperative MP, the amount of competing experiences is so small, there is no obvious replacement experience to substitute for a competing cooperative experience. Destiny is another example of this. The game gets a ton of grief for various systems, but it remains popular because competing Destiny experiences aren't readily available on the market.

For a more nascent gaming genre, it's possible, even likely, that the creation of a compelling cooperative gaming experience is FAR more important in judging a title's success than the amount of content, as creation of that unique experience carries more inherent risk, and is foundation for more publisher/developer reward. Many reviews of this game seem to support that the creation of the cooperative pirate experience in SoT is fun, and there is a foundation for even more compelling experiences going forward. For this genre, where there are far fewer comparable experiences, why isn't this enough? Why does a game seeking to create a new type of cooperative experience need to be judged on metrics catering to a fully developed commodity genre.

It's possible that 5-10 years in the future where this genre is more fully fleshed out with options and choices, critiques such as those levied at Sea of Thieves this week would have validity as gamers could choose richer existing experiences over what Sea of Thieves has to offer, but until those experiences exists, claiming I should play God of War over Sea of Thieves because its a better value proposition is disingenuous for those of us who aren't looking for that experience.
100 % this. Great post.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure it's been mentioned, but Mr Greenberg clarified it does not include Gamepass numbers only retail and digital.

He also said a 500k increase in gold subscriptions.

I'm glad it's doing well, it's lots of fun. And it's worth mentioning that the patch has removed the screen tearing too.

Wow! In that case, thats excellent! Nice job!

Rocco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Good job on Rare, I am enjoying the game and it's non progressive system.

I'm another note, will we continue to see gamepass being the scape goat for every new MS release? I wonder what percentage of active users burned through their free preview on this game and if it'll effect the next gamepass game numbers.

SoT was the wild card. SoD2 is an actual anticipated, acclaimed follow up. Gamepass will be fine.

Last edited:

SirVilhelm

Oct 27, 2017
SoT was the wild card. SoD is an actual, anticipated, acclaimed follow up. Gamepass will be fine.

Oh I am sure it will. What I am saying is if the next game gets just as high numbers will there still be a base of people who try to discount it as "just people using a free service" when in fact a very large population had blown out their free trial

If that makes any sense

ARC-2R

Banned
Jan 11, 2018

Well stated, nailed it, in fact.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
This is the whole; "Gamers are stupid and even if they're having fun they need to be reminded its a bad game" thing.

Or perhaps they are concerned that so many people are accepting a €70 game with so little content? At least that's the only issue I'm having with Sea of Thieves. Other devs and publishers will definitely take note of this.

Deleted member 6733

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I wish we could like or favourite posts here. You've pretty much nailed what I've been trying (and probably been failing) to say since launch day.

Like I said earlier, if momentum is kept on the engagement numbers so far, that would suggest that most game reviewers are just out of touch and completely miss the point.

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
Awesome to hear, great news for Rare and Microsoft Studios. Really looking forward to how this game will evolve over the course of the next decade, and I have high hopes that the modular parts of Sea of Thieves get frequent changes :)

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Everyone and their mothers are doing multiplayer games and someone here is arguing they are unique.

Droyd

Mar 1, 2018

This 100%. After playing SoT I can now relate to Destiny players. Lots of threads filled with issues/complaints, but it's unique/fun gameplay outweighs most criticisms, helped by a lack of other options. I appreciate that Rare have tried something new, and forgive any immediate shortfalls

Oct 28, 2017
If there is one thing this game proves to me is that gamers have been conditioned very well and the medium as an art form is constrained by that conditioning. Good on Rare for trying something new. It is the only way to move the medium forward and prevent a state of stagnation.

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
Everyone and their mothers are doing multiplayer games and someone here is arguing they are unique.
Well in the case of Sea of Thieves, it is a unique multiplayer experience. As a matter of fact there are a lot of multiplayer games attempting to make their experiences unique.

I think it'd be a bit more fair if you quoted the person you're mentioning.

Nope, I won! :P

But seriously, what do you mean?

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Well in the case of Sea of Thieves, it is a unique multiplayer experience. As a matter of fact there are a lot of multiplayer games attempting to make their experiences unique.

I think it'd be a bit more fair if you quoted the person you're mentioning.

What is your current Sea of Thieves alternative for a similar experience?
I guess it depends on what do you mean by the experience? If it's the setting then sure, there aren't many pirate games, however, if you just mean playing together with friends then any multiplayer game will fit the bill.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Fastest selling new IP across the board or fastest selling new MS IP?

The title makes it seem like MS but the text makes it sounds across the board.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Sure if we can categorize all games with an online component as the same.

It's as absurd as saying everyone and their mothers are doing videogames, what makes any of them unique?

Nope, I won! :P

But seriously, what do you mean?

Early Access perhaps?

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
cool, i was under the impression people werent liking it.

If ResetEra could be taken seriously as the majority opinion on something then you would not be wrong in thinking that. Thankfully most people are actually enjoying the game then spamming hot takes on a forum concerning a game they have no interest in. The "old site" was just as wrong on many occasion concerning games but that never stopped them from having their hot takes competition.