• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
you don't need to check this weeks charts to prove DS doesn't have legs, the last few weeks have proved that. it had noticeably shorter legs compared to the past several SIE flagship titles like gow, horizon, uncharted 4, days gone, spiderman, etc.

GreenEarth

alt account
Banned
Oct 24, 2019
Wait, others just have outpaced it in terms of sales during BF. The article itself used "plummeted" to place 33, these are not my words. It was even bundled with Spiderman, the hottest bundle from last year and of the most successful bundles Sony ever had.
I really don't know what is to defend here, to be honest.
"Rose significantly in sales week-on-week" is quite an important part of that sentence to completely omit. Then posting a deal from https://www.monster-shop.co.uk/
that nobody has ever heard of and conclude it should have done better than games that actually had marketed Black Friday deals.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Ah, excellent. So it is a fair comparison between the three. The split between the three seems about right considering the install base differences.
Last number for Switch hardware we got was 1.6 million in December 2018, taking that into mind that's pretty good software sales but also not surprising considering the games released this year, will be interesting to see if Switch can actually overtake current gen consoles next year.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Sword Shield sales were 191k first week, 63k-65k second week, and 59k-60k third week. Total sales (without digital and double pack for weeks 2 and 3) = 313k-316k.

After three weeks, XY was at roughly 182k. Sun Moon was at < 364k after two weeks ( but can't find third week drops for those games)

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Oct 26, 2017
I agree on the latter, but DS won't have legs. It's collapse in the UK charts is proof enough of that.
That's essentially what I'm saying.

But the only contemporary thing that DS has dropped behind this week is Ring Fit Adventure, as far as I can tell.
* Borderlands 3 is between them, but that had disappeared from the top 40 a couple of weeks ago.

Last edited:

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
"Rose significantly in sales week-on-week" is quite an important part of that sentence to completely omit. Then posting a deal from https://www.monster-shop.co.uk/
that nobody has ever heard of and conclude it should have done better than games that actually had marketed Black Friday deals.
I provided more links, why omit that? Anyway, I already agreed that it rose, probably due to deals and bundles. It's just that other games benefited more than DS, 32 games sold better at BF week. It is what it is in terms of data.

Deleted member 1726

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, others just have outpaced it in terms of sales during BF. The article itself used "plummeted" to place 33, these are not my words. It was even bundled with Spiderman, the hottest bundle from last year and of the most successful bundles Sony ever had.
I really don't know what is to defend here, to be honest.

you can't say anything negative about Death Stranding, it's not allowed.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I find it a little bit ironic to see so strong Xbox physical sales while MS is pushing gamepass and the "all digital" edition :)

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
Pretty good legs for Star Wars isn't it?

Regarding SoT, I found funny for the since the last update SoT has been above games like Gears 5. Warframe or MK11 on Most Played on Xbox, and catching up with pretty new games like Borderlands 3, still people on era aren't able to believe the game can have more than 1 million MaU, and that was before Black Friday bundles effect.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I find it a little bit ironic to see so strong Xbox physical sales while MS is pushing gamepass and the "all digital" edition :)
are these physical sales for SoT? i thought they were digital copies bundled with the all-digital edition of xbox one s, the one that can't play physical discs.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK

Regarding SoT, I found funny for the since the last update SoT has been above games like Gears 5. Warframe or MK11 on Most Played on Xbox, and catching up with pretty new games like Borderlands 3, still people on era aren't able to believe the game can have more than 1 million MaU, and that was before Black Friday bundles effect.

Sea of thieves has been a gigantic success for ms. Its just certain posters cant accept that.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wasn't the XB1 SAD bundled with like 3 games? If the system sold 60k, that's 180k units of the total accounted for. The bundled games could account for a large portion of total physical units sold.
I expected physical sales for Xbox especially to be down a *lot*. It was always said that digital was quite big for Xbox, more than on Playstation (I don't know if that's true though) but with a push of the all digital and especially with gamepass, the yoy change *should* still be less than what it is (or bigger, depends on how you look at it).
Still, yes, the all digital selling so well (how well, though?!) could account for that. Then again, the other systems also had very hot deals.

Mr Delabee

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I thought the SAD bundle only came with SoT, Minecraft AND Forza Horizon 3?
If so where's Forza Horizon 3?

Maybe some retailers where bundling SoT and Minecraft hard copies with other console bundles and not just the SAD edition.

Edit- I kind of answered my own question as I asked the first.

Oct 27, 2017
The World

You are thiking logically...Ahhh the first mistake.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018

Maybe some retailers where bundling SoT and Minecraft hard copies with other console bundles and not just the SAD edition.

I think the SAD bundle with FH3 has been replaced with one with Fortnite instead.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
1.3m sales down 22% YoY, after last year which was down 7.5% over the previous year (2m).

SoT, Minecraft, Fortnite was a bundle I saw a lot - still available all over until end of the day. Will be interesting to see how the SAD is priced from tomorrow onwards.

Wasn't the XB1 SAD bundled with like 3 games? If the system sold 60k, that's 180k units of the total accounted for. The bundled games could account for a large portion of total physical units sold.
xb1 consoles generally do get bundled with multiple games, this BF was no different. ps4 has seen them, too, but this BF there were more single game bundles around. PS.VR is the one to constantly come bundled with multiple games on the Sony side. It'd be nice to get the hardware numbers for the week 'cause some of those ratios posted earlier were wildly inaccurate, and the assumptions made about hadrware sales without any bundle context as a straight 1:1 lacked any thinking.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I expected physical sales for Xbox especially to be down a *lot*. It was always said that digital was quite big for Xbox, more than on Playstation (I don't know if that's true though) but with a push of the all digital and especially with gamepass, the yoy change *should* still be less than what it is (or bigger, depends on how you look at it).
Still, yes, the all digital selling so well (how well, though?!) could account for that. Then again, the other systems also had very hot deals.

This is so interesting considering the narrative being painted on this site is that Xbox software sales are plummeting due to gamepass, yet it is selling just as many physical copies (in ratio) to the PS4 as well as selling gamepass, and is the only company with a digital only Box available for sale.

Surely this is proving that Gamepass is a value add to the platform and is actually helping grow incremental revenue.

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah fortnite bundle would of sold way better. Minecraft, sea of thieves and 2000 v bucks, skins and challenges.

It's gonna sell just off of that. It's the ultimate "what's hot with the kids" bundle.

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
This is so interesting considering the narrative being painted on this site is that Xbox software sales are plummeting due to gamepass, yet it is selling just as many physical copies (in ratio) to the PS4 as well as selling gamepass, and is the only company with a digital only Box available for sale.

Surely this is proving that Gamepass is a value add to the platform and is actually helping grow incremental revenue.
You really can't use black friday week as any indication of some kind of trend. We don't get given software totals in the other weeks, for all we know XB1's physical sales have been really bad outside of BF week. In fact I think when we do get sales splits of games on launch week, its usually more favourable to PS4 than the HW ratio would suggest, XB1 bundles did include more games on average than PS4 and Switch bundles, so I think XB1's software numbers this week are slightly inflated.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Here in the UK SOT was sold with everything. You even got it for free in my local game store when you picked up other games. I'm surprised the PS4 games sold the most. In comparison PS game and console prices were typically higher.

You really can't use black friday week as any indication of some kind of trend. We don't get given software totals in the other weeks, for all we know XB1's physical sales have been really bad outside of BF week. In fact I think when we do get sales splits of games on launch week, its usually more favourable to PS4 than the HW ratio would suggest, XB1 bundles did include more games on average than PS4 and Switch bundles, so I think XB1's software numbers this week are slightly inflated.

This.

Also people forget how price conscious the UK gaming market is. Especially during an election and especially with this Brexit messing up the wider market.

Last edited:

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Sword Shield sales were 191k first week, 63k-65k second week, and 59k-60k third week. Total sales (without digital and double pack for weeks 2 and 3) = 313k-316k.

After three weeks, XY was at roughly 182k. Sun Moon was at < 364k after two weeks ( but can't find third week drops for those games)

That seems really good. Now if only we had digital data ;_;

Feb 10, 2018
The xbox sad deal ain't that good really, I remember I got an OG X1 with quantum break, Alan wake and forza 5 for like £159 back in 2015.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Here in the UK SOT was sold with everything. You even got it for free in my local game store when you picked up other games. I'm surprised the PS4 games sold the most. In comparison PS game and console prices were typically higher.

console prices, perhaps, but there's no data to show that PS game prices were higher.

retailers had extremely cheap deals for HZD, Spider-Man and God of War. And third party games are usually discounted at par.

also, SOT wasn't 'sold with everything' AFAIK.