• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OmarTheHippo

Oct 27, 2017
Thrones were a fun little side quest. All the people we recruited to help had never teamed up with people before, so it was cool to see people experiencing the game in a new way

But besides the outfits, the rep boost is tiny and the gold reward is minuscule. And once again the "clues" were rather disappointing. This game has treasure maps, riddles, and skeleton battles! All sorts of clever way to learn/earn locations. But instead clues were just single sentences with the island name in them...

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
After half an hour I'm finally on the Marauder's Arch throne, now I only have to wait a few more hours for another random team to arrive to complete this, while a skeleton started to sink my ship. Rare, always has a hand for a great and fun gameplay mechanic. /s

In all seriousness, it's pure bullshit, what an awful mechanic. I really believe now that rare just lost it to create good and fun gameplay mechanics. Who the fuck came up with the idea that you can only do half of these thrones with random people? Pure luck based if anyone comes by.

And no, like someone on Reddit suggested, just asking other people doesn't work, lol, it's still sea of thieves. 90% just attacks you or doesn't even answer, it's absolutely awful and pure stress like everything else in this game.

"Hey wouldn't it be fun if we up the shark count x8?"
Pure stress.
"Hey isn't it fun in later quest that skeletons are fucking awfully hard and ENDLESSLY respawn?"
Pure stress.

And now this.

It's. Just. Not. Fun.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
After half an hour I'm finally on the Marauder's Arch throne, now I only have to wait a few more hours for another random team to arrive to complete this, while a skeleton started to sink my ship. Rare, always has a hand for a great and fun gameplay mechanic. /s

In all seriousness, it's pure bullshit, what an awful mechanic. I really believe now that rare just lost it to create good and fun gameplay mechanics. Who the fuck came up with the idea that you can only do half of these thrones with random people? Pure luck based if anyone comes by.

And no, like someone on Reddit suggested, just asking other people doesn't work, lol, it's still sea of thieves. 90% just attacks you or doesn't even answer, it's absolutely awful and pure stress like everything else in this game.

Pure stress.
"Hey isn't it fun in later quest that skeletons are fucking awfully hard and ENDLESSLY respawn?"
Pure stress.

And now this.

It's. Just. Not. Fun.

Sorry you had a shit time... I've joined up with three separate random crews today while playing. They do exist! Worth pointing out that the five thrones you can reach solo will get you enough doubloons to buy two out of three of the event items. So you don't have to do the social ones. But they're great if you manage to talk to another team. You only need one other person for these ones too. Not a team of five like with Meg. I think the mechanic is really fun.

OmarTheHippo

Oct 27, 2017
Well, to be fair, maybe better to find a crew and then go to the thrones together?

I assume that was what Rare intended, seeing as the "waiting a few more hours" doesn't sound too enjoyable. Also the 30 minutes of trying was more enjoyable with a group to tease and joke around about the difficulty. And more cannons to try different approaches

(Marauder's was definitely the most difficult. Smuggler's the hardest to find)

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Yeah, don't get me wrong, I do understand the intention behind this, but it's just poorly implemented.

Searching for others sounds so easy but I already said that 90% are still attacking you like crazy for no reason. And maybe if you can get some people talked into doing it, maybe even again, in Marauder's Arch you just can wait because nobody who was already up there will do it again for nothing, specially not for a random dude.
They would laugh and shout "fuck off mate". :D

And personally, I can't even find much people today, my server is a ghost town today.

Inti

Nov 20, 2017

Pure stress.
Pure stress.

And now this.

It's. Just. Not. Fun.

Yeah, I could imagine someone having a bad time. Luckily my experience has been the exact opposite. With the Meg (completed it three times) and now the thrones, I have had zero issue finding people. It just happens naturally. I started with the ones I could do Solo. On the Way met son people, we continued to the ones we needed with another crew. We ended up being 4 sloop, all helping each other. It was a great experience, in my opinion one of the things that make this game so special.

Having said that, I can see how my experience could have been yours, maybe luck is too much of factor in this things.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, multiple crew stuff sucks. As hard as you are finding it today, it'll be exponentially more difficult with each passing day.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I can't play the game until Sunday. I really hope I can find another crew then.

Rare really need to implement some sort of beacon system such as a flare gun you can fire when you need help. Especially if all future challenges are going to require multiple crews. They also need to add incentives such as Xp boost for helping other pirates.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I'm not sure why they went on that Coloseum show. If you don't have much to say, don't say anything at all. Fans will want lots of things since the game didn't launch with a very broad set of features. Just build the game, give developer updates, hype the expansions.

I love their open communication style.. but it can also hurt them sometimes I think.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
i legitimately dont understand why youd do a multiple crew throne without already being teamed up and then blaming the game for it

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
i legitimately dont understand why youd do a multiple crew throne without already being teamed up and then blaming the game for it

Lol, sure, because it's my fault that the game has awful game mechanics.

Where do I meet up? Where am I sailing to? Without getting killed immediately? The most logical thing would be to wait at the place where you have to work together and that would be the throne, what's so hard about understanding this? This game doesn't have a safe place, no lobby, no meet up island, where else would I do that? Sailing randomly through the world until I find someone would be a better solution or what?

Some defenses this game gets are straight up ridiculous sometimes.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

Where do I meet up? Where am I sailing to? Without getting killed immediately? The most logical thing would be to wait at the place where you have to work together and that would be the throne, what's so hard about understanding this? This game doesn't have a safe place, no lobby, no meet up island, where else would I do that? Sailing randomly through the world until I find someone would be a better solution or what?

After posting that I've met three other crews today I've just been playing with a friend to help him get the thrones and ran into ANOTHER three sloops who all wanted to help. I just play the game and when I run into someone I speak to them and, more often that not, they'll help, I can totally see a bad experience souring it though. Maybe I'm just super lucky. But as I said before, you don't need to do the social ones. But they're not that hard to do. I personally love how it's integrated. Always feels risky and that gives the best reward. Again, sorry you've had a shit experience. I've had such a blast today, I wish you could've experienced that.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017

While I'm not a fan of forced co-op in this game, see above, he's right. Sitting at the throne isn't the best way to accomplish that goal. I'd recommend in the future doing regular voyages and chatting up ships as you are see them using the loud speaker to see if they would be (potentially) interested

Swig

Oct 28, 2017
Hm, I don't like the Bone Crusher gear. Is that all you can get from these quests, as far as cosmetics go? I'm thinking about just turning in my Bilge Coins for money, since it sounds like the rep bonuses don't do you much good, especially past 30.

Deleted member 274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao this "we added chairs where you can do the sitting animation on" thing is super fucking shallow, even for Sea Of Thieves standards.

Absolutely embarrasing

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Hm, I don't like the Bone Crusher gear. Is that all you can get from these quests, as far as cosmetics go? I'm thinking about just turning in my Bilge Coins for money, since it sounds like the rep bonuses don't do you much good, especially past 30.

Yep, the bone gear is the only time limited reward from this weekly event. I imagine the doubloons will roll over to the other weekly events (like Xur's strange coins?) but I don't know if that's confirmed.

Hex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love this fucking game.
It is my Zen right now, as I have been fortunate to not experience any griefing.
(Have been attacked once, but it was at night and I had forgotten to douse my lights....so I quickly doused my lights and did an anchor assisted hard turn to grab the wind and then vanished)
The game is so damned gorgeous, the water the sunrise and the sunsets, the stars ...everything.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I could imagine someone having a bad time. Luckily my experience has been the exact opposite. With the Meg (completed it three times) and now the thrones, I have had zero issue finding people. It just happens naturally. I started with the ones I could do Solo. On the Way met son people, we continued to the ones we needed with another crew. We ended up being 4 sloop, all helping each other. It was a great experience, in my opinion one of the things that make this game so special.

Having said that, I can see how my experience could have been yours, maybe luck is too much of factor in this things.

My experience has been more like yours. I did Meg three or four times and each time I had no problem finding crews willing to team up, whether they were other galleons or solo sloops. Hell, half the time we've had other crews fall over themselves such was their rush to join forces:

https://clips.twitch.tv/IncredulousBrainyPeanutCmonBruh

Swig

Oct 28, 2017
Lmao this "we added chairs where you can do the sitting animation on" thing is super fucking shallow, even for Sea Of Thieves standards.

Absolutely embarrasing

I sort of agree, but I can see their point. It's about exploration and teamwork. The teamwork aspect is kind of shallow, especially compared to the Meg fight, but I get it.

The problem is most people will just Google the Thrones and take the fastest and easiest path. Which is fine.

I think it would have been cooler to just have a quest line, where you get items along the way (sort of like the Merrick thing), which ends in finding the Thrones. And a better backstory. Not just "hey, we built some chairs.. go find them and it in them and we'll give you stuff". It could have been a quest line with a decent story about finding and maybe fighting a skeleton king or something or just some lore that explains more about the Order of Souls and the skeletons, ending with you taking the throne and getting some big reward. Anything would have been better than "Hey, we built some chairs, go sit in them for stuff!".

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Not at all liking the thrones. Literally needle in a haystack searching. At least they give you the island name, but yeah, no thanks. Oh well, at least it's an easy cheese.

Deleted member 274

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is no teamwork in this outside of "let's not shoot each other and let's use the same cannon the guy who got there used"

It's so fucking lame and forced as hell

I know they're weirdly obsessed about making different crews be friendly with each other and have some stories to tell but this is the wrong to do it, it's just an uninspired nuisance.

It's a load of work for a little shitty reward, like most stuff in the game but worse, somehow.

Deleted member 6562

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how to "start" the quest, like how to get the clues to the islands to sail to. I talked to the guy in the tavern.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Absolutely embarrasing
Keep in mind this is only one of their weekly small events between the big update. And its a great step in the right direction.

1. It's fun there is another avenue that fosters coop where you can use it to rank up the other factions. This is NEEDED for all further adventures.

2. It's incredible simple but the stories coming from it are fun.

For instance, I logged in this morning when it went live because I hard work late. I used a big SoT discord I'm in to grab a galleon and we headed out. Found a sloop on the horizon and asked him for help. He obliged. We did 2 or so thrones with him, having some laughs over close calls/bad aim and whatnot. When we were at Smugglers a random joined his party and just wasn't listening to us/didn't care. He kept killing us when we tried to get our cooperative friend to sail his ship over to the throne. In the end we decided that he should just come on our boat, so he did, and our new 5 galleon crew made short work of the sloop with the annoying rando on it.

I hopped on a little later in a sloop to knock out some solo thrones, and I ran into a friendly galleon at Hidden Spring Keep. Told them I would have loved to help with the others but this was my last one before I had to get off. We worked together to get that one and then had a brilliant idea. One of the galleon crew just left his crew to officially join mine, that way everyone stayed in chat but they had people from different crews. They gave me a captains chest for the help, which I delivered and then got off.

Here is what I posted on the subreddit about my suggestions.

1. Hungering deep was a cool experience but way too disconnected from the base experience. It would be nice if it rewarded rep in some way.

2. The one and done nature. I know Rare has said they will look into making repeating these events more rewardng. But this should apply to these weekly or biweekly bilgerat events too. Imagine this, you beat all 10 skeleton thrones. Once you do the "Round II" of the commendation unlocks. It tasks you with doing the same thrones again, but with diminished returns. Want to get that extra letter, maybe the bilgerat has something else cool in stock? Now you get 6 doubloons with Large thrones, 4 with small. Once you do this, it can diminish again, until it reaches a point where its balanced versus the rest of the game. And another idea. Don't remove the skeleton thrones. Instead, add more and make them random, like shipwrecks and barrels and island loot. So 2 weeks from now I can be doing a gold hoarder mission when I spot a throne. Sitting on it can maybe produce a physical item, or just some OoS rep. Same with the Meg (and Kraken). Give us rewards for killing them. Imagine the meg spewing out treasure and planks and such that she ate when she took a bite out of ships. Same with the Kraken.

3. This is more of an overall suggestion but inspired from the bilge rats letters.... Let us buy rep for gold.
Once you get into and past the 30's, unless you are buying stuff for the sake of having it you are amassing a hoard of gold you aren't using. It becomes meaningless. Letting us use our gold for rep packaging gives us a gold sink, lessens the grind, and makes gold more meaningful. I feel sorry for anyone who bought the gold from the Bilge Rats as Rep, as big or small as you think the chunk was, is infinitely more important.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
Nailed it last night before the same problem arises as happened with Meg...

What's the incentive once you've done it

40 Dubloons spare as already at legendary with enough gold

OmarTheHippo

Oct 27, 2017
Once you get into and past the 30's, unless you are buying stuff for the sake of having it you are amassing a hoard of gold you aren't using. It becomes meaningless. Letting us use our gold for rep packaging gives us a gold sink, lessens the grind, and makes gold more meaningful.
I don't completely understand the "lessen the grind" mentality. What exactly does getting to max level quicker help? Your solution leads to the game having nothing to do, rather than grinding to do

The drive towards max level is... strange in this game

The answer to excessive gold in this game is giving us content to buy with it. And with it an economy makeover. Make cooler things more expensive!

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Nailed it last night before the same problem arises as happened with Meg...

What's the incentive once you've done it

40 Dubloons spare as already at legendary with enough gold

I'm assuming the doubloons carry over to the next weekly events like Strange Coins. Would think that the rep and gold packages are always available and there'll always be some kind of cosmetic attached to the event. Obviously guesses.

Pandy

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Went on yesterday planning to try a few of the solo thrones just to get the feel of it, before doing a longer session later today to hopefully tidy up the rest.

Was sailing a solo sloop North of Shipwreck Bay when I passed a convoy of two galleons and a sloop, all with Shark Hunter sails. I thought about tagging along, but because of the sails I figured they had been grouped for a while and didn't want to interfere when I was going to be logging off shortly.

About 20 seconds later I look behind me to see that the Kraken has emerged and is attacking one of the galleons! Was an awesome sight seeing the three ships with matching sails and the Kraken tentacles in amongst them.
Went back to help out for fun, and once it was dispatched we sailed to Shipwreck to get the throne there together. Great end to the session.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Went on yesterday planning to try a few of the solo thrones just to get the feel of it, before doing a longer session later today to hopefully tidy up the rest.

Was sailing a solo sloop North of Shipwreck Bay when I passed a convoy of two galleons and a sloop, all with Shark Hunter sails. I thought about tagging along, but because of the sails I figured they had been grouped for a while and didn't want to interfere when I was going to be logging off shortly.

About 20 seconds later I look behind me to see that the Kraken has emerged and is attacking one of the galleons! Was an awesome sight seeing the three ships with matching sails and the Kraken tentacles in amongst them.
Went back to help out for fun, and once it was dispatched we sailed to Shipwreck to get the throne there together. Great end to the session.

I fucking love this game <3

Oct 30, 2017
I'm assuming the doubloons carry over to the next weekly events like Strange Coins. Would think that the rep and gold packages are always available and there'll always be some kind of cosmetic attached to the event. Obviously guesses.

My thoughts exactly - thinking if the next ones harder or I don't have time I can at least buy the cosmetics or something

MisterMangu

Banned
Feb 12, 2018
I've been playing this game for a little under a week now. It is one of the most fun and addicting games I've ever played.

My first night, I was just dropped in a galleon with no idea what to expect and just another dude messing around. Suddenly another galleon comes and they're all screaming "we come in peace! Lets do meg!" So we grouped up and I saw how awesome that was before being eaten by the giant beast. A few hours later of sailing and island hopping gathering skulls, I see another galleon get destroyed by the Kraken over in the distance. The danger is real!

From the graphics, to how crews on a ship work (you actually run a ship rather than become the ship), and the pirating/pvp, it's utterly fantastic. The foundations for this game have potential like I've never seen and I understand why people love this game so much.

With that being said...it really feels like I'm playing an alpha or early access game.

- Only one mob type (skeletons)
- Only one food type (bananas). Like, why?
- Only two types of ships.
- No loot drops. Could be gold, could be fins/teeth from sharks. Tentacles off the kraken..but nothing.
- There aren't any AI sailing around which would make the world feel more..alive? I know this one is being implemented soon.
- The only quests so far are kill X or collect Y, and it's all for rep grinding and rep grinding alone. Nothing else aside the timed events are added.
- I've encountered no lore thus far.
- Enemy AI is pretty bad.
- The combat, melee in particular, also looks and feels super wonky and not refined. For a game who's main attraction is pirating..this should be worked on.
- No unique skins from quests/missions and what not.
- No skills like crafting, cooking, fishing etc.
- Can only carry 5 bullets at a time...why can't we get an ammo pouch? Or hold multiple weapons? It's annoying having to run back to the ship constantly to get ammo. This one is more of a personal gripe I admit.

There's an insane amount of content missing, this really needs a major patch to address all of this. It's sorely needed, I would be devastated to see a game with such potential to be wasted.

Last edited:

Consensual

Oct 25, 2017
After posting that I've met three other crews today I've just been playing with a friend to help him get the thrones and ran into ANOTHER three sloops who all wanted to help. I just play the game and when I run into someone I speak to them and, more often that not, they'll help, I can totally see a bad experience souring it though. Maybe I'm just super lucky. But as I said before, you don't need to do the social ones. But they're not that hard to do. I personally love how it's integrated. Always feels risky and that gives the best reward. Again, sorry you've had a shit experience. I've had such a blast today, I wish you could've experienced that.

My experience has been more like yours. I did Meg three or four times and each time I had no problem finding crews willing to team up, whether they were other galleons or solo sloops. Hell, half the time we've had other crews fall over themselves such was their rush to join forces:

https://clips.twitch.tv/IncredulousBrainyPeanutCmonBruh

I'm going to echo these sentiments. Whenever I've tried to do something with multiple crews, we've come across multiple ships and opened some communication. Almost every single time they've been willing and eager to help, even if they're already done the quest before. If you see a ship nearby, go close enough for the Speaking Trumpet to work, or type if you're on the PC. It's a game about sailing and piracy. Sail around, find another crew, determine whether they are friend or foe. If they're a friend, help them. If they're a foe, vanquish thine enemy!

I've had nothing but good, fun, memorable or amusing interactions with other crews since launch. The only time I ran into any griefers was in the Closed Beta. It really sucks for people who have had bad experiences with the game, I can understand why it would put people off. I'm sure I'd be down on this game if I had nothing but negative interactions or zero interactions. But thankfully the opposite is true, and I'm glad that they're adding more and more content.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing this game for a little under a week now. It is one of the most fun and addicting games I've ever played.

My first night, I was just dropped in a galleon with no idea what to expect and just another dude messing around. Suddenly another galleon comes and they're all screaming "we come in peace! Lets do meg!" So we grouped up and I saw how awesome that was before being eaten by the giant beast. A few hours later of sailing and island hopping gathering skulls, I see another galleon get destroyed by the Kraken over in the distance. The danger is real!

From the graphics, to how crews on a ship work (you actually run a ship rather than become the ship), and the pirating/pvp, it's utterly fantastic. The foundations for this game have potential like I've never seen and I understand why people love this game so much.

With that being said...it really feels like I'm playing an alpha or early access game.

- Only one mob type (skeletons)
- Only one food type (bananas). Like, why?
- Only two types of ships.
- No loot drops. Could be gold, could be fins/teeth from sharks. Tentacles off the kraken..but nothing.
- There aren't any AI sailing around which would make the world feel more..alive? I know this one is being implemented soon.
- The only quests so far are kill X or collect Y, and it's all for rep grinding and rep grinding alone. Nothing else aside the timed events are added.
- I've encountered no lore thus far.
- Enemy AI is pretty bad.
- The combat, melee in particular, also looks and feels super wonky and not refined. For a game who's main attraction is pirating..this should be worked on.
- No unique skins from quests/missions and what not.
- No skills like crafting, cooking, fishing etc.
- Can only carry 5 bullets at a time...why can't we get an ammo pouch? Or hold multiple weapons? It's annoying having to run back to the ship constantly to get ammo. This one is more of a personal gripe I admit.

There's an insane amount of content missing, this really needs a major patch to address all of this. It's sorely needed, I would be devastated to see a game with such potential to be wasted.
Yeah it's pretty crazy.

Extremely solid foundation, just kinda barebones (heh). Stuff like having more NPCs in outposts, a blacksmith, fisherfolk, drunks etc. Anything to make the world feel more alive.

Having different food types is a good one, finding coconuts that are more rare than bananas but heal you in one hit or something. Was stunned when killing the kraken doesn't actually get you anything.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not much - don't bother and save them
I don't get this sentiment. Yeah it's not a HUGE boost, but its fairly comparable given the time put in to the thrones. I bought a merchant one and then did some merchant missions. I did 3 merchant missions back to back. Off the top of my head it was 2 gold pigs, 3 black pigs then 2 gold chickens 2 black chickens then 1 gold chicken (I already had it on my boat). Those missions moved the needle (from what I can tell) a little bit less or just about even to what the rep boost gave me, And that was like 2 hours of play or something like that.

Gold is useless in this game once you have decent cosmetics. Rep is the thing that unlocks the cooler stuff.
I don't completely understand the "lessen the grind" mentality. What exactly does getting to max level quicker help? Your solution leads to the game having nothing to do, rather than grinding to do

The drive towards max level is... strange in this game

The answer to excessive gold in this game is giving us content to buy with it. And with it an economy makeover. Make cooler things more expensive!

Bro the entire, self advertised point of this game is to get to Pirate Legend. Rare even said that future updates will add stuff exclusive to pirate legends. I want that gear. I'm all about having fun on the way there (I am the last person who wants to fort hop or do cheeses or go at max efficiency) but the grind is fucking BRUTAL. I mean it never feels good in a video game to get done with a long quest, with great loot, only to see your needle move a tiny hair.

Status
Not open for further replies.