• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Man what a start. I loaded in through the little intro to find my crews ship already out at sea. Taking the mermaid reveals they're at a skull island. After a good long battle the key drops and we get the loot! Clear seas all the way to the outpost and within 30 minutes of starting I've got 15k gold and level 10+ with the 3 guilds.

Wait, what?

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Man what a start. I loaded in through the little intro to find my crews ship already out at sea. Taking the mermaid reveals they're at a skull island. After a good long battle the key drops and we get the loot! Clear seas all the way to the outpost and within 30 minutes of starting I've got 15k gold and level 10+ with the 3 guilds.

This is what may be an issue. Being able to rank up Level 10 in 3 of the factions in 30 minutes seems like a balance issue. I know that it will scale and getting to 20-30-40 and ultimately 50 will take time, but Level 10 with 3 factions in 30 minutes and 15k gold screams balance issues to me. We will see how it plays out, but arghhhh! lol

TheCanisDirus

Nov 13, 2017
Don't get me wrong. I had the game pre-ordered the day it was available. My wife is also getting the game so we can play. I just don't see why some have to defend such and obvious issue just because it is a game they like. I love the game, every beta, alpha, scale test I played I ended up playing for hours on end, but there is nothing wrong with pointing out issues. It seems like "some" fans of the game are jumping in way too much to defend it. Like others I want the game to succeed and I want Rare to have a hit since I am a big fan of their work, but shit like this needs to be mentioned and not defended or talked down. Hyperbolic? Really? Screen tearing almost in all areas, some minor, but simple stuff like being in a tavern, raising the anchor, just being the captain courters of the sloop. Then there is the slowdown (again only when the "X" version came out during the Beta". Game has some tech. issues at least on "X". No need to be defending it at every angle...btw. this is not just directed towards you.
Yikes that doesn't sound good. I'm glad i'm playing on PC then.

Lappe

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I never played the beta and I'm so fucking lost right now. I got the 0 gold quest to deliver chickens. There's no chickens in the starting island so I set sail. I guess I picked a random island to visit. So I find "chicken island" hey, easy enough. It's SE of me and I'm going. Is there an autopilot for this thing or do I have to leave the wheel to Jesus while I check my map?
No autopilot, you have to do everything manually. You can however look at the map, by just peeking over the railing behind the anchor.

This is a team game, and when playing alone you really have to work to get things going.

TheCanisDirus

Nov 13, 2017
This is what may be an issue. Being able to rank up Level 10 in 3 of the factions in 30 minutes seems like a balance issue. I know that it will scale and getting to 20-30-40 and ultimately 50 will take time, but Level 10 with 3 factions in 30 minutes and 15k gold screams balance issues to me. We will see how it plays out, but arghhhh! lol
They were at a skele fort correct? Those things take 30 minutes and one haul will not get you to level 10 in each of the 3 factions unless something HUGE changed? Did it? (I'm probably confused though lol)

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017

I'm a bit concerned about that too.

They were at a skele fort correct? Those things take 30 minutes and one haul will not get you to level 10 in each of the 3 factions unless something HUGE changed? Did it? (I'm probably confused though lol)

Wouldn't shock me if it drops more (way more?) now.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
wait,you gained 10+ levels for all three companies from one skull fort? wat?

I think this only really works at the low end. If it wasn't my first mission in the game I doubt it would have counted for as much. Level 1 - 5 is probably very little for instance

I don't see how that is possible with my 3 hours in, I only got 3 and 1/2 with one faction.
I'd screenshot it for you if I wasn't out doing the shopping now. To be exact it was 10+ for all but the merchants who are at 9 heading toward 10. I'm fairly certain the first chest worth 2k put gold hoarders over 5 alone.

It's probably worth pointing out that in the beta it slowed down a lot in the later levels so it likely does in the full release too.

Last edited:

Lat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No autopilot, you have to do everything manually. You can however look at the map, by just peeking over the railing behind the anchor.

This is a team game, and when playing alone you really have to work to get things going.
ah ok. I'm playing solo right now as I'm sneaking some initial game time at work lol

SealedSeven

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Don't get me wrong. I had the game pre-ordered the day it was available. My wife is also getting the game so we can play. I just don't see why some have to defend such and obvious issue just because it is a game they like. I love the game, every beta, alpha, scale test I played I ended up playing for hours on end, but there is nothing wrong with pointing out issues. It seems like "some" fans of the game are jumping in way too much to defend it. Like others I want the game to succeed and I want Rare to have a hit since I am a big fan of their work, but shit like this needs to be mentioned and not defended or talked down. Hyperbolic? Really? Screen tearing almost in all areas, some minor, but simple stuff like being in a tavern, raising the anchor, just being the captain courters of the sloop. Then there is the slowdown (again only when the "X" version came out during the Beta". Game has some tech. issues at least on "X". No need to be defending it at every angle...btw. this is not just directed towards you.

On Xbox or PC? Do you have something accidentally turned on that shouldn't? (4k thats not on 4k tv, vsync, Field of View too low?)

SK4TE

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
I don't see how that is possible with my 3 hours in, I only got 3 and 1/2 with one faction.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I assumed you were correct as I had a regional "issue" with a credit card and the Xbox Store and went through this type of stuff at length, including the changing of account regions. Eventually I was locked out and they had to manually lift the freeze.
Sorry - I know you did and I appreciated it :-) I just clumsily tagged you at the start of my reply as it was quite a few pages since the last messages.

Lappe

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
ah ok. I'm playing solo right now as I'm sneaking some initial game time at work lol
You also need a an actual cage to catch the chickens, they can be found in the game world or at the Merchants Alliance at any outpost.
Then you have a clock/calendar in your inventory to follow the date given with the quest.

Lat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You also need a an actual cage to catch the chickens, they can be found in the game world or at the Merchants Alliance at any outpost.
Then you have a clock/calendar in your inventory to follow the date given with the quest.
awesome, thanks. I just quit and will start up sometime later., Getting my bearings straight is tough.

Smoshow

Oct 25, 2017
No it has to be the random ones. I hate it as well.
I understand them not wanting everyone to look the same but at least let us lock in specific features, such as height, gender, body type and skin tone. Then just randomize based on that. Instead what we have is 8 random characters that I have to go through and hope I get one I like

PIMPBYBLUD

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be playing this solo about 95% of the time. I found it more rewarding doing quests alone without a group during Alpha and Beta.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I could go even longer.....I love spending hours peacefully on the open sea

I'd like to be associated with the remarks of the above poster, I'd put serious time into this just as a single player game, it's gorgeous.

If I wanted to play alone am I going to get murdered straight up by groups of players?

Seemingly there is some kind of weighting which prevents a session being completely "wasted" due to being murdered over and over. Also the community as a whole seem very into the "role playing" aspect of the game and don't seem particularly belligerent. Having said that it's my biggest fear that it will just end up spawn camping griefing and teenage profanity squeaked over comms. I guess it's just wait and see.
Personally, though I would rather be offline all the time (or opt into PvP) the game is so unique and gorgeous that I'm prepared to go out of my comfort zone a little, and hope I can get together with ERA members as much as I can to try and enjoy it more.

Captain Goodnight

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So for those that have played it awhile, what do you think? If this a worthy buy? Home run? Still on the fence for this. I love me some Pirate games, and am longing for a new Sid Meier's Pirates!

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Sea of Thieves is already #8 on Twitch. Game isn't even out for most gamers. I wonder how long it will be in the top.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I'm a bit concerned about that too.

Wouldn't shock me if it drops more (way more?) now.

I hope they can make balance changes quickly or I can forsee just spamming Skelly forts and people getting to 50 by the end of this week. If it takes about 30 mins to take down a fort, it would not take long to do a 3-4 per day and by the end of the week you would be really close to 50...which in-turn then makes the voyages and other things almost pointless. Why do any of the 3 factions when you can jus spam doing Skelly forts and do all leveling that way?

Seems like the boat is taking on water....

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
So for those that have played it awhile, what do you think? If this a worthy buy? Home run? Still on the fence for this. I love me some Pirate games, and am longing for a new Sid Meier's Pirates!

I don't think it's for everyone, but I put 60+ hours into the alpha, scale tests, and betas and my body now physically craves the sound of the oceans and the wood creaking.

I hope they can make balance changes quickly or I can forsee just spamming Skelly forts and people getting to 50 by the end of this week. If it takes about 30 mins to take down a fort, it would not take long to do a 3-4 per day and by the end of the week you would be really close to 50...which in-turn then makes the voyages and other things almost pointless. Why do any of the 3 factions when you can jus spam doing Skelly forts and do all leveling that way?

Agreed. I assume it'll take longer to get to 15 than it did 10, but the last thing a game like this needs is a meta.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
On Xbox or PC? Do you have something accidentally turned on that shouldn't? (4k thats not on 4k tv, vsync, Field of View too low?)

Xbox One X. The Alphas, First Beta and all Scale Tests only had the PC version and standard Xbox One available. The last beta they introduced the "X" version and it is that version that had the slowdown and tearing. Game ran smooth for me before they added the "X" version.

Captain Goodnight

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's for everyone, but I put 60+ hours into the alpha, scale tests, and betas and my body now physically craves the sound of the oceans and the wood creaking

Any games that it can be compared to? You'd love this if you love.........___ ___ ___ ...........you'll hate this if you hate ____ ____ ____

I've seen some clips of it, but have had a hard time nailing down exactly what this game is most similar to and whether it would come close to scratching the Sid Meier's Pirates itch that has needed scratching for years now...

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
can you not catch animals without a merchant voyage active? bummer.
I do have a cage but there is no prompt to catch the animal when I'm on it, and Ive tried every button.

alexiswrite

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, but traditional level balancing ideas seem not to really apply here, because more levels don't really gain you anything except access to more voyages (please correct me if I'm wrong).

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Any games that it can be compared to? You'd love this if you love.........___ ___ ___ ...........you'll hate this if you hate ____ ____ ____

I've seen some clips of it, but have had a hard time nailing down exactly what this game is most similar to and whether it would come close to scratching the Sid Meier's Pirates itch that has needed scratching for years now...

I'm not sure, tbh. I love the camaraderie. I think you can "hang out" in a lot of games, but in SoT, each person has a role and chips in and there's a lot of teamwork, particularly when you're hunting.

That plus the tension and ship combat. It's not PUBG intense, but it's a similar itch.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Seemingly there is some kind of weighting which prevents a session being completely "wasted" due to being murdered over and over. Also the community as a whole seem very into the "role playing" aspect of the game and don't seem particularly belligerent. Having said that it's my biggest fear that it will just end up spawn camping griefing and teenage profanity squeaked over comms. I guess it's just wait and see.
Personally, though I would rather be offline all the time (or opt into PvP) the game is so unique and gorgeous that I'm prepared to go out of my comfort zone a little, and hope I can get together with ERA members as much as I can to try and enjoy it more.

As someone who often fails to get into PvP in most games I'll admit this makes it fun. There are a few games I enjoy it in because it unique and this is on that list for sure. It's pretty hard to troll people too due to the way the ship respawns randomly and the scuttle option.

Sometimes you might get PvP when you don't want it but it can be amazing. In beta I had a ship attack us off guard and sunk it with gunpowder. We left with like 7 chests including the chest of sorrows. The loot isn't even a thought half the time to be honest it's just the journey.

Booker.DeWitt

Oct 25, 2017
few stupid questions:
1. once you pick your character and starts the game, he is yours to keep (physical characteristics I mean), even if you die, correct?
2. what about your boat the the cosmetic changes? You keep that as well even if you sink the ship?

TheCanisDirus

Nov 13, 2017
can you not catch animals without a merchant voyage active? bummer.
I do have a cage but there is no prompt to catch the animal when I'm on it, and Ive tried every button.

That fucking sucks. :(

You sure can... you just nee to have some crates/cages/baskets for them. You will randomly find them like supplies on islands during your sailing. You get them when you start a mission for the merchants as well (when it's animal capturing).

Edit: Unless they turned that off... but that would seem weird. Are you sure you had the correct "animal containment unit" equipped? Coop for chicken... cage for pig..... basket for snek

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, but traditional level balancing ideas seem not to really apply here, because more levels don't really gain you anything except access to more voyages (please correct me if I'm wrong).

What I am suggesting was they lower the rewards payout for what you get for doing a skelly fort. They can also reduce the time that a skelly fort appears as well. Just seems that someone within 30 min can get to level 10 in all three factions. But we also need to be clear, that player said he spawned into a 4 player game and they were already at the fort fighting, that will not be common. But even if 4 people start at a outpost and a Skull is in the sky, it would not take long to sail to it and beat it in about 30 minutes or so, especially if the players are somewhat decent at the games mechanics. Seems like what that person experienced was a too high of payout to jump to 10 in all 3 factions.

Oct 27, 2017
My first 2 hours playing, none of my 3 friends who also preordered this game were available to play tonight so I decided I'd go it alone for just a little bit and play with some randoms instead because why be anti-social?

Got to pirate selection and literally the first one that appears in my face looks like me but jacked and with a squarer jaw, amazing start Davy Jones smiled upon me, I favourite and reroll a couple times just to see what else I get but ultimately settle on the more handsome Sea Worthy me I got

Load into a full galleon crew all using mics in the middle of a voyage, takes me a bit to get comfortable saying more than 1 word but they were real talkative and good-natured (minus one guy who seemed a bit of a downer coz he didn't know how to do anything) and coaxed me out my shell

Have a great time sailing around, finding treasures, at one point we find a Captains chest and like 7 sea farers chests and now we're really anxious to get back to an outpost, and of course it's now we have our first PvP conflict

Still 3 of us played a beta or an alpha at some point so we knew the drill and we quickly were pumping cannon fire into their lower deck (my own aim surprised me as I sniped one of their crew off a cannon and killed him earning some praise) they hit us a couple times but harmlessly on the middle deck mostly, in trying to pull away from us they run aground on a small island

We escape and cash in our booty racking up about 2 thousand from the lot, I fought some skellies and pleasantly found the lock on normally present in sword fights in the beta to be gone completely making it feel much more natural

Had a big scare near the end because it was raining and dark and the water looked like it suddenly turned very Black and one of my crew swears he heard a terrifying sound and we all pissed our pirate pants in suspense expecting to get sunk by the Kraken, thankfully it didn't happen.

So much fun and my friends and I plan to play tomorrow

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
As someone who often fails to get into PvP in most games I'll admit this makes it fun. There are a few games I enjoy it in because it unique and this is on that list for sure. It's pretty hard to troll people too due to the way the ship respawns randomly and the scuttle option.

Sometimes you might get PvP when you don't want it but it can be amazing. In beta I had a ship attack us off guard and sunk it with gunpowder. We left with like 7 chests including the chest of sorrows. The loot isn't even a thought half the time to be honest it's just the journey.

Yeah the unique aspect, the aesthetic and how it could replace the "down the pub" atmosphere that I used to get from Destiny is what compelled me to pick it up in the end.

That and Rare, though they wish the game to not have a single-player component (which is fine, it's their decision, but damn I would play the arse off that) seem to want it to be a game that can be enjoyable to all and not just spawn camping foul mouths :D I'm prepared to take the chance and hopefully have some fun just messing about with some ERA-ites.

TheCanisDirus

Nov 13, 2017
What I am suggesting was they lower the rewards payout for what you get for doing a skelly fort. They can also reduce the time that a skelly fort appears as well. Just seems that someone within 30 min can get to level 10 in all three factions. But we also need to be clear, that player said he spawned into a 4 player game and they were already at the fort fighting, that will not be common. But even if 4 people start at a outpost and a Skull is in the sky, it would not take long to sail to it and beat it in about 30 minutes or so, especially if the players are somewhat decent at the games mechanics. Seems like what that person experienced was a too high of payout to jump to 10 in all 3 factions.
Do we have any proof of this? Streams i've been watching so far and others i know who are playing basically confirm this is impossible. Unless i'm understanding things incorrectly again. You're saying one skele fort run got a crew from 0 to 10 in each of the 3 factions from just the vault loot?

Lappe

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

I've never honestly played a game like this. You can't really explain the game, you have to play it to get it, and If it clicks, it clicks.
It's like playing pirates as a kid, but more awesome.

SilentRage47

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
For the ones that are playing it on PC, is HDR in ?

I still don't know if I'll play this at 4k + hdr with a controller or 2k 144hz with kb/m

Status
Not open for further replies.