• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
What people arent co sodering is that the game has a severe lack of enemy variety.

If krakens arent actually even an enemy the only confirmed enemy types we have are shark skeleton and merman.

Startropper

Oct 25, 2017
What people arent co sodering is that the game has a severe lack of enemy variety.

If krakens arent actually even an enemy the only confirmed enemy types we have are shark skeleton and merman.

Instead of enemy variety it seems they're going for different variety of a specific enemy. Which is Skeletons.

The problem is Skeletons aren't very fun to fight. With Skeletons being the main enemy of the game, it certainly is a valid criticism. I would describe them more like mosquitoes, annoying pests that you kill thoughtlessly.

Maybe different skeletons types will help, adding more skill oriented combat.

A Grizzly Bear

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If the rumours are true there areonly at maximum 15 other people inthe entire sea so not really worth considering imo...

It doesn't sound like you've played the game. The map size vs. number of people is perfect. There are enough encounters for people to considered a threat.

It's for the Pioneer Sessions. Only select few who have been in for really long time and played a lot get to play those. At least I'm pretty sure that's how they were selected. Lol

I think most Pioneers were picked for providing feedback after Alpha sessions. I know a few people who didn't play a lot, but always made sure to give feedback.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
It doesn't sound like you've played the game. The map size vs. number of people is perfect. There are enough encounters for people to considered a threat.

I think most Pioneers were picked for providing feedback after Alpha sessions. I know a few people who didn't play a lot, but always made sure to give feedback.
You didnt understand my post and i played a lot. When doingsolo quest i basically never ran into any other ships the skeletons got old fast.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Fishing, for example, is a great thing that would fit into this if we do it, you could bring in a new trading company that could give you new goals to achieve, you could go and get some rare exclusive things. That would be the kind of thing that benefits everybody. I want to bring in updates that service both kinds of player.

They BETTER do fishing!

An emergent world seems to be their goal.

You have to think long term they'll add a dynamic threat to all areas of the game.

Sea - Kraken
Land - Reaper?
Sky - Giant Eagle?

The more the merrier IMO

You didnt understand my post and i played a lot. When doingsolo quest i basically never ran into any other ships the skeletons got old fast.

If you prefer to constantly run into other players, then this game isn't for you.

The server size is fine.

Last edited:

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
I'm all about that Kraken!

these emergent scenarios you get is going to make the Kraken feel so awesome to encounter. Some of the stuff it can do, it can literally pick players up off the deck, it can ingest players, it can slam them in the water, dunk them under water, it can throw players across the map. It can wrap the ship, rock the ship, punch holes in the ship. You can fight the tentacles to get them to release you, it sprays ink, it's going to be epic

It also sounds like they plan to add additional major threats over time- the perfect way to keep a guy like me coming back for more.

So, as you can imagine, we'll add new threats at sea, new threats on the islands. There's new stuff on the islands we haven't shown off yet, that will be there for launch. More things in the sea. We're looking at all of that.

At this point I'm just struggling to decide to buy or get gamepass...

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Can't click the links as im at work.

Has anything been confirmed about the rumored card game?

I haven't read any mention of that at all. They have talked about pets, Kraken's, public Raids w/ hauls too big for a single crew to carry, and pirate hideouts for players who achieve Legend Status,

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Update on server size
http://m.ign.com/articles/2018/02/13/sea-of-thieves-doesnt-have-a-maximum-or-minimum-server-size

It's never been quite clear how many players will be able to fit in a Sea of Thieves server, and it turns out there's a very good reason for that - Rare's approach to servers is very different to most online games, meaning there's no definitive answer.

The developer's focus is on keeping player encounters regular, but not too frequent - the magic number is apparently to see another ship, on average, every fifteen minutes to half an hour, making every encounter different, as well as giving non-violent players the chance to escape.

But in a map as large and spread out as Sea of Thieves', a high number of players might still be too spread out, or a small group too bunched together, to keep that magic number in check. The solution for Rare is to focus on the distance between players in a server, not just how many players are on that server.

Pelochoman

Jan 6, 2018
sphdZdu.jpg

oVkE8iN.jpg

IvKJcqx.jpg

9FeeX68.gif

klaus

Oct 28, 2017
Do the Kraken encounters play out the same every time?
According to the design director they won't:
When it comes to ship sailing, you're just an extra cog as part of a more complex system. The ship is effectively a piece of wood that requires people to sail it, load the cannons, fire them, etc. When you've got systems like that, and you've got something the sheer scale and complexity of the Kraken, that has eight independent tentacles, its own A.I. brain, its got a set of strategies of things it can target on the ship. The Kraken will play differently each time you fight it.

Imagine a scenario where the Kraken is simultaneously attacking multiple ships, you're sailing past, you see the Kraken against the sunset, do you go and save those guys? Or do you sail away? Or do you sail in and pick off the stragglers?

All these emergent scenarios you get is going to make the Kraken feel so awesome to encounter. Some of the stuff it can do, it can literally pick players up off the deck, it can ingest players, it can slam them in the water, dunk them under water, it can throw players across the map. It can wrap the ship, rock the ship, punch holes in the ship. You can fight the tentacles to get them to release you, it sprays ink, it's going to be epic.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do the Kraken encounters play out the same every time?

I read a developer say that its similar to the Alien in Alien Isolation. Its always present in the world and doing its own thing (whatever a Kraken does) and when it does get to you it should play out differently each the time. It can even pick you up and dangle you above the boat and your fellow crew! They also said it would probably take a couple of boats to take one down / escape it.

Oh, and THOSE SCREENSHOTS LOOK AMAZING!!

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That thing is massive, I wonder what that thing looks like underwater...

The idea that there is a singular Kraken somewhere on that fairly large map waiting to pounce on you and your fellow pirates is incredibly cool.

You could literally go weeks without seeing anything or even knowing this is in the game and BAM suddenly you see some ink in the water and eight giant fucking tentacles come out of the water and start banging on your ship.

Last edited: