• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, then it is clear why - bundles for the best selling games in UK for recent years: FIFA and COD.
Mind: bundles are a good thing, objectively, no matter the platform.

No doubt. Bundles are especially appealing for new customers. I'm just pointing out that Sea Of Thieves was included with every BF deal I saw. I'm not disparaging the game by saying it was included with most, if not close to all, the BF deals I saw. Just that it was included.

console prices, perhaps, but there's no data to show that PS game prices were higher.

Console. Which obviously have an impact on software. I'm not talking about the specific price of any given game, more so the amount of units sold. Personally, I thought XBOX software sales would lead the month due to the "consoles" price point and bundles during BF.

In my experience UK BF is not something you can extrapolate any meaning from especially with the much broader, tumultuous, situation we find ourselves in. A situation that is having an adverse effect on our economy.

Side Note: I tried purchasing something from the states and was absolutely shocked by how poor the pound was to the dollar.

At one point I remember £1 = $2.something.

Today: £1 = $1.20

The farcical and most ridiculous thing about this is, we did this to ourselves. On the back of the notion that we need to take our country back from some unknown invader. In fact let me stop before the post gets too political lol

Last edited:

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Console. Which obviously have an impact on software. I'm not talking about the specific price of any given game, more so the amount of units sold. Personally, I thought XBOX software sales would lead the month due to the "consoles" price point and bundles during BF.

In my experience UK BF is not something you can extrapolate any meaning from especially with the much broader, tumultuous, situation that is having an adverse effect on our economy.

You need to give these things more thought. How would you expect retail sales to be higher on the Xbox One when the console sales were largely driven by the SAD model that does not have a disc drive?

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You need to give these things more thought. How would you expect retail sales to be higher on the Xbox One when the console sales were largely driven by the SAD model that does not have a disc drive?

This is false information. It got the biggest discount but there's no evidence that suggests the UK market suddenly turned to that console despite the entire range of XBOX consoles receiving big discounts during the same period.

Also the article makes no mention of digital software sales?

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Games bundled with SAD count in the retail charts. So every bundle sold adds multiple games to the total sales in the OP. But you already knew this.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Exactly, so we agree :)

It depends what you mean by "performing well" though. £99 would mean that Microsoft were making a big loss on each SAD sold and there's no guarantee that gamepass/Xbox Live signups will counter that.

I've worked in retail long enough to know that anything will sell if it's cheap enough.

Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
Sword Shield sales were 191k first week, 63k-65k second week, and 59k-60k third week. Total sales (without digital and double pack for weeks 2 and 3) = 313k-316k.

After three weeks, XY was at roughly 182k. Sun Moon was at < 364k after two weeks ( but can't find third week drops for those games)
With digital it may be 400k+ already. Holy shit.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Some long sea legs SoT has. Fantastic for Rare and MS. Bring on the new stuff!

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
Some of you are too pessimistic.

"Sea of Thieves in such high demand on Black Friday that customers are buying whole consoles just to get their hands on it."

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
It depends what you mean by "performing well" though. £99 would mean that Microsoft were making a big loss on each SAD sold and there's no guarantee that gamepass/Xbox Live signups will counter that.

I've worked in retail long enough to know that anything will sell if it's cheap enough.
How do you know Microsoft were making a "big loss" on every console sold?

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I saw Xbox One bundles with SoT, Minecraft and Fortnite credits go as low as £84, which is absolutely insane value. I'm not surprised SoT got this sort of bump.

Blue Ranger

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Chile/France
xbox an playstation are closer than what i thought un the UK. it bodes well for microsoft going into next gen, if they play their cards well this time around obviously

-girgosz-

Aug 16, 2018
I don't think we know how much an Xbox costs to produce but when you say "big loss" I assume you have data to back it up.

I found an article from 2016. According to them the the cost of producing a 2TB version of Xbox One S was around 325$ in 2016 without any games. The production cost is lower now for sure and SAD doesn't have a disc-drive, it's also 1TB but also has 1st and 3rd party games and content included. A "big loss" is probably a pretty safe statement yeah.

Edit: Just for clarification I wasn't the one who said "big loss" I just replied to you.

Last edited:

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I found an article from 2016. According to them the the cost of producing a 2TB version of Xbox One S was around 325$ in 2016 without any games. The production cost is lower now for sure and SAD doesn't have a disc-drive, it's also 1TB but also has 1st and 3rd party games and content included. A "big loss" is probably a pretty safe statement yeah.

Edit: Just for clarification I wasn't the one who said "big loss" I just replied to you.

Yeeesh, this is not a good example.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Does it really matter if the console is sold at a loss? Yall really try to downplay anything. lol. And yes, it is a downplay.

Good for Rare and the team. I hope it brings more support for Sea of Thieves.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yeeeesh really thoughtful reply you got there. You should probably just accept it that MS is selling 80-100€ consoles with a controller, multiple games and a subscribtion at a big loss until we hear otherwise.

I refuse to believe that MS have been losing over 150 dollars on every xbox one s sold for the last 3 years. The thing has been under £200 for ages.

Cost price on components is ridiculous according to that chart...100 dollars on an apu. that is madness.

-girgosz-

Aug 16, 2018
I refuse to believe that MS have been losing over 150 dollars on every xbox one s sold for the last 3 years. The thing has been under £200 for ages.

I never said it costs that much nowadays. I said it's obviously cheaper now. This is basically MS's tactic for some time now. Cheap consoles with many games and usually multiple controllers with a few months(or a year) of GP thrown in. MS can easily do that to build brand, gain subscribers and install base even at a relatively big loss because gaming is such a small part of the company as of now unlike Sony and Nintendo.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I never said it costs that much nowadays. I said it's obviously cheaper now. This is basically MS's tactic for some time now. Cheap consoles with many games and usually multiple controllers with a few months(or a year) of GP thrown in. MS can easily do that to build brand, gain subscribers and install base even at a relatively big loss because gaming is such a small part of the company as of now unlike Sony and Nintendo.
Why do you get "fire sales" for Amazon Fire devices? Because it's an entry point to the ecosystem. Sony, MS and Nintendo to a certain degree want you to be a monthly paying customer instead of making big money with console sales.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK

Microsoft has created a completely different market for consoles with the work they have done in the last couple of years. Like C0de said, they are stepping into Amazon, google etc service area over anything else. This isn't the cost of a box. Those boxes are built, if they are sat there not selling it gets to the point of pivoting and driving the gamepass ultimate selling point....I mean this will have been the plan all along to be honest. It makes sense from the work they have done.

This is a ser

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Remember when everyone laughed when MS announced the S AD model? Pepperidge Farms remembers