• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
2m5IiKK.png

Platform(s): Xbox One, PC (Windows 10 Store) - Crossplay Enabled
Open Beta Date: March 9th to March 11th ( 2 AM PT / 5 AM ET / 10 AM GMT / 9 PM AEST)
Developer: Rare
Publisher: Microsoft
Size: 13GB+

Windows Store Beta Link: https://www.microsoft.com/store/productId/9P54WFHG498G
Xbox Link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/sea-of-thieves-closed-beta/c21hp72qsm7l

THERE IS NO NDA FOR THIS BETA SO SHARE AS MUCH AS YOU WANT!
Hey, Eorl , think you could throw a link to the Era SoT discord in the OP? It's been helpful for getting groups together in the past.

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
E1RcmW5.jpg

Closed Beta Install Instructions (PC, Xbox and Pre-Order)
By Blaze
Last Updated: January 23, 2018

Installation guide for players who preordered from the Xbox / Microsoft store.

Preordered from the Microsoft / Xbox Store? The Sea of Thieves Closed Beta will appear in your 'Library' on the Microsoft Store if playing on PC and 'My Games and Apps' if you are playing on Xbox.

PC installation for players who are redeeming a 'Black Dog Pack code'

1) On PC press the Windows key and type in 'Microsoft Store' and press 'ENTER'

2) Verify the account you wish to have access is logged in. This should be evident at the top right of the screen.

3) Select 'Redeem a code' from the drop down found at the top right.

blobid0.png

4) Enter your code and Select 'Next'

5) On success you should get a window like below. Select 'Confirm' to add the Black Dog Pack + the Closed Beta access to your account.

blobid2.png

6) Once redeemed go to 'My library' available from the drop down at the top right hand corner.

7) Select 'Sea of Thieves Closed Beta'

Game not appearing? Try this link:

https://www.microsoft.com/store/apps/9P54WFHG498G

8) Select 'Install'

9) Follow install process

In the Browser

1. In a browser, go to Redeem code, and then select Sign In.
  2. Enter the 25-character prepaid code, and then select Redeem.
The Closed Beta will open at 12pm GMT on Wednesday 24th January and will run until 8am GMT on Monday 29th

Xbox installation for players who are redeeming a 'Black Dog Pack code'

1) On the Xbox Console

1. Press the Xbox button to open the guide, and then select Home. Make sure you're signed in to the Microsoft account for which you want to redeem the code.
  2. On the Home screen, scroll right and select Store.
  3. Select Use a code.
  4. Use the onscreen keyboard to enter your 25-character code on the Redeem your code or gift cardscreen, and then select Next to finalize your redemption. Don't worry about hyphens, the system takes care of those for you.
2) In the Browser

1. In a browser, go to Redeem code, and then select Sign In.
  2. Enter the 25-character prepaid code, and then select Redeem.
Once the code has been redeemed by any of the two methods above you will see the 'Sea of Thieves Closed Beta' in the 'Ready to Install' section within 'My Games and Apps' on the Xbox Console ready for install. Select it to begin the install process.

The Closed Beta will open at 12pm GMT on Wednesday 24th January and will run until 8am GMT on Monday 29th

PC Founder installation

There are three stages from start to finish: Install the Insider Hub, find Sea of Thieves in the Hub and finally install the game from the Hub and Store. Follow the steps below:

• Press the Start key and open the Store
  • Search for and install the Xbox Insider Hub
  • Launch the Hub and you'll find Sea of Thieves waiting for you
  • Click the icon which will take you through to the Store page
  • Click install and the download will begin.
If the game does not appear in the Insider Hub, check the prerequisites above. If the game is still not showing, or is failing to install, try these steps:

1. Launch the Xbox Insider Hub.
  2. Navigate to Sea of Thieves.
  3. Select Manage.
  4. Select Unenroll.
  5. Return to the Sea of Thieves page in the Xbox Insider Hub, and select Join.
  6. Try the installation again.
If you are still experiencing issues, please follow the steps Here to create a new local administrator account. Once created, sign into the Store and the Insider Hub with your Gamertag and try the installation again.

If these steps do not work, raise a ticket with our Customer Services Team

Xbox Founder installation

There are three stages from start to finish: Install the Insider Hub, find Sea of Thieves in the Hub and finally install the game from the Hub and Store. Follow the steps below:

1. On your Xbox One, head to the Store
  2. Search for and install the Xbox Insider Hub
  3. Launch the Hub and you'll find Sea of Thieves waiting for you
  4. Click the icon which will take you through to the Store page
  5. Install as you would any other game.
If the game does not appear in the Insider Hub, check the prerequisites above. If the game is still not showing, or is failing to install, try these steps:

1. Launch the Xbox Insider Hub.
  2. Navigate to Sea of Thieves.
  3. Select Manage.
  4. Select Unenroll.
  5. Return to the Sea of Thieves page in the Xbox Insider Hub, and select Join.
  6. Try the installation again.
If you are still experiencing issues, please follow the steps Here to create a new local administrator account. Once created, sign into the Store and the Insider Hub with your Gamertag and try the installation again.
The Closed Beta will be accessible to eligible players who joined the Sea of Thieves Insider Programme before December 1st 2017 or who have pre-ordered the game.

If you pre-ordered the game through the Xbox or Windows Store, the game will appear in your games library 24 hours before the Closed Beta begins. You will need to download and install it.

If you pre-ordered the game through a retailer, you will need to redeem the code for the Black Dog cosmetic pack. Once you have done this, the game will appear in your games library 24 hours before the Closed Beta begins. You will need to download and install the game.
Important Note About the Closed Beta Content:
"We've crafted a bespoke experience for Closed Beta players that has been designed to give everyone a taste of the pirate life that they can expect in the full version of the game at release. We won't be testing the full game during the Closed Beta phase: we want to keep a good selection of things up our sleeves for players to discover at launch."

Important Note About Xbox Play Anywhere:
As we head into Closed Beta, our next step is to fully enable Xbox Play Anywhere. We're delighted to announce that starting in Closed Beta on January 24th, you can jump between any device and continue where you left off, whether that's a Windows 10 PC, Windows 10 laptop, Xbox One, Xbox One S or Xbox One X. And with cross play, you'll always have a friend to sail with, regardless of where they play.
Open Beta FAQ

GpwySnM.png

Sea of Thieves is a new type of multiplayer game that delivers all you need to live the free-roaming pirate life. Whether adventuring as a group or sailing solo, you'll encounter other crews... but will they be friends or foes, and how will you respond?

There are countless ways to make your mark on Sea of Thieves'stunning world. The more voyages and adventures you see through to the end, the greater your reputation becomes and the more opportunities unfold before you.

Whatever destiny a traveller on the Sea of Thieves chooses to follow, it begins with exploration. This ever-changing ocean realm is rich in islands, each curled protectively around its secrets, and outposts where hauls are cashed and tankards bashed with friends and strangers alike.

1j9DXCZ.jpg

COMBAT ON THE WAVES

When you're fighting over treasure, looking to settle a score or just itching to make a name for yourself, your ship's cannons are a great way to put your rivals in their place – namely, the bottom of the sea. If your own ship's taking a battering from enemy fire, you'll need to decide how best to divide your time and your crew between evasion, repairs and fighting back – not to mention repelling possible boarders!

Wv6a4QN.jpg

FRAGMENTS OF THE PAST

The Sea of Thieves' vast expanse is steeped in myth and legend, filled with curious ruins and outlandish encounters spoken of wherever crews meet to swap their stories. Whether you find yourself witnessing mouldering wrecks in the world's wildest regions or plundering painted shrines beneath sun-dappled jungles, there's a rich history here waiting to be awakened – and within that history, riches waiting to be taken!

GsuFXmQ.jpg

0CakvnO.jpg

A TRUE SHARED WORLD

Co-operation is your watchword in Sea of Thieves. The events you experience and the memories you make become the stuff of legend with friends in tow. Bring a ready-made crew or discover new partners in plunder, bonding under the Pirates' Code. Prefer to sail solo as you earn your sea legs? You can do that too!

Every ship that comes coasting over the horizon in Sea of Thieves, large or small, is crewed by real players on their own voyages, so it's up to you how you interact and what kind of crew you choose to be. Create allies or enemies, be benefactors or betrayers, exchange banter or broadsides – you make the call! Of course, what you can't know in advance is how other ships' crews might have reacted upon seeing you...

pQmxcN8.jpg

n6OuwXJ.png

Official Sea of Thieves Behind the Scenes: Xbox One X

Sea of Thieves Inn-side Story #13: The Voyage System

Official Sea of Thieves Xbox One Controller

3812af7d-fb01-4388-8a94-270a22d94f93

3vtedip.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Your Closed Beta times are wrong.

It's midday GMT.

The countdown is right though.

EDIT: Maybe I read wrong...never mind.

I'm hyped though!

Mondy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you get access to this beta, but don't get around to giving it a go for a solid few hours for whatever reason, you're doing yourself a massive disservice.

Lost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If anyone is streaming, let me know.

I'd love to see the second-to-second gameplay

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty excited to hear people's reactions and journeys. I've really enjoyed the snippets they have given us during the Alpha weekends and can't wait to play more.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
OP can you link or provide where you heard the Beta would be Xbox One X Enhanced? Everything I have heard/read was that it was not and/or not confirmed. Would love it to be so as I loved the standard version when I played the Alpha in December and would love to see it with "X" enhancement.

OP
OP

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
OP can you link or provide where you heard the Beta would be Xbox One X Enhanced? Everything I have heard/read was that it was not and/or not confirmed. Would love it to be so as I loved the standard version when I played the Alpha in December and would love to see it with "X" enhancement.
There's no confirmation of if the closed beta will be enhanced or not, however they have said the launch will be. Will just update to clarify that!

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't played in a good whilee, will be interesting to see how things are now.

And I agree with the above poster, they absolutely need to make this a public beta. Game needs way more exposure.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't played in a good whilee, will be interesting to see how things are now.

And I agree with the above poster, they absolutely need to make this a public beta. Game needs way more exposure.

I think opening it up on the 28th and 29th would be awesome. Flood the servers for a stress test and let people give it a shot.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
I'm all over this part:

As we head into Closed Beta, our next step is to fully enable Xbox Play Anywhere. We're delighted to announce that starting in Closed Beta on January 24th, you can jump between any device and continue where you left off, whether that's a Windows 10 PC, Windows 10 laptop, Xbox One, Xbox One S or Xbox One X. And with cross play, you'll always have a friend to sail with, regardless of where they play.

My One X and my PC are ready to test this all out!

Swanlee

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Can't wait, put in over 20 hrs in the alpha over the holidays as a single only player and had a real blast. I've actually missed the game since. Sailing in this game is amazingly fun and rewarding just by itself/

Oct 27, 2017
Think I just pre-loaded it on the Windows Store, looks like it all went smooth. Can't wait to try this out, hoping it brings an interesting and unique experience!

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
My SoT Alpha client is now downloading a 7.31GB Update.

I guess it's updating to the Closed Beta client?

Yep. And it isn't X enhanced unfortunately. The launch client which has a placeholder download shows as X enhanced but the Closed Beta client only shows up in the normal games list. A little bit of a bummer but still excited to see it in 4K in March.

Spock

Oct 27, 2017
This is giving me ultima online vibes, it's a diff game but how it's a sandbox were players create thier own experience and stories was something UO did better than anything since. It wa ahead of its time. I preorder to get in the beta, I'm hyped. Does anyone know if you can have your own pirate flag?

Also any Gaf groups connected for this? If so let me know.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
I got a beta key from Amazon for preordering on Xbox, will it allow me to play the beta on PC? Or xbox only?

blue_phazon

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
OMG the play anywhere function is great for the beta. Now I can test how it'll run on my gaming laptop, which will determine if I keep my physical xbox order, or get it digitally to play on both platforms

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Loved ACIV and always loved Rare, looks like ACIV+Destiny+Overwatch with RARE sparks of art and creativity for good measure. Colour me interested. Curious how this will play with kids on the OG Xbox and me on the X1X...

Heatster101

Oct 27, 2017
This should be great, co op so far is awesome

Pre ordered the SOT controller

Hopefully not a new download and just an update for the technical alpha client for those that have already played it but nothing confirmed as of yet I think

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
This will be my first foray into the game. Anyone else as well? Groups made?

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
I'm really excited to see how this goes. I don't think I'll get a last-second code (didn't get one for the alpha either..) but a man can dream!

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Man, it's almost here... gonna be so cool.

I'll probably stream a little, which isn't something I ever really do, but I just want this thing to be successful so bad. It's a great game.

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
Super interested to play this but also see the response from us, streamers and online video.

Like I posted in the other thread seems like such a wildcard and something I hope works out as there is nothing like it.

If it doesn't get a big bang launch I hope they support it and turn it into a success like Ubi with Siege or Valve with CS:GO