• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Probably because they will be the first paid expansions to the game (as far as I know), and the rest of the update is completely free. Would make sense to announce these separately, to keep the messaging clear.
For paid expansion do you mean pets will be the first microtransactions for the game, or that there will be a massive chunk of content akin to an MMO expansion that pets are one piece of?

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
Was chatting about pets with a mate earlier. I'd love it if pets had passive abilities, like:

Parrot - would circle over the closest 'X' on your map to help you find a chest.

Monkey - would grab bananas for you if you went on land.

Cat - would hiss/scratch enemies if they get too close/on board.

Dog - would bark if enemies are nearby or perhaps forage cannonballs/sniff out treasure.

And so on.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Was chatting about pets with a mate earlier. I'd love it if pets had passive abilities, like:

Parrot - would circle over the closest 'X' on your map to help you find a chest.

Dog - would bark if enemies are nearby or perhaps forage cannonballs/sniff out treasure.

And so on.

That's a great idea, other than it could be viewed as ability progression, especially problematic (imo) coupled with paid ability progression

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

And so on.
Genius idea.
That's a great idea, other than it could be viewed as ability progression, especially problematic (imo) coupled with paid ability progression
It's not progression if you can use the animals at any level and change them out whenever you'd like. I'm imagining something like Castle Crashers where you can choose whichever animal companion you want, granted you find them in the wild, or they could have them hanging around outposts for you to pick up before going on adventures.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Genius idea.

It's not progression if you can use the animals at any level and change them out whenever you'd like. I'm imagining something like Castle Crashers where you can choose whichever animal companion you want, granted you find them in the wild, or they could have them hanging around outposts for you to pick up before going on adventures.
it is if you have to grind tens/hundreds of thousands in gold, or complete lengthy required tasks, in order to have the ability. especially if its easy to swap between pets at a given notice. someone that has played for ages would absolutely have a leg up on those that don't - they could swap back and forth between many "perks" while new players would have few if any. this is in obvious contradiction to everything else about sea of thieves - where a player loading it up for the very first time has all the tools at their disposal as anyone else (aside from what cosmetics are tied to those tools). i'm not necessarily against this, in fact i think i love it (as said) but it would be a change in the very purposeful design it presently has.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
it is if you have to grind tens/hundreds of thousands in gold, or complete lengthy required tasks, in order to have the ability. especially if its easy to swap between pets at a given notice. someone that has played for ages would absolutely have a leg up on those that don't - they could swap back and forth between many "perks" while new players would have few if any. this is in obvious contradiction to everything else about sea of thieves - where a player loading it up for the very first time has all the tools at their disposal as anyone else (aside from what cosmetics are tied to those tools). i'm not necessarily against this, in fact i think i love it (as said) but it would be a change in the very purposeful design it presently has.
I know, I agree with you, did you read what I said differently?

What Sika was suggesting about each animal having different abilities has nothing to do with progression. They'd be like cursed cannonballs, finding them in the wild and being able to use them regardless of your level. Each animal could provide their own unique benefit that anyone has access to.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
I know, I agree with you, did you read what I said differently?

What Sika was suggesting about each animal having different abilities has nothing to do with progression. They'd be like cursed cannonballs, finding them in the wild and being able to use them regardless of your level. Each animal could provide their own unique benefit that anyone has access to.

i must have read sik's post wrong (?) but i dont see anything in it about finding pets. i thought the whole idea behind pets was that these would be paid content, or at best, paid content OR unlockable through extended gameplay. thats the assumption i'm responding to - and yeah, i did misread your post, which is based off a different assumption, that they are freely found in the game world.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
i must have read sik's post wrong (?) but i dont see anything in it about finding pets. i thought the whole idea behind pets was that these would be paid content, or at best, paid content OR unlockable through extended gameplay. thats the assumption i'm responding to - and yeah, i did misread your post, which is based off a different assumption, that they are freely found in the game world.
Why do you think they'll be paid content? Have I missed something? If so, that'll be incredibly disappointing. I heard you can find a monkey at an outpost to have follow you around. I wasn't in the pirate program so idk if it's been explained more, but that's the assumption I was going by.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Why do you think they'll be paid content? Have I missed something? If so, that'll be incredibly disappointing. I heard you can find a monkey at an outpost to have follow you around. I wasn't in the pirate program so idk if it's been explained more, but that's the assumption I was going by.

of course plans may have changed, but this has been mentioned as the first paid content for some time

To that end, the first addition to the Sea of Thieves premium shop will be virtual pets, which you can buy directly (individually). These pets work like other items in the game: they're physical objects that can be held not just by the owner, but by other players.

"It's entirely optional, but if you had a monkey, for example, you'll be able to hold it like you can other things in the game, but then I'll also be able to hold it, then drop it overboard, because that's funny," Neate explained.

"It'll come back. It'll be fine! I desperately want us to be able to fire other stuff out of cannons, including monkeys and other animals, just because it's fun, right?

"So even if you were the only person who had bought a pet, but you had it on board, your crew would be able to enjoy the benefits of a monkey. It's about adding to the fun and social nature. It's just the right spirit for what Sea of Thieves is. Again, it's completely optional. You will know what you're getting. It doesn't affect power and it doesn't affect progression."

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-02-13-yes-sea-of-thieves-has-a-premium-shop

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
of course plans may have changed, but this has been mentioned as the first paid content for some time
latest

Chiramii

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
With the amount of free updates we've got over the last year, and with the anniversary update on its way, I'm ready for a lil' MTX to give something back to the devs. Pet abilities like the ones mentioned earlier would be awesome, but with pets costing money I suspect the community feedback would be less than ideal.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I think it would be cool if purchased pets always returned to you. Otherwise, for free you find wild animals that can runaway/get lost/stolen and you'll have to find replacements in the environment.

SealedSeven

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
With the amount of free updates we've got over the last year, and with the anniversary update on its way, I'm ready for a lil' MTX to give something back to the devs. Pet abilities like the ones mentioned earlier would be awesome, but with pets costing money I suspect the community feedback would be less than ideal.

I don't think all pets will be behind MTX. It'll likely be variants.

Dahellisdat

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
These reapers runs are driving me nuts. Twice when we didn't have a full crew, we opened it up and ended up getting a troll that pulled out reapers flag down in the middle of the run. Feel like I can't trust anyone in an open crew anymore which sucks when I don't have friends online to play with.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
These reapers runs are driving me nuts. Twice when we didn't have a full crew, we opened it up and ended up getting a troll that pulled out reapers flag down in the middle of the run. Feel like I can't trust anyone in an open crew anymore which sucks when I don't have friends online to play with.
I'd suggest the Official Discords LFG. Lot of cool people there.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
this was a weird glitch, i guess caused by the proximity of the meg when it died?

shortly after the clip the game took me to a black screen, respawned me, and the meg was gone with treasure left behind.

SealedSeven

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Depending on what server you get, either your sword lands and you own or you're missing/getting blocked easily and blocking doesn't work for you.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
I had momentarily joined this large Fleet and they had some interesting rules. You had to dig up everything. If you had merchant you didn't want you had to dump it in deep water and you even had to pick up all the message in a bottles. Apparently all that stuff lags the servers. It's true too because this past Week me and my friends were doing Shipwreck Bay reapers voyage and I tapped 5 voyages worth of Captains chest and left them on the island till the end and yeah everything was getting pretty buggy.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
How long do we have to get the current commendations/cosmetics? Until the next update?

Chiramii

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
Me and a friend lost about 80 captain's chest last night while doing reapers. That's what we get for not turning in, haha! We're both PL and are hovering around 1.5 million gold so the loss wasn't catastrophic. I'm more weirded out about people's behaviour.

So the first 40 chest went to two french dudes throwing the usual teenage trashtalk like, "Lol you both are trash! Get a life reta***! We stole your shit, lululul! We're new and have played this for 20 minutes!". Went detective-mode on the guy and discovered he was PL too, had visited more islands and had turned in more chests than me, so there goes the 20 minutes argument. Not that I believed him in the first place.

The other 40 or so chests was stolen by a solo dude that boarded our sloop when we were on Shipwreck Bay and blew our boat up with our own gunpowder barrels. I'm never gonna get mad by a play like that. But again it had to be some weird dude just seeking out people to fuck with. On our way back to Shipwreck with a new sloop we could see this trail of loot floating in the ocean. Don't know if he did this to slow us down, but at the end we found the rowboat in the middle of nowhere and the rest of the loot was gone. Probably lost on the seafloor. There was never another boat in sight other than when he boarded our sloop initially so I can't imagine he got away with the rest of the stuff himself.

Probably our strangest day on the seas.

Inti

Nov 20, 2017

I love this. They have a way about them that gives great vibes. They should be proud of how far they have taken this game. From being a fun game it's become my go to multiplayer game this Gen. I've had such a blast with this game, such great memories.

On another note:

Has anyone found the White Megalodon, the "Shrouded" one? I've been looking and looking and have not been able to find it. Any tips are welcomed. Happy sailing Era.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017

interesting. didn't they say potions were a thing before release? that is what that closed shop above the order of souls is right?

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
I hope food provides status effects too. There are so many ways they could play with things using potions, enchantments and food.

Chiramii

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
Just do the BotW style of cooking. Throw stuff in the pan and see what happens. It's so lighthearted and fun that it would be a perfect fit for SoT.

Last edited:

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know if the Reaper's Voyages can still be done (for the commendations) but you just won't earn the cosmetic after Wednesday?

Johnohno

Hero of Bowerstone
Nov 6, 2017
Anyone know if the Reaper's Voyages can still be done (for the commendations) but you just won't earn the cosmetic after Wednesday?

Yeah you can still do them. If you're going for the commendation for doing 5 though they do stop selling them in the shop so you'll need to find others who've kept one as I believe you can only hold one at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.