• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 5, 2017
This occurred after rolling up alongside two fighting galleons and taking down the remaining one:

Crew:
- "I've got the Captain's Chest!"
- "I've got the Crate of Exquisite Spices!"
- "I've got the Villainous Bounty Skull!"

Me:
- "I've got a chicken!"

SealedSeven

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Again with buying things just to play the game!

Why not just have it so that the Merchant at each outpost each have a full-supply of crates for whatever undelivered goods you have delivery notes for. That way you effectively have 6 'lives', and all it is costing you is time, which certainly adds plenty to the risk of failing to complete a merchant voyage if you have to sail half way round the map to get a restock, without making it an exercise in frustration trying to find random crates.

How is buying extra crates than ones provided free at the start a bad thing? Didn't say they would be priced high, and even so you get lot of gold in the game anyway that 50 per crate is nothing....

That way you don't have to sail half way across the map to get new crates and have to sail back to other side to deliver the animals. Either way, cancelling a merchant and starting over in both scenarios is easily best thing to do unless its a 3-4 gold animal delivery. Then, I'd prefer 50 gold per crate than sailing far to other outposts just to sail back.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Is there anywhere that shows all the sail/hull customization options off in game? About to purchase some fresh paint with some hard earned 70k, don T want to be dissapointed.

Pandy

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
How is buying extra crates than ones provided free at the start a bad thing? Didn't say they would be priced high, and even so you get lot of gold in the game anyway that 50 per crate is nothing....

That way you don't have to sail half way across the map to get new crates and have to sail back to other side to deliver the animals. Either way, cancelling a merchant and starting over in both scenarios is easily best thing to do unless its a 3-4 gold animal delivery. Then, I'd prefer 50 gold per crate than sailing far to other outposts just to sail back.
But, why are you buying the new crates? Because you've lost your old ones, which is effectively an additional tax on being sunk/robbed.

I'm not against the merchant just giving them out for free, my suggestion of only having one set available at each outpost was to make that a bit more structured and stop people just filling up on an infinite supply of crates in a matter of a few minutes.
If you are buying crates then you are having to sail somewhere afterwards anyway, and with two outposts always being close to each other I don't see that it would become an issue unless you were sunk twice, at which point you'd still have an out if you really wanted to finish the mission (and you'd have likely spawned closer to a distant outpost than the one you are aiming for anyway).

Again, no point getting caught up in details of a theoretical system, there are countless ways for Rare to implement it that would allow players to more easily recover crates without having to pay for it and without allowing people to swamp the game with items causing lag on the server (certainly saw it done in videos of the Beta, but it took work).

Just seen the patch notes. Thanks goodness for underwater gunpowder barrel damage. I think I've twice shot someone holding gunpowder and still had to deal with them afterwards.
(Bet it happens to me first before I get a kill from it!)

TheCanisDirus

Nov 13, 2017
Has rare answered the #notmypiratelegend controversy?

I know they said they would have
They haven't acknowledged anything regarding legends.... they did that surprise ship skin/sails/my-little-pony figurehead but that's it. No congratulations posts... no video's covering the legends... nothing. They just sort of decided to ignore it... or so it seems.

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
8AL5OF8.jpg

giphy.gif

It's still selling pretty well though. At least as rankings go. It's been a month and it's still number 6.

Edit: in the US

Rodan

Nov 3, 2017
Every group of floating barrels should have a merchant crate or two in it bobbing along in the water. Maybe a chance at having a floating message in a bottle as well or a small trinket.

dreamcast

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the PC had an issue where lowering the resolution didn't make a difference in performance. I'm glad that's changed.
Are you saying that it will now run differently? I tried installing yesterday and playing this on my wife's work laptop. It recommended a resolution of 540p. And it ran horribly so I couldn't play. Will it now be at 540p and the framerate will be better? Or can I expect the same 5-10 fps?

TheCanisDirus

Nov 13, 2017
Are you saying that it will now run differently? I tried installing yesterday and playing this on my wife's work laptop. It recommended a resolution of 540p. And it ran horribly so I couldn't play. Will it now be at 540p and the framerate will be better? Or can I expect the same 5-10 fps?
SOUNDS like it might... no idea personally. I've only ran it at a default monitor resolution.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Every group of floating barrels should have a merchant crate or two in it bobbing along in the water. Maybe a chance at having a floating message in a bottle as well or a small trinket.
I agree, nothing too valuable but something thrown in would be nice, maybe very rarely a marauders chest.

Alx

Oct 27, 2017
Increased quality of island rendering at a distance when using the spyglass on all quality settings on both platforms.

That's great. Ever since I've had the spyglass on D-pad shortcut, I've been feeling sad every time I get near islands, since I always see them with their rough appearance.

arimanius

Oct 27, 2017
I'll give it another try and post here with the results. Wish I hadn't uninstalled it last night now. Gotta download the who 20GB again. Glad Xfinity hasn't given me a data cap in my area yet!

Yeah please post if you see any difference. I'm playing 1080 when my native resolution is 1200 so if this gets me a performance boost that would be great.

Marshall

Oct 27, 2017
Ooh I love that idea.

My headset broke last week so I put the game down because I hate being unable to talk as it makes me a shitty crew mate. The good news is my new set should be delivered this afternoon.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I'm still absolutely TERRIBLE at any PVP. Wondering if me using controller is making me slow against mouse users on Windows.

I'm probably just bad!

AlternateAir

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I couldn't stop thinking about SoT despite bouncing off of it hard after the first couple of weeks, so much so that I was actually motivated to learn Premiere Pro and put together this little thing to help me stop thinking about it. Figured I'd share it here since this is where I worked out a lot of why I was bouncing so hard off this one.

Side note, this was actually a lot of fun to do. If I was looking for a silver lining, this might have just turned me onto a new hobby. Not that people randomly going on about their thoughts on videos games is unique on YouTube, but I'm not looking to get paid doing this - it's just kinda cool putting it all together.

Simbo

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit I just solo'd a skull fort. Only had to fight off 1 sloop.

Getting the loot back was intense.

Alx

Oct 27, 2017
I finally saved enough for a new figurehead, in addition to the custom hull paint and sails. I've been quite lucky with shipwrecks.
Also I'm not sure if it's a coincidence, but I went to talk to the barmaid (there was a raging storm at the outpost, so I wanted to wait it out in the pub), and she told me there was a treasure at Devil's Ridge. I didn't know if it was just a random comment, but I decided to go check. Sailed there, looked in the pool beneath the waterfall and found a weeping chest that sold for 1500. I think I'll spend more time talking to NPCs from now on. ^^

Seppala

Oct 27, 2017
Are Rare going to adress some of the feedback they've got since launch? Like the Merchant Alliance, the kong grind etc? Even if they don't want to change some things I would still like to hear their reasoning behind their decisions.

TheCanisDirus

Nov 13, 2017
Also... we scuttled our ship the other evening after a long 50,000 cash in (gotta make sure you dont have any more chickens and skulls stuck in the "secret spots" on the ship)... we were playing instruments on the deck (dont remember the outpost) and as it sank and hit the bottom it launched me straight across the map into the bottom (below the water level) of one of the Legendary Hideout entrances. Could walk around inside and outside of it like a no-clip mode... cant go through the waterfall to the actual Hideout but got to listen to the song and check it out. Random SoT glitches are great. Ships love to launch you everywhere...

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
theyre probably going to fix this soon once other people catch on but right now im reveling in being able to hear the music for other crews skeleton quests. if we've got business nearby when it happens we just leave a crew member behind to keep an eye for the ship to come in and we wait to swoop in to sink the ship and steal the captain skull.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
theyre probably going to fix this soon once other people catch on but right now im reveling in being able to hear the music for other crews skeleton quests. if we've got business nearby when it happens we just leave a crew member behind to keep an eye for the ship to come in and we wait to swoop in to sink the ship and steal the captain skull.
Heh I've done this before.

So I've actually heard of something really cool being done with legends. As more people are getting to legend they are finding out the best ways to maximize their time doing the large 8 map quests.

The current strategy is something really clever and socially emergent. A legend "hires" a sloop to ferry him around to do gold hoarder quests while the rest of his crew handles the harder OoS and merchant quests. At the end the sloop gets part of the final haul.

They said it cuts voyage completion almost in half from 2 hours to 1 or
Less.

Last edited:

dreamcast

Oct 27, 2017

TheCanisDirus

Nov 13, 2017
The pirate legend ship cosmetics are gross. As is the purple pimp-suit you get for reaching PL.. If i ever get there i'd gladly exchange that set for something else in the normal cosmetic loot pool. Rare seems to be saving anything remotely interesting for future content drops so people come back to the game or something. For a game who's ONLY progression is the stuff you wear or how your ship looks... it's got some of the most lackluster skins i've ever seen. Exactly why i'm only wearing the crap rip shorts and belt you spawn with and nothing else...still... and i'm lvl 38/39/37.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The pirate legend ship cosmetics are gross. As is the purple pimp-suit you get for reaching PL.. If i ever get there i'd gladly exchange that set for something else in the normal cosmetic loot pool. Rare seems to be saving anything remotely interesting for future content drops so people come back to the game or something. For a game who's ONLY progression is the stuff you wear or how your ship looks... it's got some of the most lackluster skins i've ever seen. Exactly why i'm only wearing the crap rip shorts and belt you spawn with and nothing else...still... and i'm lvl 38/39/37.
some of the leather jackets are really kool.

I kind of wish I could change the physical look of my pirate tho (I didn't expect to love the game as much as I do and rushed through the character 'creator'), hopefully they add that to the game later on, even if you have to spend gold to do it.

I almost ploped $60 for the game last night too, but figured I only had to wait a few more days till GOW so I finished Kingdom Come instead.

I can't believe the thought even passed my mind, the thirst is real.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany

I kind of wish I could change the physical look of my pirate tho (I didn't expect to love the game as much as I do and rushed through the character 'creator'), hopefully they add that to the game later on, even if you have to spend gold to do it.

I almost ploped $60 for the game last night too, but figured I only had to wait a few more days till GOW so I finished Kingdom Come instead.

If you really want to buy it, wait for a deal, this will drop to 20 bucks incredibly soon.

TheCanisDirus

Nov 13, 2017

I personally find most of it odd looking, too "warm" looking and far too similar. I'd love a bunch of simple options as well. Give us like 15 different short sleeve shirts with simple design differences... same with pants, shorts, hats etc. Give us bandannas, striped sailor shirts and the lot. Why not give us shaders or the ability to buy different color variants of the same items?

How does Microsoft not have a single small studio (contract work) working on weekly cosmetics and simply churning stuff out?

OmarTheHippo

Oct 27, 2017
Don't listen to this liar. He shelled out 350 gold on a beard

dreamcast

Oct 27, 2017
Had a new experience last night. My son and I were playing when another sloop comes near us at a shipwreck. It anchors but after waving and saying "Ahoy!" was friendly. My son and the guy on the other ship both go down to the shipwreck. My son gets a skull and leaves. We set sail and the guy starts following us. We figure we're in for a battle. But as we approach the next island in our voyage, through quick chat, the guy says he has a Marauder's Chest and he wants us to take it off of him. We anchor at the island and the guy proceeds to put everything he has on our boat.

At this point, he joins our crew and helps us finish he voyage. We play music. He helps us sail. And then we turn our stuff in at an outpost. He told us he's just looking to sail around and have fun, even when we tell him he can take some of the stuff and turn it in.

It was a lot of fun and a great experience. Would like to see something similar happen on a sloop in the future. Perhaps 4-6 man crew. Would be a blast!

SealedSeven

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

There was a post on reddit someone had a reply from Rare saying to "Hold on a bit before resetting your pirate to lose everything" and that "there's something coming but still little ways off". I could find the post later, or if someone else finds it.

Status
Not open for further replies.