• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to this update. Because it's one step closer to Arena.

And then....then it is the age of the RESURGENCE.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As much as I love Halo laser tag arena & family megablock area talk...

Where is my SoT info? Why is the stuff I'm waiting for at the end?

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
- friends play free (3 passes per existing player (Physical, Download, Game Pass) for FTP week)
- bug fixes
- General Combat Balances (sounds like perks for Sword play & Blunderbuss)
- Double Gun Nerfed
- Hip Fire Nerfed
- Mercenary Voyages inspired by Gilded voyages
- can turn off opposing crew names (to prevent stream sniping)

March 20th is 1 year anniversary

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
It seems to me despite what they said on stream the only actual qualification for generating codes is being in the insider program (which just requires signing up for email updates) regardless of if you own the game or not. theoretically your friends could generate three more codes a pop

havent been able to fully test it

Phoenix944

Oct 28, 2017
I'm going to try this game with the free week promotion (pc). I will play it with some friends.
I don' t really know what to expect, from what I understand it's more of a sandbox game without a solid story to follow.
I just fear that the game will be fun for a week but then become boring because lack of content/things to do. In a few word, for those who play it for some month now, is it still fun for you ?

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to try this game with the free week promotion (pc). I will play it with some friends.
I don' t really know what to expect, from what I understand it's more of a sandbox game without a solid story to follow.
I just fear that the game will be fun for a week but then become boring because lack of content/things to do. In a few word, for those who play it for some month now, is it still fun for you ?
The online interaction either sells it for you or not. It's the interaction both PvP and non aggressive that makes the game special even though the PvE content is repetitive. If you find a good group and get into mischief the game doesn't really get old.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA

I have been playing over a year now (since the start of the closed beta), and still play several days a week since the game launched. It is still fun for me - in part because every session can play out differently from another depending on what I choose to do, what the other people on a server are doing, and how that intersects with the other things going on in the world itself. You're never playing completely alone—and that is the thing that brings me back time and again. Seeing another player ship approaching and not knowing their intention... Are they here to be friends, or are they going to try some treacherous stuff — it still gives me goosebumps, and I am already a pirate legend/level 50 in all the factions. A large part of why I keep coming back is that I've found a regular crew to pirate with who also play as often as I do.

While the game is a sandbox and the progression is largely for more cosmetics and better voyages, it has been the only game I have ever played for a year straight without stopping (and no end in sight).

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Had a hilarious session tonight where a friend and I rolled up on a sloop that just finished a skeleton raid. My friend started lighting it up immediately and I heard the dude yelling into the mic, "So you guys are going to blow my shit up when I just did this raid solo?!"

I felt bad because we've all been there lol, then I told him to join an alliance and let's be buds. He joined, we plundered, we killed a Meg, and it was glorious.

Sometimes ya just gotta question yourself as you wonder, "Is this the pirate I want to be? The kind who screws over solo sloops after a raid?" And tonight that answer was no :]

This game continues to be wonderful and proximity chat is low-key one of the greatest underutilized features in gaming.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
PC user here, man, I keep remembering why I absolutely detest the Microsoft Store every now and then.
The servers are back up and when I try to play it says it's a different version, but there is no update in the store. I remembered (from reading it here) someone saying that you had to reinstall, so I decide to uninstall the game, except there is no uninstall button anywhere to be found on the store (at least I couldn't find it). I uninstall it from the Windows options.
Now I try to install it again and it keeps giving me errors when trying to download, and whenever I get it to work I know the download speed is going to be insanely slow in comparison to every other store I've used, including the Switch eshop.

This is ridiculous.... (and yes, I want to get back and play the game!)

Chiramii

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
  • When running a multi-monitor setup with different refresh rates, the main monitor will no longer assume the refresh rate of the lowest monitor.
This change is HUGE if it's what I think it is. I'm still downloading so I haven't tested it yet, but I have a dual monitor setup (144hz/75hz), and having programs open or watching twitch on my second monitor while playing has been a nightmare.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Downloading 28GB right now, so it'll take a while to jump in.

The combat changes are more than just the double gunning by the way:

• Double-Gun Switching – The Flintlock, Blunderbuss and Eye of Reach have new wield animations and enforce a delay when equipping and switching between these weapons.

• Fluid Swordplay – Missing a Cutlass swing no longer slows player movement down, ensuring a more fluid swordplay experience.

• Eye of Reach Hipfire – Reduced accuracy when hipfiring the Eye of Reach. Under pressure you can still get lucky with a Hip-Fired Eye of Reach shot, however at mid to long range this is significantly reduced.

• Weapon Knockback – Flintlock & Eye of Reach shots will no longer apply knock back to enemies hit, Cutlass and Blunderbuss however will still retain their ability knock back players. Skeletons wielding Pistol, Blunderbuss & Eye of Reach have also had their ability to knockback players removed.

• Weapon Reload Improvements – Following the recent changes to the Eye of Reach, now both the Flintlock & Blunderbuss reload the moment the hammer is pulled. This allows players to sprint sooner when reloading without restarting the animation.

• Bullet Projectile Speed – Bullets fired from a Blunderbuss or Eye of Reach now travel faster through the air, providing more predictable accuracy at range.

• Weapon Damage Falloff – Bullet damage no longer decreases over distance.

• Eye of Reach Damage – Reduced Eye of Reach Damage by a small amount to ensure this weapon's damage is balanced following the improvements to bullet speed and damage falloff.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
A bunch of restarts and AppData folder deletion later, I still can't install this game. I wanted to play tonight (it's 23:30 here) but I guess that won't happen since this trashy piece of garbage of a store just won't work.

I have absolutely no clue what to do anymore...

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
  • Kitchen Delivery - The shipwrights have fitted new Stoves and Roasting Pans to Sloop, Brig and Galleons. We weren't expecting delivery so soon, who signed for this order?
  • Streamlined Hulls - The shipwrights have been busy streamlining the hulls on the Sloop, Brig & Galleons. They all now have strange cutouts near the bow, they've said this is more streamlined - we're yet to be convinced...
kitchen implies crafting of some sort i'd imagine, but what about the hull cutout, what is that hinting at?

Chiramii

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
A bunch of restarts and AppData folder deletion later, I still can't install this game. I wanted to play tonight (it's 23:30 here) but I guess that won't happen since this trashy piece of garbage of a store just won't work.

I have absolutely no clue what to do anymore...
What is your problem exactly? Do you have problems opening the store, or do you have issues downloading?

You could try to run "WSreset" if you haven't already.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
  • Kitchen Delivery - The shipwrights have fitted new Stoves and Roasting Pans to Sloop, Brig and Galleons. We weren't expecting delivery so soon, who signed for this order?
  • Streamlined Hulls - The shipwrights have been busy streamlining the hulls on the Sloop, Brig & Galleons. They all now have strange cutouts near the bow, they've said this is more streamlined - we're yet to be convinced...
kitchen implies crafting of some sort i'd imagine, but what about the hull cutout, what is that hinting at?

I suspect movable cannons. Maybe you can hold a button on a cannon to drag it slowly to the front of the ship if you're chasing another ship. Faster with multiple people.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
We also had these hints about potions. And now a kitchen?

It's gonna be busy on the ship. I'll also need some time to feed my cat.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
  • Calming the Kraken – The Kraken has learnt to pick on someone her own size and will now take it easier on Sloops.
  • A Ghost on the Waves - Rumours of a pale beast in the waves have been circulating heavily, with sightings becomes slightly more frequent as it's grown in its infamy.
It's insane that I've found a couple boxes of Mystery before even seeing the last Meg...

Last edited:

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
New fort in the Devils Roar is exciting! Shame it's not live yet but I've been wanting one there for ages.

Also, Pioneers, check your patch notes.

SealedSeven

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Communities -> Pioneer hub -> Pioneer Patch Notes

I think?

I'll have to check once their site stops erroring out on me, but doesn't seem like I can see it from initial looks. Wonder if I have to do something in my account first.

Weird as i know I'm in it after playing pioneer on the weekend

EDIT: Ah, got it. had to opt in still through my account. now shows up

EDIT2: Holy shit......

Last edited:

calder

Oct 25, 2017
Oh ffs, my buddy wants to try SoT so I go to their garbage website to get a key. It says I need to be in the Insider program so they can send me spam which is annoying but whatever, I sign up and wait for their email. And wait. And wait. I never get the Insider email and there is no way to resend it or get the codes without finishing that step, despite the fact they immediately email me about other shit. They even email me to tell me I can get some one week codes but of course if I click on that it brings me back to the Insider signup page. Web design is just awful nowadays, so annoying.

"You should receive a confirmation from us in the next few minutes. If you don't see it, please check your email spam filter." Yeah thanks for nothing Rare

SealedSeven

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Oh ffs, my buddy wants to try SoT so I go to their garbage website to get a key. It says I need to be in the Insider program so they can send me spam which is annoying but whatever, I sign up and wait for their email. And wait. And wait. I never get the Insider email and there is no way to resend it or get the codes without finishing that step, despite the fact they immediately email me about other shit. They even email me to tell me I can get some one week codes but of course if I click on that it brings me back to the Insider signup page. Web design is just awful nowadays, so annoying.

"You should receive a confirmation from us in the next few minutes. If you don't see it, please check your email spam filter." Yeah thanks for nothing Rare

Their site has been acting up this morning. Been getting errors every few minutes. I think it's getting bombarded with people going for those codes.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
Well at least it wasn't just me lol

Wonder what the odds are when the site is back up I'll be able to complete the process to get the one stupid code I want.

klaus

Oct 28, 2017

Sucks, check your private messages, I have a little gift for you :)

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
It's not pithy; the free week promotion barely qualifies as the kind of surprise people were expecting. This is a game on a service that gives everyone a free trial. already. It's entirely reasonable that people expected the surprise to be game content

I assumed the new skeleton fort in the Devils Roar was gonna be the 'surprise' but looks like it's not finished/active yet. Surprise in that they talked about combat changes all along in this update but didn't ever tease a whole new skull fort in the Roar which, to me, seemed like a fairly big deal considering the region has never had one.

Or maybe the inactive stove in the ship was the surprise all along ;)

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to get it in and try these changes. There were the exact ones I thought were needed for weapon balancing. Hope it leaves combat In a better place.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
It's not pithy; the free week promotion barely qualifies as the kind of surprise people were expecting. This is a game on a service that gives everyone a free trial. already. It's entirely reasonable that people expected the surprise to be game content
Oh shut the fuck up dude. They never talked it up as anything more than a small surprise. Its a cool lil promo

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
This is the fort in Devil's Roar

Eu7QgGk.jpg

Thanks Plecotuz on Twitter. :P

I think they should've used more water. The steaming water would be the tricky element in these forts.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is the fort in Devil's Roar

Eu7QgGk.jpg

Thanks Plecotuz on Twitter. :P

I think they should've used more water. The steaming water would be the tricky element in these forts.

With the active geysers the fort's going to clear itself. It will be one hell of a game of hide and seek to find where the captain died.

Oh and as always the Domino effect of kegs going off will be fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.