• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OmarTheHippo

Oct 27, 2017
How do-able are solo Athenas? I'm tempted to try, but all of the Athenas I've done have been in groups of 3 or 4 and were pretty difficult due to the amount of skellies. Am I asking for a ruined evening if I try to solo one of these?
You're asking for a long evening at the very least

If you re-roll to get good OOS islands, and make sure you have gunpowder-a-plenty for the possibility of metal wave after metal wave in hard to get places.... you might be able to do it in 2.5 hours? It's just really tough and risky, but doable

It's completely anecdotal, but most of my group feels skeleton spawn rate is related to your crew size, or number of people on an island. Like how chests are quicker to dig up on a sloop (or a 2 person brig). So that should provide you a little slack compared to what you're used to

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It was great to see my son and 3 of his buddies take to the seas and work together from the outset. They nominated a captain, repairer, spotter, deckhand etc but didn't get down missions as yet. Mostly they just cruised around exploring islands, working the sailing mechanics and iterating strategy when they got attacked and started over. Brilliant game for all ages. They're on the hunt for a Kraken next and I showed them the mission voting etc so they can get into the meat of the game.

Having Rare develop this on Xbox feels like a slice of N64 on the Xbox platform. Heaven.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
It was great to see my son and 3 of his buddies take to the seas and work together from the outset. They nominated a captain, repairer, spotter, deckhand etc but didn't get down missions as yet. Mostly they just cruised around exploring islands, working the sailing mechanics and iterating strategy when they got attacked and started over. Brilliant game for all ages. They're on the hunt for a Kraken next and I showed them the mission voting etc so they can get into the meat of the game.

Having Rare develop this on Xbox feels like a slice of N64 on the Xbox platform. Heaven.

<3 <3

klaus

Oct 28, 2017
You're asking for a long evening at the very least

If you re-roll to get good OOS islands, and make sure you have gunpowder-a-plenty for the possibility of metal wave after metal wave in hard to get places.... you might be able to do it in 2.5 hours? It's just really tough and risky, but doable

It's completely anecdotal, but most of my group feels skeleton spawn rate is related to your crew size, or number of people on an island. Like how chests are quicker to dig up on a sloop (or a 2 person brig). So that should provide you a little slack compared to what you're used to
True words, especially regarding the OOS quests.

Btw, I had an issue yesterday with an Athena quest - got the first batch of animal crates and delivered them, but then the merchant didn't have any prompt to get the remaining cages for the second quest. Tried to kill myself, but it didn't make the prompt appear :/

Did that happen to any of you guys? I'm kind of hesitant to start another quest if this is an issue that pops up again..

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
True words, especially regarding the OOS quests.

Btw, I had an issue yesterday with an Athena quest - got the first batch of animal crates and delivered them, but then the merchant didn't have any prompt to get the remaining cages for the second quest. Tried to kill myself, but it didn't make the prompt appear :/

Did that happen to any of you guys? I'm kind of hesitant to start another quest if this is an issue that pops up again..

Never seen that... I normally just grab them all at the same time though (or start and cancel a load of merchant quests to get all the crates before putting down the Athena so they're there as insurance).

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018

That's cool. All on Xbox?

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Ok, but it says access denied despite being in the pioneer program and playing on that build. How do you gain access?
In addition to what LordAmused said, I believe if you opted in during a running pioneers session you wont actually get to access it until the next build goes live (which is thankfully tomorrow in this case)

Iced_Eagle

Dec 26, 2017
Forsaken Shores is turning out to be one hell of an expansion. So hyped for it! Those cargo runs are exactly what merchants needed, particularly on how you can run a cargo run and another voyage at the same time. I'll finally spend more time focusing on merchants!

Oct 27, 2017
I am having a continuous problem with both of my controllers where certain buttons or all of them will not work with this game. Is it a known problem?

Nothing wrong with all my other games btw

OmarTheHippo

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, they've been pretty dang solid with big releases. HD and CS were more stable than any weekly patch. If it takes them a few extra days, delay away

Granted a lot of the weekly bugs probably come from changes put in place for the big releases (like how the broken bucketing of water on skeletons is most certainly related to the bucket changes they made for Cargo Runs), but that's an argument for a different day...

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Man, good to see a new way to do Merchant Alliance. I've had NO drive to play it the old fashioned way.

Swig

Oct 28, 2017
Did skelly ships, contested a fort and sunk another ship three times defending the fort and got the loot, then had a ton of pvp after that. Tonight was a good night to be a pirate.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
im a little shocked at how long the delay is but i cant offer my speculation without breaking nda

edit- for some reason i thought it was pushed 2 weeks away, having it launch next week makes sense.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I'm fine with this delay..........mostly because I'm traveling and wouldn't have been able to play this week. But hey, I'd rather have it stable than released with a bunch of problems.

klaus

Oct 28, 2017
Better to delay than to release a broken build - it will be worth the wait, I have no doubt about that.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Fine with it. Release it in a good state with everything in it. All good!

Joe posted in the forums. Bugs were pretty serious...

Our priority is to ensure we deliver a stable, polished and bug-free experience that all our players can enjoy. We have just had a weekend of Pioneer testing, which has highlighted a memory issue in the build, which is resulting in an unstable build where a large number of our Pioneers were experiencing crashes. From our investigations this is a complex issue that we are working through solving...

Our goal this week is to resolve the memory issue and [then] get enough Pioneer coverage so that we are confident we have resolved the issue, prior to releasing to all of our players.

Deleted member 274

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In all seriousness, having so many issues so constantly is not ideal but I'll take delays over releasing it and breaking the game for a week like they've done multiple times in the past.

I'll continue to gladly play whatever else until then

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It's been about 2 weeks maybe 3 since I last played but it seems my reputation is lower than I remembered and everything seems to be at 0 for their current exp level. Was there something done on this update or am I just remembering different numbers

Deleted member 274

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's been about 2 weeks maybe 3 since I last played but it seems my reputation is lower than I remembered and everything seems to be at 0 for their current exp level. Was there something done on this update or am I just remembering different numbers
Bugs, my friend

Don't worry tho, your progress is saved directly on their servers so it's impossible to lose it

Rodan

Nov 3, 2017
Did anyone see the Reddit post showing a crew taking out a Skelly fort with only snakes? I don't have a link but saw it the other day, very clever.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Holy crap, that's impressive/mystifying! Must've taken a loooooooong time. Do snakes do much damage to skeletons?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Weirdly in the downtime between new events/content drops I've found fun in just *gasp* playing the game rather than chasing commendations. Done a bunch of Athena voyages with friends and enjoyed a bunch of ship hunting/PvP. I felt a bit down on the experience coming off of FOUR WEEKS of Cursed Sails and then three weeks (or however long it's been) of Cursed Cannonballs but I've found peace with it now. Really buzzing for Forsaken Shores. We all gonna die in the Devil's Roar.

Status
Not open for further replies.