• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Perfect condition items are 350 a piece in the main region, and 700 in the devils roar

That is ass. Kinda what I can't stand with this game is the rewards. Sure stuff in the Devils roar is more or doubled but it takes so much longer or always run the risk of getting destroyed by volcanos. But overall the amount of time you have to put in to get a lot of gold is too much. Unless you do forts or ships and the risk is always higher of people attacking or betraying you.

Also I feel like somebody will always get the boring job of staying on the ship when going to the Devils roar because if not kiss your ship goodbye with the volcanos going off every other second.

Dec 11, 2017
God I really can't stand how it feels like the volcanos are constantly going off and as soon as you go to an island it goes to shit. Plus with every fucking piece of volcanic rock seems like it has a vendetta against you and hits no matter what. Should reduce the amount of damage they do with how frequently they hit.
Yeah, personally I'd like to see them tone down the volcanoes a bit.

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Big smile confirmed!

867a3980-3d7c-47aa-bf0e-c7dee22e1477.PNG

ebbb52f7-a729-4781-9191-6a0a7c930f6b.PNG

AkimbOb-omb

Oct 30, 2017
Last night I wanted to get into this game with a friend. Turns out it is literally unplayable for me because of lag and ruberbanding. It's impossible for me to travel by ship, I'm contantly warped into the ocean and he has to wait and pick me up. Climbing a ladder is a nightmare.

Is this a known issue? Can I do something on my end? My friend is located in the same city as I am and he had zero problems...

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Last night I wanted to get into this game with a friend. Turns out it is literally unplayable for me because of lag and ruberbanding. It's impossible for me to travel by ship, I'm contantly warped into the ocean and he has to wait and pick me up. Climbing a ladder is a nightmare.

Is this a known issue? Can I do something on my end? My friend is located in the same city as I am and he had zero problems...
Never had much of a issue with lag. Especially not that bad.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018

I've only had this in the beta days when they were swapping servers. Haven't had it since.. So not sure what you can do.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
So I started playing again recently because of the rowboats and cargo runs. Been having fun but Holy Shit I am still reminded why I stopped. I am tired of pvp. I don't want to have anything to do with it. Just leave me alone and let me kill skeletons and dig up treasure. Give me a fucking pve mode Rare. Enough of this shit. Will probably stop playing for awhile now.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Welp.

I just managed to sell my founders code for £190.

Not bad for playing around in a beta for a few hours.

AkimbOb-omb

Oct 30, 2017
Never had much of a issue with lag. Especially not that bad.

I've only had this in the beta days when they were swapping servers. Haven't had it since.. So not sure what you can do.

Thanks for the replies guys. Can't play this game :(

maybe the problem is on my end, though Blackout, Fortnite and Horizon 4 work perfectly fine online... well, I need to change my internet provider and upgrade my bandwith anyway, maybe that's going to help.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Thanks for the replies guys. Can't play this game :(

maybe the problem is on my end, though Blackout, Fortnite and Horizon 4 work perfectly fine online... well, I need to change my internet provider and upgrade my bandwith anyway, maybe that's going to help.

It's weird that your friend doesn't have the same problem while he's in the same location. If you were both located in, let's say New Zealand, It would make more sense to me. Can imagine it's hard to find a server for 16 people in Oceania at the same moment.

AkimbOb-omb

Oct 30, 2017
It's weird that your friend doesn't have the same problem while he's in the same location. If you were both located in, let's say New Zealand, It would make more sense to me. Can imagine it's hard to find a server for 16 people in Oceania at the same moment.
Nah, we both live in a city with 2 million people in central europe. He has 100K Mbit/s and I have a crappy 16K Mbit/s connection with a horrendous upload speed. I guess that's the reason.

Nuri

Jan 4, 2018
Random fact: I was the second guy from the screen singing during the "pirate-rolling" segment in the panel lol.

You can see my humerus
But it doesn't mean I'm funny
I've got no skin so I don't get tanned
When outside its hot and sunny

What could I be?

Last edited:

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Next big content update is in November called Shrouded Spoils. Teased a few new things coming with it:

• Expanded Ship Customization. (Wheel, Cannons etc..)
  • Fog will now be in the world.
  • Commendations for Pirate Legends.
Beyond that update. At XO18 on November the 10th, Craig and Joe will be on Inside Xbox to reveal the next update after Shrouded Spoils. Says it will be a big change and will require a lot of testing with the community.

There will also be a live panel on the 11th where they will talk more.

Deleted member 274

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I dropped this shit a while ago but I'll share with you an exploit me and my friends used a occasionally when in a hurry, it basically allows you to teleport anything from anywhere in the server to your ship in a few seconds.

It involves sending whoever is near the thing you want to take with you, be it a chest, a skull, a crate or whatever, to the brig as soon as they pick the object up. Pretty simple stuff since all you need is a little bit of coordination with the person who's making the last vote, me and my mates used a 3 seconds count, the one voting would basically start counting and both persons involved would vote and pick up the object at the same time

It only works on the brigantine and the galleon for obvious reason

Then after you successfully make it back to the ship with the thing all you gotta do is do the same process again but now instead of voting to put in the brig you're voting to release them (this is not needed for small objects like skulls and relics, for some reason you can pick up those from outside the brig if placed near the bars.

Now, this is something that is not as game changer as it sounds, mainly because the window to do it even through coordination is smallish so it lends to some human mistakes.

Maybe some people here already know about it but considering we discovered it since launch and they've yet to acknowledge it let alone patch makes it appear not as widespread as other exploits in the past, and I haven't seen that many people bring it up either so

OmarTheHippo

Oct 27, 2017
So I dropped this shit a while ago but I'll share with you an exploit me and my friends used a occasionally when in a hurry, it basically allows you to teleport anything from anywhere in the server to your ship in a few seconds.

It involves sending whoever is near the thing you want to take with you, be it a chest, a skull, a crate or whatever, to the brig as soon as they pick the object up. Pretty simple stuff since all you need is a little bit of coordination with the person who's making the last vote, me and my mates used a 3 seconds count, the one voting would basically start counting and both persons involved would vote and pick up the object at the same time

It only works on the brigantine and the galleon for obvious reason

Then after you successfully make it back to the ship with the thing all you gotta do is do the same process again but now instead of voting to put in the brig you're voting to release them (this is not needed for small objects like skulls and relics, for some reason you can pick up those from outside the brig if placed near the bars.

Now, this is something that is not as game changer as it sounds, mainly because the window to do it even through coordination is smallish so it lends to some human mistakes.

Maybe some people here already know about it but considering we discovered it since launch and they've yet to acknowledge it let alone patch makes it appear not as widespread as other exploits in the past, and I haven't seen that many people bring it up either so
Have you tried this recently? They patched out the mermaid teleportation glitch a couple of patches ago. Haven't seen many incidental teleportation (like randomly teleporting back with loot when stuck) since then

Deleted member 274

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have you tried this recently? They patched out the mermaid teleportation glitch a couple of patches ago. Haven't seen many incidental teleportation (like randomly teleporting back with loot when stuck) since then
It worked at least until the patch that introduced the volcanoes, forgot the name

But that one had nothing to do with it. Different thing afaik

BIGT468

Oct 26, 2017
Chicago IL

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Not played this for over a month and decided to jump back in with friends last night.

A few thoughts-

The good

Volcanic islands are brilliantly done, I love how dangerous they feel and how your risking your crew and ship even being near them

I like the new flag system

I also like the new cannon balls available

Sharks seem to spawn far less frequently which is brilliant.

The bad

We were griefed by other players for our entire game. We were attacked constantly and even found ships camping outposts. In the end, doing quests for little reward wasn't worth the hassle. We dropped on islands to dig up treasure, fight Skeltons and explore new stuff and our anchored ship was attack and sank by 4 man crews multiple times. Out of the 5 hours we played we made around 1000g each which just felt like a massive waste of time in the end and puts us off coming back

Gun powerder barrel skeletons are way over powered. 9 times out of 10 one of us would be dead if one appeared.

Combat doesn't feel as fluid as when I last played. I can't put my finger on it, but there seemed to be a freeze in animation when in combat. Maybe this was lag

Storms seem to be more brutal than ever and I was hit by lighting several times while in one, as were my team mates. They say lighting doesn't strike twice..well they're right in sea of thieves, it strikes 5 times per person. I know this is event based, but it seems weird for the lighting to constantly hit the characters rather than the ship.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2017
It was pretty simple, but I had fun getting every commendation in this Halloween Bilge Rat Adventure. I did the majority of it solo.

BIGT468

Oct 26, 2017
Chicago IL
Storms seem to be more brutal than ever and I was hit by lighting several times while in one, as were my team mates. They say lighting doesn't strike twice..well they're right in sea of thieves, it strikes 5 times per person. I know this is event based, but it seems weird for the lighting to constantly hit the characters rather than the ship.

Lightning strikes are currently turned up for the festival of the damned event.

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
So what do we think the big change that requires a tonne of community testing is going to be?

I can't help but feel there needs to be more players per server, a PVP BR mode, a safe haven port royale in which all crews can play a bunch of games together and NPC ships beyond just the skelly ships.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
They've said as recently as 2-3 weeks ago (NYCC panel) that there is no plan to add more players per server. Some thoughts:

• Some kind of PVE mode with a separate progression line is a good idea for the parents with kids who love to play SoT (myself included) but get killed repeatedly by more experienced PVPers. It's HIGHLY requested, so, I think they probably figured out a way to do it while also not taking away from the 'real' game.
• Add another faction, PVP-focused (alongside the PVE introduction).
• Clan affiliation and daily/weekly goals. Allow clans to control forts on the seas to multiply XP/gold earnings.
• Opening up the potion shop, which has been at outposts and is currently boarded up. Sells in-game boosts via gold (no microtransactions).
• Allow player-made designs for liveries, clothes, tattoos, etc.

Last edited:

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
So what do we think the big change that requires a tonne of community testing is going to be?

I can't help but feel there needs to be more players per server, a PVP BR mode, a safe haven port royale in which all crews can play a bunch of games together and NPC ships beyond just the skelly ships.
i dont have the link on hand but an interview given before that announcement implies its more directed story content

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
i dont have the link on hand but an interview given before that announcement implies its more directed story content
See, I like story content, but the problem is that it's finite.

They have a great game somewhere here, even in it's current form it's the best thing I've played all year (from a unique multiplayer perspective).

I wrote the below as a thoughts/wishlist on Sea of Thieves back in July (and indeed sent it into Rare, you can see how many ideas they clearly were already in progress of implementing...)

Thing wot I would add to that there Piratey Game:

1. Quality of Life Improvements
Sea of Thieves is a game like no other – a shared world adventure where players can live out a pirate fantasy against other worldly creatures, tropical storms, underwater beasties and most importantly – other pirates! The game offers something unusual in today's gaming sphere, and that is horizontal progression. The premise being that any player, at any time they choose to start to play is on an even playing field with anyone else. What I feel we need to recognise is that not all players find that satisfying. So what can we change within the game to improve that experience and vary a pirates journey on their way to become legend and beyond?

Sea of Thieves currently offers 3 "Guilds" – The Goldhoarders, which contain riddle and "X" marks the spot quests. The Merchant Alliance, tasking players with gathering animals and resources and delivering them from one port to another. And the Order of Souls, taking players with killing waves of enemy skeletons to gather skulls. Each of there guilds rewards players with gold and reputation. The gold can be used to purchase cosmetic additions for your pirate.

Below are my suggestions for what I think will enrich the world for players that have been here since launch (much like myself) and players that are just setting sail for the first time.

2. Goldhoarders Quest Variation
What can be implemented to improve the Goldhoarders quest progression and bring variety to the player?

It is my opinion the new systems must allow for the following:

· Ability to allow players to understand how many in game days a quest will take to complete. (Useful for solo players or parents!)

· Addition of more cursed chests, adding variety and danger to the journey. Some ideas for cursed chests (beyond the chest of sorrows or the chest of a thousand grogs) include:

1. The Dark Chest – the player carrying the chest becomes blind, meaning other players are forced to guide the player back to the ship.

2. The Magnetic Chest – Causes all compass and map information to spin uncontrollably. Players will have to navigate by the sun and stars to find their way while it is onboard.

3. The Chest of Mischief – unless watched directly by a player, this chest will walk away or jump overboard.

4. The Chest of Pirate Renown – this chest is extremely valuable and can only be delivered to the furthest outpost from your ship (at the time it is dug from the earth). But it also alerts every ship on the server to your location until it is cashed in.

· For riddle quests, they should be more complex and always reward players with a high value chest as a reward. At present, players have no idea what reward will be given for a riddle quest, and many burn them to save time. If Riddles were structured to move between islands, and include things like:

1. Defeating a wave of skeletons in order to unlock the next leg of the riddle.

2. Give any form of supplies to another crew in order to unlock the next leg of a riddle.

3. Carry a certain amount of loot on board to unlock the next leg of a riddle.

· A new form of quest – the co-op quest – requires co-operation of another crew, taking advantage of the "alliance" feature. (In later in document)

3. The Merchant Alliance Quest Variation
What can be implemented to improve the Merchant Alliance quest progression and bring variety to the player?

· Ability to allow players to understand how many in game days a quest will take to complete. (Useful for solo players or parents!)

· Addition of more variety in terms of method to gain Merchant Alliance Reputation – see below.

· Addition of merchant trade routes from outpost to outpost (quickest routes displayed on the ship map via a red dotted line or some other visual indicator). Accepting a "Trade Route" mission requires the player to load 20 crates of various goods to the player ship and carry them to another outpost. The quickest route is then highlighted on the ship map allowing players to plot a course. Unlike the normal merchant quests, these must be completed very quickly. As the trade routes are known, Merchant vessels can be at risk from attack by other pirates. Achievements and reputation gain can be shared by forming alliances with other player vessels, who can then guard the ship.

· Alternatively, as AI ships now exist in the game world, merchant vessels themselves could be the quest, tasking players to guard them from one outpost to another for monetary reward.

4. Order of Souls Quest Variation
What can be implemented to improve the Merchant Alliance quest progression and bring variety to the player?

· Addition of more variety of skulls, including cursed skulls, similar to cursed chests.

· Allow skellies to swim, preventing players from "cheesing" enemy AI by standing on the shore line.

5. Skull Forts
· Remove the ability for players to stand at the doorway of the main fort and slash at the walls, "cheesing" the enemy AI to complete a fort as quickly as possible.

FUTURE IMPROVEMENTS, IDEAS AND SUGGESTIONS - Overview
6. Ship Respawns
Players currently respawn after being sunk with a small number of cannon/wood/bananas.

What this can mean is that a crew that successfully defeat a crew, only for them to return within 5-10 minutes to deal more damage and dwindle the winning crews supplies.

Solution: On first spawn into the server, crews start with the current amount of supplies. If a crew is defeated, a ship HAS to return to an outpost and visit the Shipwright to restock with the default amount of supplies.

7. Combat
At present, I would describe combat as serviceable – certainly it feels unique to Sea of Thieves and is in keeping with the easy going nature of the game. With little to no aim assist, the mechanics feel dominated by specific design choices (five bullets/one shot/long reload times) which have numerous negative consequences. The reload time in particular results in significant downtime during fights, mostly spent bunny hopping and trying to avoid getting shot.

Suggestions for improvement:

· Allow players to pick ammunition from the dead/defeated. (This could be limited to PVP engagements only)

· Active Reload mechanic – reward players for skilled play by allowing a faster reload if timed correctly.

· Sword combat is slow and unresponsive –strange delays after swinging and a lack of feedback and impact. Overall responsiveness should be improved.

· Melee weapons could have different properties – for example, a two handed weapon could be slow but powerful, while a rapier would be faster but lighter in damage dealt.

· Axe – allows enemy players to pry planks from repairs made to create leaks in an enemy ship. Would only work on previously repaired holes.

8. Future Long-term Ideas and Gameplay additions
Below is a list of ideas and thoughts I've had that I feel would add to the game in a positive way.

· Alliance – Players that want to co-operate with other crews can enter into a formal alliance, allowing gold earned via quests to be shared among multiple crews. To initiate this, a player can enter another players ship and place an Alliance Quest on the Captains Table. The crew can then vote to accept the alliance. Once accepted, all gold and reputation is shared amongst the crews. This alliance can be broken at any time by opening fire or betraying the crew.

· Grappling – At present, the only way to end ship vs ship combat is with one ship on the bottom of the ocean. The only way to board is to ram and jump on, or to wait in the ocean as the ship sails past and grab a ladder. Using a grappling hook, crews can hit a ship and tether them, dropping anchor and pulling the ship closer. Crew can defend this by chopping at the grappling hook once it has hit the ship.

· Mast damage – if a crew successfully hits a mast, it can result in torn sails and a drop in speed. Sails can be repaired via a new resource (cloth)

· Fire – Fire can spread on a ship and can be put out with buckets of water.

· Kraken difficulty increase – at present the Kraken is a mere inconvenience. The Kraken should move faster, cause more damage and become a frequent genuine worry for a crew on the sea.

· Instant rewards/loot – If players achieve something, there should be a reward. If a crew defeats a kraken, they should be awarded cosmetic items (be that directly, or via a loot spawn from where the Kraken is defeated). The same can be said for the Megaldon. Additionally, although care is needed to ensure PVP does not become the primary game play style, rewards should be given for successful crew take down. If I want to be part of a feared crew, let my crew gain notoriety.

· In-Game Clans (Ship names) – if you join a clan/crew, a player can choose to display the crew title. For example – on viewing, my pirate would display "Sikamikanico – Pirate Legend of the Black Hurl". Clans could earn notoriety among the Sea of Thieves.

· Port Royale – a safe harbor where pirates in a session can dock, play card/dice games and do silly pirate things. Defended by AI pirate cannons.

· Snow/Ice Biome – perhaps a future expansion. Blizzards and icebergs….

· Whirlpools – could occur around some sort of sea monster?

· Legendary Pirate End game additions – the Legendary cave needs to be realised,with additions to customisation for Legendary ships, such as:

1. Custom Wheels

2. Custom Lamps (Colour/Design)

3. Haunted Sails

4. Altered profile in comparison to a standard Galleon (Same functionally, just more epic visually)

OmarTheHippo

Oct 27, 2017
I just don't think PvP is as easily separated from the game as people think. Combat is pretty dang simplistic; a PvP only server would be ridiculously boring after a few days. PvP without stakes or progression isn't what PvPers want

Watch some of the PvP streams, and most have people having fun and being creative with their mayhem. That dies in a PvP only server, or if the possibility of a PvE only exists. It will be just ships shooting ships and no one doing missions or carrying loot. No one would stick around long for that

It's a pretty neutered sandbox without PvP. Just read through all the stories in this thread of people's most fun experiences. Nearly all will involve PvP elements. The rest are team up stories from Skelies and Meg. Combine the two; give us a good bounty system. Create disencentivises to sinking empty ships. Incentivize learning PvP skills with bounties. Encourage organic alliances for protection and combat. Create meaningful stakes to shape player behavior, not straight up dictate behavior by disabling combat

I worry Rare waited too long to address the issue, and now have nothing left to use that can add stakes for a large segment of the playerbase (rich, Athena 10, on a stockpile of doubloons...). But I know most of those people don't want to sit in a server just shooting cannon balls at eachother with nothing to gain

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't think PvP is as easily separated from the game as people think. Combat is pretty dang simplistic; a PvP only server would be ridiculously boring after a few days. PvP without stakes or progression isn't what PvPers want

Watch some of the PvP streams, and most have people having fun and being creative with their mayhem. That dies in a PvP only server, or if the possibility of a PvE only exists. It will be just ships shooting ships and no one doing missions or carrying loot. No one would stick around long for that

It's a pretty neutered sandbox without PvP. Just read through all the stories in this thread of people's most fun experiences. Nearly all will involve PvP elements. The rest are team up stories from Skelies and Meg. Combine the two; give us a good bounty system. Create disencentivises to sinking empty ships. Incentivize learning PvP skills with bounties. Encourage organic alliances for protection and combat. Create meaningful stakes to shape player behavior, not straight up dictate behavior by disabling combat

I worry Rare waited too long to address the issue, and now have nothing left to use that can add stakes for a large segment of the playerbase (rich, Athena 10, on a stockpile of doubloons...). But I know most of those people don't want to sit in a server just shooting cannon balls at eachother with nothing to gain

Pretty much. PvP servers would suck for everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.