• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Over the last few months, me and a few fellow folks from work have been playing Sea of Thieves during weekends, slowly working our way through the Tall Tales adventures and voyages that were added this year as part of the Anniversary update for the game. To those that don't know, Rare added 9 of these tales, and each one can take anywhere from two to five hours, depending on how lucky or unlucky you are. We were always playing blind and without using any online resources, so every challenge and puzzle was new and fresh to us.

Each one of these tales has been an emotional rollercoaster, with exciting and tense moments, with varying degrees of stress and insanity, traitorous enemies, heartbreaking stupidity on our own part (losing hours of progress by hitting explosive barrels in the ocean, for example), loads of fun and joy, bonding between friends, sharing drinks and stories, talking random stuff about work and real life during moments of calmness, and so on.

Earlier today, we embarked on what was our final journey of these adventures, the 9th tale, to reach and discover the secret island lying in the middle of the mysterious and unreachable Shores of Gold. We started this last voyage at 19:30 and ended it around 23:45. Playing through it, knowing that it was slowly coming to an end, felt very surreal. This last quest required us to break through the shroud that had been keeping the island secret. During the journey there, we were attacked by multiple big megalodons, a couple of krakens, and we had to outrun unfriendly pirates a few times.

The discovery of the island felt very epic. Certain things happen while breaking through the previously unsailable waters. The waters turned red, the sky darkened. Things were happening on the ship, but we finally made it through. Upon reaching the island, we started to get our bearings and learn of the secrets it kept. We climbed upon high mountains, dived into deep caves, lit cursed torches and triggered many traps. But we succeeded and unlocked the doors towards the belly of the island, and thus descended into darkness. After dying many times to random traps, spikes, pits, skeletons and explosives, we reached the end. About 3 hours of puzzles and challenges, from the simplest things that made sense, to the craziest things that didn't. It all came down to one last thing, and we were victorious.

And then the ending story and exposition happened. A cute and lovely wrap-up moment that spoke of the adventures we've been through to reach the end, mentioning memorable moments and characters, voyages we've partaken. It had a lovely soundtrack playing in the background, and as it went on, it kind of hit me. It reminded me of all the hours we spent together on the seas, in stress and intense situations, in fun and laughter, in adventure and discovery. Of all the joy and fun times we had while playing this insane game. In a way, it made me feel quite happy that we had gone through these moments together, yet also rather sad as they were now over.

As we were heading out of the darkness and back into the light, through one final secret path, the music got quite lovely, and as the light finally reached us, I teared up as it was such a beautiful moment. It is something that has not happened to me in a multiplayer game in many, many years. The last one to make me feel very real things was World of Warcraft, as running dungeons and raids with friends was also a surreal experience.

As someone once said: "You'll have quite the tall tale to tell once you make it home." This is mine. :)

Thanks for reading. Maybe this will get you to grab a few friends and go on an adventure together, one that you might remember and treasure for a long time. :)

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Sea of Thieves constantly get's overlooked when people trash Microsoft's exclusives but it's a beautiful and unique game that has gotten better with every update. It's one of my favorite games of the generation and gave me and my friends some of the coolest gaming moments I've ever had. Good read.

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
Sea of thieves is such an incredibly unique game. I really need to jump back in. Havent played since the uodate that added harpoons.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sea of Thieves constantly get's overlooked when people trash Microsoft's exclusives but it's a beautiful and unique game that has gotten better with every update. It's one of my favorite games of the generation and gave me and my friends some of the coolest gaming moments I've ever had. Good read.
game had a pretty bad launch so what do you expect? most people only really pay attention to games when they launch.

k0decraft

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Most slept on MS exclusive. Definitely a gem of game. Bursting with charm and one of my favorite new IPs.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
game had a pretty bad launch so what do you expect? most people only really pay attention to games when they launch.

Yep. This is the truth unfortunately.

First impressions are everything, especially when it comes to video games. Despite the amount of progress the game has made since launch, most people are just going to either remember what they read or felt about the game at launch or they're just going to look at the Metacritic score (which is also a permanent blemish on the game in itself) and nope out.

Hell, it seems like many people still aren't even aware that there have been narrative driven campaigns added to the game. Rare pretty much shot themselves in the foot at launch.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
It's the best multiplayer game I've ever played. So many amazing moments in that game. I wish I was back playing it regularly.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
It's one of my top 10 games of this year.
I'm not as far through the 9 stories as you are but it has been incredibly fun, every time we embarked on another one.

Dec 11, 2017
The Shores of Gold quest in particular is one of the coolest multiplayer experiences I had this generation. Shame that less than 2% of Sea of Thieves players have seen it (going by the achievement).

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. This is the truth unfortunately.

First impressions are everything, especially when it comes to video games. Despite the amount of progress the game has made since launch, most people are just going to either remember what they read or felt about the game at launch or they're just going to look at the Metacritic score (which is also a permanent blemish on the game in itself) and nope out.

Hell, it seems like many people still aren't even aware that there have been narrative driven campaigns added to the game. Rare pretty much shot themselves in the foot at launch.
No Man's Sky has rebounded pretty good and is frequently brought up as a good game now as is the master Chief Collection and now even Battlefront 2 is getting good impressions. I think when a game improves it's pretty obvious and public opinion does tend to reflect that. Sea of Thieves was not a broken mess of a game on launch it was just light on content and was more of a sandbox when people expected more narrative. It's not very hard especially for gaming enthusiasts to realize a game has improved over time.

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Aww yes I'm with you here!
Just recently hit legend and thought about all the adventures i had in getting there.
Ain't nothing out there like it and I'm glad Rare stuck to it after lots of critics boo'd it at the start.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
I believe Rare added a tenth tale a few months back. So your adventure can continue for a few more hours.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
No Man's Sky has rebounded pretty good and is frequently brought up as a good game now as is the master Chief Collection and now even Battlefront 2 is getting good impressions. I think when a game improves it's pretty obvious and public opinion does tend to reflect that. Sea of Thieves was not a broken mess of a game on launch it was just light on content and was more of a sandbox when people expected more narrative. It's not very hard especially for gaming enthusiasts to realize a game has improved over time.

You have a point because the reception towards SoT HAS gotten warmer over the last two years, but I still feel like most SoT threads on Era are either ignored or still have many people that haven't kept up with the game come in to "remind" everyone how much of a "failure" this game is. So it's not like there's been an overwhelming universal turnaround for this game. At least on this site.

But all of that simply could be that this type of game clearly doesn't appeal to the average ResetEra user, so maybe the game receives more appreciation elsewhere on the internet.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
You have a point because the reception towards SoT HAS gotten warmer over the last two years, but I still feel like most SoT threads on Era are either ignored or still have many people that haven't kept up with the game come in to "remind" everyone how much of a "failure" this game is. So it's not like there's been an overwhelming universal turnaround for this game. At least on this site.

But all of that simply could be that this type of game clearly doesn't appeal to the average ResetEra user, so maybe the game receives more appreciation elsewhere on the internet.
That's Era though. Not exactly the crowd for online-only Xbox games.

The Living Tribunal

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Most unique game i have played this gen. I will forever hold dear the memories i made with my now defunct crew.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its given me the best times I've had in a game online since Halo 3. When you get a good crew together and go off on some adventures then Sea of Thieves turns into something truly magical.

My favourite game released this generation, theres just nothing else like it on the market.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Sea of Thieves is my favorite game this gen, and playing it with my wife from the same livong room, was probably one of my favorite gaming experiences I've ever had.

No game has ever given me such high highs, yet such low lows. It's also just been such an exciting past year and a half watching Rare add thoughtful update after thoughtful update. I had an amazing time playing it over the holiday break, the game is just so damn fun now, and there's so much to do. Even after a 4-5 hour session, it's so hard to put down.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I found it so boring that I dozed off while sailing randomly but then I again I played solo and I have no friends to play with

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
The Shores of Gold quest in particular is one of the coolest multiplayer experiences I had this generation. Shame that less than 2% of Sea of Thieves players have seen it (going by the achievement).
Personally, I don't really like those tales. We finished the nine quests last summer, but even if there was some memorable moments, a long journey like this isn't what I want in Sea of Thieves.

For me, the most important thing in Sea of Thieves is when you see other players. The fear because you don't know if they are friendly or not, the pleasure if you can forge an alliance with them... and the pleasure if you can't and you sink their ship. Quests are just a reason so be there, so it shouldn't be too elaborate for me.

Furthermore, bosses in those Tales are awful. They have to much HP and you don't even know if what you do is good or not.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I need to play this again after all of the updates.

My most memorable time playing was a day I was really ill and mostly couchbound. I decided to fire this game up and explore, appreciate the environment, and familiarize myself with the islands. Around an hour into the session I spotted a ship on the horizon heading straight for me. I led them on a very long chase all about the sea, getting lucky with wind changes and close calls nears rocks many times.

The chase concluded when another large pirate ship engaged them and I sailed off into the sunset.

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
I still need to tackle the Tall Talee with my friends. We mostly screw around in adventure.
We've gotta take out Shpeshal Ed and show him why the game is actually the best game of the generation... 😉

elenarie - great little read - I too have extremely fond memories of my time on the Sea of Thieves. When my pals and I did the Tall Tales we were constantly pursued by a crew of nearly equal skill and they were our own personal villain of our story. It just worked narratively in such a unique and exciting way, it felt like the Goonies as we raced to be first to the treasure.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really want Series X to run the game at a silly smooth 4K/60 or higher. Its gorgeous.

1X is 4K/30 right? Yeah, 60 would be amazing, but might be tricky with animations and such depending on how they did it. UE4, though, so should be straightforward.

Edit:
4K/60 with RT........I'll be in my bunk.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
There really isn't anything like it. SoT launched rough on a reviled system and has improved exponentially. I know people are mad it's not a single player game but it's come so far and when you are just sailing in between objectives and hostile players it's so peaceful. I love how it goes from tranquil to tense in seconds when other players or the kraken shows up.

Oct 27, 2017
Some of the best 10 hours of multiplayer adventures.

After that, once you figure everything out, it becomes highly predictable and tedious.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Rare's return to form, Best played with a group of friends. As with No Man's Sky, it's outlived it's critics.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Sea of thieves brought the concept of deliveries and take care of them in an open world full of danger.

Underrated.

Most innovating AAA game in this generation.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Beautiful write up. I've knocked out two tales since they were added - and it's exactly what everyone in my crew wanted from the game at launch - but just that was a draining task for my crew of 3-4, after they've been burnt out from 100 hours of playing the game in the launch year. We occasionally have the time, but it's hard for the collective to get psyched up to commit the 2.5-4 hours uninterrupted it takes to complete each tale when we can play something more casual and broken up with that time. I'm definitely the one most interested in the game.

I know this might be the antithesis of what a Sea of Thieves session is supposed to be like, but I'd love to save my progress on the tales. A Halo "Rally Point" maybe.

Ain't nothing like this game when you find some Sea of Friends during a tale too (we had some help on the first boss from a hilarious, generous solo slooper), or if other crews want to be your villains, but don't grief to the point of harassment or spew bigotry. I've never played a game that's as much of an anecdote maker as SoT.

But the thing I'll always champion about Sea of Thieves is the horizontal progression; that no one gets leveled out of anything meaningful. Even if a session of SoT can be daunting in its length and risk of sinking ship/session, at least it never feels like a part-time job in the sense of keeping up with the treadmill or leveling gating between friends.

If I ever do get back into the Anniversary tales, I'll need to refresh myself with a story recap of the previous tales so I can appreciate the callbacks at the finish line that you mention, elenarie