• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

reaper

Oct 28, 2017
I have a question that I think maybe you guys here may be able to answer. I have not played the game at all but I have drooled over many youtube videos. My 8 year old daughter is talking about playing with me (2 xbox units). So, here's the question... let's say we go on an adventure and acquire a chest. We want to take that chest back and earn our reward. How difficult is it to do this mission without being attacked by other real life players? I am a little worried that 1 adult and 1 child may get frequently overwhelmed by skilled players and feel as though we can never accomplish anything as our loot keeps getting stolen or we simply get killed, etc. It seems like the game could support constant griefing. Thoughts?

tlhm94

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just wanted to point out that they are being deliberately cagey on some things, while honestly answering other stuff that would be construed as negative. This actually bodes well for things like Dice/Cards and ghosts. Anytime they make a point to dodge a question but still respond, that is a hint that they are not positioned to reveal something yet.

TheCanisDirus

Nov 13, 2017
It's way better than a purposefully guarded Reddit AMA lol.

I get that! But, we're also...4 days away? I remember watching a video and they discussed the NDA breaches, datamines, etc., and they seemed (visibly/tonally) to be really down that certain things leaked out and we didn't get to experience them. I have a feeling that type of sentiment informs how they approach AMAs, interviews, and information dissemination.
Yeah what's the point of this AMA? I mean anything they've answered they've discussed elsewhere already. Maybe it's just for those who haven't been following SoT? I dont get it.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Their next big update will be in 3 months, if I recall correctly.

Doing GAAS games right is very very hard, you need to have a good plan and good system to keep everyone playing for so long and I'm also a little bit afraid if most people even play it anymore after 2 or, let's be really fair, 4 weeks. It has a lot of stuff to do and it's the perfect game to switch on and enjoy for 2 hours, but does it have enough different content for 3 months? Who knows.

I just hope we aren't seeing pirate legends already after 2 days or so....

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
I have a question that I think maybe you guys here may be able to answer. I have not played the game at all but I have drooled over many youtube videos. My 8 year old daughter is talking about playing with me (2 xbox units). So, here's the question... let's say we go on an adventure and acquire a chest. We want to take that chest back and earn our reward. How difficult is it to do this mission without being attacked by other real life players? I am a little worried that 1 adult and 1 child may get frequently overwhelmed by skilled players and feel as though we can never accomplish anything as our loot keeps getting stolen or we simply get killed, etc. It seems like the game could support constant griefing. Thoughts?

A sloop is fairly maneuverable and you should be able to see others coming from a mile away. Keep your lanterns off and once you have a chest, make a b-line to the nearest outpost.

I've yet to be ganked (solo/duo/otherwise), but it got real close. I ended up dying immediately after cashing it in lol.

Yeah what's the point of this AMA? I mean anything they've answered they've discussed elsewhere already. Maybe it's just for those who haven't been following SoT? I dont get it.

Seems like a marketing push for those who may not have paid as close attention as folks like us?

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
We've only got some direct answers from Tim and Joe. Chapman is speaking in riddles, Shelley is giving random answers and Craig is only responding to compliments. ;D

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I wouldn't say it's "difficult" but more "it's random" whether you meet real life pirates. Usually you will be able to spot their ship from far away and then decide on what to do. You will undoubtedly run into gank squads in the game, it will happen, but by my own experience during the betas, seeing actual players is a very rare event.

riprapp

Oct 27, 2017

I managed to get playtime with my 8-year old niece during the betas, and we managed to turn in plenty of chests without much of an issue. Even when we encountered other players that were spoiling for a fight we still had a heap of fun scrabbling about to fend them off. I think as long as you approach it with a fun attitude and keep a keen eye on the horizon you should be a-ok.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Q:
What about fishing? It would be nice to have a additional option for voyages that would need me to catch some fish. I know it won't be there at release but is something like this planned or even on the table?

A:
Mike: Sounds like an awesome idea. *Craig: Not sure fishing is part of the pirate experience. *Shelley: *shocked face *Joe: You've now had some insight into a design discussion at Rare. See what I have to put up with?

Lappe

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

I'm planning on playing with my god son also sometime next week.

Yeah, you don't have to be that worried, just keep an eye out for masts. You never can really know the intentions of other players, and remember the game has proximity chat, so profanities could also be in the equation. Other than that, It's pretty easy, and should be very easy to adapt since you are basically playing pirates. First thing you might want to do is get familiar with your boat, that is key.

TheCanisDirus

Nov 13, 2017
Seems like a marketing push for those who may not have paid as close attention as folks like us?

Yeah it does. Totally cool, can't blame them. I was just hoping for some new solid answers. I respect them wanting us to discover some of it in game for the first time as well.

We've only got some direct answers from Tim and Joe. Chapman is speaking in riddles, Shelley is giving random answers and Craig is only responding to compliments. ;D
This is so accurate lol

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I'm planning on playing with my god son also sometime next week.

Yeah, you don't have to be that worried, just keep an eye out for masts. You never can really know the intentions of other players, and remember the game has proximity chat, so profanities could also be in the equation. Other than that, It's pretty easy, and should be very easy to adapt since you are basically playing pirates. First thing you might want to do is get familiar with your boat, that is key.

You can turn off the chat, right?

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mike: We see the role of trading companies as something we'll continue to expand over time. Whatever we do with the trading companies we'll try to put a unique spin on it and gets players to play in different ways! Fair expectation that the kinds of goods you'll be ferrying for the Merchant Alliance will evolve over time.

Oct 25, 2017

The sloop is manoeuvrable enough to avoid a lot of combat encounters, especially against the larger galleons, so as long if you are sailing and your daughter can handle the cannons/repairing the odd bit of damage you sustain then you should be OK.

You're definitely going to get your treasure jacked at some point, but in the beta that was a rare occurrence and not something that happened most of the time like in The Divison. It'll be stressful for the first day or two but after you've got the hang of sailing the sloop you'll be fine imo.

tlhm94

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Doing GAAS games right is very very hard, you need to have a good plan and good system to keep everyone playing for so long and I'm also a little bit afraid if most people even play it anymore after 2 or, let's be really fair, 4 weeks. It has a lot of stuff to do and it's the perfect game to switch on and enjoy for 2 hours, but does it have enough different content for 3 months? Who knows.

I just hope we aren't seeing pirate legends already after 2 days or so....

I was probably sitting at 80 hrs in total for the pre-release builds. I got to level 20 each time (22 was my highest I think) and that was just with one of the trading companies. I didn't get past level 5 with the other 2. There are also several notable additions to the game's sandbox confirmed for launch (ship customization, end game voyages/etc, all 3 trading companies, the Kraken, likely enemy mermaids, potions, some new melee weapons) as well as one or two confirmed for post-launch (speaking trumpet). I don't think ppl will run out of stuff to do in 3 months.

Oct 25, 2017
Legit firestorm. How could this game NOT have a fully fleshed out fishing experience but a trading company devoted to a damn pig wrangling, snake charming, chicken fucking experience?! Those are super Piratey things /s (i'm just kidding lol)

I'm sure fishing is in there at launch or coming soon after.

There was a Tales from the Tavern video or livestream they did with Joe and Mike a couple of months ago and the way Joe responded to a question about fishing made me think that's something that they've spent time thinking about if it isn't part of the road map already.

tlhm94

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Legit firestorm. How could this game NOT have a fully fleshed out fishing experience but a trading company devoted to a damn pig wrangling, snake charming, chicken fucking experience?! Those are super Piratey things /s (i'm just kidding lol)

I'm sure fishing is in there at launch or coming soon after.

Remember that they want to have a stable of trading companies to cycle in/out every now and again. There are lots of good ideas for what those might entail, including one that sets you out to go fishing. They don't want to overwhelm players with too many distractions all at once for launch and then nothing for months thereafter.

Lappe

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Joe: We discussed this early on in the project and honestly made a call that the investment outweighed the aesthetic benefit of having one. We prototyped rowboats, it was supercool. They might make an appearance in future.

I can't help but be disappointed. I genuinely thought these would be in by release.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Q:
You've spoken frequently about looking at adding content down the road (every 3 months or so?). Can we expect to see a published roadmap after launch that outlines a number of features that are penned to be released over the next 12 months?
Thanks for making this game! Super pumped to get in on Tuesday.

A:
Joe: I think we're only ever likely to cover a few months ahead to maintain mystery (so you can be surprised and delighted) and so we can be reactive. Things will change as Sea of Thieves evolves. We want to have the time to reveal what the features mean for players before we put them in their hands. We've taken a show not tell policy for the entire project so far and we're committed to that.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Joe: I think we're only ever likely to cover a few months ahead to maintain mystery (so you can be surprised and delighted) and so we can be reactive. Things will change as Sea of Thieves evolves. We want to have the time to reveal what the features mean for players before we put them in their hands. We've taken a show not tell policy for the entire project so far and we're committed to that.

edit: just beaten! lol

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Four man sloop would be ridiculously OP.

Yup.

The way water fills up the boats is strange. A bottom deck hole in a sloop actually raised the water line slower than a galleon. It's all for balance, but it feels weird. And one person just bailing can keep a sloop taking in water afloat, since bailing is faster on it.

So put 4 dudes on a sloop and you can't sink it without killing them all.

As far as offensive capabilities, having one cannon is enough because you have a gunner, a helmsman, and then 2 people that can try to board, which is BY FAR, the best way to sink a ship.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, that was quite pointless. Haha.
I wouldn't say that. There's SOME newish stuff we learned. Stuff like their plans for dice, rowboats. Confirmation of stuff that they are looking at etc. sword lunge glitch is in for launch. The tease for the first live campaign is nice. A new npc and it's night/shadow skeleton themed.

But if you're expecting MAJOR bombshells from a Reddit AMA, you must not be familiar with Reddit AMA's

Honestly besides the timetable for content updates, which is normal as opposed for my hope that they'd be super frequent, I'm kinda bummed we can't have more than one active voyage.

tlhm94

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't say that. There's SOME newish stuff we learned. Stuff like their plans for dice, rowboats. Confirmation of stuff that they are looking at etc. sword lunge glitch is in for launch. The tease for the first live campaign is nice. A new npc and it's night/shadow skeleton themed.

But if you're expecting MAJOR bombshells from a Reddit AMA, you must not be familiar with Reddit AMA's

Honestly besides the timetable for content updates, which is normal as opposed for my hope that they'd be super frequent, I'm kinda bummed we can't have more than one active voyage.

If you get the voyage outside of a trading company, ya can. And they are working on a way to have multiple trading company voyages active at once too.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you get the voyage outside of a trading company, ya can. And they are working on a way to have multiple trading company voyages active at once too.
Yeah I know, just wish we could have had it for launch, its been a heavily requested feature since the trading companies were put in. I especially want it for the merchant voyages since those involve scoping out islands. Would be nice to have a treasure riddle on devils ridge, and you spot a golden chicken you need for your merchant quest. Wouldn't be as much of an issue if the cages were easier to come by. Might try to use that rooster teeth method to cheese gathering extra cages if I need to.
Still curious what monday is gonna bring.
Hopefully getting to play the game at night! I wanted clarification on the time it releases. It sounds like 11pm Central Time?

Oct 25, 2017
Yup.

The way water fills up the boats is strange. A bottom deck hole in a sloop actually raised the water line slower than a galleon. It's all for balance, but it feels weird. And one person just bailing can keep a sloop taking in water afloat, since bailing is faster on it.

So put 4 dudes on a sloop and you can't sink it without killing them all.

As far as offensive capabilities, having one cannon is enough because you have a gunner, a helmsman, and then 2 people that can try to board, which is BY FAR, the best way to sink a ship.

I guess the sloop is shallower in the water so the water pressure isn't as high as the bottom deck of the galleon?

But yeah, the sloop is so easy for one person to control by himself that having three people to deal with cannons/repairing/boarding/repelling boarders without ever having to think about the sails or anchor is ridiculous. I really hope that doesn't become a thing.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess the sloop is shallower in the water so the water pressure isn't as high as the bottom deck of the galleon?

But yeah, the sloop is so easy for one person to control by himself that having three people to deal with cannons/repairing/boarding/repelling boarders without ever having to think about the sails or anchor is ridiculous. I really hope that doesn't become a thing.
I could see it as a timed event (sloop wars!) but other than that I'll take balance over player choice here.

tlhm94

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Reposting an updated version of my list of stuff you can expect for launch compared to the final beta...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok, did my best to see what I could dig up from the Edge article, various videos involving the devs, the data mined stuff, their Reddit AMA and their recent stream. This is my *guess* as to what we can reasonably expect for the launch period based on these sources. Note that this is only stuff beyond what we have seen in the betas:

Sandbox:
  • All 3 trading companies,
  • Live campaigns
  • The Kraken
  • Speaking trumpets allowing for ship-to-ship communication (shortly after launch)
  • NPC's that offer you side quests (possibly including bounties on other pirates!...very likely)
  • Skeleton bosses that require teamwork and thinking outside the box to defeat
  • Potions possibly including actions to revive, cure, poison
  • More cursed chests
  • Possibly card/dice games (maybe)

End Game:
  • Searching for the fabled Athena's Fortune
  • Gain access to legendary pirate hideout, hang out with ghost npc's and get special quests for unique loot/items. The Tavern of Legends will have other player's legends as ghost NPCs that will dish out hints from Devs on upcoming events. Also in the tavern of legends you will find portraits highlighting top players/pirates from the game.
  • The Pirate Lord in the tavern of legends will dish out unique voyages that provide unique items and cosmetics that always change.
  • Special timed events, including 'live campaigns' which are meant to be like voyages except much larger in scale and more unique/interesting/directed (first one should be shortly after launch)

Weapons:
  • Boarding axe, heavy sword, regular sword, rapier, dagger (from data mine, so might be day 1)

Pirate Customization/Items:
  • Pipes that can be smoked (in data mine, might not be there day 1)
  • More instruments (drum, banjo, fiddle)...(shortly after launch)
  • You can now save a pirate in the IPG and generate news ones, then choose your favorite

Food:
  • Bread, fish meat, shark meat (data mine, may not be there day 1)
  • Coconuts, pineapple, pomegranates, mango (data mine, may not be there day 1)
  • Rare Tea (if not day 1, shortly after launch)

Ship Customization:
  • Harpoon guns (data mine, may not be there day 1)
  • Figureheads
  • Mirror in Captain's quarters (data mine, may not be there day 1)
  • Kraken-themed ship items
  • Can name your ship

Enemies:
  • The Kraken
  • Different forms of skellies: Bone, metal, plant and shadow. Each form has their own death particles and sounds.
  • Skeletons have their own difficulty ranks that governs AI/behavior/difficulty
  • Skeleton bosses that require teamwork and thinking outside the box to defeat
  • Hostile Mermaids based on pirates turning into mermaids gradually (highly likely for day 1)

Trading Companies:
  • Reps at outposts, along with other NPC's, will be fully voiced (likely)
  • Voyages that are higher rank and more complex beyond what's been in the beta(s)

Animals:
  • Clownfish
  • Skeleton parrots (data mine, may not be there day 1)
  • Snakes/pigs/chickens come in different rarities (might have been in final beta)

World Building:
  • They are making lore books that will make their way into the game at launch.
  • These lore books/tomes can also contain sea shanty lyrics
  • Others will contain actual riddles/voyages to go on
  • They have hinted at more npc's roaming the islands
  • They have hinted at a Bounty Dealer who presumably offers bounties on other pirates/players

Dev-related Stuff:
  • They have something secret coming up soon related to content creators. The community team is working on it.
  • The community team is also working on some neat initiatives that highlight cool stuff gamers do post-launch.
  • Some elements of feedback was gonna be addressed just after launch but the team has pushed hard to get as many there for launch as possible.
  • Just after launch they will be doing 'live campaigns' which are timed exclusive events.
  • There is something new coming up around launch time which is described as the most amazingly cool and interesting things they have done yet to immortalizing players in-game.
  • Something related to live campaigns coming up soon has the woman designing them crazy excited and they suggest something about it may have leaked (ideas what this is??).

**If anyone has more they would like me to add to the list, lemme know!**

This is just my personal guess:

Once you are invited to become a pirate legend, you become a ghost as does your ship. Hence, the ghost ship and ghost crews seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3zKM70TRnw&t=
This would explain how you will be able to sail your ship through the waterfall to access the legendary pirate hideout. This also explains why the npc's and fellow pirates at the hideout are all ghosts. Lastly, my bet is the voyages given to you by the ghostly Pirate Lord will be voyages sailing on the Sea of the Damned (special servers for pirate legend crews?).

Stuff coming in the future:

• Variations of the Kraken threat (different versions of it?)
  • Tattoos you can add to your pirate yourself, possibly by earning them
  • Possibly other sea monsters
  • Private servers
  • Ability to put 4 ppl on a sloop in private server
  • Ability to get started with a Ghalleon/Sloop while ya reserve a spot(s) for your buddies
  • Pets (can own multiple but only take one at a time on voyage)
  • Ship Captaincy
  • Fishing (almost guaranteed)