• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

klaus

Oct 28, 2017
So we're close to a fort where a galleon is finishing the last waves. Server says it's gonna close in a few minutes. I grab a boom boom, jump off the ship and swim towards the outpost.

This is what happened afterwards:

Best.
Game.
Ever.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
So we're close to a fort where a galleon is finishing the last waves. Server says it's gonna close in a few minutes. I grab a boom boom, jump off the ship and swim towards the outpost.

Best.
Game.
Ever.

Wow! I bet your heart was beating so fast! I felt it!

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA

Best.
Game.
Ever.

Ho-lee gods, man. That is a beautiful play. Cheers to you for pulling that off successfully, and bad luck to that crew.

As we're sharing plays, here's one I had this weekend where I somehow stopped a guy from exploding a barrel on our deck.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting thing to note from the Sea of Thieves Twitter. The Skeleton Thrones will remain once the event is over. You won't earn doubloons for them but you can still tick off the commendations (for what it's worth).

I assumed they'd remove them from the world but quite nice that they're leaving them there. I guess they're all in weird places so new players aren't going to be running in to them all of the time.

Also confirmed that the doubloon store will remain after this event so worth holding on to doubloons if you don't want to spend them yet.

Hex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ho-lee gods, man. That is a beautiful play. Cheers to you for pulling that off successfully, and bad luck to that crew.

As we're sharing plays, here's one I had this weekend where I somehow stopped a guy from exploding a barrel on our deck.

Why would he do that?
Hold the barrel, if the other party shoots you then BOOM.
Carry the barrel below as fast as possible while keeping the other side in front of you.
"I am going to lay it on the deck so that I can shoot it while under fire!"
That makes no sense

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Why would he do that?
Hold the barrel, if the other party shoots you then BOOM.
Carry the barrel below as fast as possible while keeping the other side in front of you.
"I am going to lay it on the deck so that I can shoot it while under fire!"
That makes no sense

Yeah his "plan" was suiciding. A much better strategy would have been to carry the barrel down to the bottom deck before doing anything and shooting it there rather than at the wheel. I can't believe it didn't explode either when he shot it or when I shot him. If it had blown we would've been screwed as we only had one other player on our galleon and the other was on the opposing sloop sailing them into a storm.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Servers off tomorrow 10am-2pm as usual for scheduled maintenance.

BRING ME BACK MEG.

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
They should absolutely keep the events. Just remove the rewards.

Have merricks questline be modified a bit, have skeleton thrones throughout the world (random spots)

Kraken and meg should drop loot.

As for the coop argument I personally love it. But it could be more interesting if it required 2 crew coop to start/beat, but then it dropped physical rewards.

Not even sloops (unless they are solo) want to cooperate at skull forts any more. Hell if I was in a duo sloop or galleon and we run into some solo dude on a fort you best believe I'm sinking them. Don't wanna split those riches and we can easily do it with 2 people.

But if you force cooperation at the beginning and then see what happens when loot appears, that to me sounds like the best scenario for future events.

With Skele ships, my hope is teams will have to team up to take them down, loot is dropped, and then PVP begins to fight over it (or you can agree to share it)

Also - finally hit Pirate Legend. Phew, what a grind!

We're pretty good at the PVP, we hide nothing nowadays.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Thought I'd dive back into this game this week for the first time in a couple of months to catch up on all the stuff I've missed, it seems that The Hungering was a timed event that I've missed? That blows.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Thought I'd dive back into this game this week for the first time in a couple of months to catch up on all the stuff I've missed, it seems that The Hungering was a timed event that I've missed? That blows.

Kind of. The actual questline is gone (it was a timed event) but all the gameplay stuff from the event (Speaking Trumpet, drum, Megladon fight) are in the base game now. There's a new timed event on at the moment (Skeleton Thrones).

To be honest, the questline that you missed wasn't anything to cry about. It was a short 'follow the clues' journey that had you visiting a couple of spots on the map to read journals. The main purpose of it was to introduce you to the new items (speaking trumpet and drum) and then it threw you into a situation where you had to use the new tools to gather other rival crews to join forces to summon the shark which was awesome for some (I loved the opportunity to work together with others) and a nightmare for others (that just failed to find another team that would be friendly and not attack them). As always, YMMV. The shark is (as of tomorrow) an emergent threat in the world rather than a specific boss that needs to be summoned at a specific spot. You've basically just missed some time limited cosmetics.

The current event, Skeleton Thrones, has had more success with forced co-op in that you can do a sizeable chunk of the event solo if you don't want to be social.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Kind of. The actual questline is gone (it was a timed event) but all the gameplay stuff from the event (Speaking Trumpet, drum, Megladon fight) are in the base game now. There's a new timed event on at the moment (Skeleton Thrones).

To be honest, the questline that you missed wasn't anything to cry about. It was a short 'follow the clues' journey that had you visiting a couple of spots on the map to read journals. The main purpose of it was to introduce you to the new items (speaking trumpet and drum) and then it threw you into a situation where you had to use the new tools to gather other rival crews to join forces to summon the shark which was awesome for some (I loved the opportunity to work together with others) and a nightmare for others (that just failed to find another team that would be friendly and not attack them). As always, YMMV. The shark is (as of tomorrow) an emergent threat in the world rather than a specific boss that needs to be summoned at a specific spot. You've basically just missed some time limited cosmetics.

The current event, Skeleton Thrones, has had more success with forced co-op in that you can do a sizeable chunk of the event solo if you don't want to be social.

Thank you for this very thorough reply!

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Incredible session. Joined a gally crew. They said they were fighting another galleon for a fort. As I was loading in they said they sank. So I spawned in at the fresh boat and rushed to the fort. Other galleon had completed it just before we got there and set sail a little bit after. Couldn't tell if they got they high value items and bailed or took the key. I cannoned over and saw the door was still shut. The chase was on.

At some point in us chasing and fighting a sloop joined the fray, first attacking us. We told them the other guys had the key so they went on to attack them. We stayed behind at the fort to resupply. The sloop sank in its valiant effort but we were stocked for another fight as the galleon was coming back. In the ensuing clusterfuck we sank them but our ship sank to. I managed to retrieve the key and me and another dude were low on ammo, low on bananas, and trying to swim to dry ground with the key.

Sharks would come every now and then and we had to resort to swording them to death. I don't know if you've ever been stuck at open water in this game but the waves can get so high you cant see the horizon. We had no idea where the closest land was so we took a gamble and started swimming to these big sea rocks. The swim was so long both galleons ended up coming back into the area. I died just before we got to the rocks. My buddy, somehow, managed to find a spot on the rocks he could get to from the water and was now safe, on ground, with the key.

Knowing this we peeled off from the fight.... I wanted to let them sink us to trick them into thinking we lost the key too but whatever. They ended up sailing to the fort, we picked up our man with the key and decided to sail to the other part of the world and back in hopes the galleon would have left. On our way back we saw those fuckers WERE STILL THERE WAITING. And they had no idea if we had the key or not. Our presence in the area probably gave it away now. We were wondering what to do when eventually we came to a consensus of "fuck it, we're going in"

However I wasn't gonna let us potentially sink and let them have the key after all that. So as my crew rammed their ship and proceeded to fight, I jumped off into the water, suffocating, being attacked by a shark, and hid the key back on the fort. At this point someone on our crew said our ship was toast.... until he shouted "wait a second I think I saved it!" He claimed 2 of them were bailing out water from the map room while being attacked but they pulled through and we were repaired. However, our galleons were at a bit of a stalemate since we were both anchored and not aimed right.

Eventually we managed to raise anchor, turn, and lay into them. They stood no chance at this point and we managed to sink them. We mopped up the stragglers and proceeded to get our VERY hard earned loot.

Once everything was on board I asked to check for stowaways... surely enough someone was hiding on the bottom deck lol. Killed him, went to the outpost, and started selling. We sold our last stuff as the galleon came back for a ram. We managed to fuck them up again and it seemed they quit after this.

Was it an efficient use of time? No. Was that the most satisfying fort ever? Hell yes,

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Had some a sloop so salty we sank them when they rolled up on us at a skullfort with 25 minutes to go they dedicted the last five minutes of the server being up to making sure we couldnt get to the outpost to sell anything

Wouldve had some respect if they took something at least, they had the opportunity

SealedSeven

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
https://www.seaofthieves.com/forum/topic/64321/patch-notes-discussion-1-1-3

Patch Notes - 1.1.3
Calling all well-travelled Pirates! The Skeleton Thrones Bilge Rat Adventure is in its final week, so get your hands (or hook) on the Bone Crusher jacket, dress and hat before they are removed! The Bilge Rats have gone out to some of the remotest locations within the Sea of Thieves and are now encouraging would-be challengers to find these Thrones out there in far-flung parts of the world.

As mentioned last week, other Megalodons have now emerged to join the ranks of the Kraken and sharks to present a new permanent threat in the seas. Patch 1.1.3 also brings with it key performance improvements and fixes for known issues.

Updates
  • Megalodon - Since the retreat of The Hungering One back into the deep, there have been reported sightings of other Megalodons terrorising the Sea of Thieves. It's been discovered that these new Megalodons have different personalities - some seem to turn tail at the sight of a Galleon, whilst others are said to be just as unforgiving as The Hungering One!
  • Gold bag icons - The icons for the Bilge Rat gold bags have been updated to better show the value of the gold within!
Performance Improvements
  • Reduced frequency of client hangs on Skeleton Forts.
  • Significantly improved stability when loading new areas.
  • Multiple server and client crash fixes.
    Further improvements and optimisations for all platforms are ongoing.
Fixed Issues
  • Resolved an 'X Marks the Spot' location on Kraken's Fall where the chest was impossible to dig up.
  • Grand Admiral Hull livery on the Sloop now correctly matches the Galleon.
  • Resolved an issue causing the PC client to hang upon closing.
Known Issues
  • Some players travel in an unintended direction when fired from a cannon.
  • Being poisoned by a snake can show the VFX a second time.
  • Bilge Rat Doubloons have not been correctly rewarded to a number of players who earned them through the Skeleton Thrones event.
    We are investigating a resolution for this and will share information when available.
  • The Hungering Deep rewards were not received by a number of players who earned them.
    We are currently rolling out a fix to this issue which will award missing rewards from The Hungering Deep. This will take some time, so keep an eye on the weekly patch notes to see when this rollout is complete.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Snake bites is not fixed yet. Just a known issue :(

Sloops are confirmed not safe from Meg.

Oh shit, I misread it! Didn't realise it was in known issues!

Happy to here about Meg attacks on sloops. I'll often take a sloop out and I kinda miss Kraken interactions. Not completely (they're often a pain in the ass) but kinda success that they're immune.

SealedSeven

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

EdMonster's encounter with Meg

also reports that the Galleon's wheel is now 1 wheel turn to turn, not 2 now. May be a glitch or secret patch. Not sure why it would change/how it changed if it was accidental...

Haruko

Oct 25, 2017
Replayability added for next adventure "gunpowder skeletons" with legendary commendations.

But biggest news of all, rep bundles give you a whole level of rep. Regardless if you are level 1 or 49. So this is HUGE for high level peeps.

Sounds like I should save my spare doubloons for the next Bilge Rat event then, to take advantage of the rep bundle buff?

Deleted member 274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao they finally fixed the loot odds for legendary voyages that were supposed to be improved a month ago without mentioning it in the patch notes

Swig

Oct 28, 2017
I really hope they don't make working with other crews a constant thing. It's such a chore to find another ship that isn't full of toxic XBox assholes. If most of the future challenges revolve around this, I'm going to lose interest pretty quickly.

Deleted member 274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's a brand new bug where your ship's empty cannonball barrels automatically restock every certain time as if they were barrels from an outpost.

Probably the only worthwhile addition this week lol

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I really hope they don't make working with other crews a constant thing. It's such a chore to find another ship that isn't full of toxic XBox assholes. If most of the future challenges revolve around this, I'm going to lose interest pretty quickly.

They've said in this week's video that it's something they want to encourage with the biweekly events. So expect to get social! I'm all for it. My favourite ever experiences in Sea of Thieves have been during social events.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I find this interesting. I'm in a big community discord that is mostly PC players, so that is who I play with. I don't ever mention I'm on Xbox if I can since the response can be so hostile. People view me as a liability at times.

Whenever we get into PvP and the other crew isn't that good I always hear them joking about how they must be Xbox scrubs and all that. I've been attacked by crews of people who just bunny hop shotgun me and call me an Xbox scrub, dropping the fgt bomb in there for good measure. In my experience PC players are the most toxic.

Consensual

Oct 25, 2017
Hopped on today, wanted to try doing the thrones. Rest of my friends were still playing another game. So I started a closed crew on the galleon and figured I'd sail around hoping to spot a Megalodon until my friends hopped on. Whilst sailing around, I spotted a galleon following me. I let them get close, tried to communicate and got nothing back. Saw people on their cannons, and figured they wanted to fight. So I drop my anchor, spin around and light them up. I hit them. They hit me too. My ship was sinking, I didn't care. Sword lunged towards their ship as they escaped.

They had to stop to repair the damage I did. I hopped on board, and killed some of their crew. Kept running around their ship being chased. Managed to kill a few them over a prolonged battle before I finally died. In the ghost ship, they commended me for kicking their ass.

https://streamable.com/3u4q7

By the time I respawn, the rest of my galleon crew have joined the game. We figured we'd do the solo thrones unless we found somebody else. Kayotix, Zvonimir Boban, me and another friend make our way to the closest solo throne, spot a sloop anchored up at an island in the distance. Sail towards the sloop, get close enough to community. Told the sloop crew that we were friendly multiple times, and then one of our crew went over to their ship. Solo sloop, he had already done the thrones, but was happy to help. I stayed on his sloop to help with the sailing, the rest of our crew was on the galleon. An hour and a bit later, all the thrones are done. We offered him a chest we had found to thank him for the help, he accepted. Added each other on XBL, made a new friend. On our voyage we even took out one of the new smaller Megalodons. Accomplished everything we wanted to accomplish, and had a good time too.

That's generally my experience on Sea of Thieves. Be pro-active, communicate but be prepared for battle. Works out fine most of the time, and more often than not you end up with a little story to tell.

I find this interesting. I'm in a big community discord that is mostly PC players, so that is who I play with. I don't ever mention I'm on Xbox if I can since the response can be so hostile. People view me as a liability at times.

Whenever we get into PvP and the other crew isn't that good I always hear them joking about how they must be Xbox scrubs and all that. I've been attacked by crews of people who just bunny hop shotgun me and call me an Xbox scrub, dropping the fgt bomb in there for good measure. In my experience PC players are the most toxic.

I was discussing this with some friends the other day. The shit I hear on PUBG lobbies on the PC is entire magnitudes worse than anything I ever heard in a Halo or Call of Duty lobby. Same goes for any time I play CS:GO and Overwatch on the PC. Pure racism, sexism and homophobia. The PC gaming communities have generally been the most toxic and least self aware out of all the gaming communities. I rarely hear that level of nastiness on the Xbox, and haven't heard much in my limited time playing Call of Duty on the PS4 either.

Last edited:

Kayotix

Oct 25, 2017
The new events have really made me enjoy the game more. It's alot of fun finding random players and helping each other out like Consensual said.

Steelyuhas

Oct 27, 2017
The weekly events are neat, releasing new twists on the game in a temporary event with rewards to earn in a limited time is a nice addition. That said those and the major content drops can't both be temporary campaigns. The major updates need to be a permanent expansion of infrastructure/activities to the game. I'm a little concerned that Rare might not feel that way.

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
The weekly events are neat, releasing new twists on the game in a temporary event with rewards to earn in a limited time is a nice addition. That said those and the major content drops can't both be temporary campaigns. The major updates need to be a permanent expansion of infrastructure/activities to the game. I'm a little concerned that Rare might not feel that way.

Yeah i saw a streamer who couldnt even do the hungering deep before the deadline so now they just have to hope to fight a megalodon randomly AND not even be rewarded for it.

Major expansions should always be permanent content.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Major expansions should always be permanent content.

I know you mean you want the actual questline to stay but, the argument would be, the actual gameplay content of the expansions is permanent. The Hungering Deep had three new gameplay things (the speaking trumpet, the drum (maybe the lightest new item - it's just a new instrument really) and the Meg. All three of those have remained. The actual 'questline' was just a super short 'go here now go here' thing. There's more gameplay content in this weeks weekly event than there was in that questline.

The skeleton thrones that make up the first weekly event are staying in the game permanently. They won't reward doubloons after the event is over but the commendations and titles that they unlock will remain. The thrones will always be there for new players to find.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
probably a dumb question/obvious thought - but it just came to me - i assume cannon balls and pirates follow the same trajectory? could be a much easier way to line up a shot for thrones

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
probably a dumb question/obvious thought - but it just came to me - i assume cannon balls and pirates follow the same trajectory? could be a much easier way to line up a shot for thrones

I think so. At least, when I've been playing with others, people will often use a cannonball as a test shot first. Don't know if it actually works though!

Consensual

Oct 25, 2017

I think so. At least, when I've been playing with others, people will often use a cannonball as a test shot first. Don't know if it actually works though!

Nope. Pirates are heavier than canon balls. So I tend to line up the shot with a canon ball and then raise the canon higher for a pirate.

Status
Not open for further replies.