• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Doffen

Oct 28, 2017
rclbz3f.png

This guy sounds like Harry Potter.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Native 4K. HDR. Dolby Atmos. High-resolution textures and shadows,

We were always well-prepared for the Xbox One X version. We had already done a lot of work in terms of 4K assets and HDR lighting because of our work on the PC version, so it was pretty smooth to just get it up and running. Now we've pushed it pretty far, with the game running in native 4K, supporting HDR, with high-resolution textures and shadows and support for Dolby Atmos.
https://wccftech.com/rare-sea-of-thieves-good-launch-offering/

Dolby Atmos in this game will be absolutely insane.

Oh and ...

SiomtNo.jpg

Is this a freaking volcano?

Startropper

Oct 25, 2017
New Developer Update video is live

They need to tie the lore more into what you're doing as a player.

Having props on islands is great, but what real purpose do they serve?

To know that we need to read a book? But again how is that relevant to what I'm doing as a pirate? To me it's just an empty island with a bunch of random props scattered around.

Would like to see lore add greater mystery solving to the overall world, helping uncover secrets and hidden treasures.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
They need to tie the lore more into what you're doing as a player.

Having props on islands is great, but what real purpose do they serve?

To know that we need to read a book? But again how is that relevant to what I'm doing as a pirate? To me it's just an empty island with a bunch of random props scattered around.

Would like to see lore add greater mystery solving to the overall world, helping uncover secrets and hidden treasures.

There is an entire book of lore being released the same day as the game. And, an embargo lifts on 2/13 that may reveal more info on story.

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
Let's not go too crazy with artwork and datamined stuff. Don't expect too much.
LOL
I don't think that having a volcano island or a watermill in the game is really expecting "too much."
The datamined stuff is actually a pretty good indication of what's going to be in the game, maybe not all of it, but I doubt that the devs are actively adding things in to a ultra closed beta client just for shits and giggles.

Overdoziz

Oct 26, 2017
LOL
I don't think that having a volcano island or a watermill in the game is really expecting "too much."
The datamined stuff is actually a pretty good indication of what's going to be in the game, maybe not all of it, but I doubt that the devs are actively adding things in to a ultra closed beta client just for shits and giggles.
Datamined stuff can be misinterpreted pretty easily and people were also talking about skeleton enemy artwork among other things. Just saying people shouldn't get too carried away.

Startropper

Oct 25, 2017
There is an entire book of lore being released the same day as the game. And, an embargo lifts on 2/13 that may reveal more info on story.

We see hints of an ancient civilization in the reefs, some broken stone statues on islands, and obviously the rock paintings.

I'm hoping they somehow tie the past lore and mystery into greater solving of puzzles and mystery. This would give the props around the world more meaning and importance.

Chiramii

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
So does the embargo lift at midnight (13th) UK time, as in 01:00 (13th) CET? I'm hungry for some juicy Sea of Thieves news.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Some ship stuff.

Hey there,

Whilst some of my previous datamines had some vague hints to possible ship customization, I recently stumbled upon something more concrete which I thought you'd be interested in. These strings appear to be from sort of general stats page in the game, so they will most definitely also be in the final game. The strings also further confirm some things found in my previous datamines. Sadly I cannot upload the precise source in a .txt anymore because Microsoft forced me to delete the previous ones. Anyways here is the list of my findings:

• Ship customization with customizable Cannon, Sail Livery, HullLivery, Capstan, Mast, Figurehead and Wheel. These need to be purchased for gold.
  • Types of voyages: Voyages_Merchant, Voyages_Bounty, Voyages_Riddledid, Voyages_XMarksTheSpot, Voyages_Mixed, Voyages_MerchantAlliances, Voyages_OrderOfSouls, Voyages_GoldHoarders and Voyages_AthenasFortune
  • Athena's Fortune might be another company like the Gold Hoarders, Order of Souls and the Merchant Alliance. Backed up by the following stats: Voyages_Completed_AthenasFortune, Voyages_MetresSailed_AthenasFortune, GoldEarned_Lifetime_AthenasFortune, Progression_Emblems_Unlocked_AthenasFortune and Progression_Level_Max_AthenasFortune (all of the three other companies have exactly the same stats: eg Voyages_Completed_GoldHoarders)
  • Possible item upgrades?: Purchased_ItemUpgrades_Max
  • Lots of fun little stats (possibly for achievements) like Combat_Skeletons_Killed_WhilstEatingABanana or Player_Ship_SailInSameDirectionAsNearbyShipWithoutFiringAtEachOther
  • Other purchasable goods for gold apart from the ones we already know. Some were already in my previous datamine but it was unsure whether these would be purchased for gold or only during character creation: Beard, Belt, Dress, Drum, Gloves, Hair, Hat, Hook, Jacket, Peg, SpeakingTrumpet, Booty?, Shirt, Titles and PirateLegends.
  • There's a total of about 153 stats like these above
Again, these are all stats from a certain stat-page in the game. There's a lot of stats I'd like to share with you, but as said before, I sadly cannot share the list because Microsoft believes this is an infringement of their copyright.

If I find anything else interesting I will update this post. :)

vJoeyz

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
This is a great "what do you do" post on Reddit.

"The game is like a road trip to see a concert. You're in a vehicle just chilling with your pals, having fun conversations, and seeing cool stuff fly by. Then you stop, do some cool stuff, get some new shirts, then go back home. Except it's like driving in Jersey and sometimes people try to run into you or shoot/rob you."

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Full article:

After Sea of Thieves' closed beta, I was left impressed by the emergent potential of its world but also wondering what I'd be doing in the game after a couple of weeks. Last Monday I visited Rare, and the developers explained their vision of how it will all come together at launch. With a clear endgame, a raid of sorts and the ever-present threat of a kraken that can attack multiple ships at once, I'm convinced that I'll be playing it for at least a couple of months.

Pirate legend status is your overarching goal in Sea of Thieves. Rare has alluded to this before in one of the game's countless community videos—it's unlocked by building your reputation with the game's three trading companies, as well by proving yourself to other NPCs who will populate the game's world at launch.

The reward, besides the status itself, is a secret pirate hideout that only legends can access—and I'm seeing it for the first time. "When you become a pirate legend, you discover a secret and get access to a key, shall we say, that gives you access to this location," explains design director Mike Chapman. "It's seamlessly hidden in the world. It's not loading off a menu. It was already in our closed beta, but no one could become pirate legend and unlock it—but it was there." This cove, which is hidden by a waterfall, contains a ship that's been retrofitted into a pub—the Tavern of Legends. Pirate legends, who appear as ghosts, live here. They include the pirates from the game's E3 2016 trailer. It's nice to see promotional characters go to a good home.

missing-image.svg

Legendary pirate ghosts.

SKELETON FORTS

Everything in Sea of Thieves is built not just to enhance the experience for one player, but for everyone, whether they sail with ship or not. Skeleton forts are a good example of this—they're difficult, horde mode-like islands full of skeletons. The goal is to kill all the skeletons on one island, take out the captain then take the treasure.

Everyone on your server will be able to see a skeleton fort marker, as above, so competition might be fierce. And there's so much desirable treasure that no one crew can carry it all by themselves. Do you form fragile alliances and divide it up? Or do you fight a tiring war of attrition until it gets so late that one crew logs off and goes to bed?

These NPCs will hint at future content coming to Sea of Thieves, which is enticing, but achieving legend status may not be easy. I ask Chapman how long it'll take to reach this point in the game. "Highly variable," he says. "You could be a day one player, you sneak aboard a ship and it's full of captain's chests—the most rewarding chests in the game. You steal them all and take them back to an outpost. And you're going to earn loads of gold and reputation." That's an efficient way of getting on that path. Then again, diversions might slow your journey to becoming a legend. Everyone's journey will be different.

"The time it takes to get there is highly variable—and that's going to be fascinating, because players who are truly incredible at this game are going to get there much faster, by playing like pirates. Taking down skeleton forts and being really good at it. They're going to get there before anyone else. I'm sure a couple of weeks after launch, that super invested player is going to get there. And they're going to become a celebrity in our community—they're the first pirate to find the pirate hideout. Our first pirate legend. Then our second pirate legend, third, fourth..."

Chapman shows me more of the Tavern of Legends. "Up here you see the pirate lord, who will give you legendary voyages, which are the most challenging and rewarding. They offer unique rewards in the game, that you can only access when you're a pirate legend. Because of that mechanic, you can choose to share your legendary voyages with others." Being a legend doesn't cut you off from other players—you can embark on legendary quests with them, and even take three of your crew down to the pirate hideout.

"They can't get access to a legendary voyage unless they're with you, but that idea of, I want to make friends and play with pirate legends because it means something special, because I can get this level of reward I can't get with anyone else. And what's in those ancient chests, what's in these chests reserved for pirate legends, is a special set of clothing, weapons and ship cosmetics that are a step beyond. These are the things built out of kraken bones. You can dress like skeletons. This is the elite level of cosmetics that you can only get by completing those voyages. But the cool thing is that, they're physical just like everything else." Every item is cosmetic in Sea of Thieves—the meaning comes in what an item might represent, in terms of the voyages you've finished.

I wonder if it really will take two weeks for someone to reach pirate legend status, given how nothing seems to stay secret for long in games with an active community. It's not just an achievement for the players who put the hours in, though, but it'll change the way other players see you in the world. "You see a pirate legend in the world, you sneak aboard their ship, they've got the ancient chest that you can't get access to and you steal them. What an amazing story that is. Or you sink a pirate legend ship. So that endgame is there for launch. This hidden pirate hideout, and the allure that comes with it."

What's kraken?

missing-image.svg

Stories about Sea of Thieves' kraken have been doing the rounds since we first caught a glimpse of it in a 2016 trailer (see above). During my trip, Rare revealed more about what it is—they don't think of it as a boss, but more of a force of nature, like the storms in the game. "It's something that can strike mercilessly at any time," Chapman says. "Players will have a limited amount of warning. There's an inky mass in the water, which is your clue that there is a kraken there, but when it strikes, what it does and how it prioritises is different each time. You could have three ships attacked simultaneously by those eight tentacles. It can wrap the ship, it can rock the ship and put damage in it. You could slash a tentacle and get ink in your face—you're stumbling around the deck with this ink in your face."

"The tentacle can pick you up and throw you, it can dunk you into the water and drown you. It can slam you against the water's surface by these tentacles that can wrap multiple ships at the same time. What it does is a reflection of what type of ship it is, how many ships are around at that time. This thing is designed to be replayable. You could be the one that saves a bunch of ships from the kraken by getting it to flee, or you could be the one who comes along afterwards, and pick up the chests from the wreckage after it's sunk two ships. Point is, it's going to play differently each time."

During my studio tour of Rare, I get a cheeky look at someone's screen when their ship is surrounded by the tentacles of the kraken, as they line up shots at each one with the cannons. Rare only teased the kraken instead of letting us fight it, so I have no idea if battling it will actually be fun or not. I hope it is. The spectacle of an encounter like this is extremely appealing, regardless, and I believe it could offer a lot of interesting encounters with players in its wake.

Post-launch pirating

missing-image.svg

ANIMAL KINGDOM
missing-image.svg

The Merchant Alliance will reward you for finding rare breeds of animal across the world. At launch, expect pigs, snakes and chickens. Pigs need feeding to stay alive, snakes can poison you and chickens will make loud noises, which might alert other crews to their presence.

They can also drown, get hit by lightning and be blown up with gunpowder, so it could be a heartbreaking business. Rare mentions that snakes could be used as makeshift traps for boarding crews, though, so they'll give you another thing to consider on your journey.

Executive producer Joe Neate tells me what he sees as the step beyond pirate legend status post-launch, building on the idea of the hideout and bespoke voyages. "The first update we want to deliver to pirate legends, the most engaged of our player base, is the ability to be able to captain ships. Become a pirate legend, and you'll get the ability to captain and own ships from that hideout. So when you're out in the world, people will see you and know that you are a pirate legend. Players will start becoming the Blackbeards and Black Pearls of our pirate world. We always want to have new things our pirate legends can aspire to, but also new things for everyone to have and do."

"You would start your game here and board this ship, and you sail out through the waterfall, and you explode out into the world like Davy Jones or how Batman leaves the Batcave," explains Chapman. "And when people see your legendary ship, they know that's the ship of a pirate legend, and they know what that means. You've got that whole grey area of, should I take down the pirate legend? What an amazing story it would be—we took down a pirate legend ship. We stole an ancient chest from a pirate legend, what a great story. So new ways to progress for pirate legends [for post-launch], but new ways to enrich the journey for people who aren't yet legend."

There's a lot of talk of limited time events, too. Rare might just tweak the rules of the world to change the direction of the wind, send all voyages to the same location for the day or tweak the way the water works. Rare has prototyped alliances, too, and it's already happening organically in the game—they might just officially support it too. The types of quest will change as trading companies come and go, too. You've got three at launch, which focus on finding chests, combat challenges and delivering animals from across the world, but Chapman also alludes to a fourth.

Deciding what counted as enough content for launch was tough for Rare. "That's been a real challenge, because everything is additive," Chapman says. "Everything complements each other. You want enough directed goals, but also enough emergent potential. You want enough things like skele forts, enough things like messages in bottles and lost artefacts in caves that take you off the beaten track. So narrowing it down to, what will make people fall in love with it at launch? What's going to make people understand the core vision? That's tough. But beyond that? Loads of potential to keep going."

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
An endgame type raid was what I was kind of hoping for when I thought of those extremely high level voyages, glad to see that seems to be the case.

Having said that I don't think there is enough here to quell the "this will get boring after a few hours" crowd.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
This will be great for alot of players. And streamers also who want to play with viewers. Not level requirement stuff.

" Being a legend doesn't cut you off from other players—you can embark on legendary quests with them, and even take three of your crew down to the pirate hideout.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
That was a great read, it's funny that Rare invited them there to not show them much of it lol. It's great to here that they already have post launch content coming and that they have put a lot of work in to allow live events, hopefully they can keep up with the community. My guess about the hideout was right then, they really needed a end goal. Something exclusive to players that put the time in, it's a great idea. I still want to know more about the smaller things, it seems this was more of a top level developer walkthrough.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
So......who's with me in fast tracking our way to being a pirate legend?

OMG

There's a lot of talk of limited time events, too. Rare might just tweak the rules of the world to change the direction of the wind, send all voyages to the same location for the day or tweak the way the water works.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
I'm so fucking ready to dive in >.>
This game will be awesome, everyone trying to be a pirate legend. And then do pirate lord voyages after! Yesssssssss. I got my Game Pass ready and waiting.